Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Yesterday I said something about going to use the Mopar zipper lube because the weather is fabulous and I was thinking of putting the top down. Here's how my logic went:
    1. To take off the top, the windows should be clean so they don't get scratched.
    2. If I'm going to wash the windows I might as well wash the Jeep - its been quite a while since it had a bath.
    3. If I'm going to all the trouble to wash it, I should get some wax and do that - it hasn't been waxed since I got it last fall.

First part of the work-out was washing and waxing it.

Second part of the workout was taking the top down by myself. It worked exactly like the addendum said it would - it wasn't all that difficult. Put on a coat (it was only about 64 out) and a hat with a brim and drive to the coffee shop in town. Admire the mountains around us at the same time, feel that fresh air, enjoy having the top down.

Third part of the workout - putting the top back up. The hardest part of that was the side windows! Since I'm so small I had to do something a bit different to get the top started over the sport bar, but it worked.

I think I got more exercise doing all that today than I did hiking 4 miles yesterday!
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Ok, yall know I have been lurking here for a few years. Now, the time has come for some tires. I know I am going to replace the Goodyear GSAs with 31 x 10.50, but are a bit unsure which ones to get.

I really like the looks of the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO, but I am wondering about noise and treadwear. Michelin is also a favorite of mine.

I would like a long-wearing, quiet tire. I do not off-road, but I don't want to go completely highway either, just a little bit of edge for the snow and mud I might encounter periodically.

I will pay extra for treadwear, which I assume the michelin is excellent at provided rotations are done religously.

Any tips? Other tires to consider?
    I'm not sure exactly what you want for photos, but I took a couple with the top up. Wish I had read this request before I put the top back up - I could have done a better job. It's just that after all that work, I wasn't about to put it down again!

There are some tubes of hard foam that are around some of the supports - you can see them in my photos. I've added them to my Unlimited album on webshots - http://community.webshots.com/album/188823439kZLZAP?919 . Let me know if you want something more specific.
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    ok,,

well its on,, but not right,, or at least I don't think its right,,

the pictures in the owners manual do not seem to match up the information stamped on the pivot point.

one is stamped L ( left ) one R ( right ) that is the side we installed them on.. they line up with the slots on the cover over the sport bar,,but seem to be too high,, and we would have to pull on the top very hard to get it down enough to connect front and back,, I was afraid of bending my frame..

I just need to find one around here to look at,, its too hard to describe.

more chapters of the story to come,, but I'm headed to Puerto Vallarta on Thursday,, Nicole may get covered with a tarp until I get home...

jeff

,,,,, and you should have seen the girls in the back while we were all driving around topless!!!!

jts
  • mcneill3mcneill3 Member Posts: 4
    thanks....i appreciate your input. i am probably going to be going with a 4" lift the more that i think about it. 6" is going to be alot more expensive and unnessary for what i am going for. i was actually considering the skyjacker model. thanks again
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    You're welcome. Another way to go is to decide on the size of tire you want to use, and that will determine the height of lift you need.

Good luck.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    "hoping the sermon is SHORT this morning,, i want to get onto this project ASAP "

Jeff, are you like the guy who decided the preacher had been going at it way too long and got up to leave? The preacher stopped preaching and asked the guy where he was going. The guy said, "To get a haircut." Preacher said, "Well why didn't you get one before you came here?" The guy said, "Because I didn't NEED one then!" :)

Tomster

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Jack:

I HIGHLY recommend the BFG All Terrains. I ran them on Thelma Jane as my first set of after market tires. I had the size you are planning on, the 31x10.50's.

I only ran them for 6K miles, because I started off roading, and I really needed a mud tire for Turkey Bay. Thos tires gave a great ride, super handling (really felt hooked up with the road), and the tread wear was virtually unmeasurable after 6K miles. I ran them at 28 psi.

Don't forget, looks count. So, don't get a set of wussy tires and embarrass your poor Jeep. :)

Those BFG AT's have a nice, aggressive look.

Tom

I'll second that, Tom.
    all in favor of Jack getting BFG All Terrain TA/KO's say "aye." :)
  • iconoclasticonoclast Member Posts: 67
    Tom try going in with Katy14 and the password is coyote. Two pictures should be there. Let me know how if there is anything else to try. Thanks.....
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
    I have the BFG All Terrains on the Sport and really liked them. I'm going to put them on GiGi when I replace the Goodyears, and we don't off-road her much at all. The BFGs are as quiet on the highway as the Goodyears and perform better off-road. I put them on the Sport right before Camp Jeep last year (the Duellers that were on it were in bad shape, especially for off-roading). Because I had just changed tires, I made a point of looking to see what everyone else had on their Jeeps - and they were on the majority of Wranglers I looked at.
    VERY NICE! :D
    OK,, now get that top off !!!

topless is even more fun!!
    Thanks, Jeff...really appreciate your help in getting the pictures posted. For those wanting to know about tires...those are BF Goodrich AT/ko in size 31X10.5 with no lift and they fit fine...lots of room all around. My ground clearance at the bottom of the skid plate is 10.4 inches. Will determine after 10 days in the backcountry of Utah whether to put a 2" lift or not.
    Sorry, Jeff...like it with the top on and don't care for going topless anymore. I used to love my Ford convertible once...and glad those days are gone. We carry lots of camera gear and other things that don't need the fine dust of Utah...including my sinuses. To each his own and the important thing is to have fun...with or without a top! Again, Jeff...thanks for your help! ;)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Great pics but let's not overdo it - lots of folks are still on dialup!

tidester, host
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Well, another big chunk of paint fell off one of the side mirror brackets on the Sahara. I know I can take them off and repaint them, but I decided it was time to spend a few $$$ on the old Jeep; it's been over a year since I fitted the E-Code Hellas and the MB Quarts. My first choice is the 2003-up factory mirrors, but the best price I've found is $150/pr. My search of the aftermarket found two acceptable choices:
    1. Satin Stainless:
    2. Gun Metal Stainless:
    So, what does everone think-what I DON'T want is a bling-bling "Pimp My Ride" look, so I'm leaning toward the Satin Stainless; 22 years of continuous German car ownership has given me a permanent distaste for bright chrome-unless it's fitted to something like a Jensen Interceptor ;)
    Gun metal stainless looks like chrome in the pic, so I guess I'd go for the Satin stainless. Don't they do a Black Satin stainless?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    California laws require you to have 2 mirrors facing to the rear. I got the mirror relocators and since I got two I put both on. :) They stay on year-round (I used the Tough Stuff Gasket rocker guard I had left from my rocker install to protect paint).

As for doorless, I drove to and from Camp Jeep with no doors and drove by many CHP vehicles, both car and motorcycle. No issues. But that does not mean there is a law against it. I'd double check code out there. Things change out there all the time. :)

I'm in Alabama now, and I know of no law for mirrors or doors. They don't even do a safety or emissions inspection. Just pay your $$ and go.

-Paul
    "Great pics but let's not overdo it - lots of folks are still on dialup! "

I have have to agree. Nice Jeep pic Jeff, but the rest made for a painful ten minute download to be able to get the latest text posts.
    Tidester:

Did you receive a complaint from someone about the pics?

Heck, the file size is only about 60 KB each on them. I'm on dial up, and the page loaded for me without a terribly long wait. Guess I have an unusually good connection speed for dial up, since I get hooked up most of the time at 45.3 KB/sec.

Pictures add so much to this group, and I would hate to see restrictions put on them. Has the level of picture posting been a problem up until now? I realize that it could BECOME a problem, if too many pics get posted.

Tomster

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL JEEP!!!!!!

You should know that I am partial to white Jeeps, since Thelma Jane is white.

You have something to be very proud of there. Take good care of Katy.

Tom

• twomstertwomster Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I was wondering is it possible to buy a soft top and be able to connect it even if i have a hard top????
    Its a 1993 jeep wrangler 4.0
    :confuse:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, Tom!

Jeff asked me to remove it. I suspect he'll be posting a revision.

tidester, host
    Sure, just make sure you get the correct top and hardware for your year.
    It's getting that time in CO where a 20 mile drive leaves your radiator filled with bugs and butterflys and moths leading to over-heating if not thoroughly cleaned out. Anyone use the billet inserts? Mesh bug screens? A 7 hour trip to Utah will find us stopping to clean out the radiator. Suggestions others have used to prevent the problem. Thanks, :mad:
    I use a commonly available black aluminum perforated bug shield (about $35). Zero effect on temp, 100% effective on bugs.
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Mine is silver, but everyone mistakes her for being white.

Thanks for all the 4x4 feedback. Espescially mtngal. A plethora of information relevant to SoCal! Hopefully, I'll be able to get off road this summer.

-Mike
    Just remember, Mike, the infamous Rubicon Trail starts at Lake Tahoe, so after you get some experience around Big Bear and get some mods done to your Jeep, you will have a great excuse to visit one of the most spectacular spots in the state!
    Keith:

Hey, don't worry about those bugs that hit your grill and windshield. They won't have the guts to do it again! :)

You know what's the last thing that goes through a bug's mind when he hits your windshield?? His hind end!

Speaking of bugs on the grill, I heard of a guy who used to stop at rest stops along interstates, get wet paper towels from the mens room, and wipe the bug guts off his grill that had accumulated since the last rest stop. Can you believe that???

Tom

Okie Dokie.

In the original post, the pics must have been much bigger in file size, or there were a lot more of them, or something I guess. By the time I saw the post this AM, the two pics were only 60 KB apiece and should not have been a problem.

Tomster

• mac505mac505 Member Posts: 2
    I just recently bought a 1998 Jeep Wrangler. I amn excited to dive into modifying it and adding to it right away but I can't seem to find the Chilton's for it anywhere. Any one run into this before and where should I be looking for this instead? It seems all of the manuals I have found only go up to 1995 or 1997.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I wouldn't mess with a Chilton's.

I would spend the cash and get the following:
    Factory Service Manual - very technical and very detailed
    Haynes Manual for your vehicle - more generic, but covers about 90% of the stuff you would need to do.

I have both, and I can do almost all the stuff I need to do with the Haynes. The FSM covers EVERYTHING, but I find the Haynes easier to use. Between the two, I'm covered.

This is the Haynes Manual you need:
    50030 - Wrangler all models '87 thru '00.

-Paul
    Hi and Welcome, Mac!

Congrats on that Jeep. First ever short wheel base Jeep? What mods do you have in mind?

It will cost ya $90, but it will be ten times more useful than a Chilton's.

I'm talking Factory Service Manual. It's the same manual used by dealership service departments. It is THE definitive source of info.

Here's the link.

http://www.techauthority.daimlerchrysler.com/

Tom

• 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    I'm with you, I tend to lean towards subtle rather than bling. I like the Satin, it reminds me of Brushed Aluminum. I've considered getting the whole Satin package of hood hinges, windshield hinges, door hinges, etc etc...I think it would look sharp. But alas, that all costs money :)

-Dan
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Yeah, I'm going to go with the Satin mirrors; I like the look better and they're cheaper to boot. I might go ahead and get the Satin taillamp guards while I'm at it-they're only $40 more. Slippery slope here I come... :P
    Commonly available where? Is it specific for Wrangler or any vehicle? Found one in 4 Wheel Drive catalog for jeeps that sounds like yours, but would rather pick one up locally. Thanks...
    OK, Tom:
    I want the name of the guy that told on me! Me thinketh us Jeep people are a little fanatical...but you gotta luv us!! ;)
    ".......Commonly available where?.........."

Commonly available from most suppliers of Jeep accessories!

Yes, the one in the 4WD cat is the type I mean.
    Thanks for the info and hope I didn't "bug" you! I just could not help myself with that one! Must be time for a Scotch and dinner. :D
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    I think the owner's manual recommends temperatures of at least 70; must have something to do with the expansion of the fabric and all (and not with the need for jackets and caps!). I do know it's easier to manipulate with higher temperatures. Still, I've been known to put on a leather jacket and gloves for the drive to work, knowing that it would warm up over 75 by afternnon. (I'm sure this will annoy some purists, but it's another way that a Wrangler with the top down seems like a more stable motorcycle.) Weighing the inconvenience of putting the top back up (and messing with the zippers) vs. partially freezing off various body parts. Life is all about tradeoffs and compromises, eh? I'm hoping the zipper lube restores the magical operation of the zippers (BTW, thanks for the educational link Tidester!).
    I didn't have any particular problem with the top and it sure seemed pretty hot to me while I was washing and waxing. I was very surprised to see the thermometer saying it was only 65 out. I think it has to do with the sun up here (I'm close to 6,000 feet) - it is more intense and probably heated up the vinyl more than if I had been at sea level.

Does anyone have a suggestion how not to get wax on the flares?

Also, I think my flares are starting to fade a tad (could be my imagination). I remember mac talking about a product for the soft top, I think it was called 303? Would that help protect the flares from the higher UV rays?
  • mickinksmickinks Member Posts: 2
    Been dreaming about getting a Jeep for a year or more and finally pulled it off a week ago. I got an 05 Rocky Mountain soft top. It's even more fun than I thought it would be!!!
    Just found this forum a few minutes ago and after reading a few pages thought I would post a comment.
    I'm thinking of adding a few things to make it my own.
    Any mags or web sites I should check out?
    Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    303 Protectant is good for vinyl (and I've had good luck with Vinylex from Lexol too).

In the news, Jeep May Add Four Door Wrangler, Pickup to the Lineup (Inside Line)

And welcome & congrats, Mickinks!

Steve, Host
    Mickinks:

WELCOME! And, congratulations on that brand new Jeep!

Glad you found us and hope you will stick with us. Just make yourself at home.

Tom

• usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Member Posts: 24
    Still no Jeep, no ETA on delivery.

How can it take so long for an '05 to be built near the end of the model year?

Semper Fi,

Mike
    Welcome! Good choice to get the Rocky Mountain Edition - it's a nice package. What color is it?

Don't be afraid to ask questions, there are quite a few experts around here. As far as mods - it depends on what you are planning on using your Wrangler for - are you going to be using it for a commuter vehicle, like my Unlimited, or are you going to be doing some serious off-roading? Or something in between?

It amazes me that a vehicle like the Wrangler can meet such different needs!
    Tom - reference to your post, number 16630. I can't believe that you had the guts to post a message with so many bugs in it!
  • trew123trew123 Member Posts: 4
    I also have been waiting a while for mine as I ordered mine the 4 weeks ago from the dealership. I spoke to the salesman yesterday and he told me that it will be here next week. If you ask me, I am starting to get a wee bit impatient. However, you know what they say about good things and waiting.

Trew