Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tire Road Noise-2012 Chevy Equinox

tomsfiretrucktomsfiretruck Member Posts: 6
edited August 2014 in Chevrolet
New car yesterday. Noticed on the drive home that the tire road noise on raods that are not really smooth surface is extremely annoying.

Driving on smooth concrete and asphalt surfaces the noise is OK

Anyone have any info on this.

Traded in my trusty 2004 Blazer (Fred) Good trade pricing (76502)
MSRP pricing pretty strong. Some room to adjust.
Too many whistles and bells to figure out....(grins)

Regards............

Comments

• runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    A. check tire pressure
    B. size and brand? Maybe they have change brands for '12. My 17" Michelins are quiet as church mouse. I know the 18" wheels generate a little more bump over the road.
  • runoxrunox Member Posts: 156
    Almost forgot since we have primarily black top roads in the northeast, but down south where concrete is king there we did experience a little road noise. It was clearly attributable to the concrete because there were sections where the surface switched from BT to C and C to BT where you could hear the change. Even then I didn't consider it intrusive and basically didn't notice the noise on concrete after a few sec's. But that may be attributable to cranking up the volume a bit on the southern country stations. :blush:
  • corvettedrivercorvettedriver Member Posts: 1

Absolutely correct, I changed tire pressure from 35 to 32 , made a big difference. Ride is not smooth. my 2003 Jeep grand cherokee rides better. I have the 17in Michelin. Otherwise ok, seat not very comfortable. BUT have AWD and the small engine get 21 in town and 30mpg hiway at at 72 with 2 passengers.

• cmhj2000cmhj2000 Member Posts: 381

Have noticed, of course different road surfaces make different noises as does tire pressures.

GL

• tdw1954tdw1954 Member Posts: 8
    The OEM Michelin Latitude tires do make a 'lot' of noise on certain road surfaces. And they aren't very good as a rain tire. Even slight ponding on the road causes the car to jerk sideways as it hits puddles. On the plus side I have over 65,000 miles on my original tires now and they're still wearing evenly and they are reasonably smooth and handle well.

The noise issue is bad enough I'm going to a quieter tire when the time comes for new tires.