Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 - 2013 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    As the proud owner of the 2013 Gas model

Congratulations Skip on the purchase of your new Avalon. And unlike most, Christmas came early for you this year. Enjoy the ride.

Not to be too nosy (yes I do), how much did you pay? On CarsDirect they are asking full MSRP but, there is a significant spread between list price and invoice.

After you have had a little time to read the technology owners manual please give us a report on handling, road noise, music system, and day versus night driving.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Well you (and many others) should and will look at the new Avalon. My first guess is many won't purchase it because it is noticeably smaller then earlier models and likely smaller then LaCrosse and others in the price range.

Now if they drive it, they won't likely consider anything else!

For me the only issues at this time are:

- Cell phone doesn't work well
    - Satellite Radio fades a lot more then other cars with Satellite radio
    - Sports ride vs Luxury (cushy) ride? This one may take some time to decide.
    - Remote Starter is NO WHERE near long enough range:(

Skip
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    Congrats on your new ride Skip. Don't know if you remember me, but I'm the guy who deserted the Avalon family for a 2013 Volvo S60 mainly because of the front grill. I had a chance to see and sit in one last week and it is a sweet car, except for the front, IMO. The bottom line is you're happy with it and how can you go wrong with an Avalon given our shared positive experience with it. Enjoy!!
    I sure will. Here is a bit of what I've noted so far.

First impressions on my 2013avalon:)

Ok, we'll I just got back from my first short trip with my new toy. Here are my thoughts.

First off let me me start with a BIG :)

Quiet, smooth, comfortable pleasant to drive.

Seats are much more comfortable then I expected on a longer drive.

The trip was about 200 miles round trip. Mostly back roads 45 - 55 mph, and light snow all day.

I didn't think about it until I tried to load CD's, as it appears it only holds 1. I'm sure this is because of entunes and the fact it can play a iPod.

I still find the switches / controls on the top right a bit to far, but not a big deal. The lights are very nice, both headlights for lighting the road as well as the interior lights.

Something odd, is that my cell phones turns on and off all by itself, which never happened with my old Avalon, and it is the car, because when the cell phone is on my desk at workor counter at home, it doesn't do it.

The front seat heater is very good and seems more powerful than my old Avalon.

The collision avoidance is real nice.

Right Now I don't like the new radio station presets, a bit more work then the old system, but I can see where it will be easier once I get use to it.

The 3 driving modes are interesting, but I didn't pay attention much attention to them yet, so I can't comment much. I can say you can see and feel the difference when you select each mode.

The electric steering is REAL nice.

I liked the 3 trays / pockets on the old Avalon better. Things seemed to fit better and easier to access.

I love the coin tray up front.

I like the digital speedometer which is handy when setting the cruise control at 9mph over the speed limit:)

I REALLY like the solid feel when opening and closing the doors

This car was Loaded up by the dealer - Tech Package, remote Starter, Floor Mats, Rear Bumper AppliquŽ, Trunk Net and more.

I paid just a Tad under sticker, but got Over Book for my trade-in:)

***DON'T get the remote. While it works Great, it has a VERY small / short range:( Something I
    ll be dealing with somehow, as I can't park within 80' of my office often.

I'm sure there will be more as I get more time behind the wheel, but that's for now.

Skip
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,817
    Congrats on the purchase! Enjoy it. Are you saying it now has a sport tuned ride? The ride was the best part of the Avalon!

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Hi, I do. So how is the Volvo treating you?

Trust me, the grill is a NON issue. I've had no less then 35+ people drive the car, check out the car, give their insight and thoughts, and NOT one person said anything about the front grill?

These pictures aren't great, but I think it gives a better pictures as to what the grill looks like with the front plate on it.

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstringcaldinkal

Skip
    I think the answer is yes. I mean, it's a bit firmer (no where near as cushy / floaty) as before, but the seats and system deal with it very well.

My guess is, with the car being a bit smaller, it's hard to get a REAL cushy ride, and at the same time, any kind of sportiness to it. I for one would like to have seen settings to in fact get a cushy ride.

So far, on the highway this is a non-issue, as the ride on the highway, or roads that aren't nothing but potholes is very nice, just different.

Skip
    I guess this is just the trend. I don't know why cars can't have a cushy ride anymore. I traded out of my 09 Genesis because it rode like a truck. I now have a 2012 LaCrosse and it rides a little firmer than the previous Avalon but still very comfortable.

The interior in the new Avalon certainly looks nice, but with the "grille", smaller size and firm ride Toyota is obviously heading a different direction with the Avalon than I care for.

The one thing I miss from my 06 is that sweet 2GR V6. What a smooth revving, refined engine.

Give it a ride before you decide. It might be perfect for you. I for one, having had several Park Avenues and other large cars (When large meant - large), got use to a cushy ride.

Again, with 35,000+ miles a year (and 25 - 30,000 of them highway) the ride should be just fine for me. It was on the first trip I took (about 200 miles round trip)

I will say, my 2011 Avalon was MUCH more comfortable then the LaCrosse I test drove.

Skip
    edited December 2012
    We've done some shifting around in the fleet and I no longer drive the LaCrosse that often and unfortunately it will be giving way to an SUV of sorts since that is what my wife wants.

I'm driving a 2004 Grand Marquis at the moment, and honestly I'm in heaven. Roomy and comfortable as it gets. I've had one before along with two Town Cars.

Once we get the SUV, I may sell my 99 S10 and pick up a 2011-2012 used Avalon and keep the Mercury (was my late Grandfathers) as a spare car. My 2006 Avalon XLS remains one of my favorite cars I've owned.

• empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    The test was done on the hybrid, which tends to be quieter than a ICE engine. With the V6, it will probably be somewhat louder.
  • djrc08861djrc08861 Member Posts: 52
    the azera lookin back is killin me.i got a 2011 now.debating on getting your exact color one or a es 350.post more pictures.thatll help in my decision lol
    Wow, weird. A man and women just came in our offices / showroom and ask who owned the new avalon outside (Parking is such that most people are parked in front of their offices and that's why they came in), anyways, I said it was mine, and they said "Wow, great looking car", "I'll bet your real happy"!

Skip

:)
  • luckyme1luckyme1 Member Posts: 29
    The Avalon Hybrid is quiet, no doubt. But the 3.5 V6 is certainly smoother, refined and more quiet than the hybrids gas engine. Of course when running on electric only, no gas engine will be less noticed, but that is only under very low load. The gas engine will be on the vast majority of the time. The Toyota hybrid combination is very nice, but you will certainly hear that 4 cyl. when under heavier acceleration. Once cruising, you'll not detect much difference, except in fuel economy.

Having driven the 2012 Camry Hybrid for a year now, it is a very well built hybrid. Real world mileage is 40 mpg. Being the same powertrain in the Avalon, it will perform very similar. We chose the V6 in the Avalon, as we preferred that powertrain. The 6 speed tranny is splendid.
    "Avalon engineers stole a move from the Lexus playbook by creating safe-room silence inside. At 59.8 decibels the Avalon recorded one of the lowest 70-mph cruise noise readings we've measured in any car in recent memory — including such costly equipment as the Bentley Continental GT (61.6 decibels) and the Audi A8 L (60.9 decibels)"

Until the V6 is tested, the hybrid Avalon is the new King of Smooth! :shades:
  • marv15marv15 Member Posts: 32
    I just drove the av 2013. I have to say I was disappointed room wise and the new instrument panel. I love my 2011 that I purchased in 2010. So I marked the 2013 off my list and just found the same cypress green in a 2012 at a great price under invoice, and great trade in for my almost 38 thousand mile Av. It was a no brainer for me, just did not like what they did inside the 2013, it didn't inspire me to buy it. My dealer told me other people have also been disappointed. So with all the hype for styling which was true, other factors turned me off. They also reduced the gas tank so it no longer holds 18 gallons, it's 16 something gas tank, and a smaller spare and no aluminum scuff plate on entering the car, replaced with plastic. So just got turned off.
    Fuel tank is 17.0 gallons, which would give you a range of 425 in the V6, based on 25 MPG combined, and 680 in the hybrid.

Something tells me that's better than the 2012. :blush:
    Well, hold on there little tiger.

The LTD has Aluminum Scuff plates (At least mine does)
    Was Fuel Tank 18.5 gals, now 17

Now are other people disappointed, likely, if they are looking for a Luxury car. This is a Sports / Luxury car, not a Luxury / Sports car.

Not totally sure I would have purchased it if not for a few reasons, we won't get into.

My 2011 Avalon was more comfortable - in a plush/floaty way (I believe).

My 2011 was bigger inside,

My 2011 had a Full Size Spare,

My 2011's trunk may have been smaller, but it WAS easier to get into, and fill with stuff.

My 2011 had reclining rear seats (which my passengers really liked)

With the filler neck likely holding .5 gals of fuel, the 2012 has a range of 60+- miles to a full tank of gas, more then the 2013:(

Now, while I'm saying nice things about the 2011 Avalon, I can say, each day I drive my 2013 I'm liking it more and more.

Skip
    i got the 2012 green.bought in june.1500miles on it now.beautiful
    With all those comments it is hard to believe that you aren't already having buyer's remorse with the 2013. I am glad that you are enjoying the car. It sounds to me that Yota is trying to move the Avalon away from being a Japanese Buick and more to being a solid competior to the Maxima, 300, and Hyundai Genesis.

I did see one at the local Toyota dealer in a dark grey. That color makes the big mouth bass grille look a little tamed down.

test drove a xls today.i have a 2012 limited.the 2013 seats are alot more comfortable.the side body curves on the car are beautiful.the inside is the bad part.it looks more like a touched up camry.not a inch of the 2013 says luxury. defenitely more sporty with its suoer thick steering wheel and its wide gear shift.stitch is nice but the plastic throughout the car really sticks out.also not as much space inside as the 2012.defenitely more sporty.toyota should of invented a totally different name instead of calling it a avalon!
    Don't seem willing to trade some room and conservative luxury for more style, tech, and efficiency. The new car is clearly a better car, but it's not a Buick LaSabre anymore. If that's what you want, you know where to go.
    I agree. Toyota SHOULD have come up with a new sports car and made the Avalon a truly luxurious car. I personally think they missed the boat.

An Avalon was NEVER considered a sporty car, so why try to make it something it's not?

The car WILL sell well, but it will be curious to see if they push it towards a luxury car or sports car in future models.

It will be interesting to see what CNET (The Car Tech Guy?) has to say about the car - if he does a review on it. It will also be interesting to see what MotorWeek has to say about the car, if they do a video test drive of it.

Skip
    edited December 2012
    Who said it was a "sporty car"?
    Toyota is trying to bring in younger buyers. Period.

This car will DEFINITELY bring in a younger clientele. They don't want a storm of 65-year olds looking for a Japanese Buick. That's not a good long-term strategy. They need younger buyers long-term.

The old car was fine, but this is clearly a better car. Style, economy, interior, less weight, better tech. It's not even really close either.

It gives up some room, and some softer ride quality, but it more than makes up for it with a balance of virtues. :blush:

The 2012 Avalon is lame to the vast majority of the market. This car is desirable. A very new word to associate with the Avalon. There's a first time for everything.
    you'll be a fool to think toyota wasnt aiming to be sporty with this new avalon.you cant tailor your entire selection of cars to please a certain demographic.that younger clienetele does get old also.i say fire the 25yr old who designed it.he could of easily pleased grampa and 29yr old billy with a car that didnt straight up copy a azera.the car is nice but it's more of a touched up camry.the 2011-2012 avalon was never lame.it was a elegant car that was purchased by smart 'buyers who couldn't see themselves blowing 10,000$ more on the same exact car,only with the LEXUS badge on it! let's see how desirable the 2013 will be after the sales figures come in
    edited December 2012
    Just because it is sportier than the 2012 Avalon, doesn't make it a "sporty car". I know school buses that are sportier than the 2012 Avalon ;)

And what are you bringing up Azera for? Azera came out 8-9 months ago? How did anybody copy that?

Toyota wants to sell 50-6k a month, which is much more than the 25k a year the current car sells, and they will get there. It is getting great press, and does many things better than the current class leaders, LaCrosse, Maxima, and 300
    azera could of came out 10yrs ago! doesn't matter.the back of the 2013 avalon is an exact replica.lets not even get started on the avalon's front snow plow grill. if a super thick nascar steering wheel and an extra wide gear shift doesn't make it look sporty,i dont know what does. damn near every youtube review of the car also labels it sporty. if you think it will sell 25k plus a year,more power to you
    Nissan Maxima and Buick LaCRosse sells 5k a month.

If they can do it, so can Avalon. It's a better car. ;)
    edited December 2012
    They offered $22,000.00 trade towards $42,000.00.

Thanks Skip for sharing that information. If you are happy with your trade and you are happy with your 2013 Avy Limited that's all that counts. Once again congrats on the purchase of your "sporty" new wheels.

On a related note, through the Consumer Reports buying program, a local dealer in Boston is offering $37,500 on a $42,200 MRSP. Not a bad price, but I just wanted to gauge the merit or value of CR's buying program. Has anyone used this program and did the dealer honored their commitment?
    $22,000.00??? I got OVER $25,000.00 for my car in-trade?

Skip
    $22,000.00??? I got OVER $25,000.00 for my car in-trade?

Don't mean to be disrespectful but these were your numbers quoted directly from your earlier post. Obviously, there was a miscommunication but I just wanted to make that clear. I hope no offense is taken because it was not intended.

Now back to the 2013 Toyota Avalon....feed the forum.
  • luckyme1luckyme1 Member Posts: 29
    Both the Avalon Hybrid and V6 are very refined. However, the Hybrid 4 cyl. while under acceleration is more noticed. When in all electric, it is very hushed.
    I drive a 2012 Camry Hybrid, and it is one of the nicest hybrid systems on the market.
    We planned to get the Avalon Hybrid, but after my wife drove the V6, we decided to get the V6 Limited instead. Either car is a nice combination of style, class and performance.
    Everyone has opinions and likes/dislikes of interiors, exterior style, etc.
    We found that the interior layout, controls and overall quality of the new Avalon's interior to be quite nice. The front grill (especially on a Pearl White, as my wife is getting) will have to grow on us.
    The outgoing Avalon is still a very nice car, and will serve it's owners well. But, Toyota needed a major redirection for that car, as the demographics were not working for it anymore, as sales had been slipping every year. I believe the new style will sell very well.
    as sales had been slipping every year.

The sales were slipping because it was a stale model. It hadn't changed since 2005! Any model that goes that long without a major redo will have declining sales.

When the 05 came out it was a huge hit. I remember reading the forums here and people were having a tough time getting the one they wanted and dealers were not lowering prices.

If you look at the charts the 2000-2004 Avalon suffered the same sales loss as the model aged:

2000 104,078
    2001 83,005
    2002 69,029
    2003 50,911
    2004 36,460

2005 95,318
    2006 88,938
    2007 72,945
    2008 42,790
    2009 26,935
    2010 28,390
    2011 28,925

I'd wager that Toyota does not even come close to equaling the 2005 sales total.

It's obvious from those numbers that The People love them some Avalon, and will love it some more ;)
    could of been a better car.is more like it
    Best in the class is fine with me. I'll take that all day. :shades:
  • aus1aus1 Member Posts: 20
    Both Consumer Reports and USAA use the same car buying service (TrueCar) and I have used it on two occasions without problems. If you qualify, the USAA service is free to USAA members and in comparing the numbers between the two companies, the bottom lines are identical.
    None taken. I thought I said a few thousand over book, and I should have said, a few thousand over high book?

In any case, none take and I'll try to be more clear in future posts, so as not to mislead anyone:)

Skip
    nice.while your in your wanna be azera.ill be in my ES:)
    edited December 2012
    Thanks for the trollage, hater.

If you hate the Avalon so much, why are so on it's nards? :mad:
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Your post shows what auto makers have known and discussed for decades: stale merchandise. Notice that in both model runs the 4th year sales are half or less than the first year. The novelty has worn off, the product is tired, needs to be replaced. Only the absolute best of makes and models can go 4 or more years and hold up sales numbers near the first two years. It happens, yes. But they are the absolute most popular cars of their market segment. A minor adjustment here or there gets you maybe 2 more years max if you are really good.
    Thanks for the sales numbers, hope the new edition sells well...... I like everything except that grille...
    It also shows a weak mid-ben facelift.

Every vehicle gets a facelift during it's lifecycle. Toyota has said they will go to 6 years lifecycles for their vehicles, and every 3 years, they will do powertrain updates/changes.

So if Avalon can get direct injection in 3 years, that should boost power, efficiency, and give sales a shot in the arm when it needs it most.
    they will do powertrain updates/changes

The 2GR V6 has been unchanged in every Toyota vehicle since debuting in the 2005 Avalon

There is already a DI version of the 2GR, but it's reserved for the Lexus IS and IIRC the GS.

So the Toyotas may inherit those engines, and the Lexus versions may get tuned for more power.

If they haven't been updated since 2005, that means they're do. :blush:

Nothing lasts forever.
    edited December 2012
    I had to chuckle a bit as I watched Motorweek's video review of the 2013 Avalon.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrETtolrb9U

Enjoy!
  • douglas1douglas1 Member Posts: 130
    I am not a big fan of the tricolor interiors, black, almond and brown in the Motorweek test car. Also not a fan of the tricolor light gray interior which is black, light gray and some sort of blue.

If I get a 2013 Avalon it's going to be Champagne Mica with black interior.
  • aus1aus1 Member Posts: 20
    Motorweek's review of most cars is a little overblown and hard to swallow.
    This is often the case with most reports. I do enjoy the reviews / reports but try to take them all with a grain of salt. After all, what they like I might hate, and what they hate, I might like.

The bottom line is, it's my butt in the drivers seat, and at the bank each week making the payments, so I'm the only one who has to like it.

They SOMETIMES offer small tidbits or point out things I might miss, so it's ok to get other points of views.

Skip

PS They are all saying the BIG grill is a turn-off, and I have YET to have anyone say anything about it? Maybe like I said some time back, once you stick the front license plate on it, the grill ISN'T an issue anymore, or at least, not as BIG an issue.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    Disagree totally, Motorweek does a pretty good job on these and are quite interesting to watch...I've enjoyed this show since it debuted many years ago...great show!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• finfin Member Posts: 594
    This has been posted here many times before:

The bottom line is, it's my butt in the drivers seat, and at the bank each week making the payments, so I'm the only one who has to like it.

Agree completely... if I don't like the grille, I buy something else. Whoever makes the payments wins the right to enjoy the car, just that simple.

For now I keep the '07 Limited, if the '13 grille becomes a non-event in time, I buy. These are great cars, I've enjoyed each of the 3 generations... it would be hard to buy another make except Lexus, which I really can't see buying just for the "L" and warm cookies in the service waiting area. Then again, the cookies are... tempting.... :)