Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Mazda 5 Vibrating seats

chescachesca Member Posts: 4
At 60-65 mph, the middle row starts shaking severely. It will 'relax' outside of that general range. The mechanic drove four cars from the lot. He could not find a cause. Has anyone had that experience?? Know of the cause?

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    With F/awd that would likely mean a driveline U-joint needle bearing failure. Otherwise maybe a rear wheel/tire out of balance.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,935
    the mazda5 doesn't come with AWD.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited May 2011
    does this happen on all roads and in all conditions?

If so, then, yes, it could be a wheel out of balance. The reason that it happens at a certain speed is because that is the resonance sweet spot.

Obviously, if the dealer can't fix it, it is a lemon and they will need to make it right by buying it back. If they resist, then contact a lawyer.

Before all that, though, if they can't readily identify the problem, I would suggest to them that they replace all the wheels with a set from a car on the lot that doesn't vibrate. It is a quick and easy test that will either work or point them in another direction (next would be seeing if any rotors are warped or out of balance).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• chescachesca Member Posts: 4
    The mechanic didn't know what the problem was even after re-balancing the tires. I think it's something from the manufacturer. I drove several cars-- some with only 7 and 10 miles on it. Brand new cars. I can't believe these 2012 haven't been recalled. All the Consumer Reports just love this car. I did too until I saw this.
    I really wanted to buy it so I was looking to see if this was something consistent or random.
    At this point I should rule out this car. Don't you think???
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Front to rear wheel/tire swap..?

Tire belts are known to slip during manufacture, balance is fine by the tire "wants" to go sideways.
    oh, wait. Are you saying all the cars on the lot did the same thing? That's very weird.

Exactly. These were all brand new cars off the lot. The salesman drove them too. I would imagine this should be a RECALL...right?
    I walked away completely from the deal and salesman said he would have too.
    I really wanted to buy the car and was astonished that this has gone on unnoticed.
    Was hoping there was a simple fix but now I am thinking it's a major thing from the factory. I want people to learn about this. I told the salesman I would do some research but am finding nothing about this issue. How can that be???
    Do you own a Mazda 5?
    I sent this to the salesman. I believe that the mechanic looked at this issue but... thanks for your posts.
    edited May 2011
    We had an '09, but recently traded it.

If this was a defect in all 2012 models, I would think the published reviews would comment on it. I wonder if that dealer's shipper didn't do something wrong. I have read about tires/wheels being damaged when tied down too tight in shipping. Just a wild guess on my part.

• silver5_12silver5_12 Member Posts: 1
    Just saw this looking for info on racks. I have the 2012 5. No problem here. Actually surprised how smooth it is, considering its a budget 4 banger.
  • allamcallamc Member Posts: 1
    Mdid the problem got fix?
  • pburnpburn Member Posts: 2
    I had 25,000 miles on my 2012 Mazda 5 when a Mazda dealer finally found a reason for excess vibrations on stopping my car and wobbling on turns. The front rotors were out of round so they were ground down. I would not expect nor have I ever seen rotors wear down before years of service. The dealer said he has seen similar problems and would not replace the rotors. The car is under warranty. Has anyone else had this problem? I think the rotors are obviously defective and should be replaced because the problem can only get worse.
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    Brake rotors are a normal wear item and "warpage" is actually quite normal depending on driving habits and environment. Before owning Mazdas I owned Hondas and 25k miles sounds about right for front brake pad replacement and/or rotor re-surfacing which is NOT a warranty issue.
  • pburnpburn Member Posts: 2
    Rotors are a normal maintenance item usually after years of wear. I complained to Mazda about wobbly tires at my first oil change. Unfortunately I did not follow up with an independent repair person to find the actual problem. Mazda, thenceforth, said they didn't see a problem and somehow smoothed out the ride for a while after each complaint. The rotors were defective from the start so that is not normal wear.
    The car talk forum talks about seats shaking in a Mazda 5's and that can be caused by rotors also. Vibrating seats in other comments in this forum in 2012 cars, the same as mine, can be caused by rotors.
    There are cheaper parts in cars and I understand that. But, those outliers on the edge of specs deserve consideration. I think good customer relations would take reputation into account and have the rotors replaced in the few cars that exhibit these symptoms.
    Is it just a few? The reason for the balk may be to not open a flood.
    Personally, I consider it a good car and had three of them with no other problems. I think keeping the customer happy should be job one.
    I appreciate the input.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I've never owned a car that required new rotors after only 25K miles.
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    I did...or shortly there after at 30K. My wife's old 2004 Ford Escape which actually are non-serviceable and must be replaced along side of pads. No BS either because I work for a dealership and I get all my work done here since it is cheap for me. I actually went out and the tech which is also my friend and co-worker showed me the spec measurement that its stamped on the rotor and then he measured them in front of me with his caliper.