Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Subaru Impreza

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    Hahaha; hey, that's why I said it might be something for your service dept to perform! :blush:

Over the top hole is not good. A few millimeters is within the margin of error and won't hurt anything, but if it is 10 or more (~1/2"), yes, it could cause serious oil leak issues down the road. They will start slow and grow progressively worse over time.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    You shouldn't drain any more than 3.5 to 4 quarts out of the pan. ...

That little FB20 takes 5.3 quarts of oil (w/ filter change).

BTW, the FB25 takes 5.5 quarts.
    Oh, wow... that's a quart over the EJ25. Okay, add a quart to those numbers! ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Xspd = VC (Continuous)

NOT...!

VC implementations are reactive, only couple torque AFTER of period of wheelspin/slip(***). At least thats the way they worked prior to ABS, VDC, etc, becoming standard equipment.

With the DCCD system and any of these safety features, ABS, CDC, etc, activate the DCCD coupling can be INSTANTLY opened.

So I suspect, like the '01 F/awd Lexus RX300, before stability control, etc, become standard the VC actually worked, after....NOT.

***Since TC will almost always activate the instant wheelspin/slip is detected there will be little or no opportunity for the VC to ever "stiffen".
  • dfong87dfong87 Member Posts: 171
    driving range update: my driving range predictor has now gone up to 290 (from 240! i now have about 55 miles on the car averaging just under 30mpg, so this still isn't right...
    i know i read somewhere what it represents, but can someone refresh my memory:

i know the MPG indicator (below the speedometer) indicates current mileage above/below the current trip average, however, what do the tick marks represent? 1 mpg each?

thanks!
  • jd_24jd_24 Member Posts: 92
    I don't think the lines mean anything. For me this week anything above current 55mpg seemd to have a needle pegged right(+). Anything under 10mpg the needle was pegged left(-). When at or really close to the average MPG the needle was in the middle.

I just filled up for the first time. 10 gallons. 310 miles.
    Computer showed 33.3 mpg.
    The tank wasn't 100% full when I picked it up. Something like 2 bars down.
    I think there was 4 bars still showing on the gas gauge when I filled up.
    I tend never to empty a tank to get the warning light. the warning light comes on with 2.6 gallons left. I wonder what that means for the bars displayed on the gauge. I also notice I could "top-off" much more than my old subaru. Yes, not a good thing to do but I just wanted to see how much more goes in once the pump shuts off. I didn't actuall watch gallons, but it was about another dollars worth or so.
    I think you need more miles and a longer trip. I'm not sure how the range is predicted, but mine also started (first tank) near 240. That was after the dealer had the car idling for 5-10 minutes and less than 10 miles on the odometer.

Once I had numerious miles (100+??) the gause started to reflect more realistic numbers and went up to 330 or something. After my fill-up, its at 450 or something like that.

--jay
  • birdadlybirdadly Member Posts: 10
    Quote: "How did you find out it was in port? My delivery date is April 9 too, but I haven't been told anything."

The dealer told me, and at the same time gave me the VIN #. After that, I got a message saying it would be ready this week instead of next, and I got a call last night from the finance manager to set up an appointment. So my April 9th date turned into April 4th!!
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    warning light will come on and NO bars will be showing...so the 2.6ish reserve isnt part of the bar indicator...but is part of the estimated mileage left on the dash cluster........about to roll 10K in my limited HB sometime late next week!!!!!
  • hempy7777hempy7777 Member Posts: 3
    When did you order? I ordered on the 9the of Feb and have heard nothing. The dealer keeps checking for me but no info.
    :(
  • irritatrixirritatrix Member Posts: 40
    So, the Impreza Hatchback I ordered Feb. 28 came in yesterday, and I picked it up awhile ago. I had exactly two minutes of new car euphoria, then it all crashed. The steering wheel has a constant vibration - not bad enough to be visible, but something anyone would be able to feel - and an hour after finishing the 45 mile drive home from the dealer, my hands are still numb. I have to take it on a 400 mile round trip starting tomorrow and I don't know how I'll be able to do it. I've packed heavy gloves, hoping that'll dampen it, but that's not a long-term solution. Anyone else had this problem? Is it the tires (it came with Yokohomas)? If it's the tires I'd run right out and drop some bucks to replace them. I simply can't live with my hands getting numb like this every time I drive the car. :cry: I'm beyond disappointed. I didn't notice this on the sedan I test drove. I'll call the dealer Monday but was just wondering if any other new owners had this problem, and if so, what they did about it.
  • irritatrixirritatrix Member Posts: 40
    Ok, I just looked at the wheels. There don't seem to be any of those little weights they put on the rims when you get new tires and they balance the wheels. Is there some way the wheels would have been balanced but not have those?
    I would guess its a wheel balance issue. I have different wheels with the Sport Premium, but I'll guess the wheel weights are done in the same manner. The weights are not the old traditional style out of the side of the rim. They are a strip of "square" looking metal (lead?) that are on the inner part of the rim.
    picture and article about them: Wheel Weights
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    wheel balance issue is my bet...take it back to the dealer and have them check the balance.......handle it under warranty.......surprised the dealer didnt catch it as part of their deliver prep.....
  • kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 99
    Which do you use and why? I will use it mainly for oil changes, not just the Subie, but my other car also.
    good question: i have long been a jack and jackstands guy. but i have yet to see if my jack can scoot under the front of the Impreza far enough so i can jack it up and then put it on jackstands. i hope that is the case, else i guess i will have to invest in ramps (which is sad since i have a really nice jack which i actually can't use with my wife's prius since it's jack point is too far for my jack to reach and i have to manage changing oil without jacking the car up.)

of course, i haven't looked to see how far back the drain plug is yet. if i can reach it by hand, there is maybe no need to jack the car up since the oil filter is so convenient in this car!
    well, i installed my homelink mirror last night, and by disconnecting the battery, this range initially reset to nothing. this morning, after a short drive, it now shows 310! (i'm about 65-70 miles into this tank with two bars down)
    i thought i should share my experiences of my homelink/autodimming mirror last night to hopefully help people in the future should they attempt the same....

bottom line: it was much tougher than i thought! :\

background: i realized after ordering my car that i really wanted the homelink functionality. my dealer was willing to sell me the mirror "at cost" ($162) for self install, which was very good compared to online pricing. the dealer wanted, however $267 for it installed (which is supposedly discounted off of the retail cost of $330 or so installed).

the instructions* i read on the web (from the Subaru technical site) looked very clear and my only concern was understanding how to take the old mirror off and not cracking the map light cover when prying it off.

* see http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/66206/pdf/066206-h501sfj100.pdf

well, my fears for those items were unfounded, but i ran into three issues (two big ones, IMHO) that i hope i can share with you folks should someone else attempt this on their own:

1. the harness that is supposed to be contained within the map light/BT mic assembly does not exist as indicated in the instructions. i spent 20-30 minutes inspecting it with a fined tooth comb (while it hung from the headliner) and unwrapping foam coverings to find nothing. i felt around the edge of the headliner for the longest time, and somehow by a miracle felt something. after fiddling with what i felt, i could pull it close to the opening (within 1") so that i could see with my headlamp that it was probably the connector i wanted but i needed to pull back the foam wrap. it's hard to explain: but this was difficult because there was no slack...i couldn't freely get my hand in there so i had to use two fingers to peel back the foam wrap and it took me a lot of finger gymnastics to plug the harness that came with this mirror into this plug.

2. the next part was brutal: on the same instruction step, the next job is to fish/feed the harness through the headliner out to where the headliner meets the windshield (hereafter, interface). this took me probably 1 hour of trial, error, fear of tearing my headliner, cutting up my hand, and much consternation. there were several moments when i was ready to throw in the towel and just pay the dealer the extra $110 or so bucks to complete the job for me. yes, i was that frustrated by it all. maybe the dealers/subbie installers have a special "feed/fish" tool, but i struggled with a chop stick, metal skewer, screwdrivers, and a number of other things i had, and nothing worked. even when i finally got it to the point where i could stick my finger at the interface and feel the connector hitting my finger, there was no way i could grab it out of fear of tearing the headliner which is supposed to be snug at this interface. finally, i had the idea to wrap a plant wrap (think: very long version of a supermarket twistie tie) on the connector and hope that i could get that to the interface for my fingers to grasp and then gently pry the headliner down enough to pull the connector through but yanking gently on the plant tie. in the end, that worked. i was sweating bullets the whole time wondering if was going to tear the headliner of my brand new car.

3. finally, the last bit of consternation relates to #1. the wiring harness is just barely long enough to go from the existing harness (the hidden one in #1) to the mirror itself, i don't know if i have 2.5in slack as suggested by the instructions, but i gave it only what i had. thankfully, i can see that i have enough slack such that the mirror can be moved without straining the wire.

my wife asked me afterward: was it worth it? honestly, my gut reaction was no. that was too much grief to save the money i did although i guess if i did it again, i now have more experience and could get it done quicker and without as much frustration (although that fishing/feeding step is a pain, regardless, i would still fear damaging the headliner if i were to help someone else install theirs. it should be noted that my motivation for the self install was sealed on the day i picked up my car. i planned on a self-install not only to save myself money, but also to save a trip to the dealer to install the mirror since they didn't have anyone available to install it for me the day i picked up the car. if they could have installed it before i picked up the car, i might have just paid them the money for the convenience of it all. in hindsight, that is definitely the case.

i'm sure the port installers have their ways of doing this in 10 minutes since they probably do so many, but for the neophyte, it's doable, but it's not nearly as easy as the instructions make it out to be (maybe it's easier on a forester or legacy), especially since the instructions aren't 100% accurate.

total install time: just under 2 hrs including getting tools ready, going through issues above, programming the homelink and compass (compass calibrated itself during commute this morning). if it weren't for the first two items noted above, it would have been a 20 minute job start to finish. but i think it was at least an hour and a half battling the harness and its connection to the vehicle's wiring/harness.

final thoughts:
    - i really think it's a bit cheap and unsightly how they try to hide the wire with this little guide thing that comes with the mirror and then, even with that, the wire "peels out" at the last minute and still needs to plug into the mirror and expose some wire. i checked my wife's prius and it does the same thing, but one would think they could build the wire plug into the mount itself for a cleaner looking install.
    - it works: i've never had a self dimming mirror before, but i'm looking forward to that feature in the days ahead (i bought it primarily for the homelink functionality)
    - it appears you can turn off the compass, but you need to do it on each drive (lame, if you ask me). i'd rather leave the compass off most of the time rather than have those red letters always there, but i guess i'll get used to it because i don't want to have to get in the habit of turning it off each time i drive.
    True. I haven't looked underneath the car yet either. Let's hope we don't need to use of the stand. :blush:
  • For this car I'm thinking neither ramps or jacks when it comes to routine oil changes. With the filter so conveniently located, I'll probably suction out the oil through the dipstick and leave the car on level ground. Some vehicles' dipstick tube arrangements make this difficult, so I won't know for certain if I can access all the oil until my first attempt with the Subie.

Otherwise I'll use ramps.
    tyguy, if i recall, you are the one who generously posted tons of pictures of your impreza including that of the drain plug location. is it within arms reach from the front of the vehicle without using a jack or ramps?

i'm not very familiar with suctioning out oil from the dipstick...

i probably should invest in ramps if i can't jack this car and either sell or give my jack away since i can't really use it with my wife's prius either. i've never used ramps and been a bit dubious of them "staying put" when i drive onto them, but i guess it's a matter of how heavy they are and how carefully i drive up them?
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    I think this is an ideal car to install a Fumoto valve.

Remove the access door, slide catch pan under, flip the lever to drain. :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Had one of those in my '98 Forester. Loved it.

By the way, you forgot option 3:

1. Ramps
    2. Jack Stands
    3. Pre-lifted XV model

:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2012
    Hi dfong87. Yep, that was my marine blue Impreza in all the pics. Hopefully they've helped a few people in their purchase decisions and getting what they want.

For the ramps, I've found the Blitz brand plastic molded sets to be very easy to drive up. They have large stops on the end of the ramp to prevent accidentally rolling too far forward. Just a gentle acceleration will get up the ramp, and you'll feel a "thunk" as the wheels roll onto the top platform. After that it's just a matter of blocking the back wheels for extra security and then getting to work.

The Impreza does have a long front overhang and low bumper, which just cleared the Blitz ramps, so I'd be cautious the first time with a different brand to insure the clearance is correct.

You can reach the plug without lifting the vehicle, but clearance will be tight for a pan.

As for suctioning, that's even easier. Pull out the oil dipstick, insert the suction hose, and pump the suction base (electric or manual pump). The question is whether or not the hose can fully insert to the bottom of the pan. With my van's 3.8 V6 motor getting the tube fully inserted to the bottom is difficult, but with most other cars it's no problem.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Our area has started to see the increase in Ethenol from 10% to 15% added to gas. This could be a contributing factor in your area.

Odie
    Tyguy, where do you purchase this pump from? What brand or model is this? It sounds pretty good. Will look into it once I get the info. ;)
  • bobdole888bobdole888 Member Posts: 38
    I picked my my impreza limited hatch back 4 days ago.
    So far I'm only getting 26MPG, with 80 miles driven after I reset trip A.
    I'm hoping the MPG would improved over time. I live in sunny california, so I can't blame the low MPG on cold weather.

The 15% ethenol, is that a seasonal thing, or are they mixing in 15% ethenol all year round?
    The Impreza does have a long front overhang and low bumper, which just cleared the Blitz ramps, so I'd be cautious the first time with a different brand to insure the clearance is correct.

That is the only issue I have come across when using ramps. Generally, for oil changes I will use ramps. For more involved work, I will use jack stands for two reasons: 1., I can remove the tires to allow more work room., and 2., the car simply feels more secure on the stands (no suspension movement, tires to roll, etc).

As far as the ramps staying in place, that's never an issue with a Subaru - given the AWD. With RWD cars (when driving the front end onto the ramps), they will sometimes push the ramps rather than roll up them. Since the front tires are drive tires, they literally climb the ramp and, therefore, the ramps do not tend to slide.
    thx, tyguy.

if you don't mind: can you give me some perspective on your photo on where the oil pan cutout is? is the drain plug facing front or back? is it centered or to the left or right of the car? i have fairly low profile pan which i just manage to make work with my wife's prius (although i basically have to let the drain plug fall into the pan and then retrieve it later), so i'm guess i can here, too.

but of course, i need to give these ramps and perhaps the suction method a bit of research and consideration.

thanks!
    congrats, bob! as you know, i think you set the record for the lowest price of any limited HB out there :)

i didn't even notice the recent mix of ethanol. is that true of all gas formulations/brands? in fact, i recall seeing something in the manual of making sure the car wasn't exceeding 10-15% ethanol (can't remember the amount specified)

i've been a long time chevron guy and will probably stick with that initially...(i have no clue what the dealer put in)
  • hcalcathcalcat Member Posts: 30
    Congrats, Bob. I picked up my DGM Sports Ltd last Saturday in Southern California. I have 200 miles and here are my car figures:

23.7 mpg
    Avg speed 16 mph
    Range remaining 200 miles
    Remaining fuel - half tank according to gauge

If I have 200 miles on it plus 200 miles range left minus the 15 miles on it when I picked it up, and use 12.7 gallons of gas from full to "empty", I should be in the neighborhood of 30 mpg. Just wishing.

I expect the mileage to be better on the second tank of gas. It feels peppy and I like the sound of the engine when you get on it.

As an aside, my 2 year/24 month maintenance warranty is scheduled by Subaru at 3000, 7500, 15,000, and 22,500 miles. Subaru uses a synthetic motor oil.
    "congrats, bob! as you know, i think you set the record for the lowest price of any limited HB out there "

I just got an email from Livormore Subaru, saying that they would beat any written offer from any dealer by $300 for cars they have on the lot.

So there's a good chance that someone can beat my price soon.

I'm a little bummed about the low MPG, but I heard from other forum that there are some tricks to bring the MPG up.
    1) for freeway driving, go into manual mode and up shift to '6' to keep the CVT locked in top gear
    2) don't light foot the gas, always make brisk, but not harsh acceleration to accelerate to the cruising speed quickly, and then easy off gas immediately to get RPM to drop. Idea is to accelerate at the most optimal RPM(3-4k)

I'm going to try these techniques and see if I get some improvements.

It seems that others have already tried driving full manual mode and saw no improvement on MPG, so I won't be trying that either.

I don't know what kind of gas Subaru put into my first tank. Hopefully, not 15% ethanol...those are bad for MPG.
    i'm at about 29+ mpg in my first 90 or so miles. i have found myself watching the ECO gage quite a ib and i think that may be helping my driving habits. at the same time, i'm also trying to accelerate differently to break the car in so i don't think i'm necessarily optimizing for mileage all the time. the only thing i am doing is keeping the speed at 65 mph or below when i'm on the highway (60-65 to be safe).

time will tell. i haven't tried the manual 6 speed trick on the highway but have actually used the paddle shifters a little to give me some higher rpms in town.

try to watch the ECO gauge a little and let us know if that helps tailor your driving a little. i had been driving my wife's prius a bit while waiting for my impreza to arrive so maybe i've changed habits that are suited to better mileage on a CVT....(i drove a 5 spd honda civic prior to the impreza)
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    My first tank was 25 MPG. The second was 27, third 31, all hand calculated. My current tank via the display says 34 MPG, which is probably about 33 based on previous discrepancies.
    edited April 2012
    "My first tank was 25 MPG. The second was 27, third 31, all hand calculated. My current tank via the display says 34 MPG"

I really hope mine will improve like yours.
    BTW, do you live in a cold area? Could the weather be what's helping your mpg? or do you think it's really the break-in that made the improvement?
  • No problem. Here's the one I chose:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Turf-Oil-Extractor-OIL01/dp/B000GU0MMU

There's a lot of options out there, but the one above is a model commonly carried at Yamaha stores for WaveRunner oil changes, and that was my primary reason for buying it in the first place (they can't be drained). After using it for the Yamaha WaveRunners, I started using it to make fluid changes in my cars easier.

What I like about the HT Moto is that the suction tube is metal reinforced so it doesn't collapse under pressure or kink during insertion.
  • Ugh, 15% Ethanol is not good. Old cars and water craft are really going to suffer. Looks like I'll have to be careful about where I fill up if Utah starts adopting 15%. Thanks for the heads-up!
    edited April 2012
    Just for you :P

Here's a picture to help provide some reference:

limited clearance

The pan is dead-center under the drain plug and 4.5" tall. The lowest point of the vehicle at the point, a bottom cover, is 6" from the ground. The drain plug is roughly 25" from the front of the bumper and recessed inside that cutout, making access a little challenging without raising the front end. The drain plug is about 30" from the outside of the driver's wheel, which is roughly center of the vehicle.
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Yes, I live in Minnesota but the temp is only up 10 to 15 degrees since I bought it so I think some of it is actually break-in. I never thought I'd say that. Give it a few tanks before getting frustrated.
    Thx for the detailed reply!

I'll give it a look this weekend.
  • onemodogonemodog Member Posts: 26
    My light comes on with one bar still showing. I figured the light comes on right about the 2 gallon mark. I believe the manual says 2.5 but based on fill ups, I figured 2.
  • jth97381jth97381 Member Posts: 9
    Im looking seriously into getting one of these. I want the Limited trim in either one. I keep going back and forth between the two. It will be for my wife who now drives a AWD Chrysler Pacifica that gets 17 MPG average. She puts on about 2400 miles a month and we live in a very hilly area so Im worried about a lack of power pulling the hills every day. I would appreciate the input of anyone who owns a 2012 Impreza or Legacy. Also, when comparing the two, is there much noticeable difference in how spacious the interior feels? What is your biggest complaint of owning this car?

Thanks, Jason
  • wimchattawimchatta Member Posts: 28
    Hi zman3,

Can you elaborate on how you drive, what kind of traffic, and has that pattern been steady for the first few tanks?

Also what are the restrictions for driving during the break-in period, and how long does that last? Am getting a Premium, to be delivered within the next week. I have a lead foot syndrome upto speed limit, am worried about causing damage to the powertrain.
    Re: hills. Can you take it for a test drive on similar terrain? I'd say that would give you the most definitive answer.

No real complaints: but only had car for four days.
  • larry1135larry1135 Member Posts: 43
    Comes to $320.00 over dealer cost. :D :shades:
    thanks again...i quickly felt underneath this morning before heading out to shop and i think i felt the drain plug. if i got it right, it must be shooting off to the side when it comes out (driver's side).

do you know what the other "hatch door" is for closer to the bumper, almost centered on the car? i almost thought that was it, but when i opened it up and felt around, i didn't feel anything like a drain plug. :)

you're right: i think i would want to get ramps or a jack at least for one oil change so i have a better idea what's underneath there. afterwards, i think i could pretty confidently unscrew the drain plug and fit a pan under there (i didn't try shoving my pan under there, so i'd of course check first. :)
  • jth97381jth97381 Member Posts: 9
    Thats a good idea. I will see if there is any type of hilly highway near the dealership. I might be a little biased though when I drive a Dodge Ram with a Hemi everyday for work so I dont even notice hills. The more the insight the better. Did you choose the Impereza over the Legacy for a certain reason? Price? Gas mileage? Style? Thanks
  • do you know what the other "hatch door" is for closer to the bumper, almost centered on the car?

I haven't yet opened that door so I'm not totally positive. Perhaps for draining the radiator? Typically those drain locations on the radiator lower corner, so the access door would be oriented to one side of the car or another, but I suppose it's possible. I'll have to take a look later.
    edited April 2012
    If you're talking about the 4 cylinder Legacy, then power is going to be similar. Yes, the 2.5 has more hp and torque, but it's also pulling more weight. Acceleration is similar. I've driven the Outback/Legacy and own the Impreza. Neither are under powered for hilly terrain provided you're driving with normal loads. A vehicle packed with people and cargo is going to feel more strained. Now the 6 cylinder, on the other hand, is another discussion altogether.

Both have plenty of space for four 6-foot adults without adjusting front seats.

They handle differently, though, so your wife should drive each to gain an understanding of where her preferences are and how each matches up. Personally I prefer lightweight tossable cars, so the Impreza is better match. I could afford much more car, but economics were just one consideration, and I'm one of those that appreciates the trend towards high quality small cars like the Impreza.