Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Consumer Reports drops 2012 Civic from Recommended list

wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
For the first time in a long time, as the new Civic ends up second-to last in teh Compact category, with just 61 points, compared to 78 for the previous Civic.

CR cites inferior interior materials, road noise, some handling issues.

Agree or is CR off its rocker?

Comments

• bernardmarxbernardmarx Member Posts: 6
    This blather about handling means nothing. I am still considering buying this car and I mostly care about reliability and safety. Also, the Civic still has standard fuel injection. A lot of the competitors are going to Direct Gasoline Injection which has never been reliable and may never be. Five years from now there could be a lot of cars with clogged intake ports from carbon deposits, but not the 2012 Civic.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    A lot of the competitors are going to Direct Gasoline Injection ...

Who would that be, at this time? Cruze, Focus, Elantra, Forte, Sentra, Jetta, Mazda3, Corolla... none have GDI.

But if some of Honda's competitors do start using GDI in their compacts... just because Honda can't/won't do it, doesn't mean it's a bad idea.
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    What on earth are you talking about?? Direct Gas Injection is a form of fuel injection. It differs in where the fuel is injected and at a higher psi. Being that DI is relatively new to gas engines, how can you claim it's never been reliable and what makes you think it won't be reliable? You sound like one of those that swore up and down the carburetor was better than FI because it was simpler and yet FI proved to be way more reliable. It appears you are simply scared of something you don't understand. I'd suggest getting used to DI because "regular" fuel injection will be going extinct in about 5 years.

FYI, DI has been around since 1998, with Mitsubishi being the first to introduce a mass market DI gas engine. It was slow to catch on due to cost, not because of reliability concerns. Diesels have been using DI since the late 90s with no issues.

Also, the 2012 Corolla, 3, Lancer, Jetta, Elantra, Sentra, and Cruze all have "standard fuel injection" (with the exception of an optional engine on the 3).
  • master_yodamaster_yoda Member Posts: 2
    CR also recommends the New Grand Caravan that I own. It doesn't recommend the 2012 civic that I also own. Need I tell you which automobile is top notch and which is crappy??? Need a new car? Go to a Honda dealer and forget the rest.
  • bernardmarxbernardmarx Member Posts: 6
    Diesels have been using DI since the late 90s with no issues.

http://www.howauto.com.au/diesel%20engine%20intake%20deposits.htm
  • johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    edited August 2011
    bernardmax isn't too far from the truth - Google Audi direct injection problems and you'll read of the woes Audi owners are going through with carbon build-up in their engines due to DI. Same w/. the Lexus IS250. The higher end Lexus models have a combo DI and port injection (I'm simplifing) to avoid carbon build-up issues.

DI in gasoline engines can help w/. fuel economy but don't be led down the path that there are no problems associated with this tech.
  • carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    Uh, thanks for the link, BUT it doesn't prove your point. The article claims the carbon buildup is caused by EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) and PCV (positive crankcase ventilation). There is absolutely NO mention of Direct Fuel Injection being a problem. For the future, I'd suggest actually reading info you post.
  • kitcloudkick3rkitcloudkick3r Member Posts: 15
    I agree, they have completely lost what made Honda a Great little car... The Accelerator takes 30 seconds to register you pushed it. There is rattles, creaks that dont exist in my mom's 05. The Interior looks cheap, the plastics feel cheap. its fat, no longer sporty looking, the clutch in the SI sucks.. Honestly the last of the "Cool" Civics were in 2005. Since then they have gotten really cheaply made, and very Buick like..