Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Sierra Low Engine Pressure problem with Active Fuel Management

lawboblawbob Member Posts: 2
I have a 2009 Sierra with Active Fuel Management. Driving into work this morning my low oil Pressure light came on. The dealer just called and told me that this is an issue with this engine and the fuel management. He said they are doing an initial repair involving installing a baffle in the oil pan, cleaning out the engine, and replacing some gaskets. All of this is drive train warranty work and if I have the problem again, they will do a more expensive repair involving rebuilding the engine. Has anyone else had this problem and what is the real issue?

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I’m interested in hearing how your repair turns out. If you would like Customer Assistance in any way (dealership follow-up, recall/warranty information specific to your vehicle), please email us with your information (name/user name, VIN, dealership) and we’d be happy to assist!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • sierradriversierradriver Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2009 GMC Sierra: While driving to work on the freeway this morning, the dashboard lit up like a x-mas tree, the messages cycled through and the chimes were going off. Messages read: front & rear tire pressure, stop engine immediately, low oil pressure, etc. Pulled over, turned it off, waited a few minutes then turned it back on. Only the tire issue light remained. Drove a little further and the same thing happened but this time I pulled into an oil change place just to see about my oil level. No issues with oil level at all, but the sensor and gauge were stating ZERO oil pressure. Sounds like a major computer problem.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone else?
    Sarah - Please tell me what to do.
    Sierradriver,

Our initial step in addressing vehicle concerns is to have you set up an appointment with a dealership so they can diagnose what may be causing the situation you've described. If you would like Customer Assistance in working with your dealership towards resolving this concern, we're happy to help. Please email us your name/username, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership.

Looking forward to assisting,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lawboblawbob Member Posts: 2
    Sarah,
    The dealer completed my repairs the day I took the truck in. I have not had any recurrence of the problem yet. I was told to return in 2000 miles for the dealer to see if the fix worked. I was told that the fix works in 50% of the vehicles that they try it on. The dealer also told me that they had done a number of these repairs. What is the problem that necessitates this fix?
    I'm glad to hear you haven't had any recurrence of the problem yet. Unfortunately, I do not have any information in regards to diagnostics available. If you were to contact your dealership and reference the last 8 digits of your VIN, they would be better able to answer this question.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • turbo122turbo122 Member Posts: 2
    I purchase my 2009 Sierra new from the lot. After the days became colder a significant bottom end engine knock occurs each time I start the engine. I took it back to the dealer and they put in an "engine treatment" and basically said that's all they could do. I know have only 20k miles on the engine and the knock still continues on each start up, lasting approximately 1-2 minutes...then goes away.

Has anyone else had this issue??
    Is this something you were planning on revisiting your dealership for?
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • turbo122turbo122 Member Posts: 2
    Based upon the feedback from the dealer, "this is basically all we can do" I have not reached back out to them.

I guess my feeling of being moved along didn't actually provide me with the sense they knew what to do, if anything.

I have changed the oil approximately every 2,000 miles since owning the truck and it has never been subjected to any harse environments and I have never towed anything with the vehicle.

I have basically been very satisified with the truck with the exception of the loud knock on start up (which I fear everyday will result in something major happening).
    Understandable. If you decide to go back, or ever need help, we're here! I hope you have many more happy miles with your truck,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ceb66ceb66 Member Posts: 70
    Hi turbo,

My 2011 knocks/taps in the morning. It doesn't matter what the weather is. It's knocked since brand new.

Not sure, but mine is probably a hydraulic lifter noise.

I've got so many other issues with the truck, GM doesn't want to hear about the " engine knock " so many are complaining about.
  • konderskonders Member Posts: 1
    My father has a 2010 with the 5.3, got a knock in engine. The dealership changed a small belt, then a idler wheel and belt then put engine treatment in and noise still there. They now found out there is "pitting" on the crankshaft journals, replaced under warranty and all good now. The dealership informed him that this is a issue effecting some trucks in Canada and the USA.