Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Chevrolet Suburban Cruise Control Issues

pattbergpattberg Member Posts: 4
I have a 2007 Chevy Suburban LTZ with the 6.0L. I love it. We've taken two long road trips with 4 kids and all of the luggage in the back. Awesome!

During these trips, we've noticed problems with the cruise control. There are times when the cruise is engaged and it cuts out. I've noticed that this happens if the road gets extremely rough, but it also cuts-out on smooth, flat stretches. I'm not concerned about the disengagement on a rough patch of road. But, I would like the cut-outs on the smooth roads to stop. Also, there are times when the 'power' light for the cruise control on the steering wheel will not come 'on'. Certainly, we can't set the cruise speed, if the system doesn't turn on.

Are there any suggestions on what can be checked?

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I'd check for proper operation of the brake light switch first, that's easiest to check. Applying the brake, turns off the cruise control. Then I'd have the cruise control switches on the steering wheel checked.

Have the same year/trim vehicle, with the regular engine and just finished a 2500 mile 2 week trip with 2 adults and 2 college girls......great traveling vehicle. Never had a cruise control issue in any Suburban I've owned.
  • pattbergpattberg Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. The cruise control does turn off correctly when the brakes are touched. But, it still turns off when cruising and not touching the brake.
    edited August 2011
    Yes, but if you had a flakey switch that was intermittently 'turning on' when you hit a bump, then that would turn off your cruise. Easy thing to check before you write a check for someone to look at steering wheel switches.
    OK, I understand. How do I check the brake light switch?
    disconnect the leads, put an ohmmeter on the switch to check resistance, watch the ohmeter as you put the brake on and release many times. Wiggle the brake pedal sideways and up and down slighlty simulating what might happen if you hit a bump, and verify that the switch isn't making even the slightest contact.

Consider replacing the switch if at all suspect.
  • printsezzprintsezz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe LTZ, and for about three months now, the cruise control will not engage, the light is on but it does not set. I have noticed that when I stop, put it in park and let it sit for about 5 minutes, when I get back on the road, sometimes, not always, but sometimes it will engage. Is this a known issue and how do I get it fixed? Please help!
    UPDATE!

My issue was the brake pedal position sensor. I replaced the sensor and now have no issues with my cruise control.

Thanks for all the help!

- Chris