Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

All-New 2012 + Toyota Camry

Comments

• look4deal1look4deal1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to both replies.
    After reading more, it appears to me it's not worth of it.
  • adotadot Member Posts: 4
    any one got his for less ?
  • ky1234ky1234 Member Posts: 6
    Just purchased a 2012 Toyota Camry SE 4 cyl with entune/nav, convenience, sunroof and leather (MSRP $28,540) this weekend. Paid $25,579 sales price ($750 under invoice) + tax(KY 6%), title and processing. OTD was $27,646.24. Also got Toyota Credit financing for 1.5%!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2012 Toyota Camry who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 31, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You care sharing the dealership you got your car from ? might pick up mine there too!

thanks
  • bobthebbobtheb Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    I took a test drive of a 2012 Camry XLE tonight. Was a very nice car, about the same ride as 2011. When compared to an accord, the ride is softer but steering is looser. The cabin is very quiet. So far as performance the accelleration was very good for a 4 cylinder and transmission was very smooth.

The interior is a huge improvement over the 2011. I looked long and hard but that 2011 interior was boring. I think Toyota did a good job fixing this. Was very much an up to date interior.

It was a night drive and I very much like the updated colors of the drivers guages...very cool.

The stereo was ok, nothing to write home about. Nav was also OK.

Was not impressed with the exterior from the pictures but looked very nice in person. Color was silver. Unfortuanetly Toyota still has some ugly colors.

I am also considering a Maxima (no ugly colors).

Will definitley consider this vehicle for purchase.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Nice review...seems like it bests the Accord now as well as the Fusion & Sonata. Gonna be interesting to see what Honda does nest with the Accord...some say it's grown too large on the outside and I'll agree. The one we rented was great inside with plenty of room for the five of us but it felt like a full size car which I didn't like. They need to lop off about a 1/4 of it's current size and keep the current interior dimensions and then they'd have a winner. Time for mid sized cars to be just that...mid sized and not full sized!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• pb01234567890pb01234567890 Member Posts: 5
    I am planning to buy Camry 2012 XLE with convenience package.

Has anyone bought recently in Bay area, if you can share your experience that would be very helpful.

Thanks !!
  • ky1234ky1234 Member Posts: 6
    Beaman Toyota in Nashville, TN
  • mannygomannygo Member Posts: 9
    I am looking for a 2012 Camry XLE V6.

I do not want the nav. But seems like you have to buy the NAV when you buy the XLE V6. Atleast thats what my local salesperson told me.

Is that true ?
  • bkcassellbkcassell Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2011
    Just bought a silver Camry SE 2012 about a week ago. Love, love, love this car! Rides smooth, looks great. Got Convenience pkg, Display audio with navigation and Entune pkg, leather pkg, moonroof pkg, carpet floor mats, and back bumper scratch resistant applique for 28,395.00 OTD. Couldn't get them to take any less. Live in Central Illinois. We could have saved another 200.00 to buy at another dealership but would have to have driven 1 1/2 hrs there and back. Probably didn't get the greatest deal but am really happy with my Camry. By the way, wouldn't you think that floor mats would come with a new car?????
  • camryhybrid12camryhybrid12 Member Posts: 18
    Floor mats are additional $150 or so list, they do not come with the car. Some can come as all weather some can come to include trunk mats and even a trunk net. Yes it looks like a rip off, and it has a high margin of profit but this is how it is... i.e. all dealers do that. You can ask the dealer's invoice and you will see it on there from the regional distributor

Howeverm you can do a special order, within the trim you buy and the options packages for the trim and their conditions (e.g. cannot get leather without moonroof etc). Then you can select even a base trim without any options or even without any mats (which will have original Camry embedded in them). You may need to wait 4-6 weeks for that if no local or national dealer has what you want, but its possible.
  • amberlambamberlamb Member Posts: 6
    I currently have a deposit placed on a loaded XLE (including floor mats), for a silver car they should be getting in any day. southern california, The agreed upon deal is $50 under invoice, $200 more than the trucar deal I brought in- but that was for a dealer 128 miles away. I am reading people are getting 800-900 under invoice? should I hold out for a better deal? Total price out the door is 33357. My tax rate is .0725 and government fees are 349.785 (sometimes you just have to love cali). Good enough? Or try for better?
    getting my 28,000 out the door.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Most of the posts about pricing are in our Camry Prices Paid discussion. We like to keep most of that conversation over there rather than splitting it up between topics, so that members can find all of the pricing posts in one place for comparison.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mannygomannygo Member Posts: 9
    A V6 or a V4 ?
    What was invoice? The car i'm looking at has every option available.
  • maydepotmaydepot Member Posts: 1
    Bought a beautiful new 2012 Camry SE..... and just a couple of days later, the electric steering system completely failed while making a left turn and nearly got broadsided by a semi truck!!!!!!!!!!!

Had it towed to a Toyota dealer and they will call after diagnosing it.

I've had some unreliable cars but never in my life had one nearly kill me a few days in to ownership! Just glad it did not occur while on the freeway or else....

So do I have any recourse or am I stuck with this death trap? Obviously, I don't trust it anymore. Can I force Toyota to give me a different car?

I thought Toyota was all about safety now after the past couple of years. I guess I was wrong to trust it.
  • dmickelsondmickelson Member Posts: 4
    Would you please send me additional information concerning the Steering issue you claim.

I would like the dealer information so I may contact them and see what the defect was. This is of concern to me since I just purchased a 2012 Camry myself.

Thanks,

Dale
  • ypak1ypak1 Member Posts: 3
    Same issue here.

I bought the 2012 Camry SE and few days later, the electric steering system completely failed while making a left turn. Dealer still has the car for last 5 days and can't seem to get the part and/or fix the issue.

Having had 2007 Toyota Camry for 200K, 2012 Toyota Camry SE seems to be very unreliable. Is this pattern that we will be seeing ?
  • smittmikesmittmike Member Posts: 5
    Yes please post the name of the dealerships your cars are at. You're allowed to on Edmunds. I'm sure any of us considering an 2012 would like to get some more info.
    Here's update on the car:

I was told that there was a complete failure of the computer inside the car. They are waiting for the part to show up from Toyota to replace it.

If this is type of quality in 2012 Toyota Camry, it doesn't bode too well...
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Do they at least give you a rental car while waiting for the parts?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    If you read the warranty, yes, Toyota will give you a free rental if they have to keep your car for overnight or longer.

I know when the 2007 came out, which was the first year of the last generation Camry, they had some problems, but they were fixed under warranty. I see now that the 2007 Camry is quite reliable in CR and TrueDelta.

Anytime you buy the first of a new model year, even Toyota and Honda, you will get more trips to the dealer to get problems fixed. But it does not mean that the car will be terrible for the long run. Honda's new Odyssey, GM's Cruze, and Ford Fiesta just got very bad reliability rankings in the latest Consumer Reports, but I bet they will be better once the bugs get worked out.

I try to avoid a new model (the 2012 Camry is brand new) if possible, but I am sure it will get worked out soon. Could be just one batch of computers from their supplier that is bad. I would avoid the very first of the new generation of any cars, because this kind of thing is bound to happen. The 2012 being sold now are some of the first built, so if you have to have the newest of the new, then you should expect a few bugs that will have to be fixed.

Good luck, I am sure things will get worked out and you will be happy soon.
  • smittmikesmittmike Member Posts: 5
    Really? A "complete" failure of the computer insisde the car? I detect BS. I've delt with some honest dealerships before, but never one that honest. I also notice you have a commentary about Toyota at the end of each of your posts. Where did you buy your SE and what dealership is it located at now I'll ask again.
  • hecephecep Member Posts: 10
    I'm also detecting the whiff of a small furry whiskered mammal. If people can by the hundreds of thousands post critical reviews (at the plethora of online review sites) of a maker's product or service without having been sued for defamation (assuming that's their fear, however valid), then they should feel comfortable posting the name of the dealer who is merely handling the warranty repair, and without fear of retribution. The maker did not make the car. And it's the build of the car that's in question. Funny though: When I posted a request on Toyotanation for dealer info from maydepot (yes, he posted his "death trap" tale there also), one of the moderators there defended maydepot's silence on the matter. Then, after I made the same argument there as I did here, that same moderator got more than just a little defensive. What's going on here? Show me the last time a Car & Driver or Motor Trend reviewer go sued for effectively saying that a car stank up the road?
  • hecephecep Member Posts: 10
    Editorial correction to my previous post: "The DEALER did not make the car. " :)
  • clear1clear1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2012 Camry SE last Monday and so far driven about 375 miles. I got $1551 discount off the posted price, plus 0% for 60 months. So far I have not encountered any issues. By far the best Camry I have ever owned/driven. And I owned/driven all Camry's since 1987. Looks gorgeous too! :(
    Well, local Toyota dealer service person was lying about the issue. Service manager is now saying it was an issue with Power Steering ECU assembly (and not complete computer failure), and waiting for the replacement part from Japan. Don't know whether I could trust them. I will hold my judgement until the car gets fixed. It has spent more days in the dealership service department than being driven.
  • mrnadirmrnadir Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2008 VW Jetta which also has an electric power steering. Never had any problems with that. So much for "reliable" toyotas. I keep telling everyone, toyotas and hondas are just over-hyped. My 08 Jetta still drives like a new car while my accord has always had some strange un-fixable problem with it.
  • camry2012camry2012 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    I bought new 2012 Camry LE in October. After Driving for a week I noticed a weird sound coming in Driver Side Door(don't know exactly where it is coming from but only driver can hear it ) when driving on interstates.
    It sounds like a whistle, you need to pay attention to it, to hear that.

Took it Toyota dealership and complained on that. They said other cars on the inventory making same kind of noise. I drove a new car on their inventory to make sure, and it is making the same sound I complained about.

They turned down my complaint saying working as designed because other 2012 Camrys are making the same sound.

I drove few other cars Accord and Altima, they don't make that sound. Don't know how this is not found before releasing the product into market.

How can we inform this to toyota? Is there anything that can be done with this kind of issue?

Is anyone hearing this sound on their new 2012 camry?
    Yes, there is definitely a noise. I noticed this noise when I first test drove it, then I test drove another to make sure it wasn't just that car. It drove me crazy when I was test driving it but my husband said I wouldn't even notice it with the radio on and he's right. It comes from upper left drivers side middle (between the two doors) and it sounds like a whistle. Louder at 80 than 60 ect. I only notice it on the freeway. I had a VERY nice car before this one so I could find something wrong with all the cars in this price range. They all have a certain extent of noise compared with the pricer ones. Overall I am still pleased with my loaded XLE, and the 11 or older was off the table due to unexceptable interior.
    Well, one person with this problem makes some say "So much for reliable Toyotas?"

There are going to be problems with a new generation car, from ANY manufacturer. The question is how will the car hold up over the next 100,000 plus miles? So far, Toyotas, Hondas, even the first year of a new generation, are very reliable over the long haul. However, unlike the past, most new cars are very reliable from ANY manufacturer.

The only problem is there is no data, including personal experiences, CR, and TrueDelta, that can give you a perfect picture of what is a reliable car. Your best bet is to use as many data sources as possible to get that information, and if you do this, Toyota & Honda still beat VW & many others for overall reliability. However, some don't care about that - fortunately, we live in a free country so you can choose what is important to you.

It will be interesting to watch the 2012 Camry to see how it goes. Will it be better than the old one? At first, the 2007 had some problems, but they seem to have cured those - CR had the 2007 Camry rated pretty low reliability-wise for a few years, but now it is above average, indicating the problems were fixed. Other data sources show the same as CR.

Best wishes to all with the 2012s - my guess, it will be a great car. My 2007 & 2010 are great! Had a few minor issues with the 2007, all easily corrected under warranty, been perfect for years ever since.
    I would take it back to the dealer, or even a different dealer, and have them go on a drive WITH you, and make sure they hear the noise. This is a BRAND new model, so there could be a problem that is unknown right now. At the least, you will get the complaint in the database, and Toyota Corporate will look into it, especially if it is happening to more than just your car.

Hang in there!
  • camry2012camry2012 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for replying on that. The technician at the dealership, drove with me and noticed the same sound.

In addition to that I forgot to mention another sound that I am hearing - it is in the rear window on the passenger side.
    When there is a cross breeze on the interstate, it makes kind of humming noise in the window(sounds like a loose window glass shaking. But everything looks fine with the door/window). The technician has noticed that too on other new Camrys. We dont have this sound on the rear window on drivers side.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is interested in talking with parents who own a 2012 Volkswagen Passat, Mazda 3, Chevy Cruze Eco, Honda Civic Hybrid, Chevy Sonic, Honda CR-V, Toyota Camry and Toyota Prius V. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.
  • nynjbuyernynjbuyer Member Posts: 3
    It is my understanding that Camrys are packaged with different options depending on the region of the country. For example, here in the northeast it seems that all the SE V6 Camrys come bundled with the moonroof, leather seats and the convenience package. Is there a website that shows how cars are 'packaged' in different parts of the country?

Thanks
    Just use the Toyota.com website, and put in your location, and put in other locations. Or use Edmunds and put in different zip codes, and you can see how the cars are packaged. When I got my 6 speed manual Camry, they did not sell them in my region - I had to go a few hundred miles to a different region to get one.
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    My Maxima lease is coming up soon, so I looked at the 2012 Camry this weekend out of curiosity. It was a loaded XLE V6. The initial impression from the exterior is that of a small car, and a pretty boring one at that. It looks more of an update to the 2002 Camry than the previous bulbous generation.
    Hyundai, Kia and just about every other manufacturer must be laughing at Toyota's "latest". Heck, even the soon to be replaced Altima and Mazda 6 look and feel more upscale than this, and the Hyundai and Kia designs just blow it away.
    Nothing looks premium or particularly special in the Camry. I didn't like the interior either. The material quality appears better than the previous generation, but the dynamics and aesthetics are very truck-like. The blocky dashboard and segmented areas look like a pickup interior. Nothing special whatsoever and certainly nothing to suggest anything approaching a "cheap Lexus". Just a gussied-up middle-market car.
    I looked at the sticker and laughed... $33,000 !!!! No thanks, I'll keep my Maxima. I didn't even bother driving the Camry.
    As I climbed back into the sexy, sinewy, feline lines of my snickering Maxima, the Germanic-like thunk of the door and the high quality two tone cockpit interior with perforated leather seats felt several classes above the Camry, at around the same price.
    Boy, Toyota really lost it this time.. and to think, I used to drive Avalons.
  • vly1vly1 Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2011
    The interior of the XLE V6 2012 looks like a Ford product which is of low quality. I just brought a Toyota Camry 2011 XLE V6 for $25,000 OTD with 8.75% taxes included in New Orleans. I am surprised that the 2011 Camry XLE V6 was alot smoother than the 2012 Camry XLE V6. The ride quality for the 2012 was bumpy even when i corrected the tire pressure to factory setting at 33psi. The 2012 has a few more gadgets and a tighter turning radius but that it. The 2011 had a better quality build to it and the 2011 rides smoother than the 2012.

I really wanted to buy the 2012 Camry for the new look but the 2011 had a nicer ride.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    edited November 2011
    I'll bet the reliability of Toyota products blows away those of any VW product hands down. Every manufacturer will have some problem cars, especially with a first yer model, so to make any blanket statement is just idiotic! I'd bet the JD Powers reliability figures place Toyota way above VW and many other brands. Just to be sure, I did test drive a new Jetta SE a few weeks ago and it was just...well, o k. The interior is definitely decontented as compared to the last generation and it drove just like the Ford Focus I had driven an hour previously. But was not an impressive car in any area...my current Civic felt more peppy even with it's smaller engine!

Will definitely have the wife try the Jetta but just don't think we'll even consider a purchase...just don't trust any VW product. And coming from our super reliable Mazda, think we'll stick with a foreign brand again unless the new Buick Verano really blows our socks off...and hoping it does as I really love the looks of it, even more than the Elantra.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

My wife's 04 Sienna had similar issue with the left steering sensor, which caused the complete lost of steering. Was just out of warranty and cost $600+. The van has been OK since.
    I got only 25 MPG from my new 2012 Camry LE on 50%city+50%highway, though the highway is congested. It this normal? I do drive a bit "eager", but not like a maniac. I wonder if there is anything wrong with the car, or my driving.
    A "congested" highway, and 50% city, and "eager" driving? I'd say the car is fine.
    A 2004 Sienna had electric power steering, or hydraulic??
    Don't know either electric or hydraulic. But it's the sensor, which cost 600+.
  • ilexberryilexberry Member Posts: 1
    I just got my 2012 this weekend. Love the entune system, but you are right, it totally drains my droid's battery whether I am playing the music on my cell or not.

I have a Zune player rather than the ubiquitous ipod and it does not appear to be compatible except through the auxillary port, but I have to crank the volume up to the max because the sound is so weak. I read that the max number of files and folders it will recognize is 999. Since I have 12,000 songs on my Zune, that could be my problem.

Your best bet is to copy your favorite mp3s onto a jump drive and plug it into the USB port. I did this and it worked like a charm. Sound quality was excellent. If your music is on the Cloud, just make sure your phone is plugged in to the charger to keep the batteries going.
  • jesmaeiljesmaeil Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem. boughat 2012 Camry SE on Nov 21 and very weird noise comiong from driver side top corner.
    took it to dealership and they said they can hear nothing. for them there is no noise. took it to another dealership they said there is no noise. have no idea what to do. for sure this is my last Toyota ever. Toyota quality is not the same as before they go for quantity rather than quality. very disapointed.
  • astra3astra3 Member Posts: 1
    Is weird noise coming from driver side a common issue for all 2012 Camry models? Is it really annoying?

Want to buy 2012 LXE. Please, help.
  • shawn68shawn68 Member Posts: 8
    I have had 3 other Camry. All have been great, soft ride and road friendly.
    My 2012 Camry SE 4, has a very stiff ride and also it "tramlines", follows the grooves of the road. I have never had this with my other Camry.
    Is anyone else experiencing this?