Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• kate007124kate007124 Member Posts: 6
    Posting this message out of much and disappointment and frustration....

In July, I traded my 2009 Mitsbushi Eclipse for a 2012 Hyundai Elantra. The decision to trade-in my eclipse was for the soul fact that the car was not getting the ideal gas milage (~24 mpg out of EPA range of 20-28 mpg) for my long (all highway) commute to work and back. After much research, I decided to purchase the Elantra due to its (claimed) great gas milage, features, and price versus that of the competitors. BIG MISTAKE!

After owning the vehicle for a little over a month and putting 2000 miles on it, I notice the vehicle was averaging about 26 mpg on each tank. After contacting the dealership about my concerns, I was told to wait till my first oil change to reflect the change in gas milage. The first oil change came and I did notice an improvement in my gas milage between 2-3 miles, put definitely nothing in the CLAIMED 29-39 range. I decided to contact Hyundai about my concerns regarding in which I was told to wait till the car was broken in at about 5000-6000 miles.

After 6000 miles I was still averaging about 27 mpg. I, again, contacted Hyundai customer service about my concern. Their response was to do have a fuel MPG test and to have the vehicle inspected by a local dealership. The fuel MPG test, released by Hyundai, requires you to have record the miles traveled and amount of fuel used five times while going to the same gas station and using the same pump. Again, I was still consistently getting between 25-27 mpg. I had the dealership, also, inspect the vehicle for any issues and run a diagnostic test for any issues--- none were found. All this information was then faxed over to Hyundai customer service.

So... I just got off the phone with Hyundai customer serivce and they are saying that the car is in working order and there is nothing they can do to assist me.

So why am I getting such poor gas milage that isnt even in the working range of the EPA estimates? I have tried every recommended way to enhance mpg and nothing seems to improve it. I was getting decent gas milage (in the EPA range) for my Eclipse so I really dont think it is in my driving style.

I see that forum that others are having the same problem. I dont see how so many people are driving this vehicle 'wrong' .

I am so disappointed in my purchase and wish I would have gone with a competitor that lives up to its ratings. Hyundai is doing nothing but false advertising this vehicle. I hope to see a class action lawsuit in the future.

If you are thinking about buying a 2012 Elantra and want great gas milage... DONT!
  • mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    Wow, talk about trying to get a point across, you whining an crying in 3 different forums. Besides only looking at the BIG 29 city / 40 hwy ( this is just a estimate, not written in stone), did you even bother reading the fine print under it. You also didn't state what kind of driving you do, like mostly city, stop an go, rush hour traffic, etc.,there are alot of things that affect mileage, plus if are you using winter gas, what i call watered down gas, Arco calls it airated, has little air molicules in it. lol. This can also lower mileage, but I know, you been driving for a very long time an you, don't do, jack rabbit starts, speed, or anything like that. I don't have a 2012, but I do have a 2011 Elantra, an it gets what it says it will.
  • sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    Well said. I also have a 2011 Elantra, and I cannot for the life of me understand some of these people. Enough with the whining. As I said in another thread, if you hate the car that much, trade it in for something else.

I am also not buying the "I only get 22 MPG's (or whatever ridiculous number they come up with). That is simply not going to happen with the new Elantra's. It's NOT the car...it's the way the driver is DRIVING the car. Or, if the person is in traffic constantly (car idles all the time) or is in stop and go traffic. Obviously, you won't get the 29 city. It's common sense. I certainly don't get the 29/40 all the time but who cares? It still has fantastic gas mileage and it's an awesome car. I love it and I am thrilled with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to go with Hyundai again. Heck, I already did...my old 2010 Elantra's transmission failed on me after two months of purchase. After six months, I decided to upgrade to the 2011 and I am ecstatic about my decision.
  • g2iowag2iowa Member Posts: 123
    Both Automobile and Car & Driver tested Limiteds. Consumer Reports tested a GLS with Pref Equip Pkg. All three tested automatic transmission. (Forget which one Motor Trend tested.) The primary ride-related difference between GLS and Limited with AT would be the change in tire size, going from 16" to 17" and getting standard alloy wheels; however, I don't think there are any changes in the suspension set up between the two. The Limited tire/wheel combination likely a bit heavier in regard to unsprung suspension weight than the 16" steel (w/AT) or 16" alloy (w/AT and Pref Equip Pkg). I don't know if anyone has tested a base GLS with manual transmission that comes with 15" tires and steel wheels.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited November 2011
    I don't know if you can get a 6MT with 15" wheels anymore. I recently did a Build Your Own on hyundaiusa.com for the 6MT and it seems to come with a non-optional options package (at $0 listed cost) that includes AC, 16" wheels with covers, and a few other features. I think that is a smart by Hyundai... who in this day and age buys a car w/o AC? Even with that non-optional options package the MSRP including destination was $17,300, which I thought was pretty reasonable. It has all the key equipment I need. Doesn't have Bluetooth but I can live w/o that as I use a headset if I have to talk on the phone while I drive.

I also found one photo via google of the 6MT's shifter--looks nice and stubby. The Canadian shifter is even nicer though... has chrome accents.

Then I did a local search and found 2 cars within 50 miles with the 6MT--but one was EXACTLY the color I favor, Desert Bronze with beige interior. So I know it's possible to get the car with 6MT and even in a color I want. Good news for when I'm ready to buy...
    Yes, I am trying to get my point across... it is a disappointing and frustrating situation or I wouldnt be posting about it.

When I was shopping for a vehicle I looked at all options. I did look at the fine print below the 'big 29/40 hwy' and the my vehicle is not falling in those fine print estimates. I love everything about my elantra but the main reason I purchased this vehicle it is not doing, or even coming close.

As stated in my above post, if you would read carefully, I said that my hour long commute is all highway. The only stop lights I hit is to murge on the turnpike and when I get off the turnpike. As far as my driving style goes, I am no maniac... I drive the speed limit and at most 10 miles over it. I keep my car on cruise at between 65-75 mph and it is mostly flat terrain.

I purchased this vehicle in July and have used both 'summer' and 'winter' gas and really saw no difference between the two.

You mentioned that you have a 2011 and that you are getting 'what it says it will'... whatever that means. I have read over the forums and see that most mpg problems are in the 2012... do you think this could be the problem? I know that there is no 'claimed' to be difference in the models besides the steering, but maybe there was a smaller change or not mentioned by hyundai similar to the situation with the tibirions.

I am not expecting 40 mpg but at least 30 - 33 mpg would appropriate. I know there is many variables in computing mpg but when a car that is advertised to get great mileage is getting the same mpg as a 2009 Mitsabushi Eclipse, which is heavier, has a bigger, powerful motor, that made the same commute then there is an issue. I am not sure if it is just my car or maybe its the whole slew of 2012, but there is something wrong. Maybe no one has pursued yet because very few have reached the 7000 miles, according to Hyundai 'break in' mark.

I do know that others have reported similar issues with this year. The delarship where I purchased the vehicle said that they have recieved complaints about the mpg and even the women I spoke at Hyundai Customer service said the same thing. So maybe its not just me.

All I want is reasoning for this issue and I have yet to hear one. I think you can agree that when you pay thousands of dollars for something and it doesnt work to the standards set by its own company ( im talking about real word mpg), its disappointing.

Before ridiculing me and my post look at the whole situation... I have researched all the options, variables, and solutions and none of worked. I have reached out to Hyundai and they said they could not help me. So what else do I left to do?
    AGAIN, you have a 2011...I have a 2012, read the above post to mikeystoy5.

Trade a 4 month old car in? Are you even reasonable? So.. I trade the car and take 3-4,000 dollar loss. GET REAL. I dont hate the car, I love all my features, the look, and the interior design, its just not getting the gas mileage.

And coming up with numbers? The mpg is calculated manually by using the mileage travelled divided by the gallons of gas used. These calculations arent even taken off of the car's computer. So NO they are not made up.

As far as my driving style, I am no maniac... I drive the tunrpike ( ALL FLAT HIGHWAY) to and from work. Set the car on cruise on 60-75mph, reset my mpg and still getting 28 mpg.

Any other input?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Kate, if you look at consumer reviews of the 2011 Elantra, you will note that there are many complaints about inability to achieve the EPA estimated MPG on that model year as well.

If Sarah is getting good MPG (at least acceptable to her), that's great for her. I'd say more than 50% of reviewers have the "bad MPG" complaint, though.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• markwmarkw Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2011
    I understand the frustration with not getting the mpg you expected but keep in mind those are ideal figures. If you really want better gas mileage you will need to do all or some the things that help. Like remove excess weight, keep the car clean and waxed, maintain a slightly higher tire pressure, use synthetic oil, buy fuel that doesn't have additives (more chance for dirty injector etc though) drive much slower. The elantra likely doesn't have one but my 99 caravan has a real time fuel mileage display and the best mileage is around 52-55 mph. There are some more involved things like a low restriction air filter (I bought a foam one fits standard air-box for my 03 Pilot) and it saves money on replacement filters. After market exhaust would be the most expensive and likely impractical and unavailable for the elantra.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    No, the figures aren't meant to be "ideal" - they're meant to represent the average. If you look at the window sticker, right below the city and highway figures, there's an expected range. The numbers in large print represent the average as in this sample:
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ratingsNewSticker.shtml

If the low MPG is mostly attributable to driving or maintenance habits, then Elantra and Equinox owners must just be overall worse at both. We're not seeing this level of complaints about ANY other models. Just those two.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    They are nice cars really. Pass the back lot of Coconut Creek Hyundai daily and as soon as a new batch comes in, they are gone which just shows that the demand is still there. Hopefully by next year at this time when we're ready to buy, that situation will have leveled off quite a bit. I can honestly say that my prediction will be between the Elantra and the Buick Verano as to what she'll choose. Also think that she'll go for leather this time around since she says she wanted it in the Mazda even though I thought the Mazda grade leather was pretty inferior...think she blames me still! But she's buying whatever she wants...and can afford, so we'll see if she finally gets the leather. I'll be happy either way since I only get the car serviced, don't drive her car at all anymore.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• markwmarkw Member Posts: 8
    Hi Kirstie, you are correct my wording was not good. So then I will say the average mpg is assessed under ideal conditions. If you notice it doesn't say what the speeds were, weather road surface conditons, if there are long delays etc. but you can be sure that the manufacturer did their best to eliminate or minimize those real world affects. I would agree that the complaints are higher on those because the 40mpg is a very high number and personally I would think that it would not be consistently attained under real world conditons. What I always wonder is how people calculate their mileage. You would hae to start with a known amout on fuel add a known amount and then measure after and record city and highway miles which I don't think anyone does. Also pumps are not regulated that accurately for temperature which affect fuel volume. This article explains it fairly well.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2007/aug/22/autos/hy-wheels22
  • lestradelestrade Member Posts: 10
    i share your concerns. My 2012 limited gets about 32-34 if driven strictly, and I mean strictly on the highway. Any combination of highway/local drops the mpg to about 27. Not what I expected.
  • tturbotturbo Member Posts: 16
    Are you actually calculating MPG using miles traveled divided by gas used? Or are you relying on the onboard computer?

Here's what I do.
    Wait until my gas light comes on.
    I fill up by inserting the pump nozzle, selected a flow rate, lock it, and don't touch it until it shuts off on it's own. STOP. Do not add more to even out gallons or money. Just stop and go with what the pump gave.
    Reset mileage to 0. Drive normally as you like.
    When the gas light comes on again, right down how many miles you've traveled. Fill the tank like before, stopping once the pump has stopped.
    Take the previous miles traveled and divide by how much as you just put in.

Example:
    350 miles traveled.
    14 gallon fill.
    350 divided by 14 = 25mpg

Do this for at least 3-4 tankfuls to get a greater consistency.

Use your car mpg computer, if you have one, and see how it measures up.

On my BMW my car computer reads a bit different than my calculations.

The manual miles driven divided by gallons used is the BEST and only true method to get to actual MPG.
    The computer may work depending on how it was programmed.
  • tturbotturbo Member Posts: 16
    Ah.
    Didn't see this before I posted.

I too would expect at least 30mpg if my driving was at least 30% highway. My driving is about 50/50 city/highway. I would expect about 33-34mpg.

40mpg on highway would only be achieved under ideal conditions where you don't have to stop and go before getting to highway, only use cruise control, highway is plate flat, no head or cross wind, and you don't calculate getting off of highway.
    Oh, and no passing of any car where you'd have to give any throttle beyond what cruise is using.

It's a marketing number IMO, that's achieved by using the EPA rules to the manufactures advantage.
  • gunther2gunther2 Member Posts: 5
    OK I have posted a few times - couldn't find the car, got the car, love the car.

Then somewhere along the line a rat got in my car. It was only in there maybe 48 hours before all the "strange" things I was noticing concluded to the rat. Needless to say, I can't get the fear of a rat in the car every day I walk up to it. Has anyone heard of this before? Now I don't know if I want to keep it. Others tell me if I get another rat in the car I need to play the lottery...Thoughts?
  • mpgdupedmpgduped Member Posts: 1
    I bought the Elantra mainly for the supposed 40 MPG. I calculated my interstate mpg traveling at 65 to 70 mph and was disappointed with 34. My mpg instrument stated I was getting a minimum of 38 and up to 56 mpg. What a joke. You can try to justify this with some pitiful excuse, but I bought this car because I trusted this company. I have a Volkswagen diesel with 354,000 miles and it gets an average of 46.8 mpg. Exactly as it was advertised. People who say they are getting 40 are probably trusting the mpg instrument and it is not accurate.
    These figures on the car windows are just "estimates" really so keep that in mind. A few miles either way isn't that earth shaking now really. Enjoy the car as it's just an appliance really, a machine to get one from point A to point B. To get mad or angry is a bit over the top I'd think, get agitated about things that really matter in life, not because your mileage isn't what one had hoped. Guess I just don't get it...I fill the car when it needs it, go about my life, refill it when needed...end of story. Why must folks over think so many things...keep it simple folks! :)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

'12 Elantra makes MT's COTY finalist list (getting a good 30.5 mpg actual result for them during their finalist testing, which is better than two other finalists (Sonic 1.4L turbo and Veloster 1.6L, both with manual transmissions). MT's has a 6-spd manual transmission. Both Focus and Civic are contenders but didn't make MT's finalist list. MT complains about chassis and steering. But they love its styling, interior quality, roominess, trunk space, and engine. Elantra fails to make Automobile's and C&D's lists, though Focus does make both.
    Funny, as I think the Elantra is a better car than the Focus, just wonder whose sales have been higher for the '12 model year so far. I'm betting the Elantra has the higher figure. Have yet to drive the Elantra but was underwhelmed with the Focus SE I tested and didn't like the interior at all, not as open or spacious as the Elantra's. Just from the interior, I'd go with the Elantra hands down. But we've never been Ford people...and probably never will be...the one Ford product my dad had was a disaster...had to be towed back to dealer on the 1st day! The couple of Lincoln's my mom had were just o k, her previous Caddy's were so much better!

Don't know the difference in sales figures for 2012 Elantra vs Focus, but since Ford has a much larger dealership network and advertising budget, I'm assuming they've sold more Focuses overall but Hyundai has sold more Elantras per dealer than Ford has Focuses per dealer. Sales of Elantra have been outstanding so far.
    For CY2011, through Nov 30, Focus has sold 161,436 and Elantra 173,336.
    Do you have the model year figures for 2012 so far? Calendar year and model year figures are two different numbers. Thinking the new Focus is a MY 2012. The '11 Elantra was brand new. So the best comparison for sales figures is MY 2012 only. CY 2011 figures would include MY 2011 and MY 2012 numbers. I'm betting the MY 2011 figures were good for the brand new updated Elantra but not too good for the then aging Focus, at the end of its too long product cycle.
    edited December 2011
    I don't. You might try doing a little research on the 'net or maybe call Ford Customer Service and see if you can get those numbers for the 2012 Focus.

Also given the low price of the 2011 Focus vs. 2012, the 2011 actually might have had decent sales numbers in the first few months of 2011. For example, there were 172,421 Foci sold in 2010. That's almost the same sales pace as for 2011 (compare to the number I posted for the first 11 months of 2011). So the older Focus wasn't too shabby in the sales department.
    after driving my 2012 elantra limited for 7000 miles, my mpg hovered around 26-27 mpg i just traded it in for a Prius. my first tank averaged at 44 mpg and the ride is far superior to my elantra. Yes i took a little hit, but my pain is eased every time i look at the mpg readout, + 2yrs free service. Good luck and do not put too much weight on those who minimize your complaint
    Enjoy your new Prius! Probably was the best choice for you from the start, given your expectations. Gotta love 44 mpg!

Interesting to note though that you are getting 6 mpg under the Prius' EPA average FE, and 4 mpg under its EPA city rating. And you are OK with that, although you were not OK with the Elantra getting 6 mpg under its EPA average FE and 2 mpg under its city rating.
    Not to mention the loss of a better warranty. Time will tell I guess, besides it's a toyota and it doesn't matter what the mileage is. He's happy with it. You said you took a little hit ???????. Bet it was more then just a little.
    Did you consider a Sonata Hybrid? Did you test drive one? You may have gotten a lot more in trade than for a Prius.
    looked at the sonata hybrid but the battery takes up 1/2 the trunk the Prius hatchback design has a lot of room, especially with the rear seats down if needed.
    as for falling under epa ratings, i"ll accept the usual decrease as it occurs in every car, but vast difference going from 50-44 than going from 40-27.
    Bottom line is I'm happy when i drive.
  • zunnizunni Member Posts: 1
    I see these postings and really wonder - I purchased the 2012 Elantra in June 2011 - six speed box - and now have 12,000+ miles on the thing, on the hwy, a constant 40 to 44 - constant - measured by fill-up or the inbuilt readings - in the City 33-34.

So two options - you have a lemon and should have taken the car back - or you drive with a heavy foot - after 12,000 miles I have a lot more data than most - so I really do wonder about this - what Hyundai did so well here is use a simple basic 1.8 liter petrol engine - no weird and wonderful mods...enough said :)
    Stick or automatic?
  • rudy66rudy66 Member Posts: 26
    You silly little boy. 499 people out of every 500 complain about their gas mileage. I would guess that they are grown up and many, if not most, have a lot of driving experience. And you imply that our bad mileage is because we do not know how to drive conservately. I doubt that anyone would send notes to this forum if they not were trying to drive as conservately as possible and get good mileage. You got a lucky break - forget the hubris.
  • eweinereweiner Member Posts: 36
    Have any of you really looked at the average miles per hour the trip computer will display??

Consider that if you dont see a number 55 MPH or above...its not likely you'll get 40 MPG as you're not really doing highway driving.

I'm convinced that many people think they do more highway driving then the actually do. My average is between 29 and 40 MPH. I'd like to get 40 MPG but dont see how I will achieve that if I am not driving in a manner that will allow that to happen.

To the prius buyer above. You got significantly less car for more money. Took a hit, yes you did and you likely gave away all of your fuel savings in the process. Also, lets not forget that the prius is a hybrid and supplements battery for fuel usage.

Historically only the prius and the civic hybrid have shown savings for the consumer over a five year period. And only if you dont pay a premium for the car.

Now I am not trying to belittle your choice to move to Prius, only put some perspective on the decision as I am not sure you will save anything in the long run.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Your point about average speed is well taken. Most people think their average speed is higher than it really is.

Every week I meet a friend for Sunday lunch. 15.1 miles each way. 1.3 miles from home to expressway (with 2 stop signs & a traffic ight) and then moderately excellerate to 60 MPH & set cruise control. Then exit ramp to connect to another highway (have to disengage the cruise for a curve) which is about 45 to 50 MPH for a mile and a half to the next connecting ramp to another highway. Once on this third highway I hit the "resume" on the cruise. This section of highway is about 6 miles. Then on to a 35 MPH road(with traffic light at the end of the exit and one additional stop sign).

The trip is 3.3 miles local and 11.8 miles highway and take 22 to 25 minutes depending upon length of time at stop sign or traffic light. A lot of people would think they averaged 60 MPH and were using the cruise. They forget about the few miles of local roads with stops & starts, and the cut-off of cruise on the connecting ramps. But the best average speed for this trip is about 41 MPH according to the math.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    edited February 2012
    To be unveiled at the 2012 Chicago Auto Show!

2013 Elantra Coupe

Coupe Press release

Elantra GT Hatchback
    Yay! My 2004 Elantra GT hatch has been a great car for us (my son uses it as his college car now), and I had pushed the Elantra way down my shopping list for my next car (summer 2013 purchase) because it was sedan-only, vs. hatches like the Mazda3, Focus, Impreza, and Golf.

But NOW... suddenly the Elantra vaults way up my list because of the GT. Can't wait to see/drive it. Glad to see it will be offered with an MT. I hope Hyundai has one at the Greater Twin Cities Auto Show next month. I think that's very possible because I know HMA has used the same cars in the past for Chicago and Twin Cities... in fact my 2004 GT was one of those cars!
    I just looked at the 5 minute video included in the full Media Kit (available via link above). A few things I noticed:

* The center stack looked richer than on the current sedan.
    * The back seat folds FLAT, with the seat bottoms folding up also--just like on the old Elantra GT hatch!
    * The stick shift knob is snazzier than on the sedan.

Also I see that there's a panoramic sunroof. I am hoping that isn't standard. I noticed there's a lot of equipment on this car, including standard front seat heaters and 17" alloys. So I am hoping the base price isn't too stratospheric. If they could keep it under $20k with cloth, MT, no options, that would be pretty good. But it would bump up against some other fine hatches, including the Mazda3i Touring, Impreza Premium, Focus SE, and Golf.

FWIW, my 2004 GT listed at $17.4k with every option available at that time, including moonroof, ABS/traction, 15" alloys (standard), and leather (leather was standard back then). The new GT has much more equipment, however. My price was $13.2k + TTL. Don't think the new one will be anywhere close to that!
  • jamie1puttjamie1putt Member Posts: 2
  • jamie1puttjamie1putt Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone noticed how the passenger door panel doesn't line up to the dash board?

Contact your dealer!
  • sarin2sarin2 Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2012 Elantra GLS my husband hit a racoon and the front radiator support, dust cover and the lower front grill was damaged. My question is if I take it to my neighborhood( the guy is good and not so expensive) shop to fix it instead of the dealer will this void the car warranty in the future?
    Gee, this is a production built vehicle, not hand built, maybe you should buy something that will cost more, still find fault with. To me, it kinda of a nit picking which a lot of people have when they have buyers remorse, all I can say is go buy a Cruze, I see where there starting to burn down to the ground for some reason, you might be happier.I bet your dealer just loves to see you come in. NOT
  • tomtom59tomtom59 Member Posts: 3
    I agree with you sivicman. GDI is the way to go. I have a feeling Hyundai yanked the GDI engine for the Elantra because it would outperform another model of it's cars, the Sontata perhaps? When I plunk down multi-thousands for a car I too want the latest technology, not some "stay is high gear" tweeked computer program. As for MPG I have three vehicles. A 93 3.0 V6 12 valve Ford Ranger that gets 30 on the highway (on Regular), a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 24 valve V6 that gets 30.2 highway (on Regular, and is AWD) as well as a 2003 Miata with a 1.8 (rated at 29 hwy) gets 40 highway (10.1 gallons, 420 miles on mid-grade). Only change is Mobil 1 synthetic oil in each (synthetic fluid in tranny on the Jag too). My MPG is achieved using cruise & doing 70mph. None are new & I can't complain about fuel economy.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    The adoption of DI has been a little uneven, but it usually accounts for 10 more HP. I fail to see why they didn't put DI on the 1.8L version of that engine, since the 2.0L version has it (in fact, it's sitting in the Kia Soul, it's already federalized).
  • porperporper Member Posts: 2
    We test drove 3 comparable cars back-to-back over a weekend. Additionally, we rented the Elantra over the entire weekend. In addition to the Elantra, we tested the Nissan Sentra S and the Chevy Cruise LT.

The Elantra we drove had 40k miles on it. But, rather than disqualifying it from our evaluations, it actually gave us a valuable glimpse into how well the car might hold up [keeping in mind that rental companies generally maintain their cars better than most drivers do] and how it might perform several years down the road, and not just fresh off of the sales floor lot. The mileage would have no effect on the overall build quality, other than to, again, highlight how well that build quality might hold up.

"Best Car Ever"? Sure, if what you're used to are bottom-of-the-barrel econo-box specials. The immediate impression the Elantra made on us was that of a thin-walled soda-pop can on wheels. The general feel of the car was cheapness. The interior had acres of cheap plastic, along with the shiny, hard plastic dash that so many manufacturers are currently churning out. Things went downhill from there. There was an annoying and persistent rattle coming from under the car. Power? Forget it. Not much there for passing, of much of anything. And, with the air conditioner turned on, there was even less power. The engine groaned horribly any time you stepped on the gas. Mileage wasn't anything extraordinary, although it didn't seem too bad, either.

Steering at highway speeds was scary. The electronic power steering that many [particularly Asian] manufacturers have adopted has a long way to go. Steering and controlling the car on expressways was unnerving and imprecise, and the vehicle felt unstable. When going over bumps, the Elantra seemed to jump sideways, momentarily loosing stability. The car vibrated when idling. Parallel parking was difficult due to the limited visibility out of the rear windshield. On the plus side, the air conditioning energized very quickly, although at highway speeds in the 100 plus degree heat, it was barely able to cool very much.

If the Elantra seemed cheap, the Sentra S was like Al Yankovic: even worse. Driving it, we had the feeling of going down several notches in quality. It felt even less solid than the Elantra. Even poorer acceleration, poorer stability over roads, poorer braking. Looking under the hood, we found a tiny, tiny, seeming inch-thick radiator resembling a child's toy. The entire assembly seemed to have been randomly thrown together in the manner of American engineering of past decades, rather than the logical and orderly Japanese method we've seen. Even worse, there was a ledge at the bottom of the engine
    over which the air conditioning compressor constantly dripped condensation. Now, there's a built-in rust-through situation. We exited the Sentra S quickly after testing it.

The Chevy Cruze 1LT brought a welcome change from the other 2 Asian cheapos. Climbing into the car, you at last experience a feeling of solidness, strength, and quality. Not a whole lot of it, but certainly way more than we found in the other two cars. The Cruze still has the same hard, shiny plastic dash that the other cars have, with lots of plastic parts. Additionally, we looked for the "near luxury car" feel that others have attributed to it - and we didn't find it. At all. My aged 1990's era vehicle [not a luxury car] has incomparably more of those attributes than the Cruse. But, the impression of solid quality was unmistakable.

With the turbo engine, the Cruze had more power than the other two cars, but not that much, and the engine groaned and struggled under hard acceleration of the kind you might employ to merge onto expressways. With air conditioning running, it had even less power and more strain. The air conditioning itself was poorer than either the Sentra or Elantra. Road stability was much, much better than the other two cars we had driven, as was the steering. Looking under the hood, things were laid out better than in the other cars, and somewhat more accessible.

If we had to choose between these three cars, the hands down winner would be the Cruze. But only by default, actually. Looked at on its own, the Cruze offered inadequate acceleration and unimpressive interior appointments and quality. Those thinking that a car such as this was "near luxury class" needs an immediately reality check.
    You realize that, despite the turbo, the Cruze has less horsepower than the Elantra? What you were feeling was the low end torque, where the Elantra is very insufficient. But that's why the Cruze was groaning and struggling: the thing's only got 138 HP under the hood.
    edited July 2012
    The interior had acres of cheap plastic, along with the shiny, hard plastic dash that so many manufacturers are currently churning out.

Did you actually touch the Elantra's dash? The top of it is padded. There's a lot of hard plastic parts in the Elantra's interior though... just like in any new inexpensive car these days. Your rental must have been a base GLS; the GLS with Preferred Package has padded inserts in the doors that help schazz things up a bit.

Mileage wasn't anything extraordinary, although it didn't seem too bad, either.

You had the Elantra for a weekend, and you didn't measure fuel economy? If so, what was it?

Driving it (Sentra), we had the feeling of going down several notches in quality.

I don't know what you drive today, but I've leased a 2010 Sentra S for 27 months now and I've found it's a solid, comfortable car--if not too exciting. Also, it's the only car I've owned/leased this long that has had absolutely zero problems--zilch, nada.

The Cruze still has the same hard, shiny plastic dash that the other cars have,...

So you didn't touch the dash of the Cruze either, it appears.

Road stability was much, much better than the other two cars we had driven, as was the steering.

That's interesting... one of the things I don't like about the Cruze after driving it many times as a rental is that the steering seems vague on the highway. That, and the tight rear seat. Otherwise I think it's a pretty nice little car, tons better than the old Cobalt. Makes a nice rental, if I'm not carrying any passengers in back.
    "The Chevy Cruze 1LT brought a welcome change from the other 2 Asian cheapos. Climbing into the car, you at last experience a feeling of solidness, strength, and quality. Not a whole lot of it, but certainly way more than we found in the other two cars."

Let me get this straight, y'all climbed in and sat down and felt strength, quality and solidness. Solidness of what...the seats? The thunk of the doors closing? You didn't drive the car yet so how was this solidness measured? For the quality, was it the quality of the seat fabric or the switchgear? Since the car wasn't driven yet, the ride quality could not be judged...quality has different meanings to people. And for strength, how does one quantify this? Not trying to be mean or nothing, but I just don't understand your logic here. I agree with much of what you've written, just not which cars had more or less of these attributes. Personally, I felt the Elantra was a notch above the Cruze and Sentra but felt the seating was most comfortable in the Sentra even though it's the oldest model.
    Think the Verano is the sleeper in this group though the mileage and price are its two negatives. From all I've read, it seems to be the lux econo ride here though. We're in the market for either a subcompact or compact since our current ride is getting too costly to keep on the road. The a/c is about to quit and with over 108k on the clock, just want it gone.

The solidness was probably measured by the heavy lead weights in the chassis. The thing is pretty heavy. :shades:

Actually, weight sometimes does lend to that solidity feel. However, it also add to...well, weight. Which takes power to drag around.
    Think the Verano is the sleeper in this group though the mileage and price are its two negatives. From all I've read, it seems to be the lux econo ride here though.

I consider the Verano to be in a different class than econoboxes like the Cruze, Elantra, and Sentra. If you max out one of those, you get to the bottom of the price range for the Verano. I see the Verano competing more with cars like the ILX.
  • sunstate2013sunstate2013 Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2012
    I was going to craft a really humorous response to porper's Elantra vs Sentra vs Cruze review but after seeing that he registered to this forum on July 12, 2012 and posted his/her one and only post immediately after registering I decided it wasn't worth my time.

Reading his likely fabricated review wasn't worth my time either.

There is always at least one in every crowd and/or forum.

A 2012 rental Elantra with 40K miles. Really!