Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC60 Questions and Comments

mscar54mscar54 Member Posts: 17
I'd like feedback from owners of the XC60 on how you like your vehicle, particularly as contrasted to other vehicles you've owned. I'm researching this model for potential purchase, but have not test driven it yet. I currently own a 2008 Infiniti EX 35, which will become my daughter's car very soon, and I'll be looking for another.

Any and all comments and suggestions (likes, dislikes, features, etc.) are appreciated.

Comments

• rkurlanderrkurlander Member Posts: 58
    I'd give it an A- and a solid recommendation. I own a 2011, 3.2 (no need for turbo), premium, convenience, pcc, multimedia. Took delivery in mid-February after ordering in mid-December. 8,000 miles to date. The only negative is the quirky sensus system. You need to press the "on" button a certain way or it doesn't respond, and the system is overly complicated. I would consider this a minor irritation. MPG is better than advertised @ 21 city/27 highway on regular gas. Vehicle is very solid with excellent road feedback. Impressive Pirelli tires. "Safe and Secure" 50,000 mile/6 year warranty and maintanance is a big plus. I've had no warranty issues. It's only been in for one service visit - its first oil change (free) @ 7,000 miles. Consumer Reports notes that Volvo reliability is the best of all European brands.
  • mscar54mscar54 Member Posts: 17
    I appreciate your reply. Why do you say that you don't need a turbo?
    3.2 has plenty of power, turbo isn't worth the extra $ IMO.
  • juxtajuxta Member Posts: 44
    edited July 2011
    (oops, this should be a reply to the original post, not rkurlander's post)

I like mine - a fully loaded 2011 T6 - but I'm biased of course. My wife got a 2011 Audi Q5 right before I got mine so I can compare those - but really any decision is going to come down to price and the test drive.

Compared to the Q5, I got more options with a slightly less overall refinement. I believe this still holds true for the 2012 models.

A comparably equipped Q5 (with BLIS, adaptive cruise control, keyless entry and push button start) was about $9 more. While the XC60 has more HP and torque, the Q5 has a quieter ride (engine and road noise are perhaps 30% less, wind noise above 60 MPH seems to be half as much).

The Q5 has a standard subwoofer (unavailable for the North American XC60 *grumble*), the Q5 automatic tailgate opens/closes twice as fast with much less noise (1/3 as loud as the XC60), the Q5 doors close with a heavier more sturdy feel and seal, and the Q5 moon roof is about 12" longer.

The XC60 tail lights are awesome and distinctive, while the Q5 has well-done and distinctive LED front running lights. Also the XC60 has an edge over the Q5 with the factory warranty and included maintenance.

But even if I wanted to pay more for the Q5, I don't like the body style as much as the XC60. Also, the controls for the entertainment/nav system are a bit more difficult to operate on the Q5.

I work from home so I don't drive much. I wanted a stronger engine for more acceleration and I like the low end torque, which gives better acceleration from a start than the Q5. I've had mine for 5 months now and it's got 1401 on the odometer, so I don't care about gas mileage and gas prices.

My issues with the XC60 are slight and mainly deal with refinement. For a luxury vehicle I expected more, and if things could be changed I would want, in order: 1) a quieter and faster automatic tailgate, 2) less wind noise at 60+ MPH, 3) less road noise when going over bumps in the road, 4) a subwoofer (standard or optional), and 5) fewer plastic parts, especially those at the bottom of the doors - the R-design paint-at-the-bottom look should be on all vehicles with maybe an option to have the current plastic at the bottom of the doors as scuff protection.
    I appreciate these replies very much. I test drove the 2011 XC60 turbo this afternoon, as well as an Infiniti FX 35, and like the ride and pickup of the Volvo much more. The Infiniti was equipped with many more bells and whistles, which of course, made it several thousand dollars more expensive.

I haven't investigated this further, but noticed that this Volvo's sunroof interior slide cover was made out a mesh-like material. Is this true on all the models? Does anyone know if this allows unwanted sun rays in on the driver?

This model, too, had just the basic stereo system in it, but I took along a CD and had a listen. I felt that it was plenty o.k. for my uses. The comment about wind noise above 60 mph gives me pause, and truly, I did not drive it very long at high speed. I really do like a quiet ride and will have to take do another interstate test drive at high speeds to check it out.

The Volvo salesman gave me the speil about the XC60's being their hottest car, and indeed, the one I drove was one of only two on the lot. While I know the 2012's are just around the corner, has anyone felt that they were unable to negotiate a good price on their XC60 due to its high demand?
    edited July 2011
    The sunroof mesh is an excellent feature which you don't have to use. It absorbs much of the heat and diffuses the light.

No issue here with wind noise above 60 mph.

Premium sound system is noticably better. Forgot to mention in previous post that my XC60 has AWD which works great. Save $ by not buying turbo.

The deal is certainly negotiable, especially if ordered vs. inventory. That would require 2012 at this point. I believe my deal was right around invoice per Edmunds.
    I bought one locally. I'm very excited! I'll tell more in the "prices paid" thread. Thanks for the replies.
    "The comment about wind noise above 60 mph gives me pause, and truly, I did not drive it very long at high speed. I really do like a quiet ride and will have to take do another interstate test drive at high speeds to check it out. "

This wind noise is compared to an Audi Q5 though! It is much more quiet than a typical car. Personally I think it could be improved to be at the level of an Audi. (Of course, all around I'd take my XC60 over the Q5 any day. I'm happy with my decision).

Glad you got one. I would have loved to get mine off the lot. Enjoy!
  • idmdidmd Member Posts: 23
    Just bought a 2011 XC60 R-Design but haven't had much time in it. I'm coming from an Acura TL SH-AWD. The TL is super solid, drives like a dream, really sporty yet I never formed any real attachment to it. Too much science....not enough passion? I chose the XC60 because I wanted the utility of a crossover (not hauling sheets of plywood but like the increased room) and went with the R-Design for the looks and the slightly sportier feel and handling.

I have lots of family members with Volvos and while not the least reliable vehicles ever after 70K they all pretty much have spent some time at the shop. I think things are getting better with reliability but I'm anticipating more issues over the course of ownership compared to my Acura. That said the 5yrs/60K maintenance program and the fact I drive less than 10K per year means this thing will be under warrantee and the maintenance program the entire length of the loan. This means I'm not all that worried about my anticipated decrease in reliability. But who knows I could be pleasantly surprised.

Only time will tell. So far I like the car. This early into ownership all I can say is:

Pros: Great looks, sporty styling, nice handling for a crossover if you like a stiffer/sportier feel.

Cons: Going into this glass half empty with respect to reliability.

I'll update this thread as I get some more miles under my belt.
    I've been tardy in responding to this thread (which I started.) I, too, bought a 2011 XC60, turbo edition, and have been thinking about what I should post regarding the vehicle. I'm coming from an Infiniti EX35, which I did like, but in the end, was just too small. I really like the size of the XC and the ride is very smooth, although I have noticed some wind noise as mentioned earlier in this thread by another responder. It's not troublesome, however, and because there are features on this crossover that I did not have on the EX, I'm generally pretty satisfied (like the electronic closing hatch.) My biggest issue has been with the Blooth tooth phone system....for some reason, it drops the microphone capability with my cell phone. I hear the phone ring through the sound system, but the caller cannot hear me, nor me hear the caller, unless I'm on the hand set. I've taken it in to the dealer's service department, but the service people are just as bewildered as I am! I have upgraded the phone's software via Motorola's web page, and the service people say that the car has the latest software version installed. It bothers me that a car that cost 40 something thousand dollars has this problem. Having had an Acura (TL, as a matter of fact) and the Infiniti prior to this car, with no blue tooth problems, I'm miffed about this issue. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that no other little "issues" arise. All-in-all, I like the car fine, especially the ride and the room.
    edited September 2011
    As I drove my 2010 TL for the last time I got into an argument with it. I said, 'Dial ######### and it said, "Passenger temperature down". I tried again and this time it responded with, "XM station 200". Finally I scream at it and it said, "Driver passenger temperature down". For me the voice recognition was horrible. The Bluetooth calling always worked with my iPhone but if I had it plugged in to USB the system would randomly switch from the USB to Bluetooth streaming (which I wasn't using) and the sound would go silent. I'd have to go into my phone, tell it to use the USB again and no doubt the car would switch it back again.

I think most BT issues are a combination of phone/car/software compatibility issues. You would have thought iPhones being so popular Acura would have made sure there was compatibility. Well they did at the time the car was manufactured based on the available software at the time. These issues would come and go with software updates to the phone. Interestingly my phone worked flawlessly with my wife's Pilot. There's nothing Acura or Volvo can do if I manufacture breaks compatibility with an update other than notify the manufacture and hope they fix it. That gets prioritized and if there are 6 million more important things Motorola may be slow to react. There just isn't enough standardization ATM. This issue MAY have nothing to do with Volvo......
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    Love our XC60. Bought it when it first came out, fully expected I'd just trade the XC70 for another XC70. 24 months later, I have absolutely no regrets. In fact, I'm so happy with the car that I just bought it out of its lease, saw no reason to deal with that question in another year. It's solid, it handles well, it's got a great engine (T6) with terrific acceleration.
  • pawlybaulspawlybauls Member Posts: 8
    edited September 2011
    I just received my 2012 XC60 T6 last week from Volvo's OSD program. I have been driving it every chance I get and am loving every minute of it. I am really glad that I opted for the Dynamic package. The active dual Xenon bending lights are brilliant, but the best option is the 4-C Chassis.
    With Comfort mode selected you can hardly feel a bump. Cornering is this mode does produce a "floaty" feeling from the loose suspension though.
    I drive mainly in Sport mode when the road condition is decent. This has an excellent blend of shock support and stiff suspension for turns, lane changes and cornering.
    The Advanced mode almost makes you forget that your in a CUV with a 9 inch ground clearance. I can take corners and 270 degree highway exits faster and smoother than I can with my S40 sedan! There is a noticeable difference in shock absorption in this mode, but not enough that bumps will rattle your teeth.
    Switching between the modes while driving couldn't be easier and is conveniently located near the gearshift nob.
    I haven't tested the Speed sensitive steering yet, I am using it on the medium setting right now. The steering wheel response at highway speed is sufficient for darting between lanes. At lower MPH, like about 40, it seems a little to sensitive though. At low parking speed the variable power steering seems really loose at the medium setting and takes a full steering wheel rotation to get a 90 degree turn.
    So here's my review of my 2011 XC60 R-Design after living with it for a little while. These are my current perceptions (some of which maybe incorrect and I may simply not know how to do something so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Exterior: Great looking car. IMHO one of the best (if not the best) small CUV on the market today especially in R-Design trim where they've managed to make it look sporty but not cheesy (thinking about the poor GMC Acadia Denali here).

Interior: Typical Volvo design. The dash always seems down and a away from you and the seating height high. I feel the same in the XC90 - it's more like sitting on top of rather than cocooned in the vehicle. Nice material. Already have one legit squeak and the surface the passenger side seat belt naturally hangs next to is hard and makes noise over bumps. Sensus is a mixed bag as is the Nav. Lots of menus. Multiple ways of doing the same slightly different thing (ex. pressing sound for basic audio options vs navigating through Sensus to adjust audio. Why can I only turn surround sound on/off through the Sound button and not through Sensus with all the other audio options?). Just seems like things could be more organized. More importantly HOW DO I CANCEL THE NAVIGATION? Needs a quicker way of getting to things like cell phone presets. The nice thing about the system is it's reasonable responsive and the graphics are nice. Once you learn which of the 10 menus something is in it's easier to navigate. Lastly, it would be nice to be able to have the navigation screen show radio/iPod information across the top. As far as I know you have to switch screens if you want to know any information about Sat/iPod/Radio when you're looking at the NAV screen.

Audio: I have the Premier Audio system which isn't bad but it needed a lot of tweaking. I'm coming from an Acura with the ELS system which is the best OEM audio I've every heard. When I first got the XC is sounded horrible. Every live song played through my iPhone resulted in HUGE amounts of bass drum distortion at even medium volume levels. Songs recorded in studio less so. I had to adjust the EQ on the iPhone to "Reduced Base" and turn Surround Sound OFF. Now the system sounds very good at all volume levels and all songs.

Power train: Sweet engine. AWD is adequate so far. Still getting used to a non-SH AWD system that is mostly FWD torque steer and all. Transmission is smooth although "Sports" most manual shifts are only semi-manual. If you mash the throttle in manual mode it will downshift all by itself anyway. It would be nice to allow a complete and fully manual mode.
  • myobmyob Member Posts: 53
    10 months into an '11 XC60 T6 R design we've had zero issues. No wind noise problem at all. It's a lot quieter than the Infiniti G35 we had before, and smoother riding than a BMW 328i w/o sport package, despite what some reviews claim (they're likely used to Volvo squishy soft).

Grip is excellent, but steering does suffer from the numb and light steering. You can tell it could do a lot more if they gave you more feedback through the wheel. Drives like a sedan, not a crossover. Visability is good, comfort excellent, and the best feature is that the cargo area is large for the class and the seats fold fully flat. Power is excellent for this sort of vehicle, very smooth. Trottle tip in from a stop is a little on/off, wanting to either go slow or fast, but very manageable.

Dealership experience was top notch, they even offered a loaner for a basic oil change/inspection. According to another website I go to that tracks reliablity based on actual user reports '11's have been exceptionally trouble free, with '10's having a few more problems but nothing bad.

It is an excellent trip vehicle and also great around town. Not too big or too small.

Fuel economy is 20.9 mpg in hot weather short trips for errands (including idling waiting on the wife in the summer sometimes) with mostly rural 35-45 mph driving.
    On 77mph avg highway trips I was pleasantly surprised to get 24 mpg (winter, no hills) vs the rated 22.

Units built mid '11 model year on have a better information screen with full color.

For those who prefer utility, reliability, styling, and comfort to max handling this is the choice in its class. The R design is stiffer and more buttoned down than the standard XC60. For better steering or max fuel economy you might prefer the X3 or Q5. Just be prepared for a few more headaches.

We've owned BMW, Saab, and Infiniti vehicles and overall for us the Volvo is the best combination of performance, utility, safety, and reliability. We also like that Volvo doesn't seem to carry the class warfare baggage like other brands.
    I am always glad to see these positive responses from owners. My own XC60 now has about 3300 miles on it and I am liking it more and more. Other than what I call the "quirky" response time and issues with the Info-system, and yes, some wind noise, the good things outweigh the smaller things. I'm still loving the room and the ride. My overall MPG, which is 60/40 town-highway driving, is about 22. And I love the electronic hatch, which I did not have in my Infinity EX.

Thanks to all for the reflections.
  • travelguy2travelguy2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all of your comments on the XC60. The 2011 XC60 T6 is one of my two final choices. Just curious...I am hyper sensitive to the wind noise on the highway I guess given the comments in this forum. I know it's subjective but have you gotten "used to it." Also, do you find there is enough space in the rear door entryways to move items in and out (as I will be doing with an infant seat).
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    I may well be the exception, but I have not noticed -- nor had a problem with -- wind noise on the highway (unlike other cars I've owned in the past). And yes, I've found that there is enough space in the rear door entryways for infant seat, then toddler seat.
  • travelguy2travelguy2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks shs111 for the quick reply. I'm looking at the XC60 vs the Lexus RX 350 and wondered if you considered the Lexus as well.
    As I posted previously, I have noticed the wind noise, which is indeed greater than any I had in my '08 Infiniti EX. There may be plenty of reasons, e.g. the XC is bigger and would have a larger "footprint" against the wind...I'm not an engineer, so I don't really know. I would strongly suggest that you test drive it on the interstate at 50-70 mph and listen around the driver's window. With that said, I do play music frequently, and no, I don't even think about it then. And, it's not obnoxiously loud....more like white noise than anything. So, yes, I'm used to it and like the car enough that it doesn't drive me crazy.

As far as the child seat, I'm past that phase so don't really know. Can't you get the child seat option in this vehicle (a built in one)?

It's got a very smooth ride, and love the electronic hatch, and it's much roomier than what I had, so all-in-all, I'm a happy camper. Oh, if you plan to use your phone with the blue tooth, connect it before buying! My phone connects, but I don't get sound out of the speaker, either talking or listening! Dealer has no answer....could be the phone??? It's one of those deals when you have the symbiotic relationship with devices made by different manufacturers when you get into the finger pointing of where the problem lies.

As far as the Lexus, I didn't even consider it simply because I don't like their looks as much, plus they are EVERYWHERE here, where I live, and I wanted something a bit less conventional. Aren't they also a good bit more expensive?

Let us know what you decide on. Happy trails!
    The wind noise becomes noticeable only when I hit ~60 mph, so you should do a test drive up to 65 mph to see for yourself. It's a small problem but not at all a deal breaker for me. Also, this is by no means as much wind noise as you'd get on a non-luxury vehicle.

By "problem" I mean the wind noise it is somewhat more as compared to my wife's 2011 Audi Q5, and that I have to turn up the audio 2-3 notches to compensate for the wind noise. I really like my XC60 but I believe Volvo should have done a better job minimizing the wind noise and it is one of my few complaints for this vehicle.
  • bh3205bh3205 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

Thanks for the great comments on this car. Seems like a good choice for a family car and (pending a drive test) I'm starting to lean towards this model.

I'm 6'4''/240lb and I was wondering if there were any other big guys out there who have this car and if they like it. I have a lot of trouble with most cars given the amount of leg space and head room I need, so would love to get feedback from anyone who is willing ...

Thanks again for the comments!
    Yeah, I'm 6'3"/215. I put the seat all the way back and "bucket" the seat a little (rear of seat is lower, front of seat is higher) which makes it fairly comfortable. I don't have a problem with headroom at all.
  • cdudecdude Member Posts: 10
    I am looking at regular XC 60 or XC 60 with Turbo and not sure weather its worth paying extra for the turbo as I will be doing city plus highway driving . Options I am looking for are premier with climate , BLIS and Bixenon.

I am in central NJ so want to know whats the best price for XC60 in the area as the dealer I saw took $1500 off MSRP which I didn't think was enough ..
    I have the T6 and I really can't tell how the turbo charger affects the power. I figure you have test driven them both?
    It depends on your preference and if you want AWD.

For an additional 50 hp, the T6 is only $1650 more than the regular 2.0 with AWD. In a few months I might spend $1500 for the 25 HP software upgrade so in that sense it's worth the money.

The MPG difference isn't much. Maybe 24 highway vs 22 highway for the turbo? So for 12,000 miles a year that's only 45 gallons more (about $170 more per year).
  • santacruz4santacruz4 Member Posts: 4
    We just bought a 2011 that was a dealer car with 8,000 miles on it. Like it so far but we are coming off a 12 year old van and so we are not used to all of the technology and bells and whistles!

When there is no front seat passenger this message lights up:
    PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF
    It is sort of annoying to constantly have that indicator lamp illuminated. Any way to disable it? Just curious and certainly this will be the first of many questions. Thanks!
  • mikey38mikey38 Member Posts: 141
    Legally? Probably not. Try painting over it in black?

It's pretty much out of my field of view so it doesn't bother me at all.
  • jcarpijcarpi Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone out there had problems with the electronics on this car? My XC60 is almost two years old, and my battery has died twice, the first time after I went on vacation and the car was in the garage for a week. The second time was just this weekend when it sat for only 4 days. I drive this car 20 miles/day to and from work, so it's not like it's sitting all the time. The first time, when I told the Volvo dealer about it, they tried to pass it off as my not driving it every day. I just laughed and said "Are you telling me that I should expect a dead battery every time I don't drive the car for a day or so? Surely a battery should hold a charge longer than that!" They just hemmed and hawed, and re-charged the battery. But now that it's happened a second time, I want to know if anyone else has had this problem, and whether they got any satisfaction under the "Safe and Secure" program? Thanks!
  • osdxc60osdxc60 Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to me and a co-worker. I have a 2010 XC60 and she has a 2011 S60. But for me the issue has since been resolved.

I was gone for 6 days and the battery did not have enough power to start the car. My co-worker was gone for 5 days and her battery was completely dead.

I had my battery checked by two dealers. The first said that the battery checked out fine but there was a software upgrade needed which was done. The second deals also said the battery was fine but that it was only charged to 50% capacity. They charged to 100% capacity. They suggested to make sure the battery was fully charged before letting it sit for a while.

I recently just got back from a 16 day trip and my XC60 started with no issues. The only thing that has changed was the software upgrade and I did not have my iPhone USB cord plugged in. I mention the USB cord because when my battery died after 6 days, I did have the cord plugged in. My coworker also had her USB cord plugged in when her battery died.

So.. I am not sure if it was making sure the battery was full charged, software upgrade or the USB cord not plugged in that made a difference. Maybe a combination of all. Just in case I now carry a portable jump starter in my car.

My coworker also had a software upgrade on her car but she has not left her car sitting for more than a couple days yet. So we do not know if anything has changed.
  • twindy1twindy1 Member Posts: 9
    I havent been able to find where the underfloor lockable storage is. Sales and Service didn't l ow anything about it. Can anyone tell me where it is?
  • lego34lego34 Member Posts: 5
    I try the xc60 t6 premium plus and I was surprise when I call my insurance company, that I will pay the same as my CRV.

Question; for those who own the xc60, what do you thing of the cost of this car. I would love to have an idea. Thank you
  • twindy1twindy1 Member Posts: 9
    Called Volvo a second time. The cargo floor has hidden storage which can not be accessed when the tailgate is closed. Apparently there is some kind of lip that prevents the floor from being opened when the tailgate is closed. There isn't an actual lock.
  • c_hillc_hill Member Posts: 1
    Hello. Just purchased a 2010 with 44k XC 60 T6.

It's been back at the dealer over a week now with a leak in the roof. It leaks after rain, etc. I discovered the leak about a week after my purchase. (I'm assuming it wasn't a new leak, so curious on how long it has been happening.)
    1. Will this type of leak affect the inside of the car? I'm not sure how long it was going on, even if it gets fixed, will it have hurt the car long-term?

Also, the MPG seems low - it's about 18 average, with half highway/city.
    2. Is that average for a T6?

I'm less than a month for my purchase, would a return be recommended? I purchased Volvo for reliability, so I wouldn't have to worry about this type of stuff. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm not sure what to believe.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    I know it's a little late, but I owned a 2012 for a few months. I had the R-type T6, and averaged around 17 city and got well over 22 on the highway. For a twin turbo with this much weight, I'd say 18 is excellent. Turbos are not terribly fuel efficient, (I had two Saab wagons that were smaller but didn't get much better mileage, both turbos) but I think anything over 15 in city is great and over 25 highway. It ain't no Prius. Put it this way, I just switched to an Acura MDX and I can't even squeak 13 in city! Yikes!
    Did you get your leak fixed? Have them pull the ceiling liner and check it if you're worried. Best of luck.
  • bulldogdiverbulldogdiver Member Posts: 8
    My short 85 year old mother had a wreck yesterday and we are car shopping. I am interested in a crossover type vehicle that is low enough that she can get into it without climbing up but higher than a standard sedan so that she can get out without having to pull herself up when she gets out. What is the height of the driver's seat from the roadway of the 2013/2014 FWD XC 60?
    edited September 2013
    I have a 2011 T6. With the power seat all the way down it's about 26 inches. All the way up it's about 30 inches. That's with the seat-front and seat-back settings both at the lowest and highest. The contours of the seat front-to-back and side-to-side vary in height about an inch. I'd assume it's close to that for a 2013/14.