Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Archaeologist trying to Identify Car

mjollemjolle Member Posts: 4
I located several body panels to a car while in the field recently and have hit a wall trying to properly identify it. One body panel, most likely the trunk door, had the word "Champ" in 50's-60's type cursive on it. That is really all I have to go on. A web search found a version of the Mitsubishi Lancer made by Plymouth in the 80's, but that is far too recent for this component. The panels appear to be from an older model car, not a hatch-back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Most likely candidate I can think of is an early 60s Studebaker pickup:

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Is it possible that some of the cursive script could have broken off, and that it once read "Champion"? If that's the case, then a Studebaker is by far your most likely candidate, as Mr. fintail suggests. Studebaker used the Champion name for many years.

Do you have a photo you can post?
  • mjollemjolle Member Posts: 4
    It may be possible that it is the Studebaker pickup. Are you familiar with what panel that would have come off of? Champ had a rivet hole on the "C" and the "p", but nothing further on. It is unlikely that the name plate would not be fixed at the end by a rivet. This leads me to believe that it was a "Champ" and not Champion. My only reservation with the pickup is that the panel looked as though it was from a trunk door not a tailgate.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    One vehicle you can positively rule out, is the Rolls Royce engined Austin Champ! ;)
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056
    I honestly cannot think of a Studebaker Champion from the '40's or '50's (last model year was '58), that had any cursive "Champion" nameplate on the decklid. Earlier ones had a printed "Champion" nameplate on the trunk handle, and later '50's models had only "Studebaker" across the trunk lid.

That "Champ" pickup nameplate was only on the front doors. Like everybody else, Stude trucks had "Studebaker" in painted letters across the tailgate.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    edited June 2011
    That's why I asked him if the script was actually broken or if we could see a picture of the panel. The description, otherwise, doesn't seem to add up.

I think there was a rather obscure German minicar called a Champion, but odds of it being that are astronomically small.

It could also be part of a dealer's name. Back in the day, you did find dealer's names in chrome script.
  • mjollemjolle Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2011

Here is a photo. The pickup sounds better and better. How about the trunk of a '41 Studebacker? Or was that a 'Champion'?
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Any way to see a picture of the whole panel? We'd get you an aswer real quick!
    This is from a 60s Stude pickup:
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    edited June 2011
    Well, here's a Studebaker Champ pickup door emblem, looks like a match:

From this Ebay Item

That's what I get for not looking - fin got it already...
    This website shows some of the various "champion" scripts one finds on Studebakers:
    CHAMPION SCRIPTS
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,056
    Studebaker did use "Champion" nameplates on the hoods of some late '40's and early '50's models, but looking at Studebaker International's online catalog, none had the style of print or spacing of letters that emblem does. Strange indeed.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I don't know squat about this really, but find it interesting nonetheless. Maybe I'm just a bit of a nostalgic. Anyway, this got me to looking at an old car spotters guide book I have. It showed a drawing of the interior dash of a 46 Champion having a script Champion logo on it. So maybe the part comes from the interior of some WWII era model?

I've always had a bit of a fascination with the independent makes of US vehicles from the 50's. That may come from growing up in a lower middle class Chicago suburb neighborhood where most people drove used cars, and independents tended to sell cheaper used so there were more than a few around my blocks.
This discussion has been closed.