Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 Dodge Ram Suspension

fishinguspofishinguspo Member Posts: 2
I own a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport with only 56,000 miles. The suspension on my truck is very not what it used to be. Got the front end replaced, replaced the shock absorbers with Monroe shocks and the truck's suspension has not gotten better. When I drive her I can feel every bump, and crack on the road. I am considering replacing the front coil springs and the rear leaf springs. I am hoping to get her back to driving like she was new. Can anyone help me on this dilemma, I just do not want to waste my money.

Comments

• cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    How's the tires? If you've replaced your original tires recently, bear in mind that sidewall stiffness varies between tires and what may have been a comfortable pressure with OEMs may not be comfy with another tire.
  • fishinguspofishinguspo Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your response. I recently changed the OEM wheels and tires for aftermarket 22" wheels with Toyo tires. I reduced the air pressure in the tires and it still did not work. The tires are rated for the road and not off road.
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    There you go. 22" wheels have such a low profile tire that there is no give in the tire on bumps. Additionally, the much heavier wheel and tire assembly has more resistance to movement on small bumps and severely taxes the suspension system. My '09 Ram has OEM 20" wheels, and doesn't ride too bad, but springs and shocks are factory tuned for that larger and heavier wheel and tire assembly.
    Even though larger wheels and low profile tires look great, there's a penalty to be paid in stiffer ride, slower acceleration, less MPGs, and longer braking distances. All these factors were proven in Car and Driver magazine testing. Anything wheel over 17 or 18" does more harm than good.
  • darth_venomdarth_venom Member Posts: 43
    If your truck is a 4X4 20" rims are much too big unless your truck is lifted and you are running LT's with enough sidewall to make up for the larger wheels they will make you ride rougher than normal. Your suspension is not the problem. My 2500 4X4 is lifted 4" in the body (which to me is unnecessary due to it already having the factory Rancho suspension 4" lift) running 17 x10 inch polished aluminum wheels with 35 LT's and it rides very well due to the higher profile tires.

I plan to remove the 4" body lift though as I think it's unneccessary. It shouldn't be too hard to remove because it hasn't beem on it too long. However either way I do not expect the ride to be affected. There's nothing wrong with running 20" wheels as you do not have to run very low profile tires to keep them from rubbing. If this is the case my suggestion is to go to 17 or 18" wheels with taller rubber.