Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Hyundai Elantra

telephonytelephony Member Posts: 8
Hyundai Motor America is pleased to announce the release of the 2012MY Hyundai Elantra. The 2012MY Elantra is rated among the highest in residual value according to ALG, continuing its strong resale performance from the 2011MY when it won the ALG Residual Value Award for the Compact Car segment. The Elantra also continues to deliver 40 MPG highway standard; no other competitor offers 40 MPG highway for all trim levels. Elantra also delivers “class-above” interior roominess. Elantra is categorized by the EPA as a mid-size car rather than a compact car like Civic or Corolla. With 40 MPG highway, “class-above” interior roominess, and a starting price of $15,195, the 2012MY Elantra delivers exceptional value.
Fuel economy is the most important purchase reason for the compact segment, especially with gas prices exceeding $4 per gallon in many areas of the U.S. To deliver better fuel economy, all 2012 Elantra automatic transmissions are equipped with an Active Eco System to improve real world fuel economy. The Active Eco System modifies engine and transmission control for improved fuel economy by smoothing out throttle responses. By selecting the Active Eco button, drivers can realize up to a seven percent increase in real-world fuel economy.
NEW EQUIPMENT HIGHLIGHTS FOR 2012MY
• Active Eco System is standard on all Elantra automatic transmissions to improve
real world fuel economy up to 7%
• Front fog lights added to the GLS Preferred Package to enhance the front
exterior appearance
• The GLS Preferred model adds a passenger side sunvisor extension to complement the
driver side
• The Limited badge was redesigned for better visibility
• The horn sound was improved to sound more prominent on all trim levels
Standard and Optional Features
GLS Manual Transmission
The Elantra GLS M/T MSRP is priced at $15,195, excluding $760 freight, and includes the following standard features:
1.8L Nu MPI 4-cylinder engine
6-speed manual transmission
15-inch steel wheels with full wheel covers and P195/65R15 tires
Motor Driven Power Steering (MDPS)
Advanced dual front airbags with Occupant Classification System (OCS), front seat-mounted side-impact airbags, and roof-mounted side-curtain airbags
Vehicle Stability Management (VSM), Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and Traction Control System (TCS)
Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Brake Assist, Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD), 4-wheel disc brakes, and Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Adjustable head restraints for all seating positions
Daytime running lights
AM/FM/XM® Satellite Radio/CD/MP3 audio system with 6 speakers and iPod®/USB auxiliary input jacks
A/C prep package
Trip computer =i>Power windows with driver’s auto-down, power door locks, dual heated power outside mirrors, and remote keyless entry system with alarm
Tilt steering wheel
Front 2-speed intermittent wipers
Map lights with sunglass holder, dome lamp and cargo area light
6-way adjustable driver’s seat including height adjustment
Front passenger seatback pocket, front and rear door map pockets
Center console with storage compartment and armrest
Lower multi-box with cover
60/40 split fold-down rear seatback & rear center armrest with cupholders
Tinted glass
Bodycolor door handles and mirrors
Rear defroster
Trunk lid inner cover
GLS M/T Options:
GLS Comfort Package – M/T only ($1,250 MSRP):
Air conditioning
Cruise control
Telescopic steering wheel
Solar glass
Windshield shade band
16-inch steel wheels with full wheel covers and P205/55R16 tires
GLS Automatic Transmission
The Elantra GLS A/T MSRP is priced at $17,445, excluding $760 freight, and includes the GLS manual transmission content plus the following:
6-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC®
Active Eco System
16-inch steel wheels with full wheel covers and P205/55R16 tires
Air conditioning
Cruise control
Telescopic steering wheel
Solar glass
Windshield shade band
GLS A/T Options:
GLS Preferred Package – A/T only ($600 MSRP):
16-inch alloy wheels
Steering wheel audio controls
Bluetooth® hands-free phone system with Voice Recognition
Fog lights
Cloth insert door trim
Sliding center armrest
Illuminated vanity mirrors with extensions
Illuminated ignition

Limited
Limited with standard 6-speed automatic starts at $20,445, excluding $760 freight, and includes all the GLS Preferred Package plus the following:
17-inch alloy wheels with P215/45R17 tires
Power tilt-and-slide sunroof
One touch up drivers window
Leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
Leather seating surfaces
Heated front and rear seats
Black chrome grille
Side repeater mirrors
Limited badge =ul>

Limited Options
Technology Package ($2,100 MSRP):
Navigation system with 7-inch screen
Rearview camera
360-watt premium audio with external amplifier
Automatic headlamps
Proximity key entry with electronic
push button start =i>Immobilizer
Model
Code Model Engine Transmission MSRP
-------- --------------- ------------ -------------------------- --------
45413F45 Elantra GLS 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-Speed M/T $15,195
45412F45 Elantra GLS 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-Speed A/T w/ SHIFTRONIC® $17,445
45412F4P Elantra GLS 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-Speed A/T w/ SHIFTRONIC® $17,445
45442F45 Elantra Limited 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-Speed A/T w/ SHIFTRONIC® $20,445
45442F4P Elantra Limited 1.8L 4-cyl. 6-Speed A/T w/ SHIFTRONIC® $20,445
-------- --------------- ------------ -------------------------- --------
Model codes ending in “P” indicate PZEV model

Comments

• sivicmansivicman Member Posts: 32
    The wife and I test drove the new 2011 GLS and were very impressed. The dealer didn't even know that it didn't have a direct-injected motor. I told them that I would wait till that was offered before I would do anything, so I'm glad it's going to be available this fall. I did not like the fact that it had NO spare tire. The wife's lease on her '09 Civic isn't up till November anyway. The new Civic doesn't have a direct-injected motor either. I wish I could buy one of those 65 mpg Civic diesels that's offered worldwide.
  • peace5419peace5419 Member Posts: 6
    Do you know when the 2012 are to be released? Hyundai customer service told me that the 2011s are still be made.
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    The 2012 doesn't have a direct injected motor. The 2011 Elantra just came out with a completely new engine. Don't expect to see direct injection for at least 2 years, if not longer.

What was described in the article above was an ActiveEco system, which is simply a computer program that optimizes fuel economy by tuning the tranny to shift up as quickly as possible and stay in higher gears longer and better integrates throttle control with the tranny and engine control computers.
    I realize the article makes no mention of a direct-injected motor, but according to several reports on the internet that it was to get the new 1.6L Gamma GDI engine. I sure hope that is Hyundai's intention.
    The 1.6 Gamma GDI is for the Accent and the Veloster. It is not going in the Elantra. Hyundai would not share an engine between the Accent and Elantra. Why do you require a GDI engine? The 1.6 GDI is rated at 30/40 city/highway whereas the 1.8 non-GDI is rated at 29/40, hardly a difference worth worrying about. Hyundai designed the 1.8 Nu engine in the Elantra to have DI but at a later date as fuel economy standards continue to tighten.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That is something I scratch my head about: the larger, heavier, more powerful Elantra gets almost exactly the same FE as the smaller, lighter Accent with its smaller, less-powerful GDI engine.

Something is not right here...
    It's not that I require a GDI engine, I would just like to have the latest technology since that seems to be the way the auto mfg's are going. I would think you would get better mpg's with DI vs. multiport injection any day or the car mfg's would not be going in that direction. The 1.6L is putting out 138 hp vs. 148 hp with the 1.8L. I realize they both claim 40 mpg hwy., but what do they really get? I was watching the video on Youtube on the new Gamma 1.6L and it really seems like a well engineered motor. I've always been a avid Honda owner and my 2007 Civic coupe automatic was rated at 30/40 and the best I could get out of it was 33 mpg. and my wife has the exact match but a 2009 and she can't get no better than 32 mpg. So until Honda changes their engine technology to GDI I think I'm going to be switching brands.
    That 30/40 rating must have been before the EPA revamped how they rate fuel economy because the 2011 Civic coupe with automatic is rated at 25/36 and there is nothing different about the 2011 from your 07. Taking that into account, your gas mileage looks closer to normal. My 2010 Accent is rated at 27/36. I've never been able to get higher than 33. I don't think having a GDI engine will change our inability to achieve mileage at the top end if we continue driving at speeds in excess of 65. The only times I've heard owners achieving the magical 36 and above mileage on the Accent is by going a steady 60-65 mph on the highway and I simply don't have the patience for that.

GDI does improve mileage but it's main claim to fame is better power. Prime example is the 1.6 in the Accent. 2011 model was rated at 110 hp and 106 lb ft of torque. 2012 is rated at 138 hp and 123 lb ft, which are significant power gains without resorting to turbos. And yet it's mileage is no better than the larger non GDI 1.8 in the Elantra. I have a feeling they could have come out with a 1.6 version of the Nu engine and it would have the same mileage as the Gamma GDI, but the higher hp figures for the GDI engine is so enticing and sounds better on paper.
  • phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    In regards to the Elantra 1.8 L Nu non GDI engine and your (feeling) that Hyundai may eventually convert that same engine sometime in the future to comply with required fuel economy standards, why wait? I`m very disappointed that Ford did not incorporate GDI in their new Ford Fiesta, but that said, your right. It would have minimal effect on fuel economy as my Fiesta already gets 34 mpg city and 41 mpg highway (without) the SPE package at 75 mph highway speed. The added performance though would have been gained by the GDI but at added cost to the manufacturer which of course would be then be passed on to the consumer. I think that the Hyundai Elantra is a much better value and will have much better resale value then its new sibling the 2012 Hyundai Accent. I too wish that the Elantra had the GDI like the Accent has with its 1.6 L engine.
  • hhr06hhr06 Member Posts: 47
    i have an 2011 elantra with a little over 3000 miles and have yet to see 40mpg hiway best i can get is 35 mpg BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ON THE 40
  • mataln97499mataln97499 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2012 Elantra 6 sp manual yesterday. So far the dash says I'm getting 45 MPG. Guess we'll see what it really is when we refuel today. Of course with the wife driving I'll probably see around 25 or so.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    The feedback that we're getting from our customers is that using the cruise control makes a HUGE difference.
  • sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    Yep, you are correct...the cruise control does in fact make a huge difference. I got my 2011 Elantra three months ago, and I had a hard time seeing the 29 MPG city. But then about a month ago, I started using the cruise control ALL the time. I mean...ALL the time. My MPG went way up, and now it's about 28-30 city. Last weekend, I drove about 2 1/2 hours away to visit my folks, and my average speed on the highway was 70-75. Sure enough, I got 40 MPG...it even went up to 41! On my way home, I drove about 80MPH, and I averaged about 36-38 MPG.
  • frankbailiefrankbailie Member Posts: 26
    I have an 2012 elantra gls. Is there a blinking light on the dash cluster to indicate the anti theft system is armed?
  • frankbailiefrankbailie Member Posts: 26
    I just returned from London,Ontario from Cowansville, Quebec. Round trip was 1750 kilometers. I tried to drive most of the time on cruise at about 110 kilometers an hour. My fuel consumption was 6.4 litres per 100 kilometers. This translates to 44 mpg using the canadian imperial gallon. I was happy with this as my car was only one week old a the beginning of the trip and only had 300 kilometers on the odometer.
  • svensmorsvensmor Member Posts: 7
    2012 elantra mt 480 miles on odo.first tank of fuel averaged 39.83 miles per gallon.These are real calculations not on board computer calculated. The first tank had only about 60 miles hwy.On the highway i was getting between 48 and 49 with hills.Granted these hwy miles were done alternating between 60 and 62 miles an hour as to break the car in and not maintain a constant speed for too long as recommended by the manual for the first 600 miles.
    So far this car has been a commuter and that is where my mpg experience has been garnered thus far.My commute is 34 miles round trip it is 11 miles rural 4 miles suburban and 2 miles city with NO HWY.
    almost every day are 2/3 mile shopping or appointment side trips around town on the way home.At the beginning of my drive every morning i reset my trip cmptr and then check it when i get home.my lowest average mpg was 39.4 and my highest was 44.1.I have been driving thus far according to hyundais breaking in suggestions i.e. vary speeds keep the rpms between 2000 and 4000 and i have not been using the cruise.Once the break in period is complete i will cruise at a lower rpm and use cruise.I am accelerating slowly shifting when prompted and looking ahead to time lights.I hope these real world numbers can put to bed the high mpg non believers and i expect these numbers to improve once the break in period is complete.
    Am I understanding correctly that you already traded in your 2010?? Did you just like the 2011 that much or had no confidence in your 2010 after the tranny issue? Did you get a decent deal? I'd also like to trade up from my 2010 Accent to either a 2012 Accent or Elantra, but doubt I can afford the switch.
    Yep, you are understanding correctly! :) I got my 2011 Elantra on March 25th! The tranny issue was fixed and everything was working great. The bottom line is, I just absolutely loved the 2011. I had never traded in a car that early before, so I wasn't sure, but I did get a great deal. My payments only went up about $50. In February I quit smoking, and I was saving about $120 a month so I figured I'd buy the car as a reward to myself. :)
    Congrats! The new elantra is really a sweet car. My best friend also just purchased a 12 Elantra and he let me drive it. I positively love the shift quality of the new 6 speed auto! Leaps and bounds better than the old 4 speed. I would love to get one myself, but alas, I need a better paying job to be able to get one :cry:
  • meepmeepmeepmeep Member Posts: 4
    I don't think there is a blinking l.e.d. w/the alarm system on the 2011-12 model. The salespeople couldn't answer that question for me though when I put $ down on a 2012 gls in the color I want - since there are no models on the lot and they sell before they arrive. Since I park on the street in an urban area I have put aside $ to have an aftermarket system (viper) installed once I take possession of the car. The blinky light absolutely deters break-ins in my neighborhood. I hope this helps.
  • gunther2gunther2 Member Posts: 5
    I read the 2011 Elantra did not have a spare tire. I can't find anything on line if the 2012 has one or if its an option. Does anyone know?
    edited August 2011
    the 2012 does not have a apare tire it has a place for one but instead of a tire there is an air compressor that hooks int the cigarette styl power outlet and a can of fix a flat.there is no option for a tire from hyundai you would have to purchase one from a third party
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Other cars are adopting the practice. The Chevy Cruze, for instance, also doesn't include a spare though Chevy will sell you one for $100.

I understand the desire to shave cost & weight but IMO this is a bad move for customers. Not all flats can be temporarily patched via fix-a-flat; motorists will wind up stranded.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    I totally agree I would rather have the tire with me than get one more mile per gallon. Does the Elantra come with a jack? I currently have a Honda civic, would you know if I kept the tire and jack would it be universal on the Elantra?
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Sorry, I wouldn't know. But if the tires are the same size (diameter; width shouldn't matter) and have the same # of lug nuts then it'd probably work. Heck, donut tires often have a slightly smaller diameter than the regular tires so many even that doesn't matter.

Chevy is reporting that ditching the spare in the Cruze saves 26 pounds ( http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jun/20/business/la-fi-autos-spare-tires-2011062- 0 ) and the same article says Hyundai is saving $22/vehicle (which is interesting since the spare on the Cruze is a $100 accessory .. profit margin much there, Chevy?)

So 26 pounds on a 3000-ish pound car is under 1%. So ditching the spare probably nets no more than 0.2-0.3MPG. Not bad but not significant & other things like driving style will have far greater impact. And the weight savings will impact city MPG more than highway since weight is more of a factor in acceleration v. cruising (where aerodynamics matter more).

Here are 100 tips for better fuel economy: http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermiling-driving-tips-ecodriving.php
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    does not come with a jack dont let this deter you though my 2012 elantra 6 speed manual now has 1500 miles on it and i love it.it is a fantastic car and i am getting spectacular gas mileage.5 tanks of gas so far and my mpg average is 41 with less than 200 hwy miles
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    sarah: congrats on the smoking exit. best move you can make for your overall health! I agree that the new Elantra is worth the effort. My only quandry is the Elantra vs. the Sonata.
    Enjoy the new Elantra.
  • sunnysunsetsunnysunset Member Posts: 9
    I just came from dealer, they had 2 elantras, both were sold before they come on lot !!
    Guess the dealer does not come down on price ??
    Is the US economy that good ??

Any feedback what can I expect to pay for 2012 Elantra Gls ??

i did not know that they do not give spare tire...we decided not to buy the 328 BMW because the car did not come with any spare.... i wud be very concerned when driving long distance .... Shame to save $25 they will someday put 1 life in danger...
  • sibersiber Member Posts: 1
    I sent out quote requests to 15 Hyundai dealers in the midwest. Every reply except for one was either that none were in stock or that the price was msrp. One reply asked me to come on down and said that I could have $200 off any Elantra on the lot. I checked their website inventory and they had 0 in stock.

I won't pay MSRP on principle even though I think it's a fair price for this car and I know that at this time none of these cars will go unsold.

I think the spare tire being gone is more about Hyundai pushing for the 40mpg hwy rating than it is the cost. I mean there is tons of value in this car and they could have cut costs in alot of areas if that was the goal. My intention, should I purchase an Elantra, is to buy 4 snow tires and toss them on some steel wheels. I'll toss one in the trunk to use as a spare. I'd be much more annoyed if they didn't leave a space to store a spare.
    Hey, thank you very much! It's been a struggle but for the most part I've got it beat. Every time I start to have a craving I look outside at my beautiful red Elantra and say, "If you smoke you won't be able to afford that car." The craving then is immediately gone. LOL!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Same at the dealership where I work... MSRP, we don't discount them.

On the other hand, a GLS' MSRP is about $400 over invoice in our market.
    I have talked to two fleet dealers and they are on the look out for the color and package I want. Neither will deal outside the MSRP. My brother in law wants me to wait because of the same principle don't pay MSRP he also mentioned don't be the first to buy off the line. Someone on this site said there is a place for a spare. Don't think I won't be looking when buy, with my Honda donut under my arm lol!
    A local dealer in Winter Park (Orlando suburb), Fl sells their Elantras for $250-300 off MSRP. Not much of a discount but it means there are dealers out there selling this popular model below MSRP.
  • doggydaddy1doggydaddy1 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone interested in an Elantra in most markets need to resign themselves to the fact that discounts will be few and far between. I got $250 off my 2012 Limited....after helping a friend purchase an Accent two weeks earlier. The Elantras are sold almost as quickly as they arrive at the dealerships. Considering the bang for the buck, MSRP is not a bad deal. If you want to deal, look at a Mazda 3 that will be mildly redone for 2012.

As far as the spare tire is concerned my last two vehicles lacked one and it was no big deal. My 2010 Mini Cooper didn't have one nor did my 2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid. Why do you think you get free roadside service from most manufacturers?
  • mcribmcrib Member Posts: 19
    I understand the market maybe hard for car buyers but I will not give up pursuit for a Elantra at near invoice or bellow pricing. MSRP yeah right! :P

So I live in South FL and best quote for me so far is:

2012 Elantra GLS Pckg 3 Saling Price$18,390 +6% tax,$275 transfer,and fees Out The Door $20,772

Vehicle Description:
    Added Features:
    *This vehicle is certified to all 50 states
    *Preferred Equipment Package: 16" Alloy Wheels Steering Wheel Audio Controls Bluetooth® Hands-Free Phone S Cloth Insert Door Trim Sliding Center Armrest Illuminated Vanity Mirrors wi Illuminated Ignition Front Foglights
    *Carpeted Floor Mats
    *Cargo Tray

At Potankin Hyundai in Miami Lakes and I won't bite yet. ;)

I live in Broward where we have a lesser tax rate 6% vs Miami's 7%
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Live right across from Coconut Creek Hyundai and their prices are a bit outrageous also. Since we now have plenty of time to wait, thinking a 2013 model will work for us. I still see that light brownish GLS model with the bolt on wheel covers still sitting in the back...guess most folks are wanting the alloy wheel package...it is a good value with the nice looking alloys! But we have time on our side, so can wait...with the refresh due on the 2014 model, might just be the ticket!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• duddud Member Posts: 91
    I commend you. Paying anything near MSRP for a hyundai is crazy.
  • highway12highway12 Member Posts: 2
    Is there a difference in performance and mileage between the Elantra with the PZEV option and the non-PZEV model ? Should there be a price difference when shopping?

Thank you.
  • doorgunner1doorgunner1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a one week old Elantra Limited.
    With the NAV package.... Great. Toys, with
    The phone and
    NAV pacakage...A much quietier ride
    Too!

It. Too has no spare tire, no more
    donut tire,,,it has a box to do
    A fix to a simple puncture. And a
    Box with goo pump to fix a simple flat.

Kit that pumps
    Goo in to in to the tire.
    I also have the option of calling a tow truck.Paid by them,

I was told I could optionally buy the donuts or real tire.

That all said, I am much more interested in following the group's experiences on getting the promised mileage!!!
    :confuse:

Is there a specific thread I should be reading??

Thanks..Paul
  • tacomaroxtacomarox Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    Picked up a new Elantra Limited with Tech Package on Saturday - $22,560, from Robert Larson Hyundai in Tacoma, Washington. Sky Blue was not my first choice (really wanted Bronze), but settled for the blue. Plan on trading up to a Genesis in a couple of years.
    I finally got my new Limited 2012 Elantra in September. I have not gotten anywhere near the 40 mpg. I keep it in Eco mode and intentionally do not floor it. I get 32 with normal highway/city driving. I have not taken it on a trip that I am on the highway for more than 30 minutes. I have read keep it on cruise everywhere even in the city. Living in one of the largest cities in South Florida, that is almost impossible. With that being said...I love it and can't wait to leave work everyday just to drive it!
  • g2iowag2iowa Member Posts: 123
    Here in midwest Hyundai dealers seem to have few '12 Elantras. Took me 3 months to work out a deal with my local dealer, who got the car I ended up with from another Hyundai dealer 150 miles away. Some weeks they had no Elantras. Most of the time each Elantra that arrived had been pre-sold. Had to give them $500 down just to reserve the one I ended up with and I didn't know exactly how it was equipped until I saw her on their lot. She has everything a GLS can have (Preferred Pkg, auto monochromatic mirror, mats, cargo net) except Nav system. They wouldn't budge from MSRP. And gave me NADA book on my trade. The Honda dealer across the street was discounting his Civics and offered nearly double in trade allowance but the car wasn't nearly as well equipped at the LX level and Hyunda's warranty with Roadside Assistance is so much better. You just get more car for less money. I'll be checking fuel economy but most miles will be city so I'm realistic. I'll be happy with high 20s around town due to stop lights, etc. I really love the 2-tone interior look with the beige seats and black floor. While the sky blue exterior isn't my favorite, beggars couldn't be choosy (esp. since I wouldn't go with black, white, red, or dark blue). Just 4 gripes: you can't get a power driver seat, you can't get heated seats in the GLS, they use the cheap intruding trunk hinges, and the key goes into the steering column instead of the dashboard. But she is roomy, comfortable, inexpensive, and very stylish.
    Forgot to mention that with '12 Elantras so hard to find around my area that the dealers don't mind engaging in raw profit markups. I specifically asked my dealership NOT to add any paint sealant, cloth protectant, mud flaps, pin strips, or anything else I'd seen on other cars on their lot. But when I get the car, the dealer charged me $385 for worthless paint sealant and $85 for cheesy mud flaps. When I brought up the issue, their view was: Take it or leave it, and if you don' t take it, we have a dozen people line up to buy it." The paint sealant really ticks me off because I can't get any info on exactly what it supposedly is or does. No paperwork. No guarantee of anything. No warranty protection. Just a cost. Would not surprise me at if all they did was spray the car with water or wave a magic wand over it, called it sealant, and charged me $385.
  • mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    As far as I know, Nav is N/A on the 2012 GLS's. I hve a 2011 GLS with Nav., otherwise yours is identical to mine. I live in a rural area, had mine for 6 month's an get 34-35 combined. I don't get on the interstates that much.
  • eadmuneadmun Member Posts: 1
    mine is not with a factory nav, but I installed an after market nav system from here, http://www.cars-electronics.com/2012-hyundai-elantra-navigation-dvd-gps-nav-syst- em_p1464.html
    I went loaded GLS over Limited because I didn't need or want leather seats and sunroof. I much prefer cloth seats, which are more comfortable in both summer and winter. I didn't want or need Nav system, which is an option in GLS. Do wish I could've gotten heated front seats in GLS, but you can't, though having heated back seats in Limited seems unnecessary for most people. Is most odd that you can't even get a power seat in the Limited. Going GLS saved about $4,000 over the Limited and got me all I wanted that I could get and left off all the stuff I didn't want.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2011
    A reporter is interested in talking with parents who own a 2011 or 2012 Kia Optima, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus, Honda Fit, Honda Odyssey, Mazda 5, Subaru Outback, Dodge Durango, or Toyota Sienna. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks!
  • lestradelestrade Member Posts: 10
    i have a 2012 Elantra Limited. going over some bumps the rear end seems to drift out. Wondering if it has anything to do with 17" alloys or just a poor rear suspension? Anyone else having the sme experience?
    Questions about ride quality are so subjective. Combination of car's suspension and tires. You should read what reviewers have said about it. Per Automobile magazine, "The Elantra rides decently but the suspension is easily the least solid of these six cars over rough roads. It's clunky at lower speeds..." But as Car & Driver said, "It has a very smooth ride without being sloppily floppy in normal use. However, the Hyundai's softness become a problem in spirited driving, when the car exhibits a bit more flex and does a poorer job filtering out road imperfections than the rest of the [5-car] group." Or Consumer Reports: " The Elantra absorbs road bumps, with good isolation, except for the rare jiggle. The highway ride is steady."
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I know C/D tested the Limited with the 17" wheels, but what did CR test?