Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Avalon or 2007 LS?

nceencee Member Posts: 419
Ok, so they aren't the same car, but here's what I'm up against.

I put on 35,000+- miles a year, my 2008 Avalon Touring edition (Purchased in 2009) has 65,000+ miles on it. my local Toyota dealer is offering me a 2011 Avalon Limited Edition in Pearl White at a very good price, and now a friend is offering her 2007 Lexus LS 460 with 42,000 miles on it for about $3,000.00 less. The issue is, new VS used and some miles vs no miles.

I've not really used the warranty as such, on the Avalon. At least not enough to be concerned, but what if?

No local Lexus dealer, although if I'm buying used I'm guessing a local garage or Toyota dealer can do simple maintenance. The closest dealer is only 35 miles away.

I'll be going backwards in years, but getting a Lexus in return:)

I have found a 2008 LS 460 L for $2,500.00 MORE then the Avalon, but again, it's a Lexus and an L model? And my car gets about $2,000.00 less trade-in value on the L model.

So New Avalon Limited - $33,000.00, $17,000.00 trade-in

Used LS 460 - $36,000.00 - $15,000.00 trade-in
Used LS 460 L - $39,500.00 - $13,500.00 trade-in

So what's a guy to do?

Skip

Comments

• chuckykchuckyk Member Posts: 7
    For all the miles you put on a car, why wouldn't you consider a used Avalon, and let someone else take that depreciation hit? I personally never considered the Avalon, due to the exterior styling, but I think that may be the smartest way to go.

For what it's worth, I have a 2007 LS and I would take the Lexus at the same price point as the new Avalon, no questions asked. I bought certified used, so I have the additional warranty, but hope I never use it!

If you're spending that much time in the car, forget about the smartest choice, and buy the car you really want!

Chuck
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Thanks. That's kind of what I'm thinking. I've wanted an LS for some time now, but the prices have always been an issue.

Now the issue is miles per year vs warranty and value dow the road.

I tend to trade every 2 - 4 years so I'm wondering what a 6 7 year old Lexus will be worth with 80,000+ miles on it, will be worth, vs a Avalon with 65,000?

The styling on the Avalon isn't great, but I don't hate it either.

Tough call, as I agree with you on used, and let someone else take the hit, I haven't found many used 2011 Avalon out there.

Just something else to think about.

Skip

PS And I guess I need / want to consider the dealer I'm buying from, as some do a lot of business with me, and some don't, and I'd hate to lose the business because I bought a car somewhere else. Silly I know, but in some cases were talking $8,000.00 - $10,000 a year in sales.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Not even considering that a FWD Avalon can turn HAZARDOUS on a slippry roadbed in a New York Minute....I would still choose the LS.

Make those long driving miles as comfortable as possible.
    Hi folks. Not sure if anyone is interested, but these are some nice detailing kits?

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstringcaldinkal/5742742044/in/photostream

Skip
  • cob2cob2 Member Posts: 9
    Long time since last post here...

I'm currently dealing with the same question. Avalon or LS. Over the last couple mths I've looked at both a used 2011/12 Avalon Limited and a 2007/08 LS460 Nav, parking, ML... this is what if have for prices in North CA:

White 460 for $35K certified, w/36K miles, 3yr-100K cert warranty bum to bum.

or

White Limited, for $27K, Nav, 30K miles, certified, 1yr bumper to bumper and engine to 100K, 5yr.

Prices seem high to me but the best I can find. Appraisals, from Edmonds and KBB are lower priced. What do you think about the price/value? Which would you choose?
    BEFORE you decide, drive both as long as you can, then before you finally decided, drive them both AGAIN.

That being said, autotrader.com has 43 listed within a 300 miles of Sacramento, CA (Not sure where in Northern CA you are), or how far you are willing to drive.

Dealer car - try to find out how long the car has been on the lot, then offer $5,000.00 less then the asking price. YES, they will likely say you are crazy, but you can start from here by saying, "Ok, so what is your BEST price?"

90+ Avalons show up there as well. So plenty to choose from as long as you are willing to drive or do some research.

Used 2012 Avalon with 19,000 miles for $24.500.00

Several other 2012 Avalons for under $27,000.00

After having gone thru what I put myself thru the last few cars (4 New Toyota Avalons in past 2.5 years) - I would drive an LS, Drive and LS, and drive it some more - if I liked it, I would buy it in a heart beat.

DO the research!

Who owned it, why and what did they trade it in for. Call the previous owner if possible.

It WILL cost more to insure
    It WILL cost more to maintain (at a GOOD local garage NOT a Lexus dealer)
    It WILL cost more for gas

But should you keep it in good condition, you should be able to drive it for MANY years, pretty much trouble free.

Go to: http://www.clublexus.com and ask questions, about the year, make and model you are considering

Go to: http://us.lexusownersclub.com and ask those same questions, see if you get the same answers É then and only then, will you make the right choice of car and if it is the right one for you.

My current Avalon is my 4th one, and while they (except the 2013) have all been wonderful cars, I do keep asking myself, should I have bought an LS?

Skip

PS Even though it's the same company É

Avalon's are bullet proof, great cars, comfortable cars (except the 2013) and a great, sound choice should you go that way.
  • cob2cob2 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the input/advice. It looks like prices are so much less if you travel 1K miles or more for a Lexus, why is that? Is it because of all the rich retirees in Florida? Is it worth it to buy a certified Lexus out-of-state and drive/ship it back, it seems so... Afraid to buy a car unseen. What do you think about a Lexus cert vs an dealer out-of-state? N CA/Sacramento. Looking at several LS's 07/08 28-38K mi, for $32-35, that are Lexus cert. They cost more than a used Avalon for sure, but they sure are nice to drive. Wish I could rent one locally. Local Avalon Limited (only like the Limited/push button start) looks to be $24-27 with 20-40K miles. thks again...