Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Mazda3

Comments

• bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Uhh, what C-class car has an adjustable front center armrest? I've seen it on Compact/Mid SUVs, but I'm not recalling an "economy" car (really more like a non-luxury compact car) having that. Maybe I missed one (which is entirely possible).

Personally, I'd like to see auto climate control and a USB port on the sound system. Others in the same class offer these features.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Elantra for one... there may be others. Actually even the low-bucks Accent has a sliding center armrest available. Not something I must have, but it does make the armrest more usable.

I can live w/o auto climate control. USB is good though... I'm sure I'll use it at some point. I think most new compacts have aux inputs and USB inputs standard now.
  • languedoctorlanguedoctor Member Posts: 8
    I purchased an s Touring with sliding center armrest & sunglass holder for under $20k. Just sayin' :)

I thought the major differences between s Touring and I Touring were engine, transmission, and wheel size. I guess there are some interior differences too, though.
    The Touring Skyactiv I sat in didn't have either. It wasn't an s though. It was an automatic. And its sticker price was $20k. Just sayin'.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hmmm, a number of posts back one of our members who is a Mazda Sales Associate (I think) said the SkyActiv models on their floor all have sliding arm rests. Go figure.
    The 2012 Mazda3 brochures from the Mazda USA web site clearly indicate that only the s Grand Touring sedan and hatch have a sliding center console armrest. Go figure.
    edited November 2011
    Yup, that's exactly what I said as well; here's a link to the beginning of the discussion:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f2462a8/6#MSG6
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    The Mazda3 i GT has a sliding arm rest and padded door arm rests
    backy-

A test drive will confirm all that Mazda has added. You might be waiting for a 6-speed manual for a while. I just ordered my first few. They are not due here until the end of December.

The performance and real-world FE is what stands out.
    If they don't want to get grief, they might want to consider making an "s" trim with the SkyActiv...
    edited November 2011
    The "i" and "s" monikers are to differentiate between engine sizes. The "i" has always been a smaller displacement engine and the "s" a larger displacement. It has nothing to do with available features.

The majority of the consumers buying the Skyactiv Mazda3's really don't care about the things being mention in this thread. Mazda's target audience wants performance and economy, of which it offers both.

Since we are on the topic, we can get picky on features all day, but we can do that with every other brand. For instance, the following are not even available, or are not standard on an Elantra:

Bi-Xenon headlights
    Blind-Spot monitoring system
    rain-sensing front windshield wipers
    power drivers seat
    standard spare tire
    multi-information display
    standard Bluetooth phone / audio

It goes both ways. Mazda is not getting grief so far...
    edited November 2011
    "The "i" and "s" monikers are to differentiate between engine sizes. The "i" has always been a smaller displacement engine and the "s" a larger displacement. It has nothing to do with available features."

Not exactly true; the "s" models have always been offered with features which were not available on the "i" models for love nor money.

The majority of the consumers buying the Skyactiv Mazda3's really don't care about the things being mention in this thread. Mazda's target audience wants performance and economy, of which it offers both.

While that might be Mazda's official line, I don't for a moment believe it. Virtually everybody I've chatted with regarding the SkyActiv Mazda3 offerings have either wanted a strippo model, or a full boat model (complete with dual-zone climate control) and the option of a manual transmission. Mazda fails to deliver when it comes to the higher end models, especially so if the buyer wants a manual transmission version.

Since we are on the topic, we can get picky on features all day, but we can do that with every other brand. For instance, the following are not even available, or are not standard on an Elantra:

Bi-Xenon headlights
    Blind-Spot monitoring system
    rain-sensing front windshield wipers
    power drivers seat
    standard spare tire
    multi-information display
    standard Bluetooth phone / audio

It goes both ways. Mazda is not getting grief so far...

I don't believe this is a relevant argument. Why? Because Mazda is the only one of the manufacturers you listed which is trying to position itself as the Japanese alternative to lower end BMWs. The thing is, Mazda's market differentiation between other Asian marques is their blend of performance and luxury goodies.

In my case, if I cannot have a Mazda3 with a SkyActiv engine, a manual transmission, and all of the options reserved for the "s" models, then my current string of Mazdas will end at one and I'll go right back to BMW for my next car.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Add me to the "minority" that wants available features on the skyactiv engine. It costs mazda nothing to offer the GT with the skyactive enigne and MT. It will most likely add customers.
    Me as well. They should honestly just dump the 2.5 completely. It's no longer competitive. Put the SkyActiv in the "s" trims.

I'll hold out for the CX-5, see if I can get reasonably good MPGs out of that, since it'll have auto climate control. While I'd love 40, I'd settle for 35. I'm only getting 30 out of my Elantra Touring, and it always feels underpowered.
    edited November 2011
    Not exactly true; the "s" models have always been offered with features which were not available on the "i" models for love nor money.

While you have always been able to get more features on an "s" model, the moniker definition I gave is correct. Mazda uses those letters to differentiate between engine displacements. Other Mazda models that offer only one engine divide the featured content into Sport, Touring and Grand Touring trims.

While that might be Mazda's official line, I don't for a moment believe it. Virtually everybody I've chatted with regarding the SkyActiv Mazda3 offerings have either wanted a strippo model, or a full boat model (complete with dual-zone climate control) and the option of a manual transmission. Mazda fails to deliver when it comes to the higher end models, especially so if the buyer wants a manual transmission version.

Can you please name a compact car that has dual climate? Mazda does not fail to deliver, I have listed several items they offer in a higher end that no one else offers at the price, however you disregard it as irrelevant. Why? You are hung up on one feature....dual-climate.

I don't believe this is a relevant argument. Why? Because Mazda is the only one of the manufacturers you listed which is trying to position itself as the Japanese alternative to lower end BMWs.

After working for the company for almost a decade, I can tell you that you are 100% incorrect. Mazda is not trying to be an alternative to BMW. My arguemnt is 100% valid and sound because you claim that " Virtually everybody I've chatted with regarding the SkyActiv Mazda3 offerings have either wanted a strippo model, or a full boat model (complete with dual-zone climate control)". Outside of ONE FEATURE, Mazda offeres virtually everything you cannot get on a Elantra, Civic, Cruze, Corolla, Forte, Sentra, and yet you call my arguement irrelevant? I will give you the manual transmission as a valid point, as well as the climate control. However, to be fair, who offeres dual-climate in the 40mpg club?

You need to explain and offer more factual data to confirm the premises you are offering, because your conclusion does not follow suit. I have given you examples of why "Mazda gets it", as you put it, and how they offer features of a "fully loaded" model that you claim people want. You need to use more than the lack of dual-climate as to why you claim Mazda "does not get it". That is not a sound and valid argument.
    Mazda uses those letters to differentiate between engine displacements.

Then why didn't they change it when going from the 2.3 to the 2.5?

Can you please name a compact car that has dual climate?

Chevy Cruze.

If I can not get the SkyActiv with auto climate control, it is a strong possibility I will not buy the Mazda3. I drive 100 miles a day and can't afford to deal with the 2.5's rottten fuel economy.
    edited November 2011
    "If I can not get the SkyActiv with auto climate control, it is a strong possibility I will not buy the Mazda3. I drive 100 miles a day and can't afford to deal with the 2.5's rottten fuel economy."

I'm in the same boat, I work a morning contract in Boston and an afternoon contract in Concord, NH (80 miles north of Boston). This time of year especially, you can be tooling along on say a forty degree day in blazing sunlight, and then round a bend/pass through some heavy forest/drive under a dense cloud, and suddenly it gets friggin' cold in the car. Turn the heat up, come back out into the sunlight and roast. Driving to my son's semi-final playoff game this Saturday (over 100 miles up the road from our house), I probably had to adjust the manual climate controls in my Mazda3 an easy fifty or sixty times; highly annoying.

Climate control is one of those things (automatic wipers are another) which you never think you'll need or even care about, and then once you have them on a car, you'll never want to do without again.

Regarding the Mazda3, it is an extremely stupid move on Mazda's part to restrict the high-end options of the "s" models from the Mazda3s equipped with what is arguably Mazda's best engine (the SkyActiv-G), and then to further restrict the option availablity for those of us whom which to stir our own gears. Some may wish to keep singing the company line, but the fact is, the Mazda3 already has all of the features many of us want, it is just Mazda's short-sighted and arbritrary rules on which features and options can be configured with which engines and which transmissions that stand in their way of further distancing their offerings from the competition.

In my case, I'll gladly pay an additional ten to fifteen thousand dollars for a car which has the features and options I want/demand.
    edited November 2011
    "Can you please name a compact car that has dual climate?"

BMW 128i and Audi A3 to name two more.

Mazda does not fail to deliver, I have listed several items they offer in a higher end that no one else offers at the price, however you disregard it as irrelevant. Why?

Mazda completely fails to deliver, they give buyers a mutually exclusive decision to make, either buy a car with the full-boat set of features and options and the inferior 2.5 liter engine, or buy a stripped car with the SkyActiv engine. That is an epic fail. That no other manufacturer offers it at the price point of the Mazda3 is in fact irrelevant; I'll gladly pay a higher price to get those features.

You are hung up on one feature....dual-climate.

See my post above this one.
    Chevy Cruze.

If I can not get the SkyActiv with auto climate control, it is a strong possibility I will not buy the Mazda3. I drive 100 miles a day and can't afford to deal with the 2.5's rottten fuel economy.

The Cruze Eco 6-speed manual, which is the only 40mpg Cruze you can get does not offer it.
    So what? I can get a 36-37 MPG Cruze that DOES have it. Versus a 38 MPG Mazda3 hatch that doesn't.

Incidentally I get a supplier discount on the Cruze. I don't particularly WANT the Cruze, but I could. But I have difficulty understanding Mazda's decision to restrict things like auto climate control the the less efficient and more primitive 2.5L trims. And you have failed to explain it.
    Shipo-

You did not answer a single question I asked. Your logic for "Mazda does not get it" was based on not offering dual-climate. Well, no other 40mpg compact car offers it either, so, I guess no company gets it, now do they? That would be the conclusion based on your premises.

BMW 128i and Audi A3 to name two more.

Those do not compete with the Mazda3 and get no where near 40mpg!!!! A Mazda3 2.5 will do better on gas and it runs on regular!

I should have been more clear. What vehicles in the Mazda3 segment, and class, offer dual-climate. I have been made aware of the Cruze, but you cannot get the one and only 42mpg Cruze Eco with it. All other Cruze's get under 38mpg or less.

Mazda completely fails to deliver, they give buyers a mutually exclusive decision to make, either buy a car with the full-boat set of features and options and the inferior 2.5 liter engine, or buy a stripped car with the SkyActiv engine. That is an epic fail.

It's one feature! Please answer how ONE FEATURE translates into an "epic fail"? You are shaing opinions and trying to pass them off as facts based on no evidence.

Again, I have offered several features that you can get in a 40 mpg Mazda that you cannot get in any other 40mpg compact car. It is obvious the lack of a dual climate control in the Mazda3 Skyactiv is your sticking point, which is ok and something I happen to agree with you on. However, your reson does not lead to the logical conclusion based o your argument. Becuase based on your logic, no one in this segment "gets it".
    edited November 2011
    I'll have to disagree there. Mazda should not unceremoniously dump the 2.5 . . . unless they have an upgraded skyactiv engine to replace it with.

I *don't* drive 20k miles per year, and I am more than happy to pay the extra $300-$400 in annual fuel cost in exchange for significantly livelier performance in daily driving.

Also, not to interject too directly into a random conversation, anyone that is seriously cross-shopping a Mazda 3 and a BMW 1/3-series should just buy the 3-series already and stop worrying. Life is too short. If the 1/3-series fits your needs and your budget, why make life complicated?
    "You did not answer a single question I asked. Your logic for "Mazda does not get it" was based on not offering dual-climate. Well, no other 40mpg compact car offers it either, so, I guess no company gets it, now do they? That would be the conclusion based on your premises."

You're missing the point entirely; I'm not at all hung up on the 40 mpg thing, in fact, if I had my choice I'd opt for a 5-Door Mazda3 "s" GT with the SkyActiv-G engine and the manual transmission which returns something like 38 mpg (correct?). The larger issue is that there are in fact other cars which offer either mileage as good as (Cruze) or nearly as good as and yet have lots more power (A3) which do offer a fully featured car. If Mazda wants to play dumb and continue offering a mutually exclusive set of features; I'll be buying my next car from a different manufacturer.

"Those do not compete with the Mazda3 and get no where near 40mpg!!!! A Mazda3 2.5 will do better on gas and it runs on regular!"

Too funny! Per the lame EPA tests, a Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6-Speed gets 20/28 mpg; the Audi A3 gets 21/30 on the same test and has SIGNIFICANTLY more power to boot. The thing is, in the "real world" the Mazda3 2.5 has a very difficult time returning mileage as good as the EPA tests indicate, while the Audi A3 has no problem exceeding those results by five or six miles per gallon.

The rest of your post is once again hung up on the 40 mpg thing, and like it or don't, the difference between 38 mpg and 40 mpg works out to a virtually irrelevant thirteen extra gallons (263 vs. 250) for every ten-thousand miles of driving. Personally I'd gladly spend the extra $52 (per ten-thousand miles) so that I can have a car where I don't have to fiddle with the climate control every couple of miles.

Long story short, Mazda makes their buyers choose between creature comforts/driver conveniences and fuel economy. If the 2.5 liter engine wasn't such a pig this wouldn't be much of an issue, but the fact that the 2.5 liter returns worse fuel economy than the 200 hp motor of the Audi A3 means the engine is the "s" model is horribly out of date and should be scrapped entirely.
    edited November 2011
    "Also, not to interject too directly into a random conversation, anyone that is seriously cross-shopping a Mazda 3 and a BMW 1/3-series should just buy the 3-series already and stop worrying. Life is too short. If the 1/3-series fits your needs and your budget, why make life complicated?"

I left the BMW fold when my wife and I had our economic situation change rather dramatically; I ended up in a Mazda3 as a result. Looking forward I thought that if Mazda could continue deliver the driving experience delivered by my current car, and offer more creature comforts combined with dramatically better fuel economy, I'd stick with Mazda next time around. Apparently Mazda could care less about folks wanting fuel efficient cars with lots goodies; as a result they've already lost a sale to my wife, and if they don't change their tune in the next twelve months or so, they're going to lose a sale to me as well.

Fortunately for us, it looks like we're climbing out of the hole we ended up in when we both got "downsized" by the economy (her division of the company she worked for was shut-down, mine just cut all of us "consultants" in one fell-swoop), and a year from now a new F30 incarnation of the BMW 328i (a car which, if BMW's press releases can be believed should return in excess of 36 miles per gallon) should be well within my reach. :shades:

Long story short, this is Mazda's sale to lose.
    But I have difficulty understanding Mazda's decision to restrict things like auto climate control the the less efficient and more primitive 2.5L trims. And you have failed to explain it.

It's not my place to since I don't build the cars. You have to ask Mazda. Mazda does view the 2.5 as the performance alternative and keeping features exclusive to that model are not uncommon in the indusrty. Again, I wish they offered it, but they don't and there is no resaon to since none of their competitors offer it.

BTW, according to Chevy's website, the Cruze does not offer dual-cliamte. Only single climate.
    Hold out for the CX-5, that should have the auto climate. Should have a USB port and a bigger infotainment screen too. Remains to be seen how good the fuel economy is: it's supposed to have a really low drag coefficient, and since it uses a SkyActiv chassis the weight could be down close to a Mazda3. Should be well north of 30 MPG highway, I'm hopeful it'll be up around 35 (wouldn't it be great if it were HIGHER?). Realistically I'm betting somewhere between 30 and 35.

Unfortunately, the hosts have not seen fit to create a Mazda CX-5 topic. Too bad, it's about to be officially unveiled at the LA Auto show. That's what's called a hint people. :shades:
    Bluetooth isn't "standard" (all trims) on the Mazda3, either.

Where's the standard 6-speed transmissions (all trims)? Where's those available bun warmers for the rear seat?? ;)
    BTW, according to Chevy's website, the Cruze does not offer dual-cliamte. Only single climate.

Auto climate and north of 35 MPG. Something the Cruze offers. And the Mazda3 doesn't (With the Mazda3 it's either/or). That's important to consider. Really shouldn't be a case of either/or. It wouldn't be as bad if the MPG numbers weren't so drastically different between the two main engine options (let's face it, the MZR 2L is rental fodder).
    Where's the standard 6-speed transmissions (all trims)?

That's a GOOD point..since when does the "upgraded" engine have fewer cogs than the lower end one? :shades:
    bpizzuti -

I am one of those who are holding out for hte CX-5. A Mazda3 will not fit my needs in the least bit. It's only a matter of days before we find out what is in store for the North American market.

Mazda has claimed that the FWD version will get better than the 32mpg the Equinox is rated at. I am hoping over 30mpg on the highway for the AWD variant. I would olny buy the AWD version.
    I was thinking AWD, but I think I might actually deal with FWD. If it's snowing that bad I'll generally work from home, and AWD might inspire me to risk my neck when I shouldn't. I could use the ground clearance and the height though. Get tired of scraping on curbs when I park. ">
    Shipo-

In the end, the Mazda3 Skyactiv will not flop, or be an epic fail because it does not offer dual-climate. I'm sure they will sell just fine, as they always have, even with sub-par fuel economy. You might not buy one, but over 100,000 - 120,000 per year will, which is what Mazda is looking for.

We are looking at this from two different perspectives. I am basing my argument on logic and you are basing it off of personal opinion and preference. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just a different type of argument, that's all. Let's just agree to disagree.
    The car would be for my wife, and since we sold her Subaru a few years back, she has been on my case about another AWD car. She has been driving my 2005 Mazda6 5-speed and just prefers an automatic and AWD. Plus, she drives around my kids, so the added safety of AWD is worth it, IMO.

You know what they say...happy wife, happy life!
    BTW, according to Chevy's website, the Cruze does not offer dual-cliamte. Only single climate."

Single climate control is good enough for me; the only reason I referenced "Dual-Zone" is because that's a feature Mazda already has in their parts bin and it would be cheaper for them to offer that on SkyActiv models than to develop an entirely new HVAC interface.
    Knew there was a reason i was still single. When I buy a car, it's for ME :shades:
    "In the end, the Mazda3 Skyactiv will not flop, or be an epic fail because it does not offer dual-climate. I'm sure they will sell just fine, as they always have, even with sub-par fuel economy. You might not buy one, but over 100,000 - 120,000 per year will, which is what Mazda is looking for."

My "logic" says that since they already have all of the parts currently in production to build the car the way many-many of us seem to want it, they could increase the numbers quoted by another twenty or thirty percent if they would just lose the bone-headed mutually exclusive option requirement they have in place.
    My "logic" says that since they already have all of the parts currently in production to build the car the way many-many of us seem to want it, they could increase the numbers quoted by another twenty or thirty percent if they would just lose the bone-headed mutually exclusive option requirement they have in place.

20-30% increase? Can't use logic without any factual premises my friend. That's an opinion. If it were a fact, Mazda would have included it. Don't you tihnk?
    "Don't you tihnk?"

No, I don't tihnk, in fact, I don't think either. Too many companies rely in flawed marketing data to determine product mixes, and my bet is that Mazda is doing the same here.

Example: Both Chevy and Ford were caught flat footed by how many of their customers wanted manual transmissions in the Cruze and Focus. Chevy has already changed their mix so that one can now buy a non-ECO Cruze with a manual transmissio and the 1.4 liter turbo. The Ford rep we're working with for my wife's next car told us Ford was also reevaluating their mix of manual transmission offerings for the Focus (currently only available in the "S" and "SE" models) because of the surprising demand for a 6-Speed manual for the Titanium model.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Not surprised about the head in the sand mentality from a car company employee. No wonder they make such silly decisions about options availability. Mazda is not alone here they all seem to do it. Try getting a well optioned car without a sunroof. You listening Honda.

Here is how the logic typically works. Only cheapskates want an MT so lets only offer it on the cheaper cars. As a result sales suffer because people that want a stick may not be able to get the features they want, the dealers order fewer sticks because they are less profitable low end models etc. For these reasons sales are not great. Then to cap it all off the manufacturer drops the stick altogether because of poor sales. - gee who couda seen that coming?

It is no coincidence that cars with high take rates on the stick are also cars that offer a stick on every model - mini etc.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited November 2011
    wow.

My random 2 cents.

Mazda has been working on the whole suite of Skyactiv technologies for about 6 or 7 years.

The Mazda3 is the first time it's actually been on the market. They are phasing it in. To start with options are somewhat limited, perhaps to simplify the manufacturing process. I agree with others that this was not a good idea. I think there is a significant group of early adopters who will pay extra for the latest tech and who want their car loaded to the hilt.

I'm actually one of those. I special ordered a 2008 Honda Accord EXL Navi with the 5 speed manual in just the color I wanted. I've had the car for 4 years and completely love it. It's exactly what I want. But I guess there aren't enough like me, because Honda has discontinued manuals in the top trims of the Accord. What was possible for the first two years in this Accord is no longer possible now.

Could be wrong, but I think Mazda is going the other direction, and I applaud them. The first year of Skyactiv, things are somewhat limited. That's too bad, but my guess is that when we get to 2013 Mazda will have a larger range of options for the 3 with the Skyactiv engine.

And look what we get now.

A safe and functional and sporty sedan or hatch that gets up to 40 mpg. That's pretty impressive.

Popular Mechanics seems to have already rated the Mazda3 with Skyactiv as their top small sedan.

I think Consumer Reports might do the same. If they end up rating the Mazda3 as number 1 in small cars that could be worth a significant number of sales.

I say three cheers for Mazda. And they should have more options available with Skyactiv--*yes*, they should do that and probably will by 2013. But it is a shame and a pity that they are losing some sales now because of this.

But what we've got now may be the equal to the best-in-class in this price range in so many areas--handling, steering, braking, smoothness of manual trans, economy, etc., that Mazda deserves applause and sales.

For a very small company in the terms of the global auto biz they are putting their money in the right place and building fine cars.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Here's the problem: I can't put up with this Hyundai for another year. So either I'm buying a Mazda3 sometime in the next 6 months, or I'm buying a Mazda CX-5 sometime in the next 6 months....or I buy something else. I'm not waiting for them to decide that it is now time to offer climate control. And considering how much time I spend in my car every day, that's now an important feature for me. As is the entertainment system (read: USB port, though I bet a Mazda dealer would give me a cheap iPod to use with their iPod interface to make the sale).
    It's a Complete Package
    Although the drivetrains are the main story on the 2012 Mazda 3, driving this car on back roads reminds us why it remains a favorite of ours in the compact car class.

Even the i Touring trim, with workaday P205/55R16 Bridgestone Turanza EL400 tires, has exceptional grip and balance through corners. Power steering assist remains hydraulic (albeit with an electric motor driving the pump) and the steering feel is beyond what any other automaker has achieved in this price range. Even with only 155 hp, the Mazda 3 is a purer sport compact than some other cars with 50-100 hp more.

The 2012 Mazda 3 is also an excellent value. Our manual-shift i Touring sedan has essentials, including a telescoping steering wheel, Bluetooth and an auxiliary input (a proprietary iPod cable remains a dealer accessory), and costs just $19,245 — right in line with a comparably equipped Chevrolet Cruze, Ford Focus, Honda Civic or Hyundai Elantra. For the hatchback, it runs $19,745, which is $1,000 less than the cheapest 2011 Mazda 3 five-door (which only came with the 2.5-liter). And if you want the automatic, it's $850 more.

Although the 2.0-liter Skyactiv-G will be the volume engine on the 2012 Mazda 3, the automaker isn't expecting an overall increase in Mazda 3 sales, which usually hover around 100,000 units per year.

This is too bad, because the fuel mileage is for real with the new drivetrains, and unlike most other approaches to maximizing mpg, they don't put a damper on the fun. Instead, it's quite the opposite. The Mazda 3 has never been better.
    I liked this Edmunds article. I am waiting for a head-to-head comparo with the other compacts. I'm pretty confident Mazda will excel in many categories. They did come in 3rd out of 8 in a comparo done over the summer by Motor Trend, and that was with the old 2.0L and old 5-speed AT.

This new Skyactiv technology is for real. I've been privledged with experencing and being educated on this technology for quite sometime now. It's not just a marketing ploy.
    I think either car would be awesome. i agree with you that they should have climate control on the 3. The CX-5 should definitely have it. And it's the complete Skyactiv package. It should get at least 35 mpg on the hwy. Why don't you wait 6 months.

I've lost track, what model of Hyundai do you have, and how long have you had it? Why is it you can't stand it?
    I agree. The Skyactiv stuff is for real.

If MT rated the Mazda3 third with old engine and transmission, imagine what it'll do with the new stuff. I'm thinking maybe number one? Hard to say. If they do get number one I hope Mazda starts advertising the heck out of these accolades in the automotive press.

I'm hoping they can start finally growing in the US. Sales for Mazda have been ok for the last 25 years, but in spite of a lot of ups and downs they are more or less where they were a quarter of a century ago...
    speaking of advertising the heck out of...

Mazda has really been hitting the airwaves with the "jailbreak ad." It's starting to get old. I've probably seen it 50 times now (which is saying something, because half the time I do watch TV, it's HBO or SHO). I hope they saved some of the ad budget for a second spot...because as good as the first one was, it's getting stale.
    2009 Elantra Touring. Underpowered, and just feels bigger than it is, but without the associated comfort of a bigger car. And I hate the tranny: it's generally either in 4th gear for cruising or 2nd gear to accelerate. 1st and 3rd are pretty much useless, passing always kicks all the way down to 2nd.

Also has a stiff suspension but without the associated good handling. Rottenly numb steering. And stability control but no traction control, which can be interesting on a slippery hill. On the upside it does have a USB port, lots of legroom in the back seat, and a decent amount of cargo room. And it has been reliable. Just not satisfying.
    Interesting. Mazda made a stick i Touring Skyactiv available for Edmunds' testing. But how many of those are available to the general public? If Mazda thought that automatics would be a lot more popular, wouldn't they have sent Edmunds an automatic? :confuse:

As for price, the article is a little off on that... pretty close on the Cruze, maybe on the Focus. But about $600 more than a stick Civic LX and $400 more than a better equipped Elantra, which includes AT and alloys (a stick w/o Bluetooth is $2000 less).

So $19k for a car like the i Touring stick isn't bad... but, does it matter if they don't exist in the real world of car buying?
    That's the station wagon, right? I bet you would have liked a Mazda5. Heck, you probably still would except for the lack of Skyactiv.

Climate control (single) is standard on the Mazda5. Nice steering. Nice handling. Cargo room is bigger than the E Touring.

And big discounts are available on the Mazda5.

But maybe you're ready to move away from a wagon?
    They are making some of these manuals, right? Or are they? They are still gearing up production, and maybe they'll become more common? Still, there don't seem to be any at all near where I live...

I think a Mazda3 skyactiv beats a Civic in a number of important ways--6 speed to 5, higher mpg, better steering, better handling, non intrusive struts on the trunk, etc.