Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

528i with Run Flat tires

el168el168 Member Posts: 9
edited October 2014 in BMW
I had to refill my runflat tires 2x since getting this car, have only 1500 miles on it.

Is this normal for Run Flats?, this is my first time owning this type of tire

Comments

• james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    It's not a characteristic of run-flat tires. You may have a rim bead leak, or a valve leak. The valve cover is more than just a dust cover, and good ones will help the Schrader valve from leaking. Worst case, you could have a porous wheel - a bad casting.
  • el168el168 Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2011
    I'm thinking of switching to a normal tire instead of run-flats when they wear out, does anyone have opinion?

The i-drive system must be very sensitive to tire pressure changes with the run-flats
    While there are some products you can put in the tire to give you some of the benefits of a run-flat, they can ruin the pressure sensor, and then, when it reports low pressure, it will do all sorts of things, one of which is limit the power to the engine. Otherwise, unless you want to fill the trunk and buy the optional jack and tire wrench, if you have a flat, you're stuck with waiting for a service truck to bail you out...not a pleasant thought.
  • tutuvabenetutuvabene Member Posts: 3
    Limit power to the engine? Can this feature be turned off?
    Depends on the model and the software...I don't know. I remember reading something in the user's manual, but don't remember the details. But, keep in mind that if the car was designed for run-flats, and if it detects (or thinks it does) that you have a flat tire, for safety, you should't be accellerating hard or traveling at high speeds. Plus, there's a limit on how far you're supposed to drive on a flat. I got the impression that that info is in the computer...protecting you from yourself. Ever been in a car where the tire shreaded? Nasty...without pressure, the tire can spin on the wheel, and without air pressure, it flexes more which creates heat. To much, and things break down.
This discussion has been closed.