Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2003 GMC Sierra - Random electrical failures in cabin

zeitozeito Member Posts: 3
Strange electrical problems in my 2003 GMC Sierra 2500 crew cab. First thing that happened several months ago was the rear power door locks quit working - front work fine. A few months later, the rear speakers in the door quit working - front speakers worked fine. I figured it was something isolated with the rear doors. Next, the front drivers side speaker quit working randomely. It usually plays at a very minimal audible level (very low) and does not cut out completely - but randomly will work flawlessly. The next thing to go whacky is the "chime" for the headlights or key left in the ignition, etc. It will work sometimes, but usually does not. I think that when the chime works, the drivers door speaker works - but can't say for certain. Rear door locks and speakers don't work at all - not even randomly. I'm not a mechanic, but am hopeful that someone might have an idea of what I can check so I might save myself a huge repair bill. Thank you!

Comments

• antiqhunterantiqhunter Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2500 HD in Jan 2007. Reasonably satisfied until now; at about 95K several things "popped up", such as the steering wheel lights are out, half the radio lights out, intermediate steering shaft noisy, ABS pulsates at low speed, aux cooling lines leak (after being replaced only a year or so ago), radio speakers distorted (WHEW, I think that's it!!). Contacted Chevrolet; they started a file. Had me take it to the local dealer for investigation. Said it would cost almost $2K to fix...naturally out of warranty, but would give me 20% off.

I've been a loyal Chevy owner for 40 years, and I can tell you I am insulted by their lack of support. I could live with one or two of these items, but looking at this list, COME ON!!! This truck is not abused; all regular service.

Anyone else out there experience such a nightmare??? At this point the next step would be.....
  • zeitozeito Member Posts: 3
    I too have the same problem with the anti lock brakes "chattering" at low speeds. It happened to my truck at 40k miles. It's either the rotors are really bad (warped, pitted, etc.) causing the ABS sensors to think the wheels are sliding, or one of the ABS sensors are bad and need replaced. The problem is that you don't know WHICH sensor it is so you have to replace all of them or replace one at a time until you find the bad one... not very economical to say the least. What I did was just unplug one of the sensors from the frame, which bypasses the ABS altogether... just don't have anti lock. The easiest sensor to reach on my truck was the front drivers wheel well - just unplug the electrical "plug" (tape it up to keep road grime out) and no more brake chatter. My ABS light on the dash stays on all the time, but its better than a huge mechanical bill.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Antighunter,
    I see that you have already opened a Service Request with us, and am sorry to hear that the decision was unsatisfactory. If you were to send us your case number, we would be happy to look further into this for you.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • john3lowjohn3low Member Posts: 3
    I also have a2006 sierra with electrical interior failures, such as, radio lights going out, one by one, left front door speaker randomly working, chimes for the seat belt-key in ignition- headlites on, and climate control lights going out. does anyone know the solution to this problem? How about another one? clunky shifting,noisy locking diff. only at zero degree weather. I am thinking the only solution is trading to something different than a GM product because it's a sure thing that GM could give a crap less about any of the problems all of us have!! please, some type of help would be appreaciated!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry that your Sierra has encountered so many difficulties, john3low. Have you ever had this looked into?

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • john3lowjohn3low Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2012
    has anyone lately had anymore cabin electrical issues? I just had another one this morning!! #3 and #5 on my fan selector smoked up the interior and don't work anymore! Several more luminations on the radio quit again! Chimes come and go as for working! the lights left on chime, ignition key left in chime,speakers alternate for working! but do work when the chimes take the turn of working! Maybe instead of the government bailing GM out, and giving the bigshots of GM bonuses, the should help the past and future (of which I will not be) with all the problems owners have now!!! wish I could get someone to buy this vehicle! it has only 75000 miles on it! can't afford to take it to the dealer, they are just guessing,and hoping, for the right repairs at our expense.The only thing to do is take it like a man and in the shorts and trade to another product!!! and not GM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ronznapronznap Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a clean, well cared for 2003 2500 Sierra SLT in November 2010. This truck had been garage kept here in Vermont and seemed to be in perfect condition. The first of several electrical problems appeared in March 2011. I went to start the truck one morning and the battery was completely dead. I charged the battery and used the truck the rest of the day. The next morning, same problem. Figuring that the battery was dead, I replaced it. The next morning, the battery was again completely dead. I took the truck to the dealer where I had purchased it and he said he would try to locate the problem. The next day, the dealer called to tell me it was an apparent short in the electric seat control circuit. He said it could be very difficult and expensive to find and repair the problem and suggested that we simply remove the fuse to the seat controls and heated seats.

Over the next several months, I began to notice erratic behavior with some of the gauges. The gas gauge, for example, would work fine some days but other times the needle would be in odd positions. Some of the other gauges would behave in similar fashion. I again went to the dealer and was told that, like the seat circuit, it could be difficult to trace the problem.

When I went to use the air-conditioner in the summer, nothing but hot air came out. Thinking that the system was low on freon, I again took the truck to the dealer. He found that the problem was in the heating controls, and that the heating circuit would not turn off. Again I was told that this would be an expensive repair and that they could not estimate a repair cost.

By this time, I am becoming aware that I have purchased a top of the line truck that has lost much of it's premium appeal due to significant electrical failures. There's more.

I go out one cold December morning to open the truck door, pull on the handle, and it comes off in my hand. I was standing on ice and immediately lost my balance and fell. I went to the dealer who immediately returns with the part. I asked if this was a common occurrence. "Yes, especially in cold weather," he replied. I'm 69 years old and have owned many vehicles in my lifetime. A door handle breaking off of a heavy-duty work vehicle is a bit surprising to me.

The final failure came as I was headed down a steep hill toward a red light at a busy intersection. I went to apply the brakes and the peddle went completely to the floor. I was 150 feet from the intersection and headed for busy morning cross traffic. Luckily, I remembered the emergency brake a came to safe stop. I had the truck towed to a shop. The mechanic knew exactly what the problem was without even looking. Apparently there is a problem with the brake line rusting out on this product.

I am extremely disappointed in this truck. I thought I was buying a top of the line work truck that over the past 18 months, has proven to undependable and now dangerous. I own a 1963 Dodge panel truck that still has the original brake lines intact and in good condition. The original door handles have not fallen off and all the gauges still work. It is apparent that poor design and component quality is a serious problem with GMC products. I will not be back as a customer.
  • zeitozeito Member Posts: 3
    John3low - sounds like you and I have the exact same vehicle. I am/have experienced everything you describe also. My truck is a 2003 - bought brand new - and since I've been the only owner I can guarentee it has only been treated with care. Sure, it's 9 years old, but I only have 57,000 miles on it. I would get carpal tunnel syndrom if I was to try to type everything that has gone wrong with it in this reply. Actually just put WELL over $1,000 into it last month on what some others in this string described. My transmission cooler and lines had to be replaced because they were rusted completely out; while replacing them, the mechaning noticed that my brake lines were ready to fall off and had to replace 30 FEET of brake lines; and the power steering lines and cooler rusted complety off the vehicle and needed replaced. This is just the most recent in a LOOOOONG string of trips to the mechanic. I'm about to get my own personal parking spot at the mechanics garage.
  • smedsleassmedsleas Member Posts: 7
    We have a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Classic Crew Cab, bought it new in 2006. Our problems started with the loss of electronics when the lights for the heat controls went out on one side. We lost the chimes for the seat belt on the front seat. This was followed by speakers going out passenger side first then back speakers. Finally the radio started coming on muted or regular and then lose volume or sound muted (it does it randomly). Our A/c started next and we would move or replace the relay and the pump would then come on (no problem with fan). Last night the driver's side controls for the locks and windows stopped working and the chimes for key in the ignition are not working. This was random. Jiggling the fuses in the dash returned two out of three times. The lights in the controls were out when the controls were not working. I know this is not a 2500 but the problems sound similar. Any suggestions as to what to start. Thank you
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello smedsleas,

If you're looking to do some DIY work on this, we hope you get some great feedback! Unfortunately, my access to technical information in limited; however, if you decided you wanted to get this checked out at a dealership and wanted for us to work with you through that process, please email us at [email protected] with more information (including your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • dodgeman3500dodgeman3500 Member Posts: 1
    my brother inlaw has a 2004 2500 HD 4x4 , the abs light was on so I checked the codes and found the left front abs sensor BO . I replaced it light is out but now the truck pulls to the right when the is almost stoped and you can feel the brake pedal pules . ?????????

any Ideas thanks