Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Where are the worst drivers?

fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
We have this argument all the time. Of course we're in Jersey where most people will say the worst drivers come from but I think you just have to be used to us.

To me, for sheer unpredictability, you can't beat Massachusetts drivers. For sheer speed in vehicles that shouldn't go that fact you can't beat Quebec. New York wins the prize for having to be ahead of you no matter the speed. If they are driving 15 mph and pass them at 25, they'll zip around you and go back to 15....

Anyone?
2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
Tagged:

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just got back from the NE and couldn't wait to get off the Mass. Turnpike. The NY Turnpike seemed mild by comparison.

Was yakking with someone from Ontario about the awful conditions on the 401 and he said that Canadian trucks mostly have governors on them now that limits speeds to 65 mph. So even the Quebec truckers have cooled their jets a bit. We still avoided that road - we did go through Montreal and had no issues with the drivers.

Seattle attracts an impatient crowd. Something about all those lakes and bridges squeezing traffic every half mile maybe. Or the rain. :confuse:
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I drive in Massachusetts at least twice a year. You have to put yourself in the mindset for it ahead of time. Triply so if going to Boston.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    The worst drivers are...everywhere!

I think many in Seattle are too patient - I have never been to another place where people will stop on busy roads to let others exit driveways.

NY looks like a fun adventure where driving is war, ATL is amusing - crawlers and fliers, huge speed differentials, southern CA bumper to bumper at 75...something for everyone in this great country.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    OREGON DRIVERS!

At least, outside of the Portland metro area, they appear to sleep whilst driving.

LOTS of LLC/Blocking, can't drive in the rain...

:sick:
    Oregonians seem to drive faster than WA locals on I-5 anyway...not sure if the revenue collectors go easier on them or what. I remember back in the day when Oregon had higher speed limits too.

I have never seen LLCing like 5/405/167, goldmines for obstruction.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I drive in Massachusetts at least twice a year. You have to put yourself in the mindset for it ahead of time. Triply so if going to Boston.

We MA drivers are the best around!!

In reality we do seem a bit more aggressive than the rest of the country.
    I was wondering when you were going to show up! :D

I always figured that Boston highway signs play a big part in that special Massachusetts way of driving. I remember for years (haven't been lately to check) on Storrow Drive there would be all these signs "Kenmore Square - Keep Right." After the last one of those there's a sign "Kenmore Square - left exit" and the exit is right there with dozens of out of state cars quickly fishtailing on over.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    You got it backwards. It's exit left, exit left, exit left and then you take the right exit off the left exit.

The difficulty is that it all happens in 100 yards at 50 mph.

These coordinates show it all: 42.350749,-71.09298

Coming from the right you take a left hand exit and then the immediate RH ramp to get to Kenmore Square and Fenway Park.
    See? I TOLD yo it was a long time..... :blush:
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I'll add my vote to those who think Boston drivers are the worst.

Lane etiquette? What are lanes? Oh, suggestive --- got it.

Even my time spent driving in Manhattan wasn't as bad. Of course, after a day or two, you become just as aggressive as everyone else on the roads there.
    You make two very good points - one is that in the whole of Massachusetts the signs are only suggestions.

That second one about becoming just as aggressive I'm relearning in that for the first time in years I'm driving in Manhattan every few weeks. My wife refuses to even attempt it. I grew up 30 miles from the city and was in there at 17 so I'm still pretty used to it.

I will say that for bad drivers here in the US we are strictly amateurs. The pros live in places like China and the Caribbean....
    "In a study conducted some time ago, 93% of American students thought their driving skills were better than half of those surveyed -- a mathematical impossibility that has not changed."

Toyota takes on the myth of the above-average driver (CNN)
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    That second one about becoming just as aggressive I'm relearning in that for the first time in years I'm driving in Manhattan every few weeks. My wife refuses to even attempt it. I grew up 30 miles from the city and was in there at 17 so I'm still pretty used to it.

An important point to note is that all of my East Coast driving was done in rental cars with full insurance, so I never worried too much about the indescribable awful that could happen.

Now, in my own car? A different story, I would think.
    Interactive metro Road Frustration Index.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    Savannah wins!

Lines are suggestions, as Michaell says...

My son said it's truly scary to drive there...people don't pay ANY attention....this coming from a guy who learned to drive in Oregon.

An Oregon drivers are pretty bad, :sick:
    edited October 2011
    Driving in GA is kind of like a dumbed down version of Germany. Marginal interstate enforcement, pretty good interstate road quality, and massive speed gaps - people who cruise at 90+ on the ATL-SAV corridor, and those who go 45 on the same road. The only things missing are good cars and lane discipline. I'll be there in two weeks, and I await a break from the overly timid idiots here.
    What was really fun in Savannah was before they finished 95 through there. They took you over this bridge that went straight up and straight down! Going back and forth between NJ and Florida that was always my biggest accomplishment. That and not getting stopped by the cop with button for the 1/10 of a second yellow light.