Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• Same here, Pao. I had one hard start the day after I bought it, and since then have waited a couple of seconds to prime the fuel injectors before engaging the starter motor. No repeat occurrences.
  • curlfriendcurlfriend Member Posts: 5
    so...am nearly ready to shoot on this car, BUT...developing some concern with things we can't really determine pre-purchase. we live in super-hilly san francisco and are considering this as a city car + the frequent weekend getaway-mobile (to mostly non-snowy climes, but skiing as well). we don't commute. i've ruled out pretty much all competitors except ford focus on various grounds (including a huge one, which is our super-small shared garage slot -- current car mazda protege 174 inches long and 67 wide).

my biggest concerns are safety (we have small children) and fitting in our garage. mileage is a distant third. will impreza fit the bill? will the constant hill and city and city/hill driving harsh our mellow?

finally: i've always driven a manual, but gotta go with the CVT 'cause of mileage.

thanks for any insights. most folks here live in places with harsher weather, but a safe, small car is still what we want here in SF.
  • dfong87dfong87 Member Posts: 171
    thanks. too bad. i could fit a lot of stuff with the spare in my old civic. i was hoping to have a nice place to hide the jumper cables (which i have never had to use for myself, but always handy to help others) but maybe that's what AAA is for? :)

i don't carry much with me toolwise: just a small socket set and leatherman for emergencies but maybe all i really need is the latter. i'd like to hide my first aid kit in there too (mine is pretty small).

anyway, i guess i'll have to wait and see...
  • thom52thom52 Member Posts: 30
    "Same here, Pao. I had one hard start the day after I bought it, and since then have waited a couple of seconds to prime the fuel injectors before engaging the starter motor. No repeat occurrences. "

My wife has been very careful to do the full waiting with key "ON" routine, putting on her seat belt after turning the key and waiting for gauges to flop around. A bit of a hassle, but she got into the routine. Then it happened again even with that and it wasn't THAT cold of a day. Hopefully this AWD car can run in something other than Florida or South CA summer weather.

Someone on another Impreza forum claims they "fixed" it by running "Sea Foam" gas cleaner (and a tankful of high octane, which might be optional) through the system. He claims that fixed ALL the hard starting problem (implied no more waiting required) and actually picked up a couple MPG, even a couple tankfuls later.

Theory is some gunk or residue from the fabrication process got into the tank or fuel system and needs to be cleaned out.

My only hesitation in trying this very easy and cheap possible fix is I thought I remember seeing somewhere in Owners Manual NOT to put any fuel system cleaners in the tank.(and no explanation of why not). But I can't find that reference when I tried to find it again. Its certainly buried if its there.
    Might be worth the gamble. And even in my dim memory it was vague about what was "improper".

Just don't come after me if you try it and the fuel system welds itself into an unwarranted molten mess or something..... :P
  • techdudetechdude Member Posts: 87
    After driving the car for two days, i'm averaging about 34-35mpg. I drive 60 miles one way. 45 miles on the highway and 15 on the back road. I haven't changed my driving style as i rarely go over 65 on the highway and try to cost downhill as much as possible.
  • Hmmm, that's an interesting theory about the deposits. Top tier gas will already contain detergents, so it seems like regular filling with quality gasoline would accomplish the same end result. We've only had the one occurrence with a hard start, which just required a second turn of the key, so I haven't tried anything else to troubleshoot.
  • bruusterbruuster Member Posts: 2
    I too drive a lot of hills daily. On the downhill if the engine seems to be braking too much, I just flip the shifter paddles to raise the gear to 5th or 6th.
    This works well for me. On winding downhills I move to manual mode and rarely use the brakes.

Limited Hatchback CVT
  • iliketoshiftiliketoshift Member Posts: 24
    My #1 is safety, too. Every Subaru is an IIHS top pick. NHTSA hasn't tested the Impreza yet, but this is one area I have no worries about. I have a 3 & 5 year old, with two car seats firmly in the back - I could cross the safety concerns off my list.
    The car parks well in the city, though I'm getting used to judging things without a trunk, but it turns tightly which is key. I can also fit it easily in my small 1940s garage. There's probably 4" on each side of the mirror entering the garage.
    Now the hills - I have a feeling that you could do better on MPG taking on hills. I never realized how hilly my commute to work is until I started watching the RPMs in my CVT. The car likes to ensure you have reserve power, so it's not eager to stay in virtual-top-gear going up a hill. You can also hear the engine & CVT get loud up hills. Noise notwithstanding, you'll never drive up a hill and mutter "i think i can i think i can" under your breath. ;)

If it were me, not living where there's snow, I might go with the Focus on the MPG alone, except that the Impreza's back seat felt marginally bigger, which is nice with kids, especially getting them in and out of their car seats.
  • thom52thom52 Member Posts: 30
    We contacted a local "expert" Subaru mechanic (not authorized to do warranty work unfortunately) and he STRONGLY insists Sea Foam is a bad idea. He did not seem to have any proposed solutions either though.

Took it to the dealer and they said "no codes, no problem", and insisted we were the only people in the world to have this problem.

My wife INSISTED they log the problem, which they strongly resisted. Of course there are no other reports of the problem if no one logs the problem.

People need to be reporting and insisting they log this problem if Subaru is EVER going to address it, since its been apparently an issue for years now.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I have run nothing but Shell and Sunoco in my Limited.....agree that folks need to at least document the hard starts when they take them into the dealers for maintenance....
  • ericspyderericspyder Member Posts: 33
    Thanks Bob. Could you let us know when you picking it ? I'll trying to aim at that price. Good luck
    hi all,
    so i got some great news from my dealer. it appears that our Limited 5DR is coming in "early." it's ETA is April 6 which is basically 4 weeks from the day we placed the order. the dealer said that this sometimes happens when your vehicle matches what is available (maybe 1 in 10 orders).

anyway, getting greedy, i'm trying to figure out what the updated status means. it's supposed to have an estimated arrival (presumably at the dealer) of April 6, but it's Scheduled date is March 29. is the latter some sort of "in port date" and then it takes a week or so to get to the dealer after everything is said and done?

thanks for any experiences. i'm getting excited! :)
  • bobdole888bobdole888 Member Posts: 38
    "Thanks Bob. Could you let us know when you picking it ? I'll trying to aim at that price. Good luck"

I just got a message from the dealer, my order is coming in early.
    Originally I thought I would be waiting until May, they said it's coming in 4/5.

If you are in the SF area, I think the prices are good.
    I got another email from Stevens Creek Subaru saying that they would knock off another $250 from their last quote. So I think they are still being aggressive with prices.
    The $100 off invoice price I'm getting is still a better deal...
    interesting: i wonder if our is coming in on the same truck to the bay area? (mine is apr 6)...

maybe production is ramping up to meet demand...
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    The $100 off invoice price I'm getting is still a better deal...

I thought you said you got it for $1000 below invoice?
    Yes, I missed a 0.

1 thousand off invoice is what I'm getting.

I think Stevens Creek Subaru's new offer probably would have amounted to $700 off invoice.
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    mine is due into the dealer on the 6th, also. But he said, due to trucking logistics, it may be a day earlier or a day later. He did give me a VIN number.
  • larry1135larry1135 Member Posts: 43
    My understanding is that there is an order numer created with your name attached to it and when the car is made and shipped it shows a VIN with your order. I had the manager at Subaru show the order screen.
    Hi Bob,
    Wow! very good. I chat with internet representative yesterday that I'm looking for something similar to your order( price and option ). She said that internet sale manager will contact me the same day, but until now haven't heard from them.
    Could you tell me how did you start your dealing with them from beginning? thank you so much.

Eric
    Eric,

I asked for quote through edmunds.com and carsdirect.com.
    Capital subaru works with both of those sites.
    The internet director (Jamie Cassady) of sales there contacted me by email.
    Keep in mind, you only get better pricing for ordering instead of car off the lot.
    I'm not sure why that's case, but all of the dealers told me that.
  • wimchattawimchatta Member Posts: 28
    In the SF Bay area, do take a look at Livermore Subaru - ask for an internet quote, the salesman there is very straightforward.
    I had an almost peaceful, low-pressure experience. Didn't have to negotiate, the price was what I wanted to pay (would have gone elsewhere to shop around if had been higher), so I gladly focused then on fine-tuning the options. Stevens Creek is good, too, especially about being knowledgeable about the cars, but they were setting the price higher once they sensed I had decided on the Subaru Impreza.

Have ordered an Impreza Premium Hatchback w/ Auto, Nav, Moonroof (option code 29), alloy wheel package plus upgraded speakers, fog lamp, remote starter and a couple of smaller options. Satin white pearl, ivory cloth trim.
    ~$23800 + fees etc. which is ~800 below invoice if am correct.

Will add an aftermarket rear backup sensor array (ultrasonic) when it comes in. Good luck all, you cannot go wrong with the Impreza, I think.
    Bob,

Thank you for fast reply. This is very good information. I appreciated.

Eric
  • 90legacy2wd90legacy2wd Member Posts: 4
    I ordered in Kansas City market a 5dr, cvt, premium with nav/sunroof package MSRP$24271. The best price I could find in the KC area was $350 OVER invoice thru Costco. This came to $23,211 + $200 adm. fees. Also tried referral thru AAA and Consumer reports that went through Olathe Subaru and their price was $500 over plus $300 adm. The Olathe dealer said there was no negotiations. That was their price. The True Car/Zag price was 22,903 in late Jan. but up to $23,203 when I ordered, so figured the $23,211 was close enough. The dealer is quoting 4-6 weeks.
    The MSRP was increased $300 when I received confirmation which was from Subarunet.com a
    site the dealer has access. It gave me a VON number and the MSRP of $24,571. I believe the extra $300 is that the car will be a PZEV. The dealer has not indicated they are passing this on to me.
    In conclusion, the best price I could find in KC market was $350 over +$200 adm. Additionally I was the person who was the aggressor in calling the dealers. neither initially responded from the Costco, AAA, or Consumer Reports referrals and once contacting them I did not here back for a week and had to call the sales person. They claimed they had been busy.
    How much is thebackup array including installation?

Is the aftermatket backup camera that uses the existing LCD display?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Saw a 5 door in Satin White Pearl with the gunmetal wheels, and I gotta say - best color I've seen for the new Impreza.

Funny thing is, I usually don't like white!
    edited March 2012
    while the pricing should be straightforward, it seems that the printed prices aren't really the prices (in other words, there is the price, and then there is the real price...sound confusing?).

When I started negotiations, I told the salesman what I wanted and that I wanted to pay $100 below invoice. It took him less than 5 minutes to offer me a price at $200 below invoice (apparently, everyone gets "employee" pricing for February and March).

Go figure. They aren't losing money, that's for sure.

John
    that's my car...but for the regular 16" alloys that come with the premium...

I really like the interior color too, very good combo for hot weather climates.

John
  • rjmas95rjmas95 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me if the larger/lower-profile tires on the Sport model yield a harsher or noisier ride than the sedan?

I'm about ready to buy, but haven't had a chance to drive a sport model. I know I don't want a base hatch, because without the gunmetal rims it looks to staid to me, so that leaves me choosing between a premium sedan or sport premium hatch. I'm a young guy and really like the style of the sport model, but I do a great deal of highway driving and find tire noise to be rather irksome. Any insight?
    I had a Crystal White miata, and didn't like the color. It was flat, dead.

The Impreza's pearl looks great. :shades:
  • frackerfracker Member Posts: 3
    1st tank on my Impreza hatchback with auto tranny I got 21mpg(did dealer completely fill the tank???). 2nd tank which I completely filled was 32 mpg on a 230 mile trip. 35 miles were city,rest 2 lane highway with 3000 ft decent going(into a BIG headwind) & 3000 foot ascent on return. I suspect this car will get 36mpg on trips. Is GREAT in heavy snow on steep ascents(I live in snow country). From many dead stops in 8 inches of snow on steeps it just takes off, NO slippage at all. Skis dented the arm rest upholstery though.
  • aknight3aknight3 Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,
    I haven't had a chance to test drive it, but I'm very interested in the 2012 Impreza Hatchback. I currently own a 2007 Forester which I love, but I would like to get better gas mileage. I play a large stand up bass and need to be able to fit it in the car. My dealer will not have any in until next week. So, I'm wondering how the space compares to the Forester and if a standard will get better gas mileage than an automatic. Thanks!
    A.K.
  • rayccraycc Member Posts: 28
    That is how much I pay as well from lee summit Subaru. $350 over invoice +199 adm fee
  • camdollcamdoll Member Posts: 13
    Thats my car! I got the sport premium in WSP and got the windows tinted at 24% front/18%back. Looks super slick with the bright SWP and the gunmetal wheels.

NEVER thought I would ever like a white car, but this thing is one handsome looking car!

As far as I know, this combination is very rare. Where are you located? Maybe you saw mine??
  • jd_24jd_24 Member Posts: 92
    I own a 2001 Outback, and the Impreza space at least in the passenger area is slightly bigger. Cargo area measurements I found on a web page indicate the following with the seat folded down.
    61" total length from behind rear seats to hatch.
    95" total length from front console to hatch.
    30" height.
    42" wide at rear wheel wells.

At least with the EPA ratings the automatic gets better gas mileage. I think this has been a theme for Subaru for a while.

I can confirm the dimensions in a day or two....patiently waiting for the arrival.
  • mtbdannymtbdanny Member Posts: 1
    Congrats! I too think the White Pearl is a great color. It was my first choice but not offered with black leather (wish it were) so I ordered my second choice Ice Silver.
    DC area. Car sure looked sharp, if it's yours congrats! :shades:
  • wimchattawimchatta Member Posts: 28
    Hi Bob,
    The ultrasonic backup warning, based on an array of four sensors on the rear bumper, is $450 - $650 installed, based on three quotes, two from dealers and one from a Pleasanton garage shop. Have not yet determined the brand, capability etc. - my Odyssey's backup warning system (cost $650) works great, hence want the same capability in the Impreza.

I did not look for a backup camera, believe the ultrasonic with auditory warning is sufficient for safety, and maybe safer than looking at a screen within the console.
  • aknight3aknight3 Member Posts: 9
    Thank you for the info, I want to actually see and drive it. My 2007 Forester has nice visibility, I'm curious about that as well. I'm going to actually test drive one tomorrow, will keep you posted!
  • willeewillee Member Posts: 3
    Four tanks over varied terrain at varying temperatures driving around 60-70 mph gave us a consistent 32.5 mpg. I expect this to continue and maybe improve as the car breaks in.

Tires are at least as good as the Generals we've had on earlier Subarus, and way better than the Potenzas Subi used to supply. Nothing brilliant, but nothing hair-raising. We will probably change to Hankook Optimos when they wear down.

The ride and roominess is outstanding for any size car.

Marine Blue is a pretty sharp color on the Sport Premium, too.
    I bought mine at St. Cloud, MN Subaru for Dealer Invoice less 1%. Same discount on accessories.
  • birdadlybirdadly Member Posts: 10
    That's exactly what I thought! I think I would have loved White with Black Leather interior... but no black... so I too went with Ice Silver/Black Leather :)
  • birdadlybirdadly Member Posts: 10
    In the same boat here, I'm wondering how long it takes to get from Vancouver to Chicago! Just today I got a call saying that it's in North America and soon to be on it's way! Now to decide if I'm getting an extended warranty or the interior/exterior protection plans... I hate the extra costs!!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    As stated previously, you do not need to get the extended warranty at the time of purchase. One advantage, possibly, is that you can roll the cost of the warranty into the new car financing if you go that route, but you can also pay for the warranty on a payment plan later on.

I don't think there is much, if any, value in the protection plans, which are likely dealer-based as opposed to the extended warranty (which is backed by Subaru).
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    If you decide on an extended warranty shop on-line before buying from the dealer. I decided to buy an extended warranty for my 2012 sedan. I bought a 7 yr/100K mile, $100 deductible plan for about $1300. I think the list price is $2000 or $2200.
  • kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    Ya know, mine was also the first Impreza to arrive at Broadway Subie in Oakland. They let me take it home, then called me to tell me that it shouldn't have goe out yet because the did not replace the master cylinder yet, which was a problem back a few months ago..kinda recall thing.
  • impreza_rocksimpreza_rocks Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    I am thinking of ordering a Marine Blue 2012 2.0 Sport Limited with MR and Nav (CLL 63) with remote starter.

Details on Subie Impreza ordering can be found here: http://www.subaruofkeene.com/2012-subaru-impreza.htm

What did you get yours for?
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    depends on the region of the country and each individual dealer to be honest....look here on edmunds for average pricing or on the trucar site which gives you a regional area pricing......

seen many deals several hundred off invoice......
  • wdr_cowdr_co Member Posts: 1
    One week into ownership of 2012 Impreza 5-door. Loving it, except that the passenger air bag indicator shows "ON" when there is no one in the seat. Even tossing the mail in the front seat is enough to set it off.

Is it meant to be this sensitive or is there a weight threshold when it should go off? This is going to be a problem if you can't have anything in the front seat. I can put the seat belt on, but really I want the air bag to be off if no one is sitting there. No sense in it deploying in case of accident if there is no one in the seat. Can I install a kill switch (without voiding warranty)?

Thanks
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    edited March 2012
    It should be weight sensitive, but I don't know how much for that particular vehicle. I want to say about 20# of weight on the seat. My Outbacks ('07 and '08) were set to activate for an ~100# occupant. With the '07, it would sometimes come on with a fifth grader in the front seat who weighted about 90#, so maybe he carried too much weight up high! :P

On the '08, I drove it a few thousand miles with my son (three+ at the time) in the seat, plus his car seat. The light never switched from "off." My guess that he weighed about 35#, plus another ? for the seat.

Your owner manual should say for sure.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250