Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

All-New 2012 + Toyota Camry

Comments

• shawn68shawn68 Member Posts: 8
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The SE (Sport Edition) is supposed to be like that. The suspension is set-up much stiffer than the other verisons of the Camry (base, LE, XLE) to be more "sports car" like.
  • wally9mmwally9mm Member Posts: 3
    2012 V6 SE, leather, moon roof, convenience pkg.

Disappointed that leather package is not all leather.

Still playing around with the Display Unit. Voice Recognition system does not work well.

The TPMS display shows 4 tires across the screen instead of the display with the outline of the car with the pressure value next to the respective tire.

How can you tell which tire corresponds to the display? The manual(s) nor the display do not identify the order of the readout.
  • jesmaeiljesmaeil Member Posts: 3
    I don't know about LXE model but my 2012 Camry SE was a big mistake. for that money I could get much better car. I went for CAMRY name and didn't do proper research about other cars and options.
    What bothers me that dealerships are not friendly and deny this brain eating sound. I am 43 and had more than 8 diffrent cars including 3 Toyota cars but this never happened. hope more people will come forward to complain about this and Toyota will make a recall otherwise I have to keep a pair of ear plugs in the car.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    What are you talking about? Your post doesn't make sense or maybe your experience with the English language is the problem. I just don't understand what you are saying.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• jesmaeiljesmaeil Member Posts: 3
    My reply was for astra3 and which part you don't get?? Do you work for Toyota?? I hope you do! you should tell them what kind of CRAP is 2012 Camry. to all new car buyers out there all I can say is that "DO NOT BUY CAMRY 2012".
    sandman I hope you will understand English as you grow up, no rush !
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    edited December 2011
    Sandman doesn't work for Toyota.

Your message was a bit unclear, because it's basically just a rant against Toyota and the Camry, and doesn't really explain what issues you are having with your vehicle. You say there's a noise, but it isn't clear what kind of noise and where it's coming from. It's clearly still under warranty. When you went in to try to get it fixed, did you ride along with someone from the dealership so you could show them when & where the noise occurred?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

How about the tram-lining? Follows the rut of the road so you swing left to right / right to left and it does not seem stable on the road. I know some low profile tires do that, but this is 215/55-17.
    Thanks for your answer but I just skip over posts that are angry or don't make sense...this is a "fun" site and I treat it as such. :)

Booyah...I am...

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• viper07viper07 Member Posts: 6
    As for your tramline issue have you checked the tires? I believe the SE comes with Continental or Bridgestone tires. I've had similar issues with both of these brands on grooved roads. The Bridgestones (215/65-16) were so unsafe on grooved roads that I had to replace them at 1,200 miles on a new vehicle. Also got tired of my head beating against the side window. Went with Michelin Harmony tires and the problem went away.

Two other causes could be wrong tire pressure or the wheel alignment is off slightly.
  • tommyridetommyride Member Posts: 3
    I just bought the new 2012 Camry SE last week.
    Yes! The new SE gives me fatiguing feeling and headache on small bumps. This is a very uncomfortable experience. If you are buying an 2012 Camry SE, I suggest you do a test drive on freeway and on bumpy roads to see if you can endure this VERY annoying feeling. Enough drivers rise the issue, I think, Toyota may has to recall the 2012 Camry SE for the repair.
    About 2012 Camry SE's suspension problem, read the below expert reviews by Kelsey Mays:
    "... I only wish Toyota had worked similar magic with the suspension. It doesn't jar as much through potholes and ruts, but small bumps are felt in a fatiguing, ever-present rhythm."
    (http://www.cars.com/toyota/camry/2012/expert-reviews/?revid=57553)

@shawn68,
    You are not alone, the new Camry SE actually gives me the uncomfortable vibration feelings and slight headache on the bumpy roads. I wish I knew this before I bought the car. Hope Toyota will fix the issue.
    I noticed the suspension vibration problem with my new 2012 Camry SE V4. The issue may force Toyota recall 2012 SE because the stupid vibration over bumps is giving people sudden headache/dizziness while driving. If you plan to buy the new Camry SE, do the test drive long enough to see if you can endure the suspension vibration over road bumps.
  • alleycat10alleycat10 Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2011
    I test drove the Camry SE, Hyundai Genesis 3.8, Honda Accord EX, Honda CR-V EX and Toyota RAV4 base model all on the same rough road on the same day. The Genesis has an unstable and bouncy ride on rough pavement. The Accord has an uncomfortable driver seat. The Hondas were a bit too noisy for me as well as the Toyota RAV4 base model that is buzzy with engine noise at low speeds. I went for the Camry SE four cylinder model with upgraded driver seat. Had the Genesis been equipped with a more refined suspension, that would have been my choice. I liked the ride on all the others, well-controlled and compliant at the same time. I do like stiff, well controlled rides, but not with stiff rebound like that of the Genesis. The only drawback for the Camry SE four is the somewhat numb electric steering. I can live with that. I also drove the SE V6 that had better steering feedback, but didn't want the standard eighteen inch wheels and low profile tires that come with that model.
    Have the fit for the window weatherstripping checked. You may be hearing noise from an airleak. I had the same issue with a Dodge Intrepid years ago that was repaired by replacing the weatherstrip on the driver side window.
    edited December 2011
    I just closed the deal on a 2012 Camry SE four cylinder in silver color as well. I did not want all of the electronic gadgets, moon roof and leather trim, so got the base SE with front seat upgrade, body side moldings and carpet matts. The price OTD was $24,314. That included 7% sales tax, registration and lemon law fee. I guess that is a reasonably good price. I drove the SE V6. It has better steering feedback than the base SE, but gets about 5 mpg less and comes standard with 18-inch wheels and low profile tires that I did not want because of high tire replacement cost and quick wear. The dealer threw in a lifetime drive train warranty to close the deal.
  • k111k111 Member Posts: 4
    I have been looking/discussing pricing for Camry LE in Dallas area with many dealership and this is the best I have seen so far -

Camry LE with NO Added options - $21,050 + TTL.

Is this a good deal ?

Thank you in advance.
    Perhaps the vibration issue you're experiencing with your Camry SE with four cylinder engine is due to over-inflated tires. I haven't noticed such an issue with my new SE. I drove a 2012 Genesis 3.8 twice before deciding on the Toyota. My first test drive with the Genesis was marred by over-inflated tires making the ride very jittery on small pavement imperfections. I had the tire pressure reduced and that jittery ride issue went away.
  • stew4570stew4570 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a 2012 silver Camry SE I4 for OTD price of $23,453. Have 7% tax.
  • parsnipparsnip Member Posts: 4
    that's a good price isn't it.
    The tires that came with my car and many other 2012 Se I have checked all are Michelin Primacy MXV4. The tire pressure cold is about 33 and when warmed up gets to 36. The alignment is fine and no pulling to either side, but the road rain grove following still continues. I have talked to Michelin and dealership and no remedy yet. The only thing I have found is to try the Goodyear Assurance Comfo-tred to have a softer and quieter ride and less tramlining, but the reviews of that tire is mixed! Any expert advice is welcome.
  • viper07viper07 Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 2012 XLE 4 cyl with the 215/55-17 Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. I have not had a chance to drive it on grooved roads and have not experienced any problems with the tires. Next time I drive over to Dallas I make a run across the grooved section of 635.

The tires that come on most new vehicles only have about 9/32 of tread depth. If you purchase the same tire from a tire dealer is will have around 11 to 13/32 of tread depth depending upon the manufacturer. These would probably give a smoother ride initially, however I not sure if they would help or make matters worse on grooved roads.

I would not recommend the Goodyear ComforTred Touring tires. I put a set on a 05 Honda CRV several months ago and had them removed several weeks later. They were the harshest riding tire I have ever experienced and exterior of the tires looked like they were made in defective molds. These tires were even worse than the Bridgestone tires that came on the vehicle. Fortunately I purchased them at Discount Tire who let me swap them for a set of Michelin Destiny tires.

Unless you drive on grooved roads all day long I would recommend you run these tires for a while to see if the ride improves. If you are lucky someone who has worked in the tire business for many years may read this post and give you a good recommendation.
  • otter777otter777 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a '12 camry last week. On my way home heard some unusual noise to my left when driving on highway. Took it to dealership late today. Technician test drove the car with me and said he did hear something abnormal but it was very very soft and almost negligible--definitely no problem with the radio on. he did not know where the noise came from but would contact Toyota and try to have the problem fixed Monday. Good attitude but not sure if the problem can be fixed.
    I have a 2012 SE also. I don't hear anything from the driver door or window, but when getting up to around 75 to 80 MPH a TIC TIC noise comes from behind the instrument dash area. I am not sure if the wind pressure is making the front under engine plastic cover to rattle , but please let us know what the dealer finds on yours. I also experience tramlining on grooved road on the freeways, meaning the car follows the groove and keeps moving left and right. On the asphalt road it is perfect.
  • carl65carl65 Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering how the low beam headlights perform on the 2012 Camry? I have an 08 Camry and the headlights seem somewhat dim particularly on very dark nights or in rain.
  • otter777otter777 Member Posts: 2
    brought my Camry L to dealership today. Technician contacted Toyota and was told to test drive two other '12 Camry's on lot. Technician said both have similar issues. So they determined that the noise is normal and sent me back.
  • ttbttb Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2012
    Hi,
    Does anyone know if tire pressure warning system (or tire pressure monitoring system tpms) is standard on all 2012 Camrys in Canada?
    Thanks.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Yes tpms is standard on all Camrys in Canada. I believe that tpms is now installed on all 2012 cars. Government regulation in Canada
    edited January 2012
    I just drove home a 2012 Camry LE last week and has been trying to figure out why the tpms warning light is not among one of those warning lights around the gauges. I went through the owner's manual and it said the warning light is "US only".

That's fine, thinking that the 6.1" touch screen will show me the tire pressue. When I press the "CAR" button next to the screen, it takes me right to the fuel consumption screen without asking if I want tire pressure information or trip information as per the owner's manual.

Interestingly, when I asked a service advisor at a dealership for a winter tire quote, he asked if I wanted to put tpms sensors in the winter tires. So I think the car must have tpms.

Does my car has tpms??
  • mymankobemymankobe Member Posts: 2
    Yes I bought a brand new 2012 Camry SE and I hear a noice somewhere in the driver side. I don't know where the noise is coming from. I dont want to bring it to the dealer cause I know they will play around with the car. I got the car which had only 4 miles. I am pretty sure there wil be a recall in the new models. Does anyone know who we can contact to bring the attention to? Dealers don't do anything, we need to bring it to Coporate. We all need to mention the same problem.
  • mymankobemymankobe Member Posts: 2
    Thats crazy that the whole lineup have the same problem. You would think Toyota learned a lesson from last recall.
    A recall is a safety issue. A noise that is just an annoyance will be corrected by a TSB, if you complain to the service dept.
    edited January 2012
    Yes, mostly they learned that people do crazy things, like use multiple floor mats and/or do not use the floor mat clips. There was no electronic problem, only an accelerator pedal that was not designed to accomodate people using two or more floor mats or not using the mat clips. Of course, the Toyota hate group was praying that it was something electronic, but the government and NASA proved that it was not. I am sure they (the hate group) will read this and come after me!

As someone who has been in manufacturing management for decades, I can say that this noise could be an issue, as any brand new model could have something like this, but Toyota will come up with a solution, put out a TSB, and then your dealer will correct it. Fortunately, it is only a noise, not a safety problem, and not something that will prevent you from getting somewhere.

Bottom line - yes, it is annoying, but you have to expect that something may need to be corrected on the very first year model of a car (made by any manufacturer), especially this early in the model year. I avoid first year models for this reason, if possbile. Hang in there, they will get it corrected. I had one car that was a new model year, it had a few rattles, but was corrected, no problems after that! It was annoying and inconvienent, but not unexpected.
    You are right though...human error were the causes which have been proven, people can say whatever they want but that still won't change the truth. Agree that a noise issue will be looked at by corporate and if there is a fix, a TSB will be issued on how to correct it. But a noise is not like a safety issue and the car is still driveable. Unfortunately, this sometimes happen with a first year model. Same thing happened with my first year model Civic and the issues were all corrected by TSB's and it's still a great driving car. So cheer up folks, many of us have been there and honestly, it's not the end of the world as we know it!

• mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
    Just wondering what guided your decision - and if you are happy with the new Camry.
    I got a reply from Toyota Canada via email that TPMS is not a standard feature in those 2012 LEs in Canada. Not sure about other models.

IMO, this is one BIG step BACKWARD.
  • avacado12avacado12 Member Posts: 8
    Bought 2012 Camry LE about 10 days ago. Here is the something that I do not like:
    1) automatic light: took a while to kick on when driving into dark area and did not turn off even at sunny day
    2) one touch window at driver side did not work all the time. Need more touches!

Anyone has the same problems?

Thanks!
  • kcmoverkcmover Member Posts: 36
    looking for a 2012 Camry for my wife and wanted to know what one loses in buying a 4 CYL Camry vs the 6 CYL. She drives about 15 to 18K miles a year. Frequent highway trips of 200 miles to visit her Father. Would I be making a mistake in buying the 4 CYL. She is currently driving a 2008 Honda Accord with a 6 CLY.
  • windjammer69windjammer69 Member Posts: 1
    Yes I had an Accord and have purchased a 2012 Camry, There was not much difference in the price but the Camry had a much better ride, and was much more quiet inside. The seats where far more comfortable and had much better adjustments. So far the Camry gets better gas mileage and it si not even got 1000 miles on it yet.
  • kcmoverkcmover Member Posts: 36
    Mark,

Was it a 4 CYL or an 6 CYL Camry? XLE?

Thanks,
  • ewkidewkid Member Posts: 5
    I went from a V6 Maxima to the SEI4 Camry. Here are a few things I've noticed. The 4 is not like a 4 you may have driven 15-20 years ago. I feel it has enough power most of the time. The biggest thing she will notice is that the 4 will require her to push further down on the pedal to get up and go or pass. The engine does respond nicely as long as you get used to pushing the pedal down farther. The 4 will also sound more buzzy than the 6, but that's not to say it's loud or annoying. It's a good engine.

I drive about 100 miles a day and I'm happy with the 4 because I saved a few grand up front and I save daily on gas. She will need to drive both to be sure. If she has a heavy foot then she may like the 6 better. The 6 is a beast.
  • mj78indmj78ind Member Posts: 8
    Hi

I am new to this but your post seems very informative. May I know what was the invoice price when you paid $22,400? Does the OTD include sales tax if yes may I know how much was it?

Also kindly bear with me for this rough analysis:
    Say I want to get a 2012 Toyota Camry LE, with automatic / power driver seat. The breakdown is as under (per Edmunds):
    Invoice = $20,588 + $392 (automatic seat) + $760 (destination fees) = $21,740
    MSRP = $22,500 + $392 + $760 = $23,652
    Now say if I pay $22,500 (somewhere in the middle of Invoice and MSRP) is that the OTD price? Is this a good price OTD or should I aim for $21,740 - $900 = $20,840?
    Now in order to figure out how much I end up paying, I should add:
    Sales Tax (6.5 - 7.5% since I am in Ill)
    Title Fees - $65 (for Ill)
    License Plates - $78 (for Ill)

Is there anything else I should add to get the final price?

Then finally of course I need to get an insurance which would be ~$1000 - $2000 depending on my record?

Thanks!
  • mj78indmj78ind Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I posted under the wrong heading hence posting once again, apologies for the repeat.
    Say I want to get a 2012 Toyota Camry LE, with automatic / power driver seat. The breakdown is as under (per Edmunds):
    Invoice = $20,588 + $392 (automatic seat) + $760 (destination fees) = $21,740
    MSRP = $22,500 + $392 + $760 = $23,652
    Now say if I pay $22,500 (somewhere in the middle of Invoice and MSRP), is this a good price OTD or should I aim for something lower than the invoice say $21,740 - $900 = $20,840?
    Now in order to figure out how much I end up paying, I should add:
    Sales Tax (6.5 - 7.5% since I am in Ill)
    Title Fees - $65 (for Ill)
    License Plates - $78 (for Ill)

Is there anything else I should add to get the final price?

Then finally of course I need to get an insurance which would be ~$1000 - $2000 depending on my record?
  • grangrangrangran Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Camry XLE and noticed a buzzing noise coming from my rear driver's side tire. When I clicked on the car button inside it originally said -- for tire pressure but then updated to 33. Does anyone know what this means?
    I bought the I4 SE, after considering going with the V6 version. I did not buy the V6 because it comes with larger wheels and low profile tires that stiffen the ride a bit too much. In addition, the low profile tires wear out faster and cost quite a bit more than the 17-inch tires that are standard on the I4 model. There is, of course, the lower cost for the I4 model as well, both in purchase price and the difference in gas mileage, admittedly, not a lot. The V6 version has better steering feedback, however, not a big issue for me. Past experience with reliability shows the Toyota fours better than their sixes.
  • nynjbuyernynjbuyer Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2012 SE V6 and find that the tires are too stiff and produce too much noise. I asked Toyota (I called their customer service 800 number) what replacement tires they would recommend that are not 'low profile' and they told me that changing the tires to any other size would void the warranty. If I knew before hand that the ride would be so stiff and noisy (especially the road noise), I would not have bought the car. Moreover that there is no viable alternative tire is disheartening.
  • mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
    Thanks very much for the info, windjammer. This was what I suspected, actually - that Camry is smoother & quieter than Accord.
  • ronn13ronn13 Member Posts: 5
    Today i got invoice for 2012 Camry SE V6

Camry SE V6
    Convenience package
    Carpeted Floor Mats
    Display Audio with Navigation Entune and JBL
    Door still Enhancements
    Leather Package
    Power Tilt/Slide Moonroof

Price - 28,320 + 190 + 24 + 1,712 + 23 = 30,269

Is this good deal ? i really appreciate your feedback
  • michaelpsumichaelpsu Member Posts: 24
    Let me lay the groundwork. I have had four new Toyotas in the past six years. All have had the JBL system, and every car that I had before that had an upgraded system.

I am looking at a 2012 XLE, and debating 4cyl vs V6. It is hard to find a 4cyl with the JBL system, but many V6s have it. In either case, it seems that you have to get the whole blind spot/safety connect package with the JBL system, which makes it a pricy upgrade, and I really don't want those features.

The basic Entune set up has six speakers and a sub, but no amp from what I can tell. JBL has eleven speakers I think.

So...any feedback? Who has listened to both systems? Is it worth the price? Keep in mind...for the most part I drive alone, and am jamming to tunes. LOL And I despise the base system in my Mom's 2010 LE. The JBL system in my 2010 SE is lightyears ahead.