Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    Welcome to LA :(
    What size tires? I looking at buy a set of Rubicon tires from a guy at work for $900.00 and am wonderiing if I will reduce my gas mileage that much.
    If you drive 55 or under on the freeways around here you will get rearended. (Except rush hour)
  • iconoclasticonoclast Member Posts: 67
    I can certainly sympathize with your ordeal having come from Texas originally...with the heat and humidity dark colors can be rather hot. My wife and are tan lovers and have never really had a problem...no kids, just us. We also prefer the light exterior colors like white (which allows tan interior) because the sun gets real hot in western CO and southern Utah (105 degrees in summer) and the white or lighter colors reflect sunlight rather than obsorb it...keeps it a little cooler on the inside. I've seen tan in white jeeps, beryl green jeeps, impact orange jeeps, red jeeps, etc. Guess it depends on what color your going after, but tan is available in the above. Good luck!
    Cheer up. My wife’s 2003 Altama was stolen out of our driveway the same day we made the 2nd payment. When we got it back 2 weeks later there 2000 new miles on it and $3,500.00 damage. This should make you feel a little better about a couple of missing blinkers and a cut wire. Oh…to add to the damage it took 3½ to 4 weeks to get the car back.

But, on the bright side…if the Altama was not stolen I would not have barrowed a friend’s CJ-5, which was the reason I bought my TJ. So try to look for a positive if you can. :)
    200 to 225 per tank????

I get between 300 and 325 per tank and usually only have to put 17 gallons of fuel in the thing…and that's with an auto trans.
    :confuse:
    You can't wave pretty young girls in LA, unless you look rich…or is that just an Orange County thing?
    Cool Picture.

Hay is that a COP car in the background? And where are the houses that line the streets? And what’s that in the far background…are they trees?

You clearly don’t live in Southern California.
    ;)
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    gman:

You know you will need new wheels, too, right? Rubicon tires are 16", while other TJ's have 15" wheels and tires.

Tomster

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Glen:

Yeah, that's a KY State Police cruiser. My wife's neice is married to a KY State Trooper, and they live across the road and down a few hundred feet. That's their little girl in that one picture of Payton that I posted.

Tom

• 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    first of all, great story iconoclast!

I don't like to be negative on this board, but I need to vent about what happened / almost happened to my baby (still haven't come up with a clever name for her yet :confuse: ).

No offense, John, but the people here in CT / East coast really burn me up :mad: . Having grown up in Ohio, I grew up around curtious, nice people. Those people seem to be far and few between here, and it shows in their driving.

A few nights ago, I was on a highway(where 72 and 9 meet) heading home. I was in the "slow" lane going about 65 (speed limit on this stretch is 55).
    I see two vehicles in my rear view mirror, a car in the fast lane and a large pick-up truck in my lane. They're both coming up on me VERY fast. Rough guess is around 100mph. The guy in the truck, in his infinite wisdom, decides he going to squeeze between me and the guy he's playing cat and mouse with.

It got to the point where he was coming up on me so fast, I had no outs. All I could do was brace for impact. For those of you that have been a bad accident, you know that horrible feeling right before impact. That's the feeling I had.

Well, thank God, this guy somehow got through without killing me, himself or the other guy. When he made his diagonal cut between us, he clipped my license plate frame and rear drivers side flare. :sick: The flare has a small mark and doesn't need replaced. The license plate frame is destroyed. It's pretty scary to think he was couple inches from catching the tub, which would have easily spun me out of control.

Unfortunately, because it was dark, I was unable to get a make on the truck or get the license plate #. He was going much too fast for me to try to catch up to him.

The lack of State Trooper presence here makes me sick. These people drive however they want, because they know that there won't be a Trooper up around the next bend. I'm going to send this story on to my Representative, maybe it'll help get some money to the State police. :cry: I doubt it though.

Either way, it has just increased my desire to get back home to Ohio. I'm not naive, I know this could have happened just as easily in Ohio. The difference is, that it doesn't happen as frequently there.

-Dan
    Jeepers, Dan, they even named a town for ya in CT, and you are showing no appreciation at all.

I'm talking about DANbury, of course. :)

Tom

• durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    So DCX recommends 29 psi for full load on the original 30 inch GSA. I'll start with 29 psi then, that should be about 3 psi less than what I got right now on the Revo. Don't really want to go too much on the low pressure route, cuz this is one expensive tire for a 30 x 9.50, could have bought a Good Year RTS for less than 2/3 the price, but I needed the performance of a superior tire. I'll shift to Bilsteins before the end of the year, I'll tell the wife its routine maintenance.
  • billy318tibilly318ti Member Posts: 38
    Sorry about the same question again...But my neighbor is selling his 2003 hardtop,,and he said he'd give it to me for $500,,,,,i read about people able to fit an 03' hardtop on an 02'... does anyone else know if it's possible....thanks
  • eggmailmaneggmailman Member Posts: 2
    I will be using it as a daily driver. I'm leaning towards the longer wheel base unlimited but am undecided between sport and rubicon. I'm getting rid of an 02 Tundra that has been my daily driver. Looking to put some fun back into my days. I will be occasionally towing an 800 lb. sailboat if that helps. Love the impact Orange color but it does not come in the tan this year. Just me, no kids.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    I agree. I have lived in many places around the country and CT does not have curtious drivers. Happy to hear that you are OK.I have a friend who is a volunteer EMT and she treated alot of Wrangler drivers this winter who were involved in roll overs. Some from being rear ended and some just going too fast. Vent anytime-better to vent than turn into one of those crazy drivers. Driving should be fun, not a competition. But some folks drive like they are in a video game. Go Easy, John
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    eggmailman - the longer wheelbase of the Unlimited makes a more stable vehicle to drive, but doesn't seem to be as fun as the SWB Wranglers to me (could also be the difference between a manual and an auto - our Sport is a manual, our Unlimited is an auto) The Rubi may be a bit stiffer ride, though I didn't notice much difference the one time I took a SWB Rubi for a test drive (my Sport has the heavy duty shocks). Unless you really need the lockers, I would probably save my money and get a regular Unlimited (which I did).

The sailboat is within the towing capacity of either Wrangler. Since the Unlimited is more stable, it would probably be a better tow vehicle (I haven't towed with either one, so I'm just guessing).
    I don't tow anything, but I guess it is undisputed that the longer wheelbase of the Unlimited would be better for towing.

The Rubicon will have things that you most likely won't use much in the deep south. But, what the heck, if you like them, and if that's what you want, then getcha one.

There are better mud tires than what you will be getting on the Rubicon. Those MT/R's are great tires for most terrain, but they are not the best in mud, and I would guess you would encounter lots of mud in the south. The factory tires on the regular Unlimited are even worse in mud, so you would still give the advantage to the Rubicon on that standpoint.

I have some BFG Mud Terrains that do a REALLY good job in mud. Maybe you could swap the brand new MT/R's for some BFG Muds or some other tire. The MT/R's are more expensive than the BFG Muds.

Tom

It is a complete set, including wheels and tires
    East coast West cost there doesn’t seem to a large difference between fools on the road. However, here in California you run the risk of the guy being a "Banger" who might have “capped” you for scratching his car.
    Glen:

DO IT!

Thos Moab wheels are beautiful, and the MT/R's are supposed to be great tires. That's actually a pretty good deal you are getting, too.

Gotta post some pics after those puppies are installed.

Tom

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Billy, I (and others) didn't say it wasn't possible, just that it wasn't a good idea.

If you alter the headrail fixings it can be secured. However, as was pointed out before, the '03 Wrangler vents the interior through the tailgate. Your '02 vents through the hardtop. If you fit an '03 hardtop to your '02 then the HVAC will function very poorly except on recirc, and you'll find it tough to close the doors if the windows are shut.

But, you've heard all this before (see messages #15765, #15769,#16345) and you'd like a different answer, so................perhaps someone else can chime in and alter the facts a little for you!

• embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    If I recall from my days in New England, what we're really talking about when we discuss CT drivers are Boston drivers and New York drivers. Ugh. I know that "brace for impact" feeling all too well.

I can't tell you how many times in the course of a day I see accidents (and narrowly avoid many of them). I hope I never have to put the roll bars to the test, but I'm glad they're there.

Road Rage is a big problem in L.A. (and everywhere else apparently) but I find being in the Jeep to be most therapeutic. There's no point in getting upset on the road because, even if I wanted to, there's no way I'm going to catch the a-hole in the Porsche. So I drive as I drive, aloof and secure in my Wrangler perch. One eye on the road, and one eye on the idiots in the rear view.

I still get irked too at the lack of police presence on the road, and the knowledge that these idiot drivers share the road with my mom who drives the speed limit in her Honda Accord.

Too bad about the plate frame, but as you said, coulda been a lot worse. Glad you (and the Jeep) are okay.

-Mike
    I've noticed that many drivers on city streets don't seem to want to get too close to the Wrangler - could be all that steel it has. However, that doesn't hold true on the freeways - someone recently must have been so impressed with my Green Giant that they wanted to become my hood ornament - they came over into my lane right on top of us. Actually, I'm sure he wasn't paying any attention to us - he was getting pulled over by the highway patrol, so first he cuts us off (and nearly hits us), then pulls over to the right shoulder while still going pretty fast. I cringed when I heard him lock up his brakes as he suddenly noticed that another highway patrolman had a car pulled over right in front of him. I have no idea what he did originally but I'm sure they probably nailed him for at least another couple of traffic violations.

Drive safely out there - it really is a jungle. And be glad you're driving a heavy-duty, well built vehicle.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    My girlfriend has caught it now,,,

she not the type of person to go at anything slow,, she's decided she wants one, it would not surprise me if she calls tonight and says there is jeep in her driveway.

I'm trying to convince her to do all her homework (I'm even offering to do most of it for her) on pricing and options. But as everyone here knows,,once you've decided to buy a jeep,, its hard to be patient.

jeff
    changed my oil over the weekend, 4000 miles on mobil 1. its really black. I took it to Autozone for recycling, the guy there even commented on it, and for them to say its black, I"m assuming its much blacker than normal. I would guess they see oil coming in with alot more miles than mine.

any thoughts / concerns???

i dropped the service dept where i bought Nicole an email yesterday, but no response yet..

jeff
  • por2gesfiremanpor2gesfireman Member Posts: 16
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if the 05' Rubicon soft top is always a Sunrider top (sun roof)? in both by itself and when you get the dual top option? thanks {{{Mike}}}
  • por2gesfiremanpor2gesfireman Member Posts: 16
    Does the 4:1 Rock-Trac Part-Time 4WD System & "Tru-Lok" pneumatic locking frt/rear differentials with rear limited-slip work the same in 03'-05' Rubicons? Thanks {{{Mike}}}
    Jeff:

Chill. The dark oil isn't a sign of trouble. It concerned me too, but enough people told me not to worry that I didn't. I first encountered the dark oil on my 99 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 L engine. I don't know if that just happens with synthetic oil or not... can't remember now what people were saying back then.

Anyway, I am convinced that the oil turning dark is not an indicator of any kind of trouble. I'll try to find some posting on the subject to pass along.

Mac???? Help us here.

Tom

#1049 of 2730 Help me out here, guys! by tsjay Dec 28, 2001 (7:17 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply

You folks that are experienced with synthetic oil and extended drain intervals ought to be able to answer a question for me.

I have Mobil 1 10W-30 in my 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport. The oil has turned very, very dark after several months. Is this normal? The engine only has about 3500 miles on it since the last oil change, but a lot of time has gone by (I think about six months).

I was drving the Jeep daily to work, which is a 27 mile drive one way. Since almost all of my miles are highway miles, I was going with 5K intervals and Mobil 1 oil.

In mid July, I bought an '89 S-10 pickup to drive to work, and the Jeep now gets very few miles put on it. It sits in the garage up to two weeks at a time without even being started. I try to pick a dry day so it won't get dirty and drive it to work one day a week, but if there is a lot of rain, I may skip a week.

OK, I know it's a Jeep and I shouldn't be afraid to get it dirty, but if I have a choice two vechicles to drive to work, and one is clean and the other dirty, I drive the dirty one when the roads are wet.

The question is, should I be concerned about the dark color of the oil? (it is black) Apparently it is just the time factor causing the dark color, since I have only put about 3500 miles on that oil.

When you guys go 7K or 10K on your intervals, is your oil real dark after a few months?

Really would appreciate hearing from some of you.

Thanks

tom

Ok, I found that post in the "Engine Oil: A Slippery Subject" forum (think that was the name). It looks like I noticed the dark oil in Thelma Jane, not in my Grand Cherokee, like I said above.

Follow the thread for the next couple pages after that post. I got some good replies. It seems like the 4.0 L just turns oil dark for some reason. Not a problem.

Tomster

P.S. Notice that I said that I didn't drive Thelma Jane if it was raining? GEEZ!
    My girlfriend has caught it now,,,

she not the type of person to go at anything slow,, she's decided she wants one, it would not surprise me if she calls tonight and says there is jeep in her driveway.

I'm trying to convince her to do all her homework (I'm even offering to do most of it for her) on pricing and options. But as everyone here knows,,once you've decided to buy a jeep,, its hard to be patient.

jeff

Marry her! QUICK!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There are some outfits that will analyze an oil sample for you for around $10 - might be fun to do when then new stuff you just put in gets around 3,500 miles on it.

Steve, Host
  • iconoclasticonoclast Member Posts: 67
    Slight problem just occurred with the putting 31" tires on Unlimited so need some actual experience from others. Has anyone put new 31X10.5 Goodyear or BF Goodrich tires on an Unlimited without spacers or lifting it? And have you done some serious off-roading over rocks and ruts and rough country without them rubbing on the fenders or on tight turns? I'll explain later what the problem is...just need to hear from others first. Thanks...........
    thanks guys. A few years ago(when I had a Mustang) I would have tried to chase him down. I guess I've chilled out behind the wheel these last couple years.
    Gman- I'd probably lose my mind driving in LA.

How about something more positive...... I changed the oil myself for the first time on this Wrangler and it felt good. It helped that it was 70 yesterday. I made the switch to Mobil 1 as well. I've got around 54,000 miles on her and figured it can't hurt to make the switch to synthetic. My old oil was also really black.

Question though - Couldn't find a Mobil 1 filter, so I went with the Fram. Any opinion on this Filter? Is there really a big difference between the "cheap" and the more expensive filters?

-Dan
    Keith:

I have a buddy at work who owns a 97 Wrangler Sport and runs 31 x 10.50 BFG Muds on his factory Grizzly wheels (15" x 7" wheels with 5.5" backspacing). He has no lift at all on his Jeep. He disconnects his sway bar for wheelin', and he gets only very minor rubbing.

I have a two inch lift and run the same size tires, and I get some pretty bad rubbing on the flares. Thelma Jane's flares on the front fenders are pretty wrinkled from the rubbing. The differnce between my Bud and me is that he has the factory 5.5" backspacing, while I run after market wheels (AR 767s) with only 4" of backspacing. My tires stick out past the flares and get into the flares at full stuff with the wheels turned, but his tires stay inside the flares at full stuff. Now, if he turns the wheel, he can get a little rub.

You can go with the 31 x 10.50 tires, Keith, and stay with your Moab wheels. I would not recommend that you disconnect your sway bar, though, for wheelin', unless you don't mind some rubbing and possible distortion of your flares.

You can see from the pics below how the front tire stuffs inside the flare, but if the wheels were turned to the left or right, the tire would get into the flare. You can also see the awesome flex I get when the sway bar is disconnected! It sure evens out the ride. Look at the angle of the front axle and how level the cabin is. Now imagine if the whole Jeep was at the same angle as that front axle. I would feel like I was about ready to tip over. That guy there was so overwhelmed by the amount of flex I get that he passed out. :)

Tomster

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Briefly, the blacker the oil the more contaminants it's holding in suspension, which is a good thing. The largest particles get removed by the filter, the rest get removed with the oil itself when it gets changed. The 4.0 is an old design with larger clearances than a modern engine. This means more piston blow-by, therefore more contamination, which is a good reason not to extend oil change intervals.

Regarding oil filters, yes there's a difference between cheap and expensive. However, there are some good cheap ones, like Wal-Mart's own brand (SuperTech), and there are some (like Fram's cheapies), that I'd never install.
    Thanks for the filter info.
    I bought the Fram "Tough Guard" version. I'll look around a little harder next time for the Mobil 1 or the Supertech.

-Dan
    "Does anyone know if the 05' Rubicon soft top is always a Sunrider top (sun roof)? in both by itself and when you get the dual top option? thanks"

The Sunrider option is only available on an Unlimited, not the short wheel base Wranglers. So it would be available on an Unlimited Rubicon but not a regular Rubicon. It is the way the Unlimited's soft top is designed, so as far as I know, you would get any Unlimited with a soft top with it, regardless of whether it is a soft top only or dual top. I think it's really neat - I've used mine a couple of times.
  • trew123trew123 Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to drop a line to all here to say thanks! I ordered a new Sport about three weeks ago with all of the options that I want. I have always wanted one and since I put my foot down and told my wife that I am getting what I want this time (read: wife and 2 kids approved), my new patriot blue soon-to-be big tired baby is on its way! This group has helped me figure out what I want to add / disregard etc. that I just say thanks!

Trew
    Trew:

Welcome and CONGRATULATIONS on that new Sport!

If we have been a help to you, then that's super. Glad we were of assistance.

Stick around and be part of the family.

I'm sure happy for ya! I know you are gonna love that Jeep.

Tom

its a relief to hear others looks the same and isn't a symptom of problems..

jts
  • newbie2005newbie2005 Member Posts: 2
    Just saw this forum tonight and I will be a new owner as soon as I can get as much research as possible. I have never owned a Wrangler (or a Jeep for that matter), but have reached a point where I really want to get one. Sounds like most of you have already reached that point........

I live in MN and will use it hunting and fishing on anything from gravel roads to no roads at all, but no mts or even large hills in the near vicinity. I will also us it to commute 30-40 miles each day. I will take any suggestions that you are willing to use board space for. If it is too much, feel free to email me with suggestions.

From what I have read so far, most seem to like the 6 vs 4, but what else should I be looking at. Most seem to put on the 31" x 10.5" tires. I know model is personal preference, but have any of you owned various models and would pick one you like best. Would you buy new or used? I would imagine I would want a hard top due to the cold weather in MN, but I think I would need a soft top too because I know I will pull it off any chance I get.

I also have kids ages 5 and 7 so is the back seat feasible for them. Thanks in advance for any comments,
    Paul
    You're not a saint are ya??? :)

Welcome, Paul! Glad you have joined us.

All of us will be more than happy to fill you in about these wonderful things called Wranglers.

You have quite apparently been sticken with Wrangler Fever, and the ONLY cure is to "getcha" one.

Let me make a suggestion. Read the back posts. Doubt if you will read all of the 16K + posts, but spend some time reading as many as you can. Also, the search feature works pretty well, so take advantage of it.

This will work better if we respond to specific questions. These questions will occur to you as you read the old posts, and some of these questions may actually be answered as you read.

Lord knows we love to talk Jeep, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

If you want the 4.0 L six cylinder engine, then you have eliminated one model from consideration, the SE model, which offers only the four banger. That leaves you the X, the Sport, the Sahara (they still makin' Sahara's?), or the Rubicon. Don't forget the Unlimited, which comes in a regular and in a Rubicon version. If you need the extra room, the Unlimited might be what you want.

I'll bet you will encounter LOTS of mud in the type of off roading you will be doing up there in MN, so really good, agressive mud tires will be important for you.

I would also plan on getting a winch as one of your earliest mods. You say you will be out in the woods for hunting purposes, so I'm guessing you will be alone out there a lot. A winch might be your best friend at times.

Paul, you sound like the perfect candidate for a Jeep, since you are an outdoors person. You have a young family, and those kids will always remember the good times in the Jeep. Hopefully, mom will fall in love with the Jeep too.

You ought to do the Jeep Jambo up near Gilbert, MN, sometime. I have seen video from the first couple years they had it there, and those people were having FUN!

Ask any and all questions. We'll help ya all we can.

Tom

• jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    Eugene my 98 TJ turn over 200K this week
    Life is good
    Walt
    :)
    200K! WOW! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

How about some details?

Which engine? What kind of use has Eugene seen? What problems have you had to have taken care of over all those miles?

Tom

Paul:

One BIGGIE that I should mention is gearing. I don't know if you are getting the four speed automatic or the six speed manual, but either way, gearing is important.

You will most likely want to go with oversize tires at some point, so you want gearing that can handle them. Re-gearing is very expensive.

I think you would do well to avoid the 3.07 gearing. I personally know people who have that gearing and run 31" to 33" tires. They HATE their gearing. They have totally lost the use of 5th gear. Their crawl speed in four low is WAY too fast. They don't get good compression braking going down steep hills.

If they still have such a thing, that AAS package is a KILLER deal. It used to be only $850, and it got you the real nice aluminum (alloy?) wheels (They were the Canyon wheels when I got Thelma Jane, but they have gone to the Ravine wheel now, which I think is just a nice as the Canyon), gas shocks, 30" tires (GSA's unfortunately, which people say stands for Get Stuck Anywhere's), and the Dana 44 rear end with 3.73 gears. This is just a SUPER GOOD DEAL. You may never need it, but you will get the Dana 44 rear end in that package, and it is a much stronger axle than the Dana 35. What you would benefit most from with that package are the nice wheels and the good gearing.

Tomster

P.S.

If you would like to check out my website about my buying experience with Thelma Jane, here's the link....

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~tsjay51/thelma.html

Also, I have put together a little website about my favorite wheelin' spot, Turkey Bay in Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area in western KY. There is some stuff in there that might help you a little about what mods to get for your Jeep.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I was waiting for the D44 plug! :) Keep in mind the Unlimiteds already have it. And the Rubi's have the 4.11 gearing, which is a big plus.

Paul (nice name BTW), Tom is a vast fountain of knowledge on Jeep features! For your activities a Wrangler is an ideal vehicle for you. I agree, a winch would be pretty much a necessity for you. You could even use it to haul the game closer to your vehicle. :)

As for type of Wrangler, I'd recommend an Unlimited for your hunting. If you plan to bring back game, the Unlimited will give you more room for your hunting gear and the catches of the day. If you plan on doing a lot of stuff out in the woods with it, you could even go so far as to remove all carpet and put in Line-X or some kind of spray in bedliner. This will make it a lot easier to hose out after your trips to get the mud and everything else out.

-Paul
    200K? Wow, and I thought I put a bunch of miles on mine. My '98 seems to be getting less and less use - it only has 122,000 miles on the odo.
    I've either got to accept the auto dimming mirror on the Unlimited or take it into the shop in the next couple of days. Does anyone else notice whether theirs seems to dim in shadows during the day, especially in the afternoons? Since it is too bright out to put on headlights, it makes it tough to see other cars sometimes. I can (and have) just turned the autodimming feature off on occasion, so it isn't that big of a deal. However, if the mirror isn't working right I need to do something about it now - I've got almost 32,000 miles on it now and it will be soon out of the bumper to bumper warranty. If this is just the way things are with the mirror, I'll leave it alone, but if it is that my mirror is too sensitive, then I'd like to change it out. Anyone else have experience?
  • stillersstillers Member Posts: 1
    After a weekend in the airport parking lot, my '02 Wrangler has issues.

Air bag light was flashing on the dash when I got in (Had not happened before). No power to electrical systems and won't start. Jump did nothing.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.