Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    edited May 2012
    Hmm, I wonder who said this?

How many engines have you driven well over 100K miles in order to prove, AND DISPROVE, your theory?

So, to that wise guy....

How many VC-equipped Subarus have you driven well over 100K miles in order to prove, AND DISPROVE, your theory?

Show proof or cease and desist from posting in this thread.

hypocrisy
    n
    1. the practice of professing standards, beliefs, etc., contrary to one's real character or actual behaviour, esp the pretence of virtue and piety
  • crlstocrlsto Member Posts: 17
    I had to figure out how to use my 4s with this system too...apparently, when I have bluetooth connected to the system for phone use, it also connects to bluetooth audio, but it will not will not function through the usb connection (or "iPod" connection). For the 4s, I think you can only use the usb as a charger, and use the bluetooth connection for both audio and phone use, or use a different source (flash drive, another ipod) in conjunction with your phone...
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    edited May 2012
    No theory...

Read the factory manual on the DCCD and discover that it is automatically disabled, and why, upon ABS/TC/VSC activation, or even just a slight brake application. Then do a little reseach and discover why these functions are automatically disabled in an actual 4WD or 4X4 when the center diff''l/transfer case is locked.

Prior to TC being adopted for the F/awd version of the '01 RX300 the VC was fully functional, after, the fluid was reformulated so as to not compromise these brake application functions.

It only takes one wintertime period to determine if a given "AWD" system is as functional as is needed/required. On the other hand it takes well over 100K miles times 10 or 20 test mules to determine if a given engine break-in period method of operation is satisfactory...or not.

So stay with the FACTORY recommendation would be my advice.
  • skid0skid0 Member Posts: 16
    "On the other hand it takes well over 100K miles times 10 or 20 test mules to determine if a given engine break-in period method of operation is satisfactory...or not."

According to WHO? You still haven't provided your bona fides. OK, just tell us HOW your 10-20 mules were dissected, to show that the break-in was satisfactory... That way your "employer" won't have to fire you for divulging secret test methods! =:-O
  • wimchattawimchatta Member Posts: 28
    Congrats!!!

Am so glad I chose the Impreza over the Focus and Mazda 3.
    I had also test driven an BMW 328xi and the Acura TSX Wagon and the Outback, but they all felt bulky.

Have had the car for two days, and love everything about it. Thanks to this forum, knew I had to reset audio settings, which could have been the only disappointment otherwise.

Good luck, the wait is worth it!
  • tomgattomgat Member Posts: 1
    Hi all
    what is the best sportswear for running? I would like to know what you wear while running. Can I wear black Addidas pants & yellow shirt with white Nike shoes? And also suggest best sports shop for it.

Thanks in advance!
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Only before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.
  • jlk75jlk75 Member Posts: 1
    Have you successfully has this installed?

I am being told that a hitch is not available for the 2012 hatchback
  • jd_24jd_24 Member Posts: 92
    I believe Curt Mfg has one now. I don't know if anyone has tried it yet.
    Curt Mfg
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I simply used a 16GB thumb drive. Copy and pasted music directly from my itunes folder to the thmub drive.....had to go back in and rename the folders ( minor inconvenience), connected to the USB port in the center console and the head unit recognizes without a problem.....not sure what the problem might be......I did notice that one or two folders werent recognized....and these were mp3's from a different source other than Itunes or ones I made myself........
    edited May 2012
    upon ABS/TC/VSC activation

Again, there's an off switch...

In my experience the VC worked better than our new auto-AWD, with no VC on both.

Read the factory manual

You just told someone else to drive 100k miles before he should talk, now that doesn't matter any more?
  • bobdole888bobdole888 Member Posts: 38
    I read in the manual that there some file directory limitations. I don't know if you have hit the limitation to have caused problems.
    I don't remember the limits, but it's something like 256 files in the root directory. So you don't want to put all of your songs in the root directory.
    They need to be divided into different directories so that you don't run into the limit.
    In addition, there is limit on the number of files within each directory, and limit on the number of level of directories. There might be limits on the number of characters used per file.

For your case, I would just delete what's on the usb drive and put a few songs on it, just to verify that there no issues with the radio reading your usb drive. If that works, then it's probably not liking your file directory organization.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    " now that doesn't matter any more?..."

Asked and answered.
    The owner's manual in my Toyota lists the wrong fuel tank capacity.

You can't rely on those 100%
  • pdxgarconpdxgarcon Member Posts: 2
    Could you share with us why you chose the Impreza over the Focus? TIA
    I'll throw my $.02 in on this.
    #1 Difference is MPG is really nothing. 2 or 3mpg is not much even over a year unless you drive huge amounts of miles. Tie.

#2 Size. I have three kids. If my 5'7" kid is behind me and I move the driver seat forward a little to make a little extra room, my knees are in the dash/wheel with the Focus. I'm 6'4". On paper they are close, they didn't seem close when I sat in them. Impreza is bigger. For the Impreza I didn't have to move the seat forward, but if I do there is still plenty of comfort room for me the driver.

#3 Roof rack for bikes. Impreza wins with Sport model. Even the non-sport hatch has easy connections for roof rack. My existing Yakima cross bars work with no extra purchase.

#4 Easy simple dash and controls. Focus had too many buttons and then a touch screen for more controls. Looked cool at first. Little driver screen had multiple pages and menus. Heat controls were not an easy turn of a knob. Impreza wins with simple easy controls.

#5 My last Subaru has 200K miles and is still running. My last Ford didn't make 60K without numerious troubles. I'm sure Fords have gotten better, but well. Subaru Wins.

#6 Cost. Basically the same. Focus was more but then had a $1000 rebate that made the ford maybe less? (MSRP). Subaru re-sale will win. Tie?

#7 The three kids prefered the backseat comfort (base or premium Impreza) because of size, cushions, and no fold down arm rest thing. Its uncomfortable for the kid in the middle.

#8 That one other feature really was low on my list. AWD.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I just had a Focus as a rental car.
    Didn't care for the cocoon the driver sits in, but a very nice, competent, modern car.

Rear seat did seem small; I didn't sit in it, but it looked rather tight. I'm 6'1" and like to sit closer to the wheel than most. Still, there was little room in the footwell behind me to put a carryon bag.

Heck, I didn't even mind the automatic transmission -- that is, I didn't notice it was an automated manual. It hasn't gotten great reviews. I only drove about 50 miles, though, and most of that on the open road.

The onboard computer, which hadn't been reset in a good long time, showed 35.2 mpg. That was impressive... after I reset it and drove in the city, it stuck in the mid-20s for a long time, so I dont' think it was wildly optimistic. It's a seriously competent car. If the Subaru feels distinctly better, that's quite an achievement.
  • 90legacy2wd90legacy2wd Member Posts: 4
    We ordered 5dr, cvt w/ Nav on March 13th from a dealer in Kansas City. Was told 4-6 weeks. Received a confirmation within a week from Subaru with a VON #.
    It has now been 6+ weeks and no VIN and the dealer just says expects
    arrival in May. From what hearing if it comes in 8-10 weeks, which would be end of may for 10 weeks, that this is the norm now?
    We are ok with that but in these higher tech times not sure why there isn't a tracking of where your car is. We order a RAV4 in 2009 and the dealer told us it was when it was leaving the plant in Japan, on a ship, in port in Washington, on a truck with arrival in 10 days( it came in 2 days later)
  • raggedyann6raggedyann6 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a silver with black interior base model LCV it was on the lot. They had one other 5 door sport in green with silver trim that was it for the 5 door. They had about 4 other 4 door Imprezas with various options that I did not want and not great colors. I called all the Subaru dealers in a 250 mile radius from Denver,CO and they too had not much to choose from in the 5 door models. I was told that the Subaru's sold in Japan got 20% more profit for the dealers, and they were not sending many to the US for that reason?
    The msrp for the one I got was $18,995 + $750 destination and delivery. Then they tacked on $499.00 dealership delivery and handling and $99 credit bureau fee even though I paid cash. There were a few options on the car auxiliary jack, bumper applique 5 door, carrier base, and 5d splash guards. My final price minus TTL was $19,704 which to me was too much but literally it was the only automatic 5door base model in a decent color around. They said they had a delivery coming in about 2 weeks but no 5 door. The dealer said that the last 2012 Imprezas would be delivered in Aug and that was it. I could not wait that long so I had to pay what I did for the car. Probably if I had bought it months ago there would have been a few more to choose from who knows for sure. So far I do love the car and am happy.
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    #3 Roof rack for bikes. Impreza wins with Sport model. Even the non-sport hatch has easy connections for roof rack. My existing Yakima cross bars work with no extra purchase.

Which model of towers do you have? Double Cross, Low Rider, or Rail Grab?

I have Double Cross towers that I used on my '96 Outback rails. I'm hoping they fit the Impreza Sport rails.
  • clarkbar6clarkbar6 Member Posts: 7
    I have a lot of the same reasons already mentioned here

+ I think the Focus cabin, while nice and modern, is overdone. There is no obvious spot to drop your phone (that I found) Its 2012 I dont feel like i need to leave my phone rattling in a cup holder. I really do not like the shiny plastic trim on the doors and near the shifter on the Focus. The SYNC is VERY nice. But i have heard of problems with it, and I have no need to fight a computer in my car (it IS designed by Microsoft...). But the button layout is a nightmare, and all molded right in to the dash, which i hate

+Inside and out, the Focus is very modern and flashy, but something tells me it wont age well, especially the interior. Like you see someone with a Hummer or an Aztec, thats design that does not hold up over time.

+ Subaru had more room, cargo and passenger

+ a little thing - the premium impreza has the windshield wiper defroster which sounds like an amazing idea.

+ I realllly like Deep Cherry Pearl on the Impreza, and none of the Focus colors killed me

+ Reliability. Mainly heard things about Foci with transmisson problems. Subaru is famously reliable. This is a 8+ year car for me, so that weighed heavily.
  • iliketoshiftiliketoshift Member Posts: 24
    + a little thing - the premium impreza has the windshield wiper defroster which sounds like an amazing idea.

the technical term is: heated wiper landings
  • brianna_mplsbrianna_mpls Member Posts: 4
    I test drove the Focus and while I liked the exterior of the car, the interior just felt cheap and cluttered. Wasn't a fan of the materials used for the dash and the leather looked very low end. Felt like I was driving an old version of the Focus but with more bells and whistles (and a much heavier price tag in 2012). I've heard/read rumblings about transmission issues so that gave me some pause as well.

For the Impreza - love the AWD + great gas mileage... I never thought of them going together. The leather is a nicer quality and everyone I've known who has had a Subaru has had them forever. Also loved how spacious it felt inside.

Have not loved the long wait and lack of communication/information from my dealership and Subaru... seems crazy that it's 2012 and they have no idea where in the world my little Subi is and when it will arrive.
  • cgalnycgalny Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2012
    I have an Impreza Premium with navigation, etc. and am wondering how owners feel about the navigation system. The only reason I bought the car with navigation is because the Impreza I ordered was taking too long to arrive...so I caved in and bought another Impreza on the dealer's lot with more options.

I love this car. I've been driving and buying cars for 35+ years and I can't recall any other car I've owned matching the Impreza for value, utility, and even a bit of the "fun" factor thrown in for good measure. I've had lots of more expensive cars with more options and status, but the Impreza is just somehow a more satisfying new car, probably because of what you get for the price.

Having heaped all this praise on the Impreza, I must say I HATE the navigation system. The screen is too small...too hard to read when the sun hits it...takes far too many touches to get it to do what you want...too often does not calculate good routes. A good navigation system should be easy to use by the second or third time you use it. The Subaru's factory installed navigation system...and I hate to say this...is the worst I've ever used.

So those of you who decided against this option did the right thing, in my opinion. Then again, it could just be a personal thing. Perhaps other owners are happy with it.
  • pdxgarconpdxgarcon Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all for chiming in on this subject... Your comments are very informative.
    I think (can't remember) its the low riders. I bought them back in 2003 or 2004? They work on our 2001 Outback and Tahoe. Honestly I haven't tried it yet on the new Impreza but the rail appears to have the same shape and dimensions. It won;t be too long before I start using the rack. My 29er mountain bike just fits in the back with seats down, but I don't like the dirt and mud it brings in with it.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited May 2012
    Have you had any experience with other navigation units? Portable (Garmin, TomTom, etc.), or other factory in-dash units?

I agree the screen is small, but it's still bigger than my 5" Garmin unit.

Reading it in the sun has long been a problem for many in-dash units, so Subaru is not alone here.

My Garmin 1490T often gives me questionable routes as well, so again, this is not unique to Subaru.

My understanding is you cannot make changes to the navigation while the car is in motion, which can be frustrating; but it's a safety issue, which is why it's engineered that way.

How's the Bluetooth? My limited experience with the new Impreza navigation is that the Subaru Bluetooth is light-years better than the Bluetooth in my Garmin. Also, this is the first Subaru Bluetooth that will upload your contact list from an iPhone.

Bob
    Are there instructions on how to transfer your contacts from an iphone (4s)? I've searched, but to no avail (maybe I need to search harder)...
  • kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    Loving the car, especially the corners and all, but it needs a little better throttle response. Been a Honda lover all this time and I truly miss the throttle response. Then again, I had an aftermarket intake and exhaust on it, but I think I would not get the same response in the Subie. Hondas seem to get a 2nd breath after 4000 rpm, really pulls you back into your seat. Subie kinda slowly speeds up, but still past 4000 rpm, not much there. Don't get me wrong, I love the car, but wish to get a little more excitement. :shades:
    Yes, I've had experience with many factory installed navigation systems and several Garmin units.

Even though the Garmin units have a smaller screen, the Garmin 4.3" screen units that I have had experience with were much easier to read than the Impreza's larger screen. The Garmins' font style, size, brightness and contrast makes text easier to read. And I've never had a Garmin calculate a bad route. Whereas this has happened several times with the Impreza's system.

I can't comment on the Bluetooth functionality because I haven't tried using it with any of my gadgets, and don't plan on trying.
    I don't know. I would assume this subject is covered in the navigation system's operating manual, which I have not looked at. I feel one should be able to use a navigation system without referring to the manual. If I have to read the manual to figure out how to do something...well, let's just say I won't bother. I never had to refer to any documentation to use the Garmin units.
  • dfong87dfong87 Member Posts: 171
    i know what you're talking about i think, but it think it's a matter of the difference power and torque curves. i haven't tried to go over 4k yet (i'm still just under 1000 miles) but from what i understand, peak hp and torque are in the 4k band. for my VTEC tiny 1.6litre civic, it didn't have the torque the Subie has at low rpms, but once spun up to 4-5k, it really took off. so i think it's not that one is better or worse...but more what you are used to...
    Bluetooth was a huge sticking point for me, especially since I was comparing to a Focus (SYNC is very cool). The Subaru website has a compatibility list (here Subaru Bluetooth that does not paint a rosy picture: Basically it says the system does not support phonebook downloads from an iPhone 4 (or any of the 15 other smartphones I checked, so its not an apple thing). The iPhone 4s DOES support phonebook downloads, i dont see why they would be different if both running up to date software. Heres my experience with an iPhone 4 (from memory, once, havent taken delivery yet):

Phone functions
    + you can pair the phone via bluetooth, which allows you to accept incoming calls via steering wheel controls (henceforth SWC)

+ I was not able to download my phone book. this basically means that via the "call" SWC you can only dial by number (call 9-7-8-4-5-...)

+ BUT you CAN use built in iPhone voice functions. you cant initiate them via SWC, but if you hold the button on the iphone to activate Siri, the voice will come through the car speakers and will listen via the car mic. This is the same as the SYNC, Siri stuff must me initiated via the phone.

+ So by just stabbing at the iphone home button, youll be able to do anything Siri can normally do - dial by name, read a text, dictate a text, whatever. This is a fine compromise to me.

+this also works for pre 4s voice functions, which is basically limited to dialing by name and playing music (like "play artist Bruce Springsteen")

Music functions
    + a paired iPhone will also stream music through the stereo. this works in the stock music app, and 3rd party apps like pandora and instacast (podcasts). It also displays track and artist info on the dash (if i remember right)

+ you can control iphone music streamed over bluetooth via SWC and the head unit. Wheel has no play pause button, but if you hit the power button on the head unit, itll pause. if you hit it again, itll resume right away. you can go forward and backwards via the up down toggle on the left side of the wheel. this even works in Pandora (something that the sales guy wasnt aware of)

+ via bluetooth, the only way to pick music is on the phone, and then it just routes it through the speakers

+ if you plug in via USB, the head unit will have all of your track info and artists and things and youll be able to scroll through them on the big screen.

+ if you are plugged in via USB, and not bluetooth, you wont be able to play 3rd party apps like pandora.

+ If you are connected via bluetooth, and you want to plug in f your phone to charge, and you want to use pandora, do one of the following 3 things:

1. at the playback screen in the app of choice, someone where near the time scrub bar, there should be a rectangle that has an up pointing arrow (it is also probably blue) that is the output picker menu, and its usually hidden if you arent connected to anything. tap that and choose bluetooth and not USB Audio.

2. from the homescreen, double tap the home button to bring up the multitask bar. swipe from to right to get to the playback controls. look for the same arrow in rectangle icon and select the desired output. (you might have to swipe left to right again to find the icon, im going from memory)

3. from the lock screen, double tap home to show playback controls. the blue triangle/rect should be right there. pick the output

this will allow you to use bluetooth audio to play pandora while you are charging.

I think the phone automatically picks the most recently connected output. so if you start the car and bluetooth connects, then plug it in, youll have to switch the output back to BT. if you get in the car, plug in the cord THEN start the car, then MAYBE BT will connect second and no switch will be required.

Ill be messing with this stuff extensively once i get my car. Crap that was long
    4 words for real fun: double you are ex!
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited May 2012
    On the '12 Impreza with navigation that I test drove, I was able to load my iPhone 4 (not 4S, but 4) contact list on to the car's Bluetooth.

Bob
  • kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    Words to live by :shades:
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    for a 2.0 liter, the performance is outstanding. It will hold 80 mph no problem, and keep up with normal traffic.

Subaru hit a home run in my opinion, jacking the mpg into the 30's and keeping very normal modern performance. That is coming from my perspective of growing up with the 70-80's anemia where 1.6 to 1.9 liter carburated 4 cylinders were the norm. This FB engine is amazing in comparison.

John
    edited May 2012
    Agree with John on the performance. Its solid and very good. Monday morning I had 3 teenagers and myself on the way to school. The Impreza had no problem on a long up hill on-ramp going from 20 mph to 70mph without much straining. I believe the max rpm I hit was 4k. That and my mpg is still improvong as outside temperatures get warmer.

--J
    > On the '12 Impreza with navigation that I test drove,
    > I was able to load my iPhone 4 (not 4S, but 4)
    > contact list on to the car's Bluetooth

Yep, youre right, and thats reflected in the compatibility checker link that I posted. I wasn't clear in which model i was talking about. i tried the impreza limited with the color screen stereo but no nav. Havent tried the nav one. That said, i think the rest of my points will still apply, esp regarding how to use siri and how to play music through the speakers.
  • birdadlybirdadly Member Posts: 10
    I don't have the Nav, but I bought a new 16GB thumbdrive for the car and it won't read it. Actually, I only put 1 song in the ROOT folder (and a folder of 3 PDF's) and on a 30 mile trip, it wasn't reading it... so I kept trying... and ONE time, it found the USB drive and played my song... later in the trip, after turning it to FM for awhile, it wouldn't read the dang thing. Nothing changed, just about 15 minutes later in the drive.

I tried a friend's 4GB thumbdrive and it worked right off the bat, different brand. So, I think I'll just take back the drive I bought and get a different brand and size and see if it works.
    Thanks for the link to the compatibility index. Honestly, Siri works fine for voice dialing my contacts through BT (it's also faster than having to press the "talk" button on the steering wheel 3 times to manually voice dial a number), although the caller ID and redial/call-back functions work efficiently. I'm going to manually enter my favorite numbers and see how that works. Overall, BT has been very useful and not complicated at all. Callers on the other line can hear me clear "enough" (moderate road noise affects clarity)...
  • onemodogonemodog Member Posts: 26
    How do you know if you have broken in your engine correctly?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Hard to tell in a short time period.

But... here is how NOT to break in the engine on your new Impreza:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faGiMltGJ2g

:D
    UPDATE:

Siri does not work well with BT while highway driving (for me, at least); too much road noise...tried 5+ times to voice dial one of my favorites (Angie) and Siri could not figure it out. Looks like i have to add my contacts to voice dial them quicker.

On a better note, i was able to get the body side moldings and splash guards from my dealer for 20% off and put them on myself. i thought the splash guards would be easy and the moldings difficult. Total opposite, installing the guards was easy but removing the plastic tabs that cover the pre-drilled holes under the fender lining was hard to do with the wheels in place (i dont have the means/space to jack the car up and remove the wheels). Needless to say, i was able to put them on and really like the way they both look; breaks up the "flatness" of the doors...
    I opted to ask the dealer to install the side moldings as well because I figured it would be hard to align or youd need some special adhesive. oh well, got a good price on the whole thing anyway

How much did you pay for the guards, if you dont mind me asking? i have seen them online for maybe $80 plus ~12 for shipping. I was thinking about putting them on myself as well.

I cant jack the car up either. Were removing the tabs difficult because you didnt have the right tools, or just because the tires were in the way?

Were you able to find a video tutorial? I have seen what appear to be subaru written directions, but visual would be more helpful.

Any other tips for putting them on, and how long would you say it takes? Thanks
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    No, I have not even gotten "Silverbolt" yet (still working on my wife). I was going through and working at what I will be adding to the vehicle after I do get him. He is on a short life of replacement's for my current ride "The Beast".

Odie
    I was able to get the guards for 80.00 + tax (tax at the dealer was 1.25% less than where I live which was a small bonus)...applying the side moldings themselves was the easy part. The tedious part was prepping the template to attach to the car (having to cut holes in the card stock for masking tape). Once the template is up, the rest takes 10 mins. Both sides took about and hour.

As for the guards, the front guards are really easy. First off, turn the steering wheel towards the side you're installing to get the wheel out of the way. The existing tabs sort of "unscrew" off. Hold the outer edge of the tab and turn the "screw" with a philips and it should pop out. Try not to pry them out as it warps the fender liner and the guard won't be flush against the body (happened with the first one I installed, but luckily the dark grey paint hides the very paper-thin gap). The rest of the instructions are easy (included in the box).

The rear guards were difficult because I could not turn the wheel and I did not have a flat pry bar for one of the tabs (prying this tab off did not affect how flush it sat against the body). A small, flat pry bar would make installing the guards way easier than what I did (I won't divulge how I took them damn tabs off, lol). I'd say about an hour to install the guards, assuming you have the right tools.

Overall, I really like the way the side moldings and splash guards look. I'll try and post a pic of before and after (if I can figure out how to post a pic :) )
  • donnieyodonnieyo Member Posts: 2
    Picking it up tomorrow! Exactly 12 weeks after order date. Whew!
  • wimchattawimchatta Member Posts: 28
    congratulations!