Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Mazda3

Comments

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    2012 Mazda3 S Grand Touring Sedan

The Mazda 3's new-for-2012 fascia is a welcome improvement. The 3 looks sharper and more mature now that the smiley-face designs are gone. On our tester, the gloss-black grille inserts contrast nicely with the bright-white paint.

The most remarkable thing about Mazda vehicles is that they all truly embody the famous "Zoom-Zoom" advertising tagline. The stubby, direct shifter in this Mazda 3 feels like it was taken directly from an MX-5, making every gearchange a pleasure. Likewise, the engine is eager to rev and pulls smoothly throughout the tachometer's range. Add steering that is direct and weighty, yet manageable around parking lots, and you have a recipe for a really enjoyable driving experience.

The result is that driving the Mazda 3 encourages me to do silly things like rev-matching down three gears before turning into a parking lot (prompting a friend to ask, "Not the gear you wanted?") or deliberately seeking twistier roads through town. In what is essentially an economy sedan, no less. If I had to buy a compact sedan tomorrow, I'd be strongly considering the Mazda 3.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/editors_notebook/1110_2012_mazda3_s_grand_t- ouring_sedan/viewall.html#ixzz1d56FE8dL
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    edited November 2011
    Well, take a moment and see what the review as it was intended.....to showcase Mazda's new technology.

The reason you don't see many Mazda3 i Touring's with the 6-speed manual just yet is because Mazda has not allocated them. I just ordered my first, and I have a ton on the way. It's just how the build cycle went.

Mazda gave the same 2 cars to every other journalist to test drive, and every single one came back overly impressed.

But about $600 more than a stick Civic LX and $400 more than a better equipped Elantra, which includes AT and alloys (a stick w/o Bluetooth is $2000 less).

Those figures are a little off. To compare feature-to feature, the Elantra is only about $1,000 less. But, add the fact that that their EPA estimates are so far off, and no one can even sniff 40 mpg, even hypermiling, and the Mazda3 is by far a better real-world performer, I would say that extra $1,000 goes far. Plus, they lease better and have lower financing to boot which lowers the actual cost to ownership.
    I don't think either

Reading your posts are all the evidence I need to support this claim.

Too many companies rely in flawed marketing data to determine product mixes, and my bet is that Mazda is doing the same here.

Because the data you have offered, or should I say "lack there of", is soooo much more reliable. Gimme a break. I guess they should just shoot from the hip and base their business decisions on gut feelings by the minority of the buying public. Yeah, that sounds smart!! Hello bankruptcy!!!
    2012 Mazda Mazda3 Skyactiv: Driving Impressions

For all of the talk about the 2012 Mazda Mazda3 and the added efficiencies of the Skyactiv technologies, this car is still a blast to drive. Along some enjoyable roads just outside of L.A., we had the chance to check out both of the Skyactiv's new transmissions. First up, we grabbed some seat time in the Skyactiv-Drive automatic which delivered quick shifts in regular mode but provided a manual shift mode for occasions just like this. Keeping the engine revving at its sweet spot helps provide quicker accelerating out of a turn, and the manual mode allows the driver to hold each gear (even past redline) for ultimate control; about the only thing this setup lacked were steering wheel shift paddles. Later in the day, the Skyactiv-MT manual gearbox provided even more driver enjoyment, but we were also surprised at how easy it was to shift; the Skyactiv-MT could very well be the best, if not only, transmission that is as much fun for enthusiasts as it is for first-time manual drivers. In addition to these new transmissions, Mazda has also included an equally well-balanced electric power assist steering and a more rigid chassis for better cornering. At the end of the day, it was impressive at how far Mazda has come at improving the fuel economy and refinement of the Mazda3 while also helping to preserve the car's thrilling dynamic.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Wow! That Mazda Kool-Aid must taste really good. :P
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Nope, must have hatch/wagon/SUV. I don't like trunks, they annoy me. Thought about the Mazda5 but the FE kills it.
    Wow! That Mazda Kool-Aid must taste really good.

At least that is still available in Velocity Red. :shades:
    At least that is still available in Velocity Red.

It is rather yummy! Oooooooooh Yeaaaaaahhh :shades:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    ... and I have a ton on the way.

Great! I hope other dealers follow suit! The 6MT seems like the natural choice for this car.

But, add the fact that that their EPA estimates are so far off, and no one can even sniff 40 mpg, even hypermiling, and the Mazda3 is by far a better real-world performer, I would say that extra $1,000 goes far.

Now your "I work for Mazda" bias is showing. No one can sniff 40 mpg, even hypermiling? I've not only "sniffed" 40 mpg but blown (my nose?) by that, in real-world highway driving. No hypermiling.

OK, now off with you to sell more Mazdas! :)
    Ah, I get carried some times :-) No hard feelings, I hope

In any event, we have no idea why we were not allocated 6-speed manuals sooner. I have a waiting list of people who want one. Mazda did say the launch of the Skyactiv technology was delayed because of the Tsunami / earthquake. Perhaps it delayed the 6-speed manual a bit longer, but who knows. As long as we get them, that's all I care about.
    edited November 2011
    Hey folks, give the guy a break. Of course he's positive about Mazda and skyactiv for peet's sake.

But Mazda for a comparatively little company has a lot going for it right now. They've bet the company on making affordable, efficient, and actually fun to drive tossable vehicles.

Go ahead man, let your enthusiasm rip. And if you've got any somewhat inside stuff for us let us know.

For instance, have you yourself actually driven one of the Skyactiv manuals? If so, how was it?

Oh, and for the next Mazda 6 is there going to be a c. 2.4 Skyactiv engine? And when is that due, anyway? About a year from now as a 2013 model?

Have to say the current Mazda6 is languishing on the lots. One of my local dealers was offering 4k off msrp. ouch. Good value for a good car though!
    For instance, have you yourself actually driven one of the Skyactiv manuals? If so, how was it?

I have yet to drive one. I'm itching too, though. However, the big hoopla is still focused on the Skyactive-Drive automatic. It is a rather nice automatic, I must say.

Oh, and for the next Mazda 6 is there going to be a c. 2.4 Skyactiv engine? And when is that due, anyway? About a year from now as a 2013 model?

Mazda will be relaunching the Mazda6 for 2013 where it will be assembled in Japan. As far as Skyactiv tech goes, I believe the car will have it, but I have no idea of what engine sizes or efficiency numbers we can expect. It ia rumored that we will see the Skyactiv-D in it. But, it is pure speculation at this point.
    Thanks for the answers. Please give us a report on a manual once you've driven one....
    I have yet to drive one. I'm itching too, though. However, the big hoopla is still focused on the Skyactive-Drive automatic. It is a rather nice automatic, I must say.

What I've been hearing about that dual-clutch-semi-auto-manu-hydro-matic has been making me drool. Even though it's mostly an autobox, what they did with the clutch packs, and the lockup is really interesting.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is interested in talking with parents who own a 2012 Volkswagen Passat, Mazda 3, Chevy Cruze Eco, Honda Civic Hybrid, Chevy Sonic, Honda CR-V, Toyota Camry and Toyota Prius V. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.
  • chessterchesster Member Posts: 15
    I purchased a Mazda3 I Grand Touring with Sykactive on Saturday – love the car!

I live in New Jersey but I work in Maryland so twice a week I’m on I-95 and the NJ Turnpike. I only have 199 miles on it so far and 125 miles of that is highway and the current avg. MPG readout on the display is 39.9. Not sure how accurate that is but I figure I’d report it anyway. I received the car with a full tank of gas and I still have ¾ of a tank left. As the weeks go on I will do manual calculations for avg. MPG if anyone is interested.

The cabin is quiet around town and there is some road noise on the highway but it’s not that bad. The handling is great but I feel every bump and the Bose stereo is awesome! I believe this car to be a great value for the money.
  • stevenq99stevenq99 Member Posts: 36
    edited November 2011
    Congrats on your new car! Keep us informed about your mileage I am very curious about the real world mileage of the skyactive 3.
    The handling is great but I feel every bump...

Based on driving other Mazda3's over the past few years that is my main concern in going with the Skyactiv. How smooth are the roads you drive on? Lots of potholes, tar strips etc.? Some of the roads in the Twin Cities are pretty bad due to potholes, lots of patching etc. so a smooth ride is important to me. I was impressed by the Focus I drove this weekend, seemed to soak up at least small bumps better than the Mazda3's I've driven did. Can you compare the ride of the Mazda3 Skyactiv to other cars you've owned or tested?
    What was your average speed getting 39.9mpg? I believe AutoWeek tested a Skyactiv 3 and got 40.8 on the highway going 70mph for 209 miles.

One of our stores customers got 38.6 driving to up-state NY, which is a major change in elevation (upward) and he was going 75 average.

Keep us posted on your impressions!
    Most of the roads I drive on are smooth if I was to estimate I’d say maybe 5% between both NJ and MD are not smooth. There is a ¼ mile stretch near my home in NJ that is an abysmally patched road that jars my teeth. For the most part it is something I can live with.

I also have a 2003 Hyundai Sonata (that went to my daughter) that handles rough roads better but the Sonata’s cabin was very loud on the highway. I test drove an Altima that drove better over rough roads.
    If you can handle a small percentage of jarring over rough roads the Mazda is okay but if smoothness of your ride is that important to you than I would not suggest the Mazda3.
    I set the cruse control to 69, don't ask why, after I set it I looked at the speedometer and it was a tick below 70 and I kept it there. There were some stretches where I had to slow down but I used the cruse most of the way.
    Thanks, I'll have to try it on my local roads. I'd be looking at the Touring not Grand Touring... maybe the Touring has smaller wheels than the GT, which would absorb impacts better?

As for comparing to a 2003 Sonata... that design dates to the late '90s, so I don't doubt it's fairly crude by modern standards.
    Thanks, I'll have to try it on my local roads. I'd be looking at the Touring not Grand Touring... maybe the Touring has smaller wheels than the GT, which would absorb impacts better?

The Touring and Grand Touring Skyactiv Mazda3's have the same 16" alloy wheels. There should be no difference in ride quality.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    edited November 2011
    Members of the press have beaten up Mazda on the "psychotic" grin of the Mazda3. Now that the fascia has been redesigned, the initial commentary seems approving.

When I recently saw the new Mazda3 and its "evolutionary" (i.e. small) change, my overall impression was that the front looked tamed and not as dramatic as the previous model.
    This is a bit of a surprise to me, as I was not a big fan of the cheshire smile, although, I must admit, it has grown on me. This echoes my initial reaction to the Audi design which I now think is inspired.

What say you? Do you think the new Mazda3 design is an improvement over the last version?
    edited November 2011
    The grin has gone from off-putting to the point were I wouldn't consider the car regardless of its other attributes to just barely acceptable enough to look seriously at a purchase; errr were it not for the ordering limitations.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited November 2011
    Members of the press have beaten up Mazda on the "psychotic" grin of the Mazda3

It was hardly just members of the press. Thousands of comments on forums said the same thing. I never thought "the grin" was THAT bad but always thought they could have done a lot better the front end styling.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    hardly just members of the press. Thousands of comments on forums said the same thing.
    Agreed!

Personally, I find the Kodo theme used on the fascia of Mazda's Shinari concept car spectacular.

Here's hoping we see it in the major refresh of the 2013 Mazda3.
    I read recently about Mazda's future product plans. Don't remember where and so I don't have a link to post, but this is what it said,

fall of 2011, updated 2012 Mazda3 with Skyactiv
    spring of 2012, all new 2013 CX-5
    fall of 2012, all new 2013 Mazda6 with Shinari styling and full Skyactiv
    c. summer to fall of 2013, all new 2014 Mazda3 with complete Skyactiv and the new styling...

And so we have about 2 years to wait for the all new Mazda3...

and it looks like the Mazda5 isn't all new until the 2015 or 2016 model year, although maybe they'll drop in a skyactiv engine before then?
    I still think they'll drop the SkyActiv-D into the Mazda5. It's a very low-risk move (low reward too, but that's fine for getting one's feet wet with something new).

I can't wait for 2014, I'm just waiting for the CX-5 reveal. if there's anything that turns me off (MPG too low, price too high, etc) then i guess I'll be test-driving a Mazda3 SkyActiv hatch soon. And lamenting the lack of climate control...
    Below is cut from an email I received from Mazda. There is a live reveal tomorrow at the LA auto show.

"For over 50 years we've been obsessed with improving the way our cars look, the way they perform and the way they make you feel behind the wheel. That obsession has driven us to achieve the unheard of. Ultimate efficiency. Fuel economy and performance together. For those who’ve abandoned hope that they can find joy behind the wheel of a Compact Crossover SUV, we’ve built this vehicle for you. Mark your calendars on November 16, 2011, the Mazda CX-5 with revolutionary SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY will be revealed."
    Looking forward to it!
    Yeah, I think Mazda says 9 AM Pacific or something. 2.5 hours to go. :)
    Auto Week has released the specs...155hp and 150tq 26/33mpg with 6-speed stick FWD.

I'm a bit concerned if this is true because the compression has been increased to 13:1 and it also has the 4-2-1 header system and there is no increase in power over the Mazda3 and the economy is drastically less.
    Yeah..it's probably the same weight or a touch heavier, but still, I expected 35 MPG in FWD. Still, the autobox may end up more efficient than the stick, the 33 MPG was specifically with the stick. Automatics are usually MORE efficient these days. Sometimes they're as much as 2 MPG better on the highway, though it's usually more like 1.

If I get one I guess it won't be AWD. The Mazda3 will be $9.74 per day in gas. The CX-5 will be $11.21. $200 per month versus $230 or so per month. Not a huge difference, but I bet the CX-5 will be more expensive to buy as well. It's just so much better looking though. :shades:
    "Automatics are usually MORE efficient these days. Sometimes they're as much as 2 MPG better on the highway, though it's usually more like 1."

The above seems to be true as far as the EPA tests are concerned. That said, I've been following "Real-World MPG" posts from owners of a number of cars which have equal to or higher EPA numbers for the automatic transmissions; so far at least, not one Automatic model has been able to post MPG numbers as high as those of their Manual siblings. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this held true for the Mazda offerings with SkyActiv engines as well.
    Ok now that they've been announced, we need threads for the 2013 Mazda CX-5. And the 2013 Ford Escape as well, since that, while also projected to get 33 MPG highway, is getting over 170 HP. Oops.

Unless we want to just continue hijacking the Mazda3 thread? :shades:
    One positive I did notice was 26mpg in the city is a pretty darn impressive
    Good idea
    edited November 2011
    Yes, the city mpg is very good. Equinox and Tucson each are rated at only 22-32. However, they have much more HP and TQ on tap but I realize they weigh more as well so it should be interesting comparos. I too expected hwy mpg on the CX-5 to be about 35. I wonder how the auto AWD will do? If it comes in at the same as the FWD stick it would be pretty impressive.

PS Just read an article on autoblog and they are saying:

"but Mazda says that the Skyactiv powertrain should return best-in-class fuel economy figures: 26/32 miles per gallon (city/highway) with the automatic transmission or an even better 33 mpg highway with the manual"

I guess the theory that the auto would return better hwy is probably out the window as well as my thoughts about the AWD auto getting as good as the FWD stick. Oh, well. A little disappointment but it looks good and will have to see how it drives.
    I think the AWD is predicted to get 30 or 31. I am disappointed, since the new Ford Escape will get the same highway MPG while offering 15 more HP.

However, since I drive 100 miles a day and oil just went back over $100 a barrel, I think I'm safer joining the 40 MPG club. So we're back to the Mazda3 and the Focus, since I'm not too sure I'll fit in a subcompact.

Curious that the 2.0L SkyActiv is so dominant in the Mazda3 but less competitive in the CX-5.
    Real question is how much will the Escape weigh? The AWD CX-5 tips the scales at 3,400lbs....not too bad.

While underpowered when compared to the competition, this car still drives better than everything, according to the first reviews.

We all need to remember it's not all about power, it's about the complete package.
    Noticed something strange after my drive from NJ to MD yesterday.

For the past 8 months I have been travelling from NJ to MD in my 2003 Hyundai Sonata and my trip reading was always the same 138 miles – I always take the same route. Yesterday I made the same trip, taking the same route, the same roads, the same everything and the trip reading on my new Mazda3 GT was only 135 miles. I can understand a difference of a few tenths of a mile but a 3 mile difference?

I do approximately 40% city 60%highway and the Avg. MPG reading on the screen is 40.1 with around 575 miles on the car. I want to take the trip a few more times before I get an accurate manual MPG.

I did notice this yesterday during my drive: the fuel gauge is a digital readout that is divided into quarters and three boxes fill each quarter – there is a good picture of the instrumentation when you click on the photos of the 2012 Mazda3. Anyway, the first box didn’t disappear until I had 95 miles on the trip reading and that was with the cruse set to 70 MPH.
    Hi Chester,

That economy is impressive. In my Mazda store, we are keeping close tabs on the customers who have already purchased a Skyactiv Mazda3, and every single one is very happy with the FE so far.

Averaging 40.1 with 40% city driving? Thats amazing. Have you also tried the old fashioned way by filling up and using a calculator? Just curious...
    Interesting on the mileage difference. You should do a google map route or mapquest and see what the mileage says versus your cars. Not that exact but it may give you a clue as to which is closer. I would probably trust the new car electronics as being more accurate however.

Most cars I've owned have done the same thing with the gas gauge. It seems you can drive forever before the gauge moves and then it moves fairly slowly until the midway point and then it seems like the vehicle is sucking gas the last half of the tank. Don't know why but it just seems like you can go twice as far on the first half of the tank then the second half. I've seen this over a broad range of makes as well....probably a lot of the same guage suppliers I guess.
    Aviboy97,

I want to drive the trip a few more times before I calculate the old-fashioned way. I'm guessing that the on-board readout is a little better then what it actually is but I should know better in a few weeks.
    That's a good idea. The on-board calculators are not perfect, but should give you a good barometer of what you were getting.
    I did my manual MPG calculation after my second fill-up and the avg. MPG between city and highway came out to be 39.7!

My last trip was 372.1 miles using 9.378 gallons with a 40% city / 60% highway split. I must point out that I hit congestion on both I95 and the NJ Turnpike on the way home and I’m still getting phenomenal MPGs. I could get even better gas mileage if I slowed down but who wants to do that when you have Zoom Zoom?

Skyactive has made me a believer!
    That's some really impressive mpg. What do you figure your avg speed was on the freeway?
    I set the cruse to 70 when there was no congestion but combine that with the congestion I hit coming home I would have to say that my avg. speed was somewhere around 40MPH. There was a 12 mile stretch of the Turnpike that took me 40 minutes to get through.
    Wow, that is REALLY impressive. Now if only they'd update the interior some...