Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn ION Power Steering fail

kman_nckman_nc Member Posts: 7
edited September 2019 in Saturn
I have read the many blogs..streams..and complaints about the same "power steering" failure I experience every time I drive my junk ION. I have also read there is repair compensation via GM for models less than 10 years old and less than 100,000 miles. My question is, is there any cost relief if it has over 100,000 miles? Mine had close to it when I bought it and it didn't start until after it had gone over 100,000. Between the ignition passlock problem when it's cold and the power steering failure when it's hot... I will NEVER EVER buy anything Saturn or GM again. This is by far the worst piece of junk I have ever owned.. and I used to LOVE Saturns. Thanks for the time.

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    kman_nc,
    I apologize for your frustrations. If you would like I can set up a case for you with GM Customer Assistance. They will evaluate your situation. If you would like to proceed with this please email me your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage and I will get that started for you. Hope this helps.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • kman_nckman_nc Member Posts: 7
    So I got nothing helpful from GM...nada. Too bad Saturn couldn't have stayed out of GM's clutches. They were much better cars before they were "absorbed". I have 2 other friends/acquaintances that have had to fix either the power steering or the passlock/switch. Ions... AVOID these cars at all cost.Worst car I've ever owned in my 46+ years of living...bar none. If you want to buy a plastic car...go to Toys-R-Us.
  • bellakat41bellakat41 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    The power steering keeps sporadically going out on my '05 Saturn Ion. When I restart the engine, the power steering will work fine for awhile, then will cut out again, sometimes after just minutes, other times, after a couple of days. I read on one of the earlier posts that GM was offering some kind of compensation to have this power steering issue fixed on the 2005 Saturn Ions as long as the car was less than 10 years old and had less than 100,000 miles. Could you please advise on this issue as I am taking my car to the mechanic tomorrow for this same issue?
    I started this post about the power steering..but that is just the tip of the iceberg. To this point this is the story with my Ion.
    A - the power steering assist is basically non functional - manual steering 98% of the time.
    B - the car may or may not start because of the switch and/or passlock sensor.
    C - the car will no longer go in reverse.

The car is paid for and I refuse to sink any more money in the black hole, so I will make it work til the wheels fall off...which I anticipate will not be long. My kids will no longer ride with me if they can help it. DO NOT EVER BUY THIS CAR. And this comes from someone who has owned 2 other Saturns and LOVED THEM. GM ruined this fine brand.
    bellakat41,

Could you please email me your VIN and current mileage? We would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • fstcrzfstcrz Member Posts: 4
    I agree with this message. I have a 2005 Saturn Ion and bought it brand new in 2005. I've had problems almost from day one. These cars are junk and no wonder Saturn went out of business. I had to pay for the power steering problem which GM told me it was going to take a $1000 to fix. I finally had it fixed and was compensated a few months later when they finally recalled the steering module. I have replaced the ignition control module 3 times. The first time when the car was only a year old. The other two were out of my pocket and GM told me there was nothing they could do since it wasn't under warranty. Even though I showed proof the car was having this problem often. The car would run great and the next day I would go to start and it would be barely run and used a lot of gas. Now for the last year I have been having a problem with the car not starting. For example, I shut the car off to check the mail and when I got back into start it Nothing. I would have lights, dashboard function, radio worked but the engine won't turn over. My research is telling me as GM puts it "a glitch in the alarm system." Apparently the computer thinks its being stolen even though I'm using the original keys. I have to wait 10 minutes before it will start again. Oh and by the way this will be another $600 fix and GM has no intention of recalling the ignition module problem or the anti theft glitch. I've made 3 bad decisions in my life. The first 2 wives and buying a Saturn. If someone wants to start a campaign to get these items recalled I would be glad to help.
  • fstcrzfstcrz Member Posts: 4
    Bellakat41,

After years of driving my car like you did I GM finally recalled this issue. I didn't wait for GM and paid for it myself and then after they recalled it I sent in my receipts and the paperwork they made me fill out. A little while later they reimbursed me. I'm having a lot of problems with my 05 Saturn that repeatedly happens after I get it fixed. I bought the car brand new and wish I never did. Contact a GM dealer or GM customer service and they will help you. Unfortunately they won't help out with other myriad of problems I and a bunch of other Saturn customers are having. I will be at the front of the line letting people know what kind of car they are buying if Saturn starts to sale again.

I hope this helps. fstcrz
    fstcrz,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your complete contact information, including mailing address, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • outnumberedoutnumbered Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issues with my 2005 Saturn Ion Quad Coupe power steering as everyone else here. My car has less than 67000 miles. My power steering warning light came on once, two weeks ago. When I started the car again the car, the problem was fixed. I assumed it was a gliche so I didn't worry. On Monday the power steering failed twice, again, luckily it came back after turning off my car and starting it up again. I am very concerned that the steering will go out on me. Please advise.
    Unfortunately, I'm afraid your problems are only just beginning 'outnumbered'. This mechanical marvel will deteriorate faster than old bread I fear. I mean half the car is made out of plastic. As I see it.. next problem up will be your passlock sensor. Then pray your tranny doesn't start going bad. I can't remember what it's like to have both power steering AND reverse gear. Call me spoiled
    Outnumbered,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having this power steering concern with your Saturn. Please email us with your name and VIN so we can look into any open safety recall information on your vehicle and can start researching how we can be of further assistance to you.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rickb41rickb41 Member Posts: 3
    Today I received the PwrStr message on my 2005 Saturn Ion. I was at a stop light when it came on and I did not have Power steering after that. When I stopped at Autozone to get power steering fluid I found out that I have an electric power steering in this car. I bought the car brand new Dec 7 2004. It will not start(will not turn over in cold weather) since I've had the car. I've had the ignition switch changed twice. And now this. I found out that GM was suppose to send out letters to Saturn Ion customers regarding this problem but I never received this letter. The time frames in the letter I found online states with in 10 yrs or 100,000 miles. Well I'm over the 100K mile mark by 1244 miles. Had I known Aug/Setp 2010 when GM was suppose to send out the letters, I would have had the electrical system checked.
    Is there ANYTHING GM/Saturn can do for me with this problem? I do not have 1100 bucks to spend on this faulty electric system.
    I've had the same problems with the starting from the 1st year I had the car. I do had the ignition switch changed twice. It only does it when it's cold out. But I'd go in on the campaign to get it fix!!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Rickb41,

Thank you for posting, and I would like to see how we could assist, though I cannot make any guarantees up front. If you’re willing, I’d like to request you to email us with your name and contact information as well as your VIN and involved dealership.

Looking forward to working with you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I have sent an email to customer service. Thank you for responding here. I hope there is something that can be done. I'm unemployed and a full time college student.

I called the dealership today and they wanted a 100 bucks just to take a look at it.
  • btochbtoch Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar problem with my 2005 Saturn Ion. The power steering stopped working, the speedometer stopped working (it remains at 0 regardless of my speed), also the odometer doesn't seem to work either - my mileage does not increment when I drive. There is an engine diagnostic code of P0502.
    I saw posts from 2007 Saturn Ion owners who say that they received letters from GM in 2009 to have this problem fixed under warranty but why didn't I get a letter in 2009? GM and the NHTSA have apparently been aware of this and "watching" the problem for a couple of years now - it's GM's responsibility to fix this since they didn't forewarn me and encourage me to get this fixed back when they were made aware of the problem.
    Amen to all who are posting here. Luckily this post thread is high on google search lists for these problems. This car...this brand...is CRAP from the day GM took it over. I just despise the fact I'm stuck in one of these traps until I get something else in about 4 months. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE CARS!! Doesn't matter what it looks like (mine was NICE looking)... or what it drives like when you test (mine drove great)...it is a future problem on wheels!!! It's a black hole with your money!! :lemon:
    Btoch,

Thank you for getting in touch with us about this. If we can assist you in working with your dealership towards resolving this concern, or look into warranty/recall information on your vehicle, please email us with your name, user name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership.

Thank you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • conner11conner11 Member Posts: 3
    I have my 2005 Saturn Ion. what is it with them? I love my car so much but the past week the power steering goes out for no reason while I am usually on the freeway. I have been reading and it seems that it happens often. Is there a recall on this at all? Well.. There goes my families Christmas. Pretty unhappy right now
    We can look and see if there is a recall on your vehicle. Please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Thanks Sarah. My GM dealer took care of it. It was a recall.
    Excellent! Please don't hesitate to get in touch if we can ever be of service.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gramiejamiegramiejamie Member Posts: 1
    OK, add my 04 Saturn Ion with 57000 miles to this incredible list. PWR STR warning light came on, and there was no power steering! Changed fuses for temporary fix, but steering still cuts off. I've been reading these blogs and wonder what can be done to remedy this problem BEFORE someone gets killed. I just turned 63 years old and can't muscle a car with no steering! Hey, GM Customer Sevice, where are you? This is a manufacturers defect. Hoping Sarah or someone from GM Srevice will assist me. Will post results. Thanks
    I took mine in and there is a recall "type" My Saturn dealer ( GM) took care of it. If you have under 100,000 miles on your Saturn they will replace the power steering column free of charge. You should call your local dealer. I had mine taken care of at the GM dealer ( I think it was GM ) on River Road in Puyallup.
  • vmccusavmccusa Member Posts: 3
    I'm having the same problem with my 2006 Saturn Ion. Occasionally when i'm driving on the Interstate and sometimes when i'm driving around town and turn a corner my Power Steering light will come on and I will lose my Power Steering and it becomes very difficult to move the steering wheel. I was reading that GM was extending the warranty to 10 years 100,000 miles....is this true? How do I find out if I qualify for that?
    We can look into the coverage on your specific vehicle if you were to send us an email with the last 8 digits of your VIN.
    Look forward to hearing from you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • vmccusavmccusa Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Sarah....I emailed you my VIN :-)
  • ksg3ksg3 Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2006 Saturn Ion that is having and has had power steering problems for quite some time. Unfortunately it now has over 100,000 miles and we had problems before the mileage was over but we had no idea there was a recall.We purchased the car used and I am very upset and disappointed to find out now that there is a recall , we have changed fuses which we were told was the problem, and now are told it is gonna cost 900.00 to change everything.Is there any way we can get some help with this?
    Well I started this thread to A) try to get some relief from GM in repairing a problem they knew they had... and B) give other people a forum to see this car is JUNK. My 05 Ion just died. It already had the steering problem, no reverse gear, and pass lock sensor / ignition problem.... well before I cld sell it the timing belt just went. So the lovely carcass is in the driveway waiting for the junk yard wth highest bid to pick it up. Love love LOVE my new VW Jetta and the quality of craftsmanship. Good luck to any and all that are battling the failure known as a Saturn Ion. I fear you will all need it
    Good morning ksg3,

I apologize for a somewhat late response - I have been out of the office since Friday. If you haven't done so already, please send us an email at the address located in my profile with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership). We will then look into any available options, however I cannot promise anything up front.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Hi, I tried to email you and it wont go through.

Thanks ,ksg3
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you copied & pasted the email address from here, make sure the @ sign is there. Our system turns the @ sign into an image instead of text - it can create errors like this when doing copy/paste, but it also keeps the spammers from harvesting email addresses.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Thats not it , but im still not getting through
    Good morning,
    I believe I did see an email from you come through - my coworker Christina, who answers incoming emails from the forums, will be advising you further.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • rokcneyrokcney Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have been following this forum on the Saturn Ion's power steering issue, and would like to know how to get in touch with Sarah at GM to see about getting this issue resolved. I believe this car falls in the parameters of the warranty,and will forward the Vin. No. if someone could tell me where to send it to. Thank You very much for any help. Rokcney 03/27/2012
    Good morning rokcney,

We'd be happy to check that out for you - send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with the last 8 of your VIN and your request of recall check (I don't answer inbound emails -- that's up to my wonderful coworker Christina, who will help you out).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    An automotive organization would like to speak with used car buyers who bought cars that they later found out were not up to date on recall repairs. If you are willing to discuss your experience, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than 10 a.m. Pacific /1 p.m. Eastern Friday, April 20, 2012 with your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• marsch7marsch7 Member Posts: 2
    Thought I'd let ya'll know the latest about the POWER STEERING problems with the 2005 Saturn Ion: I've been looking for RECALLS regarding the powersteering on my car.

I FINALLY found some information at:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/index.cfm

It's a sight called SAFERCAR.GOV

This was listed as a Service Bulletin and in May 2012 they EXTENDED the time limit to 10 yrs or 150,000 miles! Good news for those of us who've had their car awhile.

I'm going back and see if there are any more for the same car. Maybe I can get most done in one shot...???
  • marsch7marsch7 Member Posts: 2
    Rick, as of May 2012, they extended that service for power steering to 150,000 miles. Check it out...
  • djquindjquin Member Posts: 1
    I have read a lot of bad stuff on here. This is a new problem for me. "06" Ion.... I easily got the info from GM about the Pwr Str going out. Obviously this is a common problem. It is called an extended warranty not a recall. Last month at just under 70,000 mi PS went out. not at a high speed. the book tells u how to reset it but doesnt work. It is always back up when I restart the car. Goes out within 10 mins. Under 10 years in service or 150,000 mils it will be repaired at no cost. I called the GM dealer and it didnt seem to be anything new to them. Just an hour or so to do the repair. i will be taking it in next week. Hopefully I will not be back on here with a negative story.
    Looking forward to an update, djquin. Hoping that all goes well!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    edited May 2014
    Good luck with it. I started this string a long while back. You're lucky enough to fall under the guidelines they've set forth on a car issue that was a mechanical/engineering FAIL! I would have gladly fixed my own PS problem, but the car was a piece of [non-permissible content removed] and EVERYTHING was starting to fail when it died altogether. Luckiest day of my life. I sold it on Craigslist for what I could get, bought a loaded Kia Optima Limited (like the commercial) and am loving life!!!! You don't realize what junk this car is until you get a nice one. Let them fix it... then sell it while you can!!! Just my advice
  • hazeleyes57hazeleyes57 Member Posts: 2
    The car is a 2007 Saturn Ion. It ran fine and now the power steering goes out until I restart the car. It has manual steering. I ought it used and the dealer said they can't fix it and I have to go to a GM dealer to have the codes read. Can someone tell me what to do?
    hazeleyes57,
    Let us know if you need assistance locating a GM dealership in your area to get this checked into. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and ZIP code with your inquiry).
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • mailinglizmailingliz Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 Saturn Ion Sport Coupe has 103,000 miles on it. I just started having the problems with the power steering and was having it checked out by mechanics who obviously did not do their research. I was told the air conditioning cuts in to the power steering when parking so it wouldn't be a problem. Bogus. It cut out on me multiple times on the highway. I love my car. I do not have the money to replace the parts myself and I find this highly unfair, please help me keep this car!
  • lvick1lvick1 Member Posts: 1

Hi, I have a 2005 Ion coupe. I think it has around 108,000 miles. I just had a problem with the power steering this morning. Should I attempt to drive the car to a dealership for repair or should I have it towed? Also, I know that it has been asked before but not sure that I saw any information on whether or not there is any relief in the cost for cars that have over 100,000 miles.

• tarvinlortarvinlor Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my girlfriends Saturn intermittent power steering lose alone with lose of power and won't shift

Hey tarvinlor,

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend's vehicle. Has she considered taking her Saturn into the dealership for an inspection? Please have her email us at socialmedia@gm.com with her VIN, mileage, full contact information and zip code if we can look further into this matter.

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care

@tarvinlor said:
    I'm having the same problem with my girlfriends Saturn intermittent power steering lose alone with lose of power and won't shift

• dowagerolsondowagerolson Member Posts: 1
    So... Horror stories abound, i suppose. Here's mine. I bought a 2005 ion last week Friday from a locally owned used car dealership. Was originally looking at a 2003 monte carlo (should have gone with that... ). Drove it for 8 days before it died out at a stop sign luckily on a side street with little to no traffic. No warning, no weird sounds or warning lights on dash display before this incident. Was three blocks away from home. It just died. Tried to start it again to no avail. Could still use power windows, lights, and radio. It displayed pwr str message when turned to acc but wouldnt turn over or shift into neutral nor would it take a jump. Had to have it towed out of the street and had it towed to the used lot that sold it to me. The place that sold it to me did NOT tell me about the active recalls on the vehicle. I called my local gm dealer this morning and they informed me that two of the three recalls had already been "repaired" on my vehicle and that only the power steering recall still needed to be adressed. Gm dealer told me they would fix the pwr str recall free of charge but thry would have to charge me for diagnostics and whatever else to address other problems. Called the dealer i got it from and left a message asking if they could return my call and said that I'm concerned for my daughters and my own safety in this vehicle. No call back. Called again and was scolded for calling back in a matter of ten minutes. Then was told they will call me back with new info when they have it and hung up on me! Nevermind that i called immediately after this happened on saturday and was told the owner would be calling me and it is now Monday and i had to call them! Needless to say, im infuriated!! Have always been a chevy/gm loyal person in the past, but this... This whole experience flushes that down the toilet. I don't even know what to do at this point. Husband leaves today at 3 pm to go out of town on business until friday. Any advice? I realize this is an old forum, but I'm desperate at this point. 
  • Mommascheel02Mommascheel02 Member Posts: 1
    So how do I fix the electronic power steering if it is no longer under this recall (it's an '03) the car won't even start now.