Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 - 2013 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nceencee Member Posts: 419
    At hsn.com
    She say
    S the rear seats will and does have reclining rear seats?

skip
  • buckeyefan2buckeyefan2 Member Posts: 1
    My sales guy called me over the weekend to let me know that they will have a 2013 Avalon Hybbrid sometime near Nov 24, and I just can't wait!! :)
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited October 2012
    The grill does not look offensive in this picture but I don't like this exterior color.

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/Media/580x348/79/7934189208fb40a78411bceb96ee9436- - .jpg
    If you like that picture, you'll love these. I think they are 2 of the best pictures of the new Avalon - so far.

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstringcaldinkal/8109656764/sizes/l/in/photostrea- m/

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstringcaldinkal/8109664058/in/photostream/lightb- ox/

And I have seen several photo's / shots of the interior and some are very interesting. It looks like there are going to be some nice options. I say this because the center console in one video looks a bit more then just a center console, as does the area where the heating vents are.

Skip
    I will say, that for me, this car looks very different in some of the colors I've seen.

Some look very nice, classy, sporty and some look like, well, I won't get one if this was the only color option it came in.

But pictures aren't close to the real thing, so I'll do like everyone else, and just wait (not very patiently) and see when I sit in one, drive one, and sign on the bottom line for one.

Right now my color chooses are:

The red with tan interior
    The Sable / Green with tan interior (several folks who have seen this up close say it is stunning)
    The Blue (if it's available) with gray interior
    And I must say, the black one in the video's looks pretty damn sweet.

Skip
    The below thread appears be be updated by some employees at the Toyota Assembly plane.

- http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/156-3rd-generation-2005-2012/422626-new-video-- 2013-avalon-release-date-info.html

Skip
    Wow, I posted this idea for grills back in July and most folks didn't think much of it. It will be interesting to see what they say about them at the SEMA show? I think I like it more my way, with no thin outer chrome strip.

Mine albeit crude - http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstringcaldinkal/8124678791/sizes/l/in/photostrea- m/

There's done for the show:

http://wot.motortrend.com/files/2012/10/2013-Toyota-Avalon-TRD-SEMA-grille.jpg

Skip
    If the 5 BIG folks at Toyota can be trusted, news on the Avalon i.e., Color schemes, Exterior, Interior options, extras and more WILL be announced starting the 31st thru the 6th of November:)

Nice but that's still a few days away, and with the hurricane and all I'm sure most folks could give a shitt about the new Avalon.

I hope everyone makes it safely thru this mess.

We're not suppose to feel much of an impact here (of course being Maine weather - that will change before I finish typing this), but others will, and to folks folks I say Good Luck take care and play it smart.

Skip
  • empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    Weight: 3497 lbs.

Hundreds of pounds lighter than a Buick LaCrosse. Almost matches the V6 Camry. Expect 21/30/25 MPG, matching Camry

Fuel Economy: 25 combined for V6. 40 combined for Hybrid.
    (See Camry)

Trunk: Up 10% to 16 cu ft.

Price: Less than $31k to start (Over $33k last year)

Focus of new design: Improve fuel economy. Improve dynamic handling. Improve design inside and out. Add content. Lower weight. Increase value.

Things you may not know: Out of the 16 "Most-American made Cars sold in the US", 5 are made by Toyota. Cars like Avalon and Camry are at the top of the list for most American parts content, plus American assembly. ;)
    BD
    I just left my local Toyota Dealer, and they are suppose to announce all the New Avalon information tomorrow.

3 Models of Hybrid
    3 Models of Gas

XLE Base, XLE Touring (The best buy for the money?), XLE Limited Edition
    And the Hybrids the same

Pricing starts at $31,000.00 +- and goes up to - are you ready for this - $42,000.00!

Skip
    Pricing is now up on the web site.

http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/avalon/

Skip
  • jhewitt25jhewitt25 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    They must have taken it down, at least I could not find any cost info!
    email me, and I'll send along a photo image I took of the pricing.

I just checked and it's still there for me?

http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/avalon/

I went to toyota.com, then went to the top where it says "cars & mini vans", once that comes down, there is a link for "upcoming vehicles" I clicked on that, and up came the avalon I clicked on "See More" and up came the pricing.

Avalon:

XLE $30,990.00
    XLE Premium $33,195.00
    XLE Touring $35,500.00
    XLE Limited $39,650.00

Hybrid:

XLE Premium $35,555.00
    XLE Touring $37,250.00
    XLE Limited $41,400.00

With the differences (according to my dealer being)

With NAV
    Rear Heated Seats
    Upgraded Radio
    Tires
    Collision Avoidance
    Leather Seats

to name a few of the differences.

Skip
  • geo123geo123 Member Posts: 33
    The following is the news release. Has some good info.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+pricing+2013+avalon.htm
    Now how long do we have to wait to see pictures of the interior / exterior color options.

My dealer ordered his demo (A fully loaded Hybrid, in Saber with Tan interior) while I was there, and the system said it would be produced the 15th and ship to be there within a week. It also said consumers could expect to see them available to purchase by December 13th I believe.

Skip
    the list price on the ES H is less ($38,850.00) then the Avalon ($41,400.00)???

Loaded ES is more at $48,800.00 but it would have more then the Avalon, which matching the trim as close as you can will be $43,150.00.

I guess seeing they share the same platform, they should share the same pricing:)

Skip
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    The new Limited has a pretty hefty price increase over my 2011 Limited which was MSRP of $36500. The $40k may be a deal breaker for me.
    Looks to be $2655.00 LESS then the Avalon???

Man this isn't what I was expecting:(

Oh, well, no body is making me buy either, although for reasons we won't get into, I'll still end up with the Avalon. Now it's just do I spend the bucks and get the Hybrid or the Gas?

If I get the Limited Gas, with the Tech Package, it's $41,400.00 or the same is the Limited Hybrid WITHOUT the tech package, which I'd want with the Hybrid if I get it. So now I'm up to $43,150.00 WOW! Sure hope my dealer treats me right.

If I drove the hybrid and liked it, I'd say my bottom line is $38.500.00 or $36,750.00 for the gas model loaded.

Skip
    You'd have to find a real loser dealer to give the car away.

Any dealer worth his salt will make a nice profit on a new, cutting-edge model like this, at least for the first 2-3 months.

Why is it wrong for a dealer to make a profit on a new car anyway? Why would he invoice a $40k car that is just getting on the market?

Good luck finding that......
    BD
    V6, leather heated seats and push button start are all standard for less than $31k? :blush:

Try and get all that on Maximas, LaCrosse, Taurus, 300 for anything less than $35k!
    BD
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    You Avy fans may want to check out the generally favorable review of the 2013 Avy on Edmund's Inside Line. Of course, they felt compelled to include the usual smarta** comments about the Avy's demographics. :mad:
    Feast your eyes on this video. That rouge color is new and it pops.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-JJg-Xbzds
    According to the narrator, the new Avalon is aimed at the GenX demographic and I believe Toyota will have a lot of success with it especially at its relatively low price point.

And here is yet another video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvc9uVvuMbI

Enjoy and comment.
    As nice as these videos are, it's still going to be a great day when I get to give the car my tes drive.

These videos, and there are several o them out now, while nice arn't the same as driving it myself. They don't look at the little things. They can't tell you if threats will work for you.

- if the views are good,
    - is it quiet enough for you
    - if the ride is what you want or better
    - if the placement of all the gauges and such work for you
    - how does the radio sound, does Siri work better the the current model. My gues is it might as it has a bigger antena.
    - how comfortable is it
    - how do you feel behind the wheel, an how will you feel being one o th first the drive one n town with those nice paper temporary plates on it?

And if after driving it, looking it over, do you go for it, or pass on it!

My dealer emailed and said his is showing as possibly being delivered late this coming week:)
    So I'm wondering how "BIG" (sorry I had to do it), and impact the grill will have on the sale of the car?

- How close to their goal Toyota needs to come in order to not worry about changing it?

- Or do they come out with a(nother) "All New Avalon" next year when they fix the grill?

- If that happens, I wonder if the parts will be interchangeable for those of us who purchase a 2013?

I WILL be checking with a friend who owns a body shop to see how much it will cost to make the grill the same color as the car. Then all I'll need to do is get rid of the 3rd eye, and I think it will look pretty good.

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstringcaldinkal/8178909446/in/photostream/lightb- ox/

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstringcaldinkal/8178909400/in/photostream/lightb- ox/

I think the 3rd eye (Toyota logo) in the center, and the black grill make the grill stick out even more then it has to.

Skip
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    The grille is a turn off.... sorry, but it is. Nice car, you bet, larger trunk is fine with me. Slightly smaller back seat leg room also ok. Remember all, this is a "first year" model and subject to all the problems of the 2005 when it came out as new. By '07 they had most of those problems solved. Again..Nice looking car :):)
    I few nice photo's of the new Avalon here all in one photo. Some of the color options.

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstringcaldinkal

Skip
    I went to the Seattle Auto Show just to see the Avalon. I'm sold. They had a White Limited and a Sizzling Crimson Mica Touring. Both beautiful. I'm really glad Toyota finally put a black interior in the Avalon. Was very impressed with fit and finish and the general feel of the interior.

Will probably contact my dealer shortly and tell him I want a Champagne Mica Touring with Black interior.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    I'm really glad Toyota finally put a black interior in the Avalon

They have had it since '05.

IMO the new Avalon is a trainwreck. It's smaller and I could never get past the front end. I absolutely loved my 03 and 06 Avalons, but could never buy this new model.

I hope your purchase works out! Let us know what you think about how it drives, etc.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Nice video. A bit hard to take some times, but still nice.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IxIU9Wd_JI

Skip
    My 2008 Touring model was Black on Black?

And for me, all black was just to much.

Skip
    No pictures:(

So, what's it like?

Seats?
    Dash?
    Did you get to sit in it, front and back, your thoughts if so?

Skip
    The seats were firmer, but comfortable, than my 2011 Limited and had nice side bolsters. There was definitely more front passenger seat leg room than my 2011. Rear leg room appears slightly less. Loved the dash, but couldn't see instrumentation. I was very impressed with the interior. The trunk appears bigger too.
    And now all have have to do is wait what, 1,2,5 or more weeks to own one:(

Skip
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    My local Toyota dealer just got a 2013 Avalon. I plan on taking a look this week.
    Well first my quick first impressions. (about 30 minute drive, 18-22 miles +-)

The good:

- The fit and finish is very good
    - The doors feel real good and solid opening & closing
    - The interior, (seats, floors, Center Console, Dash) is very nice
    - The Nav is much nicer in appearance
    - The GRILL is fine with the nice larger plastic plate frame that comes with the car
    - Back Seat Heated and spacious

The NOT so Good
    - The sunroof cover is WAY to thin, and cheap:( (weight savings)
    - The seat belt straps are thinner and feel cheap:( Although they pull nice, firm and smooth. (weight savings)
    - The steering wheel will take some getting use to (it's slippery so you have to hold on tightly (maybe making you tired))
    - Back seat should have a fan control along with the temp control
    - Rear seats took a long time to heat up
    - An awful lot of plastic (and thin too) (weight savings)
    - Super Saver Spare Tire (weight savings)

The Not sure yet:

- The seats are nice and firm (Long rides?)
    - Controls on the dash are a bit of a reach for me
    - Not any quieter then my 2011
    - Different ride then my 2011

These are just a few of the things I got out of my first test drive.

Skip
    Hey Skip,

You lucky dog. So you got to drive the new Avy (at an auto show?) How did you pull that off. From your early impressions it seems like a mixed bag. You did not mention visibility--a sour point in my 2011 Buick LaCrosse, so I have to assume it is good. Otherwise you would have noticed.

By the way, is the sunroof optional in the higher trim levels? I don't care for sunroof as use it sparingly. But it is not a deal breaker.
    Good question on visibility? Nothing that I didn't notice.

I drove it around my home town:)

Emerson Toyota got it in today.

Cypress / Almond and FULLY loaded, everything, hell it even has the remote start on this one:)

They just called with the numbers, and well, they aren't giving me enough for my car to trade it in. I'll see about selling it myself.

They offered $22,000.00 trade towards $42,000.00.

2011 LTD Avalon with 39,000 miles on it, and a 8-9+ on a 10 scale

The sunroof is an option, but it's an option you have to get on the LITD models:(

Skip
  • mls4deals2mls4deals2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi...i bought a new Avalon in 05 (06 model) which i traded for a 2011 Avalon Limited when they told me it was just redesigned and wouldnt change for 5 years typically :) I soon found out it would change for late 2012 and did some research to discover i would lose about 10k in value if i kept it thru the change.
    After 2 Avalon limiteds I drove the new redesigned 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE and decided to downsize for the mileage and savings in insurance etc. The 2012 Camry Hybrid limited is loaded and has exceeded my expectations. It is nimble and way more quiet than my 2011 Avalon was. I love the new sound system (equal to the Avalon) and I am averaging about 39mpg even after leaving bmws at the light with my 200 HP and my childish foot taking over once in a while. It is ully redesigned and Comfortable (Im 6'2") where the 2011 Camry was uncomfortable for me. I love the BLIND SPOT MONITOR (which all cars should have to prevent accidents) and the power lumbar heated seats and its appearance and fun to drive feel while getting about twice the mileage of the 2011 Avalon!
    I would only complain about the fact you cant get the dark grey or black leather interior (they only offer a light grey suede leather (which i dont like). I also think any vehicle in this price range should offer standard the turn signal on the outside of the mirrors like the avalon and even the new Prius C??

I would recommend you try out the Camry Hybrid before you spend the extra money for the avalon hybrid as they are the exact same drive train and approximate weight. Its great fun to drive and the features of the XLE Camry are excellent if loaded. The Avalon will offer you more features and cost more....then it is subjective which you like better. Just a tip for any Toyota Hybrid driver ...you can maximize your mileage by making sure you average 40 ponds of air in your tires!
    Good luck
  • mls4deals2mls4deals2 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a new Avalon limited in 05 (06 model) which i traded for a 2011 Avalon Limited when they told me it was just redesigned and wouldnt change for 5 years typically :) I soon found out it would change for late 2012 and did some research to discover i would lose about 10k in value if i kept it thru the change.
    After 2 Avalon limiteds I drove the new redesigned 2012 Camry Hybrid XLE and decided to downsize for the mileage and savings in insurance (saved 50% premium), fuel saved 50%! etc. The 2012 Camry Hybrid limited is loaded and has exceeded my expectations. It is nimble, handles fantastic and IS way more quiet than my 2011 Avalon Limited was. I love the new 7" GPS sound system (equal to the Avalon) and I am averaging about 39 MPG even after leaving bmws at the light with my 200 HP power and my childish foot taking over once in a while. It is fully redesigned and Comfortable (Im 6'2") where the 2011 Camry WAS uncomfortable for me. I love the BLIND SPOT MONITOR (which all cars should have to prevent accidents) and the power lumbar heated seats and its appearance and fun to drive feel while getting about twice the mileage of the 2011 Avalon!
    I would only complain about the fact you cant get the dark grey or black leather interior (they only offer a light grey suede leather (which i dont like). I also think any vehicle in this price range should offer standard the turn signal on the outside of the mirrors like the avalon and even the new Prius C??

I would recommend you try out the Camry Hybrid before you spend the extra money for the 2013 Avalon hybrid as they are the exact same drive train and approximate weight. Its great fun to drive and the features of the XLE Camry are excellent if loaded. The Avalon will offer you more features and cost more....then it is subjective which you like better. Just a tip for any Toyota Hybrid driver ...you can maximize your mileage by making sure you average 40 ponds of air in your tires!
    Good luck
    http://www.insideline.com/toyota/avalon-hybrid/2013/2013-toyota-avalon-hybrid-fu- ll-test.html

A new hybrid that actually gets the mileage promised too. Fancy that.

Good looking, elegant, quiet, dignified, admirable, athletic enough, and won't be a constant drain on the wallet. A true flagship has arrived. :shades:
    Boy, not sure I want to drive a Hybrid. I might kick myself in the [non-permissible content removed] for getting a gas model:)

Skip
  • luckyme1luckyme1 Member Posts: 29
    edited December 2012
    I have owned my 2012 Camry Hybrid for almost a year now. My wife has been waiting for the 2013 Avalon, and we drove them yesterday. The dealer is trying to locate the Avalon LTD. V6 in the color she wants for us now. The Avalon Hybrid is a fine car indeed, and fuel economy/performance will equal the Camry's outstanding results, but she likes the extra smoothness and power of the V6, over the Hybrid, as she is accustomed to that from an Infinity G35, and a previous 2006 Avalon. I don't believe you can go wrong with either power train, as the new Avalon in general is exceptional, and the Toyota Hybrid system being used in the Camry, Avalon, and Lexus' is one of the best there is. Smooth for a hybrid, reliable, and at real world 40 MPG, with really good performance is truly a winner.
    The 2013 Avalon is certainly a stunning Toyota design, albeit that grill will need to grow on us. The build quality, design style, interior fit, finish and materials are really stunning, and rival the Lexus. The roominess, quiet ride, and a more spirited performance is going to make this flagship of Toyota a winner.
    As the proud owner of the 2013 Gas model, I can say first off :)

As for the grill, it turns out to be a non-issue! Not ONE person has said anything about the grill?

A few (not so good pictures here)

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstringcaldinkal

I'll be working on getting some better pictures soon, but once you get the front plate on, the grill just isn't that "Big" a deal (sorry, had to do it:).

Skip
    edited December 2012
    The Avalon Hybrid is a fine car indeed, and fuel economy/performance will equal the Camry's outstanding results, but she likes the extra smoothness and power of the V6, over the Hybrid,

What I find amazing is how Toyota was able to keep the non-hybrid Avalon under 3,500 pounds curb weight. Yet, the car is quiet at speed with the lowest decibel level of modern sedans (according to Inside Line) on the road today.

By comparison, my 2011 Buick LaCrosse CXS is over 4,000 pounds. GM claimed that the extra insulation and quiet glass added to the weight quotient. But, Toyota was able to silence the Avalon by using the same quiet glass technology with amazing results in mileage and hushed interior.

It took Toyota eight years between model changes but it appears the long wait has leapfrogged the Avalon over rivals, especially the LaCrosse. I am not yet in the market for a new car but when I do I will be looking closely at the new Avalon.