Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• mmyk72mmyk72 Member Posts: 67
    lucky you.... that's a great price. Enjoy your new car.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    Im working my third tank of gas now...calculated mileage..first tank was approx 29.5 with mostly hwy miles...second tank was about 27.3 with mostly city....not sure on the third tank yet.....Ive been filling up with approx 1/4 tank left.....will roll over 800 miles going home today....

If its like our 11 Outback....I dont expect to see the really good gas mileage until it reaches 7-10K on the car......
    it appears at the moment there is no stock hitch available for the 12 Impreza.....the manual specifically states do not tow with it...however nothing is mentioned about adding a hitch for a other purposes such as bike rack....
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Wow, 29.5 is WELL short of 36...have to keep an eye on this.
    there was another poster over on the North American Impreza Owners site that claimed to be getting 32-34 right off the bat......I dont ever expect to get exactly 36....as it is only an estimate......I'd be happy with 32 MPG overall to be honest.....if you are expecting to sustain 36 MPG...that certainly will not happen.

In all my cars..I have never achieved the rated HWY MPG except on extended Hwy only driving of 200 plus miles or greater.......remember the rating is 27 City and 36 Hwy for the auto CVT......so Im about in the middle of that rating at the moment...and expect it to climb as the vehicle breaks in more......I didnt achieve advertised mileage in my 11 Outback until it had over 10K on it.
    was that your purchase price or the total drive off the lot price including TTL?. Did you have any other options to the car?..Just curious....
    There are cars out there that regularly exceed the EPA rating depending on conditions. If Subie is one of those ones that has trouble even meeting it, that's not a good thing.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I know this isn't something you're going to be terribly receptive to, but here goes anyway...

I've been following the anecdotal fuel economy reports for quite a number of cars which are offered with some manner of an automatic (Conventional, DSG, PDK, CVT, it matters not), and a true three-pedal manual transmission. Based upon my observations, it seems much more likely that cars equipped with automatics will have a significantly harder time achieving the published EPA numbers than an otherwise identical car with a manual transmission (which more often than not is easily able to exceed the EPA numbers).

Now that fuel economy reports for the new Impreza are starting to trickle in, we may well have one more car which fits the above model.

Donning my Nomex and ducking for cover. :P
    Ok here we go Mr. Manualiac: all of the other transmission types you cited offer a reproducible pattern, so when driven the same way, different people will get the same numbers. A manual adds additional variables because the shift pattern is much more unpredictable. SO whether or not a manual CAN get better numbers is completely unrelated to whether a manual WILL get better numbers. Additionally, many "manual" buyers tend to be pretty aggressive drivers who will shift pretty aggressively, which brings in lower EPA numbers. On top of the fact that some manuals are also geared more aggressively for those aggressive drivers.

Now, despite all that, fuel economy between CVTs, DSGs, and slushbox automatics should be reasonably consistent between drivers operating under similar conditions. Which means anecdotal reports, barring some of the extreme ones, should be valid data. Reported fuel economy from 3-pedal manual transmissions, on the other hand, have too many variables to be considered.

You may now go back to your GTI. :shades:
    I know it is so very easy to dismiss anecdotal reports as a group, but at some point there must be a threshold where a preponderance of well qualified anecdotal reports starts to transition into the realm of empirical data.

My above post was just speculating that the new Impreza may well become yet another example of a car where the EPA numbers of the Manual version are lower than its Automatic (CVT in this case) sibling, and yet the reverse is true in the "real world". Only time will tell.

FWIW, the 2.5 liter Mazda3 is a very good examples of the above phenomena; per the EPA numbers the Automatic is rated at 22/25/29 and the Manual is rated at 20/23/28, and yet on the EPA web site, the reports show quite the opposite with the "User's Average MPG" for the Automatic at 25.6 and the Manual at 29.4. I can't wait to see what starts showing up when enough reports of real world mileage have been accumulated for the new Impreza.

Okay-kay, back to the GTI. :shades:
  • nbonbo Member Posts: 11
    That's my off the lot price. I don't have any option added on the sports premium cvt.
    then that was a slick deal indeed!...glad to have an insider to work with...even trucar for the MD area Im in is showing 21,773 as the best available price and that before the TTL....so great deal!
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    thanks pao... I'll have to look around to see if there is an aftermarket available. Kinda odd there is a cut-out for one, but not available from manufacturer.

Odie
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited December 2011
    Just drove one at Russell Subaru in Catonsville, MD.

• Clutch is unbelievably light. Very Honda-like, and MUCH! lighter than the clutch on my '09 WRX.

• Much quieter and more refined than my WRX.

• Outside temp, clock, etc. very large and very legible; much more so than on my car.

• No gear indicator, like that found on the Legacy GT. Bummer. :(

• Cruise control indicator lights hard to see and read. My WRX is better in this respect.

• Definitely have to row the gearbox on windy and/or hilly roads.

• Instrument needles light up during the day. Couldn't tell if the gauges light up, however?

• Drove very well and handles very well. Comfortable ride too.

• I think the engine will really be taxed with a full load onboard. With 1 or 2 people the power is reasonable; with 4 or 5, I doubt it.

• Excellent car for the non-gearhead.

Bob
    Then again, I bet I could get something like this also...

Here's a link to the site itself.... SylvanSport Go Trailer

Odie
  • debbadoo2debbadoo2 Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone know the maximum load capacity in lbs? The owner's manual that I found on-line indicates that the maximum weight is noted on the inside of the door, thus the manual does not say. Pao, since you seem to be one of the few current owners, maybe you can answer this?
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    edited December 2011
    Sounds nice.

BTW, do you recall the rpm at freeway speed? Is it quiet?

>> No gear indicator, like that found on the Legacy GT.

That's a feature that hadn't even occurred to me.

I guess on a 6sp it makes some sort of sense, but with a Five?

Once could touch the lever and know... I think this is the sort of problem only apparent to those who drive lots of different cars.

Auto journalists are always complaining about "weird locations" of window switches and such in some euro cars... if you drive it every day, it's not an issue.

Cheers -Mathias
  • angitheriasangitherias Member Posts: 34
    I'm in Canada, i'm on my local (100 miles away mind you) Subaru dealers website, and near the end of the financing calculator, there is a line that says Charge for Credit after APR and period of loan. Does anyone know what this means?

here is an example:

MSRP $26,095.00
    PDI & Freight $1,595.00
    Air Tax $100.00
    Accessories $1,926.60
    Purchase Price $29,716.60
    PST $1,485.83
    GST/FST Taxes $1,485.83
    Total $32,688.26
    Down payment- $10,000.00
    Balance to Finance $22,688.26

Period of Loan 60 months
    Charge for Credit $3,566.15
    Total Payable $26,254.41

Monthly Cost $437.57
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Looks like the finance charge (interest paid) to me. It's what it costs to borrow the money and pay the balance over the specified time period.
  • kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    About 2800 rpm cruising at around 65-70 mph. I have a 5 speed so no complaints. Still fun to drive even though it's not a racer speed wise, but handling is fun. Oh, has anyone have an opinion on the new tires? Yoko avid s34d. Tire rack has a bunch of poor reviews, but they are all from Mazda 3 owners.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,772
    Agreed..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

So far after I Order the impreza from the dealer. I only got a order number but no vin number and no eta. Is there a more efficient way to track ur factory order car?
    WOW that seems high for the RPM ....my auto CVT cruises at 75 MPH at about 2300 RPM......at 70, its approx 2100 RPM........5DR limited here
    It's comletely normal for a manual transmission equipped model to run a few hundred RPMs higher on the highway than an otherwise identical car equipped with an automatic transmission.
    edited December 2011
    A gear indicator readout is a useful reminder as to what gear you're in. With the rather close gear ratios and the engine noise being so subdued these days, I sometimes find myself driving in 4th (thinking I'm in 5th) for miles in my WRX. Yes, in a 6-speed, it's an even bigger problem—especially in a powerful car, in which you could "cruise" in any number of gears.

Now with this new Impreza which has far less power than my WRX, you will be rowing the gearbox far more often, so it may not be a problem as your right hand will be on the gearshift lever much of the time.

Bob
    GVWR listed on my 5Dr limited was 4299
    A gear indicator readout is a useful reminder as to what gear you're in. With the rather close gear ratios and the engine noise being so subdued these days, I sometimes find myself driving in 4th (thinking I'm in 5th) for miles in my WRX.

I have an in-dash gear indicator on my '02 OBW A/T, but I still end up driving on the highway in 3rd*. :sick:

* previously downshifted for long hill
    That's good to know. Can anyone confirm if the 5 speed manual is quicker from 0-60 than the CVT. I could have sworn in one of the video reviews that that the 0-60 time on a manual was a second + faster than the CVT, like 8.9 seconds.
    edited December 2011
    I have an in-dash gear indicator on my '02 OBW A/T

Yeah, this a common feature in automatics with manual-shift capabilities. I'd just like to see it offered more in manual transmissions as well. It's found on the Legacy GT (not sure about other Legacy/Outback manuals?), Nissan 370Z and a number of high-end sports cars.

I'd also like to see the "rev-match" feature, that found on the Nissan 370Z manuals, offered. What that does is blip the throttle on downshifts, so there's no need to heel-and-toe the car.

The upcoming Subaru BRZ has this feature on the automatic (when in manual mode), but haven't heard as to whether the manual has it.

Bob
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Unless the stick and auto are evenly matched, e.g. both have 5 speeds or 6 speeds. A 5MT is NOT an even match for a CVT. I noticed for example that the RPMs on the 6MT Mazda3 Skyactiv are quite low, around 2000 @ 65 mph. I didn't drive the 6AT but I would expect similar RPMs on that based on what I've seen from other 6ATs on ~2 L engines.

Shows why 6MTs are increasingly popular, for lower revs and higher highway FE. Maybe someday Subaru will put one into the Impreza.
    Shows why 6MTs are increasingly popular, for lower revs and higher highway FE. Maybe someday Subaru will put one into the Impreza.

It's already in the 2012 Impreza. You just have to move to Europe, Australia, New Zealand or just about any place outside of North America. :)

Bob
    Well, the total vehicle weight (according to the specs) is 3,086 lbs so that would indicate it can carry a total load of about 1,200 lbs., including passengers. Not bad! Thank you for providing that data.
    edited December 2011
    It's best to refer to the sticker on the driver's door jam, as it's specific to the car in question. Remember, options and content will also affect payload. My recollection is that the payload is closer to 900 pounds.

Bob
    1200 lbs? In some states, that's four average people ;->
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,772
    Michigan? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    In Texas, maybe fewer than 4. ;)
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    edited December 2011
    I originally thought that it was a cut-out for a hitch too, but I was told by the dealer the rectangle in the middle of the lower part of the rear bumper is for the European fog light. That's what the punch-out is for. It's to meet the ECE Regulation 48 in European countries that adopt it.
    edited December 2011
    I was told the same thing.
  • milokmilok Member Posts: 1
    Funny! I was told 3 different things from the same dealership about the little square on the back of the impreza. First salesman told me that you could not put a hitch on the impreza and maintain the warranty. The 2nd salesman told me he didn't know. The third salesman told me of course you could put on a hitch and they would do it . All at the same dealer. I feel like I know more about the car than they do. I think I should get a job there after all the research I've done. The salesmen certainly didn't get a very thorough inservice on the car!
    Most car salespeople don't know from cars.
    That's not their job.
    They know from selling.
  • fredjohnsonfredjohnson Member Posts: 48
    Just priced a Sport Premium with CVT for $20,973. Cheapest I could find in my State. Will probably buy it. Anyone think this is a bad price?
  • malachai1malachai1 Member Posts: 40
    I'm getting the same price here in new jersey. But you can get a forester for 23000.00 with a sunroof ect. So I dont know which way to go.
    So, has anyone given the cargo space a good test? Of the four cars I've been comparing, this has the most cargo space with seats down (52 c.f.) Does it seem as roomy as that number indicates? Most of the other compact hatch vehicles have about 42 c.f. with seats flat. I'm dropping down in size from a Honda Element so cargo capacity is important to me.
    Also, is the cubbie underneath the floor a useable feature? I haven't seen the car yet. I went to a car show in November but they only had the Sedan on display.
    I test drove the 5 door and also coming from a 2010 honda crv and when i put all the baby gear in the impreza is was very close to the crv. The only thing is the height was missing. I'm trading in the honda for the impreza or the forester. When driving the cvt it was very loud and the engine was screaming a bit. Going to wait till a sport with leather comes in to see how it fells.
    Hey all, after picking up my 2012 impreza, I got a call from the dealer to bring the car in ASAP due to the master cylinder/brake. The dealer said the car shouldn't have been driven off the lot yet. Anyways, brought the car back and a 2012 legacy was given to me as a rental until its fixed. Cars fixed now, but the legacy is a pretty nice ride. Quiet and comfortable, stable, and I would look forward to upgrading someday. :)
    Let me know what you think of the Sport Ltd. That is what I am considering as well. Not considering the Forester because I want the better gas mileage. I have had sucky gas mileage for long enough now. :-(
  • kagantuncykagantuncy Member Posts: 5
    Just priced a sports premium auto $23000 OTD. He went down $250 under invoice,but I think this was also included destination charge. I live in NOVA, is there anyone out there got better pricing?
    I lived in NOVA also. My OTD price for a sport premium cvt was 21400. However, friend of mine kinda know the owner of the dealership. I think they kinda hook me up. Still waiting for the car to arrived. So far, we only have the factory order number and no vin yet. Happy New year and good luck on car hunting.
    milok... I would have laughed right at the sales person if he threw the "It will void the warranty" line at me.

Odie
    Same here 19 city.in my crv and 22 for short highway runs. I have put alot down on my crv so i,m going to trade in and pay off the rest sick of a car payment. Had one since 98. Just hope this cvt holds up for 10 years plus. Are u worried about the cvt at all?