Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    Pao, how did the first oil change go? Was there any problems with the service guys possibly stating the new 2012 Imprezas don't need an oil change until 7500 miles? Anything they find while changing the oil or while inspecting the car?
  • techdudetechdude Member Posts: 87
    tyguy....how much of the vehicle did you get covered with the Ventureshield and how long did it take to have done?
  • thom52thom52 Member Posts: 30
    Its nice to see Subaru rewarded for coming out with a sensible, well designed, well made car, that addresses a large need in the marketplace.
    In spite of the Impreza being panned in about half the reviews for not having neck snapping power. I don't know about other places, but here in the Northwest, MOST of the Subaru drivers are VERY tame drivers, and thats putting it politely. MOST of the drivers would want safety and good handling with excellent fuel economy over neck snapping acceleration, that seems to be the requirement of the vocal minority of Subura owners. (per my informal local road survey :)

I have test driven Subarus when new car shopping, since moving to the Northwest many years ago. After all, about every other car at hiking/biking trailheads is a subaru around here. But I was just never impressed by them.
    The 2012 Impreza is the first Subaru my wife and I will own. It caught our attention as the perfect balance to fit OUR needs.
    The engineering/manufacturing company where I work is very unusual, having only one Subaru in the entire parking lot. Heck there are more Prius.
    I have 3 coworkers, just in my general engineering area, that are now seriously considering the Impreza, pretty much waiting to see how the deal goes down and how I like the car, when it comes in.

Short of some unlikely fatal flaw surfacing on the new Impreza, I think they knocked this one out of the park, and with excellent timing for the marketplace.

I ordered mine after a mild Fall/early winter, as the first snow storm hit. I figured it was likely to start moving a LOT faster after that and would be harder to bargain for a good deal. That seems to be happening, especially for the hatchback, which I think is likely to be the most popular style in the Northwest. :shades:
  • We had Ventureshield installed on the following areas:
    1. Side mirrors (full coverage on painted surfaces)
    2. Under the splash guards for both front and rear wheels
    3. Front bumper (full coverage)
    4. Hood (20" covered from leading edge of hood, and rolled under the edges)
    5. Fenders (length matches the hood)

Time to install was about 5 hours. We picked up the Impreza from the dealership and literally drove straight to the shop where it sat overnight. They started in the morning and had it covered by 12:30. They recommend leaving 2 days following the install for a full cure before washing the car.
    in addition to break-in and first oil change hits on "optimum" mileage,
    Don't forget this car rolled out AFTER the seasonal switch to less efficient winter blend gas, and just in time for winter driving and cold, long warmups.

Plus, I am guessing a lot of people are still having the initial novelty "fun" period of driving, which may be a bit heavy on the pedal.

I would say not too many Imprezas are rolling with best case gas mileage yet. And thats what you are comparing generally with other cars. Most prius owners will quote you their nice warm dry Spring days of gas mileage, not the hilly dead of winter mileage. ;) ..of course there is the news of lawsuits against Honda for the Hybrid Civic only getting 30mpg with REAL driving conditions, PLUS battery life is poor. (recent news article)
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    mine is the CVT 5DR HB
    I got mine changed at 3300....my dealership likes to change it halfway to the first 7500 mile interval....they did the same on our 11 Outback...again this one was a free one on the dealer...I didnt pay for it....nothing was noted by the service tech during the change.....the OEM interval is 7500 miles...which the service writer reminded me of when I picked the car up for its next change.....
  • onemodogonemodog Member Posts: 26
    I am rolling up on 1000 miles and on my 2nd complete fill up (I had two partial fill ups in between) I am averaging about 28.5 mpg. This is up about 1 mpg from my first tank when I bought the car.
    I would say I have driven pretty mildly as well....and thats been tough.
    It hasnt been too cold the past two weeks, since Ive had my Sport Premium CVT. I expect the mileage to keep creeping up!!

Love the car. First Subie and it will not be the last one in the family I am pretty sure!!
    Hey everyone, this is my first boxer engine since by days with a 56' VW oval bug. Do all boxer engines sound like this? I wonder sometimes how can you tell if you are having problems with the engine with it having its own special sound? Do 911s rumble like this also? :blush:
    I have 10 year old 3M Expel equivalent to Ventureshield on my Element. It made a HUGE difference, especially if you do a lot of highway driving.

We are considering it for the Impreza, and I have read good things about Ventureshield.

How much did it cost to have it done?

Has anyone been brave enough to try doing it themselves? I did it myself on the Element and it wasn't too bad, but that was a very simple single piece plus headlight covers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2012
    The Ventureshield install was $500. I priced self-install kits, but the bumper would have been VERY challenging and the pre-cut hood would not have allowed for rolling the edges, leaving that exposed area vulnerable to chips. I'm the kind of person that likes doing things for myself, but in this case, I'm confident in my decision to hire a pro.

Oh, I forgot to mention in my previous post that we had the headlamps covered, too. The wax I use prevents headlight hazing, but they still get shipped and cracked from rock hits, so I wanted the protection.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Boxers have a unique sound, but the old air cooled ones sounded a lot different than water-cooled ones do.

They have an inherent 2nd order balance and do without the balance shafts that an in-line 4 requires, reducing reciprocating mass. It's one of the reasons a 2.0l Impreza AWD matches the tiny Kia Soul's gas mileage, even with FWD and Direct Injection. :shades:
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,758
    I wonder if that is something that could be installed over glass (such as the windshield). I'm not sure how the Impreza's glass will hold up, but recent model years, at least for Subaru, tend to chip and crack much easier than they did in the past.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The slope on these Imprezas are very low, like back in the days when I had a Civic and Integra. Never had a crack or a chip on those cars. Its so streamlined, I even drove it in the rain without using wipers....the water just blows right off when driving on the freeway. Please note, these are very short cycles of rain and would not recommend doing this. Thank you for your copperation :P
  • camdollcamdoll Member Posts: 13
    Anyone else noticed this? Happens to mine a lot
    Only happened once on the first day I drove it home adn into the garage. Since then, no more.
  • seaflipperseaflipper Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2012
    Hi Everyone, I just ordered my 2012 Sport Limited this week. It's my 3rd new Subaru so I'm very excited to get this.

I was told about 8 weeks since this was a factory order, what are others experiences out there with wait times right now?
    You'll get it in 4 weeks...5 tops. When I ordered my on 11/27/11, they said it will be here 1/21/12. It came in wednesday 12/21/11. I was happy and bummed at teh same time. Happy its here, but bummed I wasn't able to save up for an extra month :)
  • mmyk72mmyk72 Member Posts: 67
    The slope on these Imprezas are very low, like back in the days when I had a Civic and Integra. Never had a crack or a chip on those cars

My Integra hasn't gotten many rock chips also and I agree the slope is quite low (very classy design). BUT, I think the hood being flush with the front bumper helps deflect the air current to keep things from hitting the hood (just a guess). The Impreza isn't designed like that though.
  • 007fil007fil Member Posts: 9
    I'm on my 4th week of waiting for my Sport Limited, and the dealer emailed this Tuesday and said it should be here in 3 weeks.
    A 6 to 8 week wait is what I was originally told, and can't wait to receive it.

Why is it taking so long to get these new Imprezas, anyone??
    I think it is due to Subaru not being one of the big 3 carmakers in japan, so they make less cars, plus the tsunami, and earthquake, and maybe because this is a new model, they were a bit cautious in producing them? That's my guess. :blush:
    True. My '06 Xterra had the aerodynamics of a brick ;)
    Thought I would post a link to pics of my Sport Premium. Haven't seen many white satin pearls out there

link title

• dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Thought I would post a link to pics of my Sport Premium. Haven't seen many white satin pearls out there

Looks sharp in white with the grey wheels and black accents.

Pretty sure I'm going to splurge for the Sport Limited w/ Moonroof. For the extra $2088 (vs Sport Premium w/ CVT) you get leather, auto climate control, HD radio, moonroof and a few odds and ends.

Now I have to decide the color. I've narrowed it down to 4 ... Ice Silver, Satin White, Marine Blue, and Camillia Red. My brother has a 2012 Ice Silver OB and Mom has a 2011 Azurite Blue OB.

Decisions, decisions.
  • debbadoo2debbadoo2 Member Posts: 24
    I am leaning toward filly loaded Sport Ltd as well. Sage Green 2-tone or Red Camelia. One has ivory leather and one has black leather. Can't decide which I would prefer.
  • 007fil007fil Member Posts: 9
    Awesome pics, looks great!

I'm awaiting my dark grey metallic Sport Limited. These pics make me all that more excited to get mine.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Nice...

I'm in a toss up between the Sport Limited with the Marine Blue with Silver / White pin stripping (gotta get my Detroit Lions colors in there) or the Camellia Red.

I would be getting from the get go the following things added on;

Moonroof
    Crossbars - Aero
    Hood Protector / Stone Guard
    Roof Spoiler

Odie
    After viewing some of the pictures, I think if I end up getting the Sport Limited I might have to fully trick this pony out.

Here is a Link to Pictures of alot of the options.

Odie
    I really love that Camillia red! The window drip moldings look really good too but I don't like how they don't go all the way on the rear window. Looks incomplete to me.

When I was signing all my paperwork at the dealership, I saw the Camillia red and had a moment where I thought "Crap, now I kinda like the red!" but I decided to stick with my initial choice of the WSP. Retrospectively, I made the right choice.

I'm thinking about tinting my windows, just a little tint. Something that matches the tone of the gunmetal wheels. I also have a friend that installs the string LED lights on cars so I'm thinking about adding a few of those. Not sure where yet. Maybe some eyebrows
    After looking through all the pictures I have added alot more to my initial build (if I get the vehicle.)

Add-ons... (1st 4 were the original choices)

Moonroof
    Rear Spoiler
    Crossbars - Aero
    Hood Deflector
    Mesh Grill
    Full Underspoiler Kits (Front, Rear, Areo, & Strake)
    110w Outlet (need this for the rear DVD's :shades: )
    Possible upgrade to Goodyear tires.

Odie
  • prestcoprestco Member Posts: 10
    yes I agree not too many white, beautiful! Waiting for my white hatch.. I will be driving from S.F. Bay area thru CA central valley to Sierra Foothills 105 degrees in summer, can't see getting into dark colored car in these conditions. Lot easier to heat inside up than to cool down. '
    thanks for pics
  • nbonbo Member Posts: 11
    thx for the pics. I just took delivery on a white sport premium $20300 before tax and everything last week. The car has been rock solid so far. However, for the oil changing intervals. My dealer told me to bring it in at 3750 and 7500. Which is little different than everybody else? So don't know who to trust yet. What do you guys think ?
    I read there was a revision in the manual that said 7500. What does your manual say? That's what i would trust.
    Looks like a reward type credit card that earns you Subaru bucks. Up to 500 a year for repairs, oil changes....etc. thought i'd share.
    edited February 2012
    Yes, this is a Chase-issued card that many of us use already. It's very handy. I think the process used is a little cumbersome, but the results are great! :shades:

It can be used for Subaru parts, service, or the purchase of a new vehicle.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • mmyk72mmyk72 Member Posts: 67
    If you have the Subaru cc already, can you tell me if you can only redeem the subaru bucks in 100 increments. And once they send you the 100 subaru bucks, does the certificate expire?
    Yes, $100 increments, though you can buy t-shirts, accessories, tires, Subaru Gold warranties, even pay for body shop work. I have.

I think you get 5 years from the date of issue to use them.
    my dealer stated the same..however the first one...3750 was a freebie on the dealer.....so didnt cost me anything but a little time...after that they stated every 7500....with the next one due at 7500.....which is the interval in the manual.......

I took the first one as the break in change......to be honest...my MPG increased slightly after the first change...which I did at 3300 just based on my timing and availability to get the change done.....will roll 4K on the way home today during the commute...after 7 weeks of ownership.....

would say if not free.....and not severe driving pattern....do as the owners manual states......
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited February 2012
    I think you get 5 years from the date of issue to use them.

* 4 year expiration
    * non-transferable
    * maximum of $500 rewards (3% of $16,666.66 charges) per year. Year is based on credit card anniversary, not calendar year.
    * $2000 redemption max (4 yr x 500/yr)

P.S. I have $1900 accumulated; will most likely earn the final $100 next month. :) 1st reward expires 4/4/2012 = Gotta order me an Impreza Sport Limited w/ Moonroof SOON.

P.P.S. Also have a $250 discount certificate (email from Philly Auto Show sign-up) that expires 4/4/2012.
    I have not read anything about a redemption max, but yes, it would be difficult to exceed $2,000 in redemption on a single card's certificates. You could do so, however, because the certificates expire four years (originally was three!) from the date of issue, and the date of issue is based on the billing cycle end date during which your "rewards balance" exceeds $100.

Thus far, I have had my cards for about four years and used the certificates on two Subaru purchases (about $1,300 total redemption) and just recently purchased an extended warranty (another $1,500) for my '10 Forester.

I'm glad that this is a rewards card that I can actually use. If the US government hadn't screwed up air travel so terribly, I would most likely have an Alaska Airlines Visa instead.
    That's 8 weeks, 6-8 weeks to order to I'd go today. :shades:
    I agree. I don't think you can redeem the certificates (Philly coupon or Bucks) until the dealer takes inventory of the car (often can be done when the car is issued a VIN and MCO), which means if it takes a full eight weeks, you'd be cutting that 4/4 expiration date pretty close.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    It's true there's a $500 annual limit per card....
    However, there's no problem getting another card. I've got one, and my wife's got another one. To be sure we can use them, I got them both in my name, adding her to the second one, but in reality we keep 'em separate.

That way, it can add up siginificantly.
    Cheers -Mathias
  • myname2myname2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2012 CVT hatch with the Yokohama Avid S33 All Seasons in 205/55 R16. Since I bought the car in early January the outside temperature was between -20 C and -5C (-4 F to 23 F). At these temperatures and speeds of 80 km/h (50 mph) and up the car felt like running on rough pavement (like those made with small cobble stones protruding from the surface). Yesterday it was +5 C (41 F) for the first time since I have the car and all that roughness disappeared, it ran smooth as silk. Today it was -5 C (23 F) again, and she felt rough again. I am thinking tires being possibly too stiff at colder temps (even though they are designated all seasons). Has anyone else noticed that? Tire pressure is o.k., lug nuts are torqued correctly. Other than that it is a great vehicle and I love to drive it. The dealer even gave me a free snow-drifting session using the demonstrator they had :) Thank you.
    Tires will do that, but it generally doesn't become noticeable until closer to -20F. If yours is doing it at temps just under freezing, I'd say those tires will not be the best for winter use....
  • onemodogonemodog Member Posts: 26
    The more I drive my Impreza, the more I love it! The thing I love most right now are how comfortable the seats are! My commute is not the longest but these seats make me wish it were!
    How about you?
  • iliketoshiftiliketoshift Member Posts: 24
    The seats are very good. I was worried too because the seats in our Forester are pretty lousy.
    Here's some stuff I like:
    the trip clock
    the radio controls on the steering wheel
    the big side-mirrors
  • angitheriasangitherias Member Posts: 34
    All season tires freeze up or stiffen at 7 degrees C and less. That is where your getting the driving on Flintstones wheels feeling. A dedicated winter tire is made to stay soft at below freezing temperatures.

The "all season" tag means the tire meets the bare minimum traction for dry, wet and snowy conditions.
  • It's hard to pick just one feature, but if pressed, I'd probably go with the spacious and usable interior. The cargo and legroom are fantastic for the class and allow us to get great gas mileage and still meet our family volume needs.
    I'm still deciding on the vehicle to replace but now that I found out that we get a discount from work on the Subaru its looking more and more likely it will be the vehicle.

My question is.....
    Has anyone had any pinstriping done on the Sport Limited / Premium? It has been narrowed down to either the Ice Silver (1st choice), Marine Blue (2nd choice). I'm thinking a nice Honolulu Blue over Black on the Ice Silver and on the Marine Blue it would be a Silver over Black.

Other question I'm kicking around is I'm trying to to figure out what the cars name would end up being. I have always named my cars and it usually isn't till after I purchase it, but a name give it some personallity. Anyone in the forum name their Impreza 5-door?

Odie