Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

All-New 2012 + Toyota Camry

Comments

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Interesting. I also have owned a Maxima which we have loved dearly. But I plan to replace it in a year or so with a Toyota Camry Hybrid. Clearly I'm more impressed with it than you are. I thought the ride was very smooth and the interior way above the previous Camry. But the mileage is especially what I would like to have and don't in my current Maxima.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • ttbttb Member Posts: 40
    In the setup menu under vehicle, you can adjust the sensitivity of the automatic headlight.

Regarding the one touch window up/down feature, your dealer can fix it for you.
  • chase9chase9 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the new Camry 2012 on the 19th of Jan. Sometimes when I try to start the car i.e. pressing the Engine Start button, my car goes dead. I know i am starting the car correctly, i.e. pressing the breaks and pressing the start button. Does anyone else have this issue?
  • oparroparr Member Posts: 74
    Just got a 2012 Camry and the engine has no exhaust manifold cover. In fact, none of them at the dealership had covers. The first explanation given by a salesman was that Toyota stopped using the covers because they rattled over time. This I didn't buy so I asked one of the head mechanics. He said they originally had covers but the new up-stream O2 sensor was longer than the original so they had to abandon the covers. Said I was the first one to notice this. What a load of crock.

When you fly the hood, the lack of a cover sticks out like a sore thumb. The 2009 that I turned in looks more refined under the hood because of this.
  • ttbttb Member Posts: 40
    Can I replace the low beam stock halogen bulbs of a 2012 LE with Philips H11 Crystal Vision Ultra bulbs?
    Thanks.
  • buffalobubbuffalobub Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue - there is a weird 'tink...tink..tink" coming from the front door panel. The tech took it a part - added insulation. Still there. He is checking with the regional rep but no solution yet.
  • auttautt Member Posts: 20
    Hi,

I just bought a Super White 2012 Camry SE V4 with Entune Nav and Soft-Tex power leather trim seats with black cloth inserts. I have driven it very little but did get on the highway, and long roads cruising at 45. Didn't hear any weird sounds. Also the one-touch mirror works for me. Didn't notice anything. The lights are always on auto and they behaved appropriately and promptly where I am concerned. My only complaint is that Toyota used cheap speakers and could have tuned there standard sound system a little bit more so that it sounded better. The 2012 Passat standard sound system was better sounding in comparison. Of course it sounds good compared to sounds systems from earlier in the decade. The SE suspension is not too bad, glad I went with v4 and got the 17'. I think 18' would be a bit too uncomfortable for a Camry. Love the "simulated" steering, felt it was better than the LE steering. Love Entune though the graphics are atrocious for 2012!! Look more like 2004 level. Tried XM, HD, Entune Pandora. All worked great! Love the voice guided navigation but wish you could do more Siri like natural commands. Overall, for a compromise family sedan with lots of space, reliability, safety and comfort, I would say the SE V4 with entune Nav and SoftTex leather trim with black cloth inserts is a good buy!
  • meganrovmeganrov Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Toyota Camry LE 4 cylinder. With the key ON engine OFF (the second position) , I hear a high pitched electrical noise from under the hood. Its a nonstop "eeeeeeeeeeeeeee". Its driving me nuts and no I do not have tinnitus LOL. The sound continued even after vehicle is running, although most was muffled by the sound of the engine. I was told by a friend that its probably a relay but I thought relays made clicking/ buzzing noises and usually stops in a few seconds.

Anyone else here experiencing the same problem? Thanks in advance.
  • shawn68shawn68 Member Posts: 8
    I have had my 2012 Camry SE since October and now over 6000 miles. There is an unbearable constant humming/tire treat noise that starts at about 40MPH and continues. As if I have those large truck tires in the car. After the 5000 miles tire rotation, was even worse. I replaced the MXV4 with MXM4 and now it is even louder. There must be something wrong with the suspension. I read a few other messages about same issues. Is anyone experiencing this and has anyone found a remedy? I have had 3 other Camys and none had this issue.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    My friend has a similar issue but he hasn't done anything so far. I'm glad now that I couldn't work out a deal for a SE back in Nov. :shades:
  • rikki90rikki90 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2012
    aight so im driving on a city road with 200 miles on the car. All of a sudden the check engine light comes on. And im like wtf. Then the traction control light comes on and i move to the right lane in case [non-permissible content removed] hits the fan. A few secinds later the gas pedal becomes unresponsive sometimes giving acceleration sometimes not. Then the check oil light comes on. Keep in mind the other lights are still on. Once the oil light comes on i pull off to a side road and just as i do the car stops running. Dead silent. I turn the car off. Pop the hood and Check the oil dipstick and it reads full. Get back in the car and turn it on. All lights are off but check engine still on. I decide to drive it to the dealer. On the way the traction control light comes on and im like oh [non-permissible content removed] its going to all happen again so i pull into a target turn off the car wait a few minutes and turn it back on. Trac control light is off now but check engine still on. Dealer is 3 blocks away and i make it there without anymore lights coming on. Its been there since 3pm thurs and nobody has called to tell me what the frick the problem is.

The main reason I brought a camry was that I know the car was going to last me 10 yrs... with zero problems... This is only the 1st week.

Please respond if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
    Rik
  • purrformabvspcpurrformabvspc Member Posts: 4
    I bought 2012 Camry SE 2/20/12 with Bridgestone terranza tire, and they are loud tires compare to my old 2001 Solara se w. terranza serenity tires. This is my first time buying a first model year Camry , b/c there's most likely trim and fitting problems. I found passages side rear window trim was installed incorrect. the vertical trim is not locked on horizontal top trim. the vertical trim is starting lift from cross wind and creating wind noise.
  • klunkmanklunkman Member Posts: 80
    Wow. Didn't realize Toyota developed a 4 cylinder in a V configuration. Learn something new everyday.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The 2012 Camry has an exhaust manifold cover, except for the California emissions models. This is just like the 2007-2011 models. So if you like good looks under the hood, don't buy the CA emissions models.
    Sorry to hear that, but you will be fine. They'll get it fixed, and it will be fine in the future. Sounds like an usual manufacturing error with the ECM to me.
  • viper07viper07 Member Posts: 6
    Sorry to hear about the build quality issues with your new Camry and that your car came with Bridgestone tires. My 2012 XLE built in early December 2011 also has build issues. The gap between the hood and left fender is about twice the gap of that between the hood and right fender. The left front headlight does not line up with the hood. The paint on the drivers side between the top of the doors and the back strip on the roof has faded areas where the paint did not blend properly. The driver's bottom seat cover was not put on straight. The window tint the Gulf States Toyota distributorship installed has air bubbles in it by the center mount brake light. The left rear quarter window looks like they used a damaged piece tint to cover the window. My Camry was built at the Subura of America plant in Indiana.

The local Toyota dealership could possibly correct some of the issues, however from past experience with the dealerships body shop I'm better off driving a new Camry that looks like it has been in an accident.

After noticing all of the defects I decided to purchase a Toyota Extended Warranty from Jerry Johnson the Warranty Manager at Midwest Toyota in
    Hutchinson. He is a super nice guy and I saved about 50% on cost.
    edited March 2012
    My 2010 built in Kentucky had and has ZERO issues. I try to avoid the first of a new generation car built by anyone because of potential build quality issues. The good news is they are generally easy to repair, under warranty, and then you are good to go. But still annoying.
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    I just bought a new 2012 Camry XLE 4 cyl cosmic grey with grey leather, convenience pkg (BU camera), and entune/nav. Our MN dealer is one of the new no dickering dealers and while I was skeptical we paid $27,170 incl destination which was a few hundred under both true car and cosumer reports "great prices" vs $29,380 MSRP. Compared to other vehicles we looked at, this Camry had the best pricing for all except for the Kia Optima. This vehicle and the 3 other Camrys driven were all Indiana built so since this was a dealer trade from Wisconsin I suspect Indiana is the source for the upper midwest? Quality in 300 mis of driving is good and I plan to do some wax tests this afternoon in our crazy 80 deg MN late winter and will look over the paint close + we plan a fully loaded 200mi trip tomorrow for more mpg checks. So far I am amazed how much room the Camry has compared to our former 300M and with almost $4 gas am pleased getting almost 30mpg in town and measured a best case (flat road, no wind or AC) 40mpg this week on a 70mph 40mi freeway drive. We plan to keep the Camry 10 years and use it for road trips to see family 200mi away and for snowbird winter trips. I will say getting the 17" Mich Primacy highly rated (Tirerack.com) tires helped swing the deal vs cheaper tires all but the Passat used and our sales rep said they met with Toyota a while back to convince them buyers would pay more for better tires. In the past 10 days 5 of 6 XLE 4 cyl all sold too.

I did debate the extended warranty service contract since I have never done much more than break even on four Chrysler/Jeeps contracts even with employee pricing and Toyota's reputation is so good. I negotiated from the initial $2400 quoted for the 10 year/120k mi full coverage zero deductible down to $1575 which is fully refundable in the first 3/36 and then linear prorated refundable and $50 transferrable. I don't know if it's really employee price but my reference point is paying $1000 for an employee priced 04 Chrysler 300M full coverage (but $100 deductible) contract that only took an existing 7/70 engine/tranny warranty and added full coverage to 7/70. Additional details on my three weeks of car shopping vs comparative brands is on my post to the Prices Paid forum.
  • ttravis78ttravis78 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2012 Camry LE yesterday and I have a question about the USB port. Can I leave my iphone cord connected to the USB port all of the time and just connect the other end to my phone when I am in the car? I was wondering if the cord draws power from the car when the car is off and the cord is connected? I know it would be a little bit if true, but did not want anything drawing power off the battery when car is off.
  • dlin00dlin00 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2012 Camry SE weeks ago. It has only 400 mileage right now. Days ago I happened noticed that the Camry made a loud noise by itself when it was parking on my driveway. The car has been parked there for 5+ hours with key off and no one touch it When the noise happened. The noise seems come from the under the car on the rear side. It's pretty loud (sound as zzzzzz...)and last 5 minutes constantly then disappear itself. Last night the same thing happened again while the car parked inside my garage. Again it has been parked there for 6 hours with key off.
    Has anyone have similar experience with the 2012 carmy?
    Perfectly normal. My 2010 does the same thing. Your owner's manual will tell you that it is some kind of emissions check, I think. It is in the owner's manual, so you can get the details there.
  • dlin00dlin00 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot mcdawgg. I went back to check the owner's manual. It does mentioned that the sound caused by the fuel leakage evaporation checking. So looks like it's not a issue.
  • parsnipparsnip Member Posts: 4
    check your oil. I bought a new 2012 Camry 2 months ago. I heard odd noise in fact wasn't sure if it was in car or outside next day heard noise and took to local service station as red light came on for second then went off. It was a sun and dealer closed. I said to the attendant " can u please check my oil. A red light came on. I'm sure it's not my oil it's a brand new car. ". He dipped i "youre 4 qts low.".
  • parsnipparsnip Member Posts: 4
    I had almost identical problem although my red light only came on once. Car did stop dead night before when I was going about 4 miles an
    N hr in a parking lot. My car is Camry xle 2012 with 2500 miles!!! Went to gas station guy said 4 qts low! I was beyond upset. Car now at dealers. First time said they couldn't find anything wrong. Second time " piston not working right "
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    ref: 176
    Hard to believe 4 quarts low. So much for "dealer prep" nowadays. Are they saying the oil was consumed or never there?

Why so many quality issues on this NEW Camry? Is it the Subaru plant in Indiana that is the cause or something else? Inquiring minds need to know!
    I have a hard time believing 4 quarts low. On the 2.5L I4 engine, I think the capacity is 4.7 quarts, so that means there was next to no oil in the engine. If you were down to 3 quarts, or 1.7 quarts low, I would think that would be enough low to cause a low oil pressure light. But down 4 quarts? Sounds funny.

See what they say at Toyota Nation forums - no big quality issues that I know of.
  • mazerunnermazerunner Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2012
    I was recently involved in a car accident, so I've been looking at getting a new car. The 2012 Camry was on my list, so I visited the local Toyota dealer. Much to my surprise, ALL 2012 Camrys have automatic transmissions, even the SE models.

Seriously? I know that manual transmissions aren't exactly popular, but would it have killed Toyota to at least make 10% of their Camrys have stick shifts? I honestly can't believe a car that sells this well does not have a manual transmission. Very disappointed. I guess if I want a Camry with a stick, I'll have to find a used 2011 model or hold out hope that the 2013 model will bring it back.

I guess I'll have to look at an Accord or something else because I don't do automatics. Toyota, if you're listening, getting rid of a manual transmission on a car this popular is a very bad move.
    I completely agree about the manual transmission. I have a 2010 6 speed manual Camry.

I noted in 2009 when shopping for a manual, for BOTH the Toyota Camry and the Honda Accord, only about 2.5% of the new cars on the lots were manuals. I was using the Edmunds new car search for all dealers within 500 miles, and I selected new Accords and Camrys with manuals. For both cars, about 2.5% were manual, 97.5% auto. I also read somewhere recently that Honda was doing away with manuals.

When I found a dealer with my manual Camry, the sales guy told me that they don't sell well, sit on the lots for too long, and confirmed that only 2-3% were manuals. And that was in 2009. And he said it was not much better for Corollas and Civics, even though they are smaller, cheaper.

I can say that I really like my rare, 2010 manual Camry! I guess if I want another, I'd have no choice. The 2012 Camry is extremely nice, but if I was looking for a new mid-size right now, I would have to skip the Camry because of the lack of manual tranny. :sick:
  • bgfiveohbgfiveoh Member Posts: 1
    I heard the same thing on our new 2012 Camry LE. I believe it is the fuel pump cycling.
  • truckie4lifetruckie4life Member Posts: 56
    Did you ever get an answer to your question?

One way to find out, I guess, would be to turn the car off and then plug a phone in. If the phone starts charging, then I guess the cord would be drawing power (not trying to sound like a smart [non-permissible content removed]).
  • bankermom0807bankermom0807 Member Posts: 2
  • bankermom0807bankermom0807 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2012 Toyota Camry, there are times I try to accelerate and get either no or a sluggish response. I have had my car to the dealership 4 times and they can find nothing wrong.

I am a first time Toyota owner and am very unhappy.....Has anyone else had this problem???
  • yukigingeryukiginger Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if the net made for the 2011 model will fit the 2012? Many retailers online don't yet have one stated to fit the 2012. I'm wondering if there's any difference at all.

Thanks.
  • jph3006jph3006 Member Posts: 49
    Hi All:

Would it be reasonable to say the I4 car should be a softer ride while the V6 ride should be stiffer and tighter due to the higher HP?
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    My last crv was like that, step on gas to fast and hard and it won't move right away.

I find my 2012 Cambry le to have one of the best driveablities of any car I have every owned. Step on the gas and it goes.

My 2005 Escape was pretty good also.

The only thing I find fault with is the brakes, sometimes there is a lot of pedal play before the brakes engage, not always though. Mostly when the car is first driven. Somewhat disconcerting when coming off a Honda.

All and all a pretty perky engine and drive train.
  • circusclowncircusclown Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact problem and the dealer says there is nothing wrong. When I take off sometimes it does not have power but when I pump the pedal it takes off. Dangerous in heavy traffic trying to get out f the way. It must be a design thing. Do you have any suggestions?
  • luv4deoluv4deo Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone else have any problems cleaning the 2012 Camry Se Base Model just with Nav? Even hand prints on door or seats seem to sink in and no cleaner will get them up. The Doors seem to be very cheaply made and easily scratched but they just absorb stains or something. Anyone have ideas on a good cleaner, only had it a month and it already looks faded and not been in the sun. Really disappointed with this car, never had a car that you couldn't get simple finger prints up. Also does anyone know if there is rear seat protectors to help protect the vinyl seats from Car Seats?
    Hopefully everyone else has better dealings with their car. :mad:
  • wiseoldfartwiseoldfart Member Posts: 40
    Up to 1000 miles on my Camry LE. Perfect so far. Oil level reads full and oil is crystal clear. Gas mileage is pretty much in line with expectations. Glad I bought this car instead of a Sonata. Some people including Motor Trend are complaining about steering and gas mileage on their Sonatas. MT didn't like its sluggish 6AT, either.

Read the MT test on the Camry, Sonata, and Passat. The Sonata GLS they tested got 6.5 mpg less than the Camry LE. That's a lot! The Passat finished first, but it's also more expensive and less reliable than the Camry. It also lacked a couple features. VW's have had lousy long term reliability for decades. Expect nothing to change in that department. I'll never buy another VW. I'm positive I made the right choice in buying this new Camry. No buyer's remorse with my last three Japanese sedans.

The salesman at my dealer in North Naples, FL was great - no BS. He not only met my price with a 207k mile 1997 Maxima trade-in, I got a power driver seat thrown in with the deal. That's a $400 option. Glad I didn't insist on the manual seat because it lacks lumbar support. I find myself making more seat adjustments on long drives now. It's so much easier. Get the power seat.
    Absolutely check your oil! I checked mine on my 2012 LE 2.5 within 50 miles. It was full. I just checked it at 900 miles. It's still full and still crystal clear. The manual says you could use a quart every 600 miles. Using a quart every 1000 miles would still alarm me on a brand new car.

I read that Toyota gets its oil from Mobil and that Mobil 1 0W-20 full synthetic is the same stuff re-branded by Toyota, so I bought a 5-quart container of Mobil 1 0W-20 at WalMart.
    Everyone should check the oil at less than 50 miles. The dipstick should read full. Check it again at 500 miles and every 500 miles after. Reading the dipstick properly takes some getting used to because the oil is so clear. Dip and wipe several times.

To be safe, stop driving and call for road assistance if your oil light comes on. The last thing you need is for some grease monkey who can't read your dipstick properly to pour in three quarts when there's already that much in there.

My dipstick still reads full at 920 miles (2.5 I4). The oil is still crystal clear. That erases one big concern.

The manual says up to a quart could be used every 600 miles. I'd be upset if it started using that much every 1000 miles. The 1997 Maxima I traded in at 207k miles was still using only a quart of 5W-30 synthetic every 1000 miles.
    I just traded in a 1997 Maxima with 207k miles on it for a 2012 Camry LE 2.5 instead of the hybrid. It was a matter of price and availability. I bought the Maxima brand new 15 years ago and was pleased with it despite having to replace some expensive parts to keep it going. It was worth it. It never stranded me and always gave me plenty of warning when a part was wearing out.

The Camry gets better gas mileage on regular than my Maxima 3.0/5MT did on premium. It will do even better once it's broken in. I'm very pleased with this Camry. I can't find a thing wrong with it after 920 miles. My oil dipstick still reads full and the oil is still crystal clear. The 6AT is operating as programmed. It looks like Toyota finally got everything right on this new Camry.

Perhaps my next car will be a hybrid if I can get a decent deal on one. This one will do fine for several years.
    If you can, make sure doing so won't void any part of the warranty.
    Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. I had that problem on my old Maxima. I thought I had a bad tire. It was a wheel bearing. A new bearing quieted it right down.
  • jj2712jj2712 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    Hi,
    Did your tramline problem get resolve? I purchased Camry 2012 XLE and experiencing similar problem. I have Michelin Primacy on my car. No help from Toyota.
    Hi, Toyota said they know about the problem and working on it, but no resolution so far. So, I studied on my own and replaced the tires with
    Michelin Primacy MXM4. That fixed the issue. Michelin will replace the tires, but you may have to pay for installation. I learned my lesson. Never buy the first year car!
  • jj2712jj2712 Member Posts: 2
    My car already has Michelin Primacy MXM4 but still tramlines badly. Will call Michelin and see if they can help. Agree, should never buy car the first year.
  • ocbmwocbmw Member Posts: 31
    edited June 2012
    On the way to home from dealer, I noticed wind noise from left hand side of driver. Returned to dealer next day, they denied any excessive noise. Anybody has had luck with fixing the issue?
    Take a close look at your tires.... You have MXV4 not MXM4.

I had MXV4 and put on MXM4.
  • jimdrewjimdrew Member Posts: 84
    What is that? I have the 2012 SEV6....noticed no problem......