Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• jescue1jescue1 Member Posts: 12
    My 04 Rubicon has the auto dimming mirror-it does the same thing. I notice it when I back out of the garage during the day.It takes quite a while for it to brighten up again,and other cars do not seen to do this.Same thing happens when I drive on a shady road-it is worse with the top down.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    It sounds like a bad battery. I mean a DEAD battery that won't even allow your Jeep to start with a jump. It could be the posts are corroded, or there could be a loose connection, though.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    I retrofit an autodimm/compass mirror in my Jeep and it works well, top on or off. Fast reaction to changes in light. It's half dark in my garage then takes a few seconds or less to lighten completely up once I back out. Does your TJL have tinted windows? If so, that may be the cause. Mine are clear and it seems to work as expected. You could test by pulling the rear window one day or driving other similar jeeps at your dealership. HTH

-twylie
  • gobroncosgobroncos Member Posts: 1
    Hey everybody, after recently selling my '98 Mustang GT and for years riding in my best friends CJ-7 I'm attempting to get a wrangler myself. Unfortunately seing as i am a poor college student in Michigan (I go to WMU) I am forced to go quite a few years ('97ish) back to find some in my price range. I have found a couple that would suit my needs and allow me to do all the fun stuff too ;) . My question really is that im looking at some jeeps that have higher milage than some of the others posted but are also cheaper, and im wondering how the Wrangler performs on higher mileages say over 115k (im under the idea that these have been relatively well kept and they both seem to be in the same good condition). All that i am looking at are the In-line 6 cyl. All this is because im looking at two mainly one with 105k and one with 130k, and the one with 130k is about a grand cheaper which would save me a lot right now, but i dont want to be spending more than that because i got one with more miles on it.

I guess im justt looking for a little insight on how the wrangler is with so many miles on it, thanks.

-Kevin
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    i stopped at the dealership to verify that mine worked at all.

i had never noticed it dim until one of the service people demonstrated it for me. I couldn't see much difference.

with the dark tinting on the HT windows,,i'm not sure how much benefit it gives.

jeff
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Without examining the vehicle in question, I can can only say it depends on how it's been treated and serviced. Driven sensibly and serviced regularly the 4.0 should easily exceed 200K. In fact there is a report of just such an example a few posts back. Even average vehicles seem to reach 150k in good condition.
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I just tripped 20K. Woo-Hoo!

For those buying Jeeps, I turned here first when I was in the market (especially after finding out my local Jeep salesman drove a Rav4). Everyone was enormously friendly and helpful. And Tom's always available to try to talk you into BIG tires.

-Mike
  • iconoclasticonoclast Member Posts: 67
    SORRY I HAVE TAKEN SO LONG TO REPLY...IT'S THAT DANG WORK JUNK AGAIN. I PUT BF GOODRICH AT/KO ON THE UNLIMITED IN A 31X10.5 AND THEY LOOK GREAT, RIDE GREAT, AND MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD IN HOW THAT JEEP LOOKS. I PUT IT BESIDE A RUBICON UNLIMITED AND WITHOUT THE NAME ON THE HOOD YOU WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE (UNLESS YOUR STARING AT THE TIRES). I DECIDED ON THESE TIRES FOR ALL AROUND PERFORMANCE IN WHAT I LIKE TO DO WHICH IS MOSTLY THE MOUNTAINS OF COLORADO AND THE ROCKS AND DIRT OF UTAH. THEY'RE NOT GOING TO BE THE BEST FOR MUD, BUT DO BELIEVE I WILL GET OUT OF THAT CLAY THAT TURNS TO CONCRETE IN UTAH WHEN THOSE "OUT OF NOWHERE" RAIN STORMS HIT. IF I CAN EVER FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT A PICTURE ON THIS FORUM, IT WILL BE DONE BECAUSE THIS VEHICLE IS "BEYOND AWESOME" LOOKING. IT IS WHITE WITH A KIWI TOP (NOT GREY)...A CROSS BETWEEN GREY AND TAN...FABULOUS LOOK.
    ABOUT THESE TIRES AND FIT...I TALKED TO LOTS OF PEOPLE, JEEP DEALER, TIRE DEALER, 4X4 SHOPS, AND THIS FORUM...LOTS OF DIFFERENT ANSWERS. I GOT MY 4X4 MAN TO RECOMMEND HIS BUDDY AT DISCOUNT TIRES...AND WE WATCHED AS THEY WENT ON AND CHECKED FOR ADEQUATE SPACING. SO FAR THEY LOOK FINE AND SHOULD DO THE TRICK...IF THEY RUB AT ALL IT WILL BE UNDER THE MOST EXTREME CONDITIONS (AND THEN IT'S A 2" LIFT TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM). TO SAY WE ARE EXCITED WITH THE LOOK IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT...THIS IS ONE BEAUTIFUL MACHINE WITH THOSE BIGGER TIRES ON HER. THE DEALER GAVE ME $60 EACH FOR THE 5 GSA THAT CAME ON THE CAR AND I JUMPED ALL OVER THAT DEAL. HOPE TO POST A PICTURE SOON AFTER I READ TOM'S ADVICE ON HOW TO DO IT. NEXT TO MY WIFE (WHO IS MY BEST FRIEND AND LOVES JEEPS AND THE WILDS AS MUCH AS I DO) THIS IS THE PRETTIEST MEMBER OF OUR FAMILY! LOTS OF STARES ON THE WAY HOME FROM THE TIRE DEALER AND ONE GUY AT THE COFFEE SHOP ACTUALLY WALKED UP AND SAID "GREAT RUBICON"...FORGOT TO LOOK AT THE HOOD! :D
    OOHHHHH ,,, those all caps make it very hard to read,,, and when my program director sent me an all caps email I thought he was YELLING at me...

anyway,, to post pics to forum,,,

upload your pictures,,
    your pictures will display with appropriate links below the pictures

then copy the link and paste it into your message,, its really simple.

use the link labeled "tag"
    So sorry about the ALL CAPS...some of us older guys have a hard time seeing these days. Wasn't YELLING at you...not my style. Will try to behave next time...don't want to make the teacher mad and get bad grades. Hope this is better for forum readers. :sick:
    Much better! Thank you! :)

OK, do you understand what Jeff was telling you about posting a pic? The pic HAS to be hosted on the Net somewhere. Like Jeff said, Photobucket.com is a place that has free accounts for hosting pics, and they allow direct linking.

You really oughta learn how to do that, but if you are just dying to get one posted, send it to me via email (my email address is public in my profile). I will post it in my photobucket account and make it show up in a post here. Please send me JUST ONE pic. I am on dial up, and it takes forever for an email to open when it contains a pic. Be sure in the subject area of the email to identify yourself, so I won't be afraid to open the email.

I like your choice of tires. If I didn't encounter so much mud in my wheelin', I would run BFG All Terrains on Thelma Jane. I actually had a set of them before getting my BFG Muds. They were great tires.

Now, be sure and not run too much pressure in them. Those tire places often way over inflate the tires. No more than 28 psi shoudl be necessary or desirable. Too much air pressure makes the ride too harsh, and it wears out the tread in the middle of the tires.

That was a REALLY good deal you got for trade in on your old tires. Good job!

Tom

• 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    My '99 is at about 55,000 miles. I bought it used a little over a year ago.
    Other than oil changes I don't believe the 2 people that owned it before me did any other maintenance. What, if anything, do you guys recommend?
    New plugs? Radiator flush? Transmission?

-Dan
  • newbie2005newbie2005 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help. I will do my research on the past posts. I have limited time during the day so most research will be done at this time.

Tom, I have family near Gilbert so I will look into the Jeep Jambo.

Thx again to all.
    Paul

ps - no saint :)
    Paul:

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/ohv/iron_range/gilbert/index.html

http://www.irontrail.org/Recreation/Winter/ATV-OHV+Riding/Iron+Range+Off-Highway+Vehicle+R- ecreation+Area/

Check out those sites. I didn't take time to look at them in detail, but that is the place that I mentioned in the previous post where they have Jeep Jamborees.

I didn't mean to discourage you from asking questions when I recommended that you read past posts. We here at Edmunds Jeep Wrangler don't mind answering questions that have been asked before. You won't get flamed in here for that.

It's just that you might not even think to ask a particular question, and it might turn out to be "a biggie." Reading old posts might very well bring that issue to light for you, and it might cause you to ask an important question or two.

You are going to be spending lots of money on something that is unlike any other vehicle that you have ever bought. There are considerations in buying a Jeep that are unique to Jeeps, and it is important that you are aware of these considerations and make the proper choices for your particular situation. This way, when all is said and done, you are going to be satisfied with that Jeep, having no regrets about not having this, or not having that, or having this or that and wishing you didn't.

If I remember correctly, you mentioned the possiblity of buying used? Well, if there is ANY way to buy new, remember, you get the 7 yr/ 70,000 mile warranty, which is going to be discontinued after the 05 model year. There is also a rebate now, which was $1000 last I heard (haven't tried to keep up with it). Put these facts together with the high resale value of used Jeeps, and you can see that the argument for buying new is strong.

Paul, I wish you the very best of luck in getting the "perfect" Jeep for your needs. We're here to help you accomplish that.

Tom

• jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    Eugene is a 98 sport soft-top ½ doors with auto and air. I pick him up in late 99 with 6k on the odo. I did add cruise, CB and tented windows. I use Model 1 and change the oil around 5k I also service the Trans and transfer case between 30 and 35 k the only repairs that I have done are , at 78k replace the Radiator and at 141k a A/C leak. I also have a 91 YJ (Sally) with 161k showing that the wife drives. The service records for Sally and it shows that rear axel was replaced at 143k. And at 159k I had a little front end work and a rear axel bearing replace. On the week ends I use Eugene off road on the farm when my 80 CJ is out of service.

Mtngal If you had been driving your 98 TJ 90% of the time to work like I do, you would have pass me (in mileage) a long time ago.

Have a great day Walt
    Dan:

Not sure about 99's, but the 01's had that orange coolant that is supposed to be good for 100K miles or something like that. Well, they can claim whatever they want to, but no way I am gonna leave the same coolant in Thelma Jane for 100K miles. I changed her over to the regular green antifreeze (Prestone) after a couple years and will be changing coolant every two years.

If you are not sure when your coolant was changed, it might be a good idea to change it. You can at least take a look at it.

Do you know if your Jeep was off roaded before you bought it? It might not hurt to change the fluids in your differentials, t-case, and tranny.

Be sure to use the proper fluids, if you do these things. Your owners manual could be calling for the wrong type of oil for the manual tranny! DC was calling for a particular class of oil for a few years, but the sulfur in that class of oil was eating the brass synchronizers.

DC never admitted that they were wrong, but they DID change their recommended class of oil. It was GL-5 that was eating up synchronizers, even though this is what the owners manual called for. DC eventually backed off and called for GL-4 oil, but they never acknowledged the problem with the GL-5. There may be certain brands of GL-5 oils that are OK, but to be safe, I would use GL-4. Whatever you use, be sure it doesn't have an appetite for yellow metals (GL-4 doesn't).

Tomster

Wow, Walt, you and Jeeps have a long history together, huh?

Sounds like both the TJ and the YJ have been extremely reliable vehicles.

Thanks for the details.

Tom

I did a search on " GL- " and found that we had a hot discussion in here on the subject of GL-5 oil in October of 2003. Take a look, if you are interested. Just do what I did... type in GL- in the search window.

Tom

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    If I were in the market for my first Wrangler I'd probably have to weigh the high resale value against buying new also. The Wrangler is one tough vehicle and so buying used is probably safer than buying some other vehicles used.

If you look at the '98 model year, a few of them had an intermittent dash gauge problem. The engine would be running, and all of a sudden the dash gauges would go blank and the airbag light would go on. You wouldn't have anything - no odometer, no gas gauge, no speedometer. Very disconcerting, though it was an easy fix and didn't require any parts (a friend of mine helped me to fix my Sport, and it couldn't have been easier with the instructions on the internet). Because the fix is so easy I wouldn't rule out a vehicle that has this problem - just something to be aware of.

And yes, we don't mind answering questions that have been asked before. As time goes on we all gain new experiences.
  • por2gesfiremanpor2gesfireman Member Posts: 16
    The current rebates are as follows for the new wranglers,

$1000.00 for going with Chrysler finance
    $750.00 Cash rebate
    $500.00 Military discount
    $500.00 Firefighter/EMT/Police discount

p.s. thanks for getting to my sunrider top question
    Mike:

It was Mtngal that answered your sunrider top question in post #16484, not me.

Thanks for the info on incentives.

Tom

If nothing other than oil changes have been done you're long overdue for some major service items.

So.......................change all fluids and lubricants, all filters, plugs, cap, rotor and wires, serpentine belt, grease all zerk fittings on the front suspension and steering, check and clean the brakes, replace wiper blades, rotate and balance wheels and tires, lubricate hinges and locks.

Always flush the cooling system when you change the coolant. What transmission do you have?
    Tom, you're on dial-up?! For all the time you invest in this group, that must be a royal pain. Like driving a 2 cylinder Jeep. Didn't Edmunds give you a well-deserved MVP award recently for all the good work you do here? Now knowing you do it despite a dial-up connection... Jeez, you should get a medal of valor!

-Mike">
  • offroadindaddyoffroadindaddy Member Posts: 9
    I have a 97 wrangler and it does the dead gauge trick from time to time but then they come back. How do you fix that?
    To Kevin at WMU. ( I used to live in K-Zoo) I bought my jeep a little over a year ago with 62,000 miles on it. It is a 4cyl 5 speed and I love it. I have only had problems with O2 sensors, radiator, transmission leak, alternator, and the slave cylinder. I dont know if you are handy with jeeps but I was able to fix all these problems relatively cheep by getting replacement parts for the salvage yards rather than the dealer. Also there is an Ebay store that deals only in TJ parts that has some good deals on used parts. I think it is called TJ recyclers or Jeep recyclers or something like that.

I love my Jeep :D
    Steve
    Tom, Tom, Tom,,

You could post so many more messages in the same amount of time if you only had a DSL or Cable Connection :)

my email address is in my profile too,, i'll gladly post pictures for anyone that isnt' sure how. I have a DSL connection, size isn't much of an issue. like Tom said, just be sure to identify what you are sending me, so I don't mistakenly call that new unlimited a Rubi,, those Rubi owners are kind of proud of their distinction.

Tire Pressure

Tom,, once again your comments are very timely. I hadn't checked the pressure in my tires since the new ones were installed at SAMs. I just assumed that the lift kit made my jeep ride like the grain truck on my uncle's farm. Dropped them from 40 to 29 psi,, she's riding much better now and drives better, not sure if that is in my imagination, but it seems that the steering is better too, seems to hold a line better on the hwy.
    It's not your imagination, Jeff. Properly inflated tires ride better, hold the road better, and last longer than over-inflated tires. Underinflation "ain't good" either.

I could tell a huge difference in ride and handling between the 35 psi that I started with on my BFG All Terrains many moons ago and the 28 psi I ended up at. I started experimenting with different pressures, and I found that I could even tell the difference between 28 psi and 31 psi.

I kept the same 28 psi pressure when I went to the BFG Muds, and it works equally as well.

The weight of the vehicle determines what pressure a particular type of tire should be inflated to. The tire manufacturer doesn't know what type of vehicle the tire will end up on, so he just prints the MAXIMUM inflation pressure on the sidewall.

Some clown at the tire store sees that maximum pressure and assumes that he should inflate the tire to that pressure without regard to the weight of the vehicle he is installing the tire on.

The tire manufacturer prints the maximum load on the sidewall in addition to the maximum pressure. The max pressure should only be used for the max load. If I remember correctly, the BFG Muds I am running now give a max pressure of 50 psi and a max load of 2250 lbs. So, if my Jeep weighed 9000 lbs (4 x 2250 = 9000), then I should inflate the tires to 50 psi. Of course, Jeeps only weight about 3500 lbs, not 9000 lbs. (I might be off on the 2250 lbs as the max load, since I am going from memory, but the principle of max pressure only for max load holds true regardless.)

The footprint of the tire is the best indicator of proper inflation. Apply a coat of chalk all the way across the tread of one tire, then drive a few feet to make that chalked section of tread contact the pavement. Look at the "footprint" the tire left on the pavement. If the chalk on the pavement is all the way across, like it was on the tire, you have a good footprint and have found your ideal pressure. If the chalk is found only in the center of the tread, then the tire is overinflated, since only the center portion of tread is contacting the road. If only the edges of the tread are leaving chalk on the pavement, then the tire is underinflated and making contact only on the outer edges of the tread.

Tom

• keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Mtngal,

I read your post last night while sitting in a very boaring grad school class, so I checked as soon as I went out to my Jeep. I was in a dark parking garage, and it worked fine. Checked it several times on my drive home, and no problem what so ever. I do have the factory dark tint windows on both tops and have never noticed any problem. Sounds like you should get that fixed before your warranty is up.
    Tom, you're on dial-up?! For all the time you invest in this group, that must be a royal pain. Like driving a 2 cylinder Jeep. Didn't Edmunds give you a well-deserved MVP award recently for all the good work you do here? Now knowing you do it despite a dial-up connection... Jeez, you should get a medal of valor!

-Mike">

Aw shucks, no need for a medal..... just send MONEY! :)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    just send MONEY!

Ahem! No soliciting, please! ;)

My cable was out this morning so I had to use dial up - it was quite painful! Believe it or not, there are still many areas in the country with no access to broadband. You could get an iPAQ and piggyback onto someone's WiFi - unfortunately edmunds2go.com doesn't provide access to the boards but it's great to have pricing and other info available at a dealership!

tidester, host
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    What kind of pressure would you recommend for a 30" BFG AT? I am pretty sure mine are overinflated, but not sure what to set it to.

Would you think 28 for them too?

-Paul
    Thanks, Tom...always good to hear from you. I will figure out the Photobucket situation and send some photos. I'll listen to your advice on the tire pressure, but I do like a very stiff ride. The guy at the shop is a CO off-road junkie and runs 33 in the same tire. Too much and cause wear in the middle?? :D
    Well, the width of the rims is a factor in determining the ideal pressure, and you are running 8" rims like I am (your Canyons are 8"), so I would say the same pressure should work.

Your Jeep being a four banger and having a soft top would be lighter than Thelma Jane, so you could even go a little lower on pressure maybe.

Do that footprint test, if you want to really zero in on the sweet spot.

Tom

Some how and some way I just got a bulletin from DC via the internet indicating that if I buy before May 2 I can take another $500 off the $1000 and $750. Since I already bought the Jeep last Saturday, I went back to the dealership and they are going to process the e-mail account number and send me a check for the $500. All I know I did to deserve this was go on to the Jeep.com site or ask for a price from the dealership via e-mail...bingo, there it was last night. Worth looking into...$500 is $500...just paid for my new tires!! Good luck...... :D
    Keith:

Yes, overinflated tires bulge too much in cross section, and this puts only the center portion of the tread in contact with the road. This is not a good thing. It not only wears out the tire quicker, but it puts less "rubber on the road," which means less grip. This can cause you to spin out when you might otherwise stay in control in an emergency swerve, especially when traction is marginal anyway, like on wet roads.

There really is only one acceptable range for a given tire on a given vehicle, and the air pressure should not be adjusted for ride quality. I was just saying earlier that overinflated tires make for a harsher ride, but that is the LEAST of the problems an overinflated tire can cause. Get a different type of tire with a stiffer or a softer side wall, if you want a stiffer or a softer ride, or get different shocks, but you shouldn't adjust tire pressure for ride quality. The tire pressure should be adjusted for the optimum contact of the tread with the road, i.e. EVEN contact all the way across the width of the tread.

Hurry up and post a pic of the Unlimited!!!

Tom

Some how and some way I just got a bulletin from DC via the internet indicating that if I buy before May 2 I can take another $500 off the $1000 and $750. Since I already bought the Jeep last Saturday, I went back to the dealership and they are going to process the e-mail account number and send me a check for the $500. All I know I did to deserve this was go on to the Jeep.com site or ask for a price from the dealership via e-mail...bingo, there it was last night. Worth looking into...$500 is $500...just paid for my new tires!! Good luck......

Wow! That is super, Keith! I'm happy for ya, Dude!

Tom

Thanks Tom and Mac!

Tom, I'll check the discussion on the GL-4/5.
    I would probably leave that to the Pros though.

Mac, I have a 5 speed manual.
    I did change the serpentine belt, but I think it loosened up.
    It's been chirping on cold starts.
    I figured it was about time for plugs/cap/wires.

-Dan
    If it's a manual make sure to use GL3 and unlike an auto, there's no filter.

Serpentine belts need to be pretty tight, you should just be able to turn it 90º with your finger and thumb, much tighter than a regular fan belt.
    I looked back and found the post that twylie posted (back in 2003) to find the link to the site that had the directions. Unfortunately, the link no longer works. I had thought that it was only some 98s that were affected (there was a TSB on it, if that helps you). Basically, you take apart the front of the dash (little more than removing a couple of screws) and remove the instrument cluster (all one piece). There are all kinds of contacts on the back that we just tweeked a bit so that they made proper contact with their receptacles in the dash (you could see which ones weren't making proper contact). Then put it all back together again. I've had no problems since.
    I thought you'd take that one mtngal. I don't know if you did it or not, but it's a good idea to squirt a little dielectric grease in the receptacles before plugging the pins back in.

I think you could also have mentioned how long you put it off for, thinking it would be difficult, then how easy it turned out to be when you finally fixed it!

:--)
  • offroadindaddyoffroadindaddy Member Posts: 9
    Thanks I will give that a try. I too thought it would be something difficult.

Do any of you guys know anything about towing a jeep on the highway. I am going to camp jeep this year and my jeep will only go about 60mph on the highway. Probably slower with all my junk in it. So I was thinking of towing it with my truck. Will that hurt the drive line on my Jeep?
    Steve
    Mac's right - I forgot about using the dielectric grease. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I used it and I haven't had any problems since then. He's also right about how long I put up with it - at least a couple of years. And I agonized over doing it because I'm not exactly a mechanical person. If you look way back (like 2003) you'll see my total delight when I finally did something about it.

I've never towed mine, but it sounds like an easy thing to do. Do you have an owners manual? If so, there are directions in there for towing both the automatic and the manual (which tranny do you have?). While I read the instructions, I didn't pay that much attention to them. I vaguely remember you need to have the transfer case in neutral. If you want more info, let me know which tranny you have and I'll look at my owners manual tonight.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Tom, you will love this question because I know you hate the tire. I am still running the original GSA'S (at least for another 3 months) and I am curious as to your recommendation for tire pressure. Taking a road trip in the Jeep next week . Should be interesting. From Connecticut to Toronto. My wifes sister lives in Toronto and she wants to take the Jeep (her 1st major trip in a Jeep) and she has offered to pay for the gas. I am sure she will be surprised when she keeps opening her wallet. Rosie LOVES gas and my wife is under the impression that Rosie gets excellent milage. I wonder where she heard that information?:) Hope all is well. Give Ross Allen a hug for me. Go Easy, John
    John:

If you are running the original equipment factory tires, then I would just go by the factory recommended tire pressure. I think they give that info on the door or somewhere, right?

Didn't Mac or someone say that 29 psi is what DC recommends?

Tom

I know we were discussing Jeep security not too long ago. For those in the buying phase, it's easy to overlook getting a locking gas cap. Totally worth it to me. If anyone wanted to dump sand or sugar in the tank, that would pretty much be the ball game. Sadly, it occurs to me that the engine compartment is woefully unprotected. Anybody can pop it open from the outside. I wonder if someone makes a locking device; if not maybe we can invent one and use the proceeds to buy Tom a cable modem! But still, Jeep security is an uphill battle. Locked my keys in the Wrangler the other day. Call AAA? Nope. Just a zip here and a zip there and I was in. Been thinking about a motion alarm with an interior sensor, but at a certain point it gets ridiculous and you just take your chances (and pay for really good insurance).

-Mike
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    one version goes over the side clips. Another prohibits the releasing the latch under the hood. The keyhole for the second one sticks between the grille slots. This the method I'll probably use when I add it.

-Paul
    John:

I just went and looked inside the door opening next to the dash on Thelma Jane's drivers side and found the tag with the recommended tire pressure. They didn't even list the proper tire. They show that the pressure should be 33 psi for the 215/75R15 tire on 15 x 7 rims. I guess that is the small tire that people get who do not get the 30" tire package.

Thelma Jane came from the factory with 30" x 9.5" GSA tires, and the rims were 15 x 8 Canyon style, not 15 x 7 like the tag said.

So, there was no factory recommended pressure for my Jeep. :confuse:

I think you should be OK at 30 to 33 lbs, but you can do that footprint test, if you want to try it.

Just for the heck of it, what does the sidewall of the tire show for maximum load and maximum pressure????

Tom

"So, there was no factory recommended pressure for my Jeep?"

Ahem....................I think you'll find it clearly printed in your Owners Manual!
    and it just refers to that tag. It says the tag is on the rear facing edge of the drivers door or something to that effect. But, the tag that I found is on the forward edge of the body where the drivers door opens, close to the dash.

So, what's the deal? How would a guy who got the 30" tire package know what pressure to use?

Tom

I too have been putting off fixing the flaky gauge connector issue.
    I've slapped the top of the dash for the last time :) I'm going to fix it this weekend! :surprise:

-Dan