Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited January 2012
    Notice how C&D pointed out that the (earlier separate test) result for the 6-speed manual Veloster was even WORSE (25 mpg overall) than the result for the DCT Veloster (28 mpg overall), even though the EPA figures are "comparable", at about 29 mpg city?

The key phrase is "earlier separate test". Since the manual and DCT cars were tested separately, we don't know how conditions and driving behavior compare between the two tests. What would be interesting is a comparison of the manual and DCT under exactly the same conditions--as close as is possible anyway.

Oddly, the test results reported across many magazines and tests are showing Hyundais that are coming in at or below their city ratings.

The test reports from car mags like C/D almost always have low fuel economy numbers, based on how they drive the cars. CR tends to drive cars more like normal people would, and they've reported:

Accent: 31 overall (above city rating)
    Elantra: 29 overall (at city rating)
    Elantra Touring: 26 overall (above city rating... actually at the EPA combined rating)
    Sonata GLS: 27 overall (above city rating... actually above the EPA combined rating)
    Tucson: 22 overall (at city rating)
    Santa Fe: 20 overall (at city rating)

So from CR's tests at least, all the Hyundais they've recently tested at least hit the EPA city rating, and 50% exceeded the city rating.
  • elimitedelimited Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a used Elantra Limited last week. 13K miles on it, well maintained with several oil/filter changes to date.

Drive about 100 miles/day to work and have averaged about 32 mpg on winter gas in Northeast corridor.

ECO on, cruise control sometimes, other times around 80 to blend with the flow of traffic.

Based on what I've been reading here I think 40 may be possible in warmer temps, all highway etc., but I'm pretty sure it won't be happening anytime soon for me.
  • g2iowag2iowa Member Posts: 123
    Think a key to achieving 40 mpg highway is to be realistic on the speeds driven. From what I'm seeing in my '12 GLS AT, both FE achieved at driven speeds and looking at the tachometer as speed increases, I seriously doubt one should expect 40 mpg if one routinely is driving 75 mph and up. So if you're going 80 mph, getting 32 mpg may be quite realistic. But it seems entirely realistic to achieve 40 mpg at steady speeds in the 60-65 mph range. Just because the EPA stickers it at 40 mpg highway doesn't mean one can drive at 75, 80, or 85 mph and expect to get max FE. Higher speeds force engine to work much harder and FE to suffer accordingly.

I took my daughter back to campus yesterday. I decided to drive on interstate at 62 mph with active ECO and cruise control. Only 90 miles roundtrip. The other 18 miles were city/suburb driving. But the computer mpg reading was at 42 mpg and rising. When I filled her up, I achieved 37.62 mpg (107.6 miles and 2.860 gals). Once again the computer reading higher than actual result achieved. Used 87 oct unleaded (non-ethanol). Was about 40-45 deg F. Two adults and 60 pounds luggage on way up; only 1 adult on way back.
  • mikewallace1mikewallace1 Member Posts: 24
    This is the 1st tank that I started tracking. 500 miles on the Limited.

Drove it 80 miles highway and 180 non highway and I averaged 24.8mpg - computer had it at 25.8.

Only got 258 miles on a tank and took 10.4 to fill up.
    Can you tell us more about conditions of the 260 miles? Speed on highway, temperature, wind, # of stops, traffic, average speed (I think the Elantra tracks that?), tire pressures? Thanks.
  • majorbenmajorben Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2012
    I just wanted to let you know that for the past 5 weeks my wife has used the vehicle exclusively (long story behind that). Anyway, she travels to and from work, and she does most of the shopping, so her use has mostly been local. Short trips between 5 and 25 miles. Her daily drive to work is approximately 15 miles round trip. The car has been averaging approx. 24.5 mpg per tank, and to me, that doesn't seem to be too bad considering that we've been using 87 octane with 10% ethanol and that we're now in winter temps (Although, it has been a rather mild winter with most night time temps getting into the 20's-30's and most daytime temps in the 40's-50's.) The car is kept in the garage overnight (lucky her), so there hasn't been any warmup period in the morning when she starts it.

This past weekend when the car was averaging approx, 22.5 mpg as per the car's readout, she had to take it on a 90 mile drive that was mostly (95%) highway. The speed limit on the highway is mostly 65, and she most always did just that. (She's a very conservative driver.) She had 2 passengers for the entire trip (approx 275 lbs in addition to her weight), and the hills were minor on the first part of her trip, but there were some average to above average hills on the 2nd part of the trip. Thankfully, the FE went up to 33 mpg after she calculated it at a fill up. It seems to me that the FE is about as good as it is going to get because the breakin period is just about done. Although, I would expect, and I would hope, that it got better FE during the warmer months especially with non-ethanol gas, I rather doubt that it is going to get much better than 35-36. All in all, that's not too bad, but it remains to be seen.

We'll be taking it in to the dealer for it's 1st service soon, and we'll be asking for a fuel consumption test. I doubt that anything will be found, and if not, I, too, will be contacting Hyundai for what it is worth, if nothing changes after the car gets more tank fulls after this 1st oil change and after the warmer weather arrives. I still remain to be impressed.
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    Backy: Your post on Hyundai models is exactly the reason we chose the 2012 Sonata GLS over the Elantra and other models to include Camry, Altima, Malibu etc. 24/35 vs. 29/40 for the Sonata vs. Elantra. We were tempted by the high Elantra numbers but opted for the larger (read more comfort) choice. so far the MPG is 22-25 in city driving and 37.6 at 67MPH average for highway on a100 mile trip with some hills. Increased speed of 10% resulted in drop to 35 that makes sense. Car not broken in but hoping these figures hold up. If fuel use is #1 concern and/or mostly city driving and not highway, then the Elantra is the choice. Both deliver a lot of value.
    I drove all of the highway miles using cruise at 65mph. Slight hills and wind that day no traffic. I babied it.

The non highway miles my spouse drove over the course of a week or 2 back and forth to work and errands.

Avg temps was about 40.

The avg computed speed was 27 but I have my doubts about that being accurate.

I took the avg from 25 to 30 during my highway miles but the avg speed only went from 27 to 31. Considering there weren't many miles on the tank at that point, I thought if should have went much higher.

Not sure what the tire pressures were.

Second tank is averaging 24.0 per the computer. Coast for a half mile and it goes up .1 then lightly step on the gas and it drops .2. lol

Nothing even close to 29.
    Second tank is averaging 24.0 per the computer. Coast for a half mile and it goes up .1 then lightly step on the gas and it drops .2. lol

I see similar behavior on my Sentra when it hasn't been long since I reset the mpg meter. When coasting, FE is likely over 100 mpg. One key to high FE is to keep one's foot off the accelerator as much as possible.
  • brandtcpc1brandtcpc1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2012 Elantra Limited only gets 32 MPG highway. I drive 100 miles per day and 90% of that is highway. I am the only person in the car with nothing else in it. I have tried everything changing fuel types, higher octain, but no help. Hyundai dealer says it will get better. I have 13K on the car now. I wish I would have knwon this before I bought the thing. This car has AT.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    What is your top speed during that highway drive? The EPA Highway test cycle that gives that 40 mpg number has a 60 mph top speed and an average overall speed for the test of about 48.3 mph. Speeds above that top or average will drop fuel economy, sometimes a great deal.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    on a recent trip to orlando from where i live in hallandale beach,fla i achieved 43 mpg on the highway according to the trip computer with a little over 3000 miles on the odometer.city mpg with mostly stop and go traffic is about 27.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    edited January 2012
    The EPA Highway test cycle that gives that 40 mpg number has a 60 mph top speed and an average overall speed for the test of about 48.3 mph.

Incorrect. Read the test criteria: "Beginning with 2008 models, three additional tests will be used to adjust the city and highway estimates to account for higher speeds, air conditioning use, and colder temperatures."

It was 2007 and earlier EPA estimates (which were generally reported higher MPG) that did not exceed 60mph. High speeds, A/C, and cold weather driving were incorporated in 2008.

P.S. Steady speed driving at 70mph or more will rarely yield EPA Hwy numbers in any car. It is aimed more at what you SHOULD achieve at 65mph with a warm engine, level terrain, appropriate tire pressure, fuel, cruise on etc.

My bet is I could get 40mpg out of a new Elantra if I tried, but I don't own one. ;) Driving 75mph I wouldn't expect more than 35mpg.
    What I said was true. If you look at the detailed comparison tab on the page I referred to, you will see that the tests you mentioned do change the parameters somewhat, but only somewhat as the adjusted highway test has an average test cycle speed of 48.4 mph even though the max speed is up to 80 mph. Now if that high speed highway test had an average speed of over 60-65 mph, that would be a difference maker!
    tenpin288 you said, and I quote, "The EPA Highway test cycle that gives that 40 mpg number has a 60 mph top speed...".

That is incorrect. It goes to 80mph and the high-speed cycle includes several starts from a complete stop running to high speeds. The parameters are changed dramatically.

Telling people they have a 60mph top speed on the 40mpg hwy test? Simply not true.
    edited January 2012
    Let me rephrase/refine/restate/clarify my previous posts/statements.

Telling people they have a 60mph top speed on the 40mpg hwy test? Simply not true.

Actually it is true. The highway test top speed is 60 mph. The high speed test has a spike to 80 mph for a short time but is not a highway only test as it is designed to also include some city-style stop and go driving during its 9.9 minute/8 mile in length test cycle!

The highway test and the high speed test both have an overall average speed of just over 48 mph. And the high speed test along with the two other new tests are used to "to adjust the city and highway estimates to account for higher speeds, air conditioning use, and colder temperatures" per the EPA.

The point I am trying to bring out is that given these EPA testing parameters, it is unlikely for anyone to expect their Elantra, or any car for that matter, to get the EPA highway mileage figure when they are driving for an extended highway stretch at speeds in excess of posted speed limits. If their average speed (not top speed) for their commute exceeds the EPA average of 48 mph by a significant amount, say by averaging 70-80 mph for 10, 20, 30 miles or more due to traffic, their fuel mileage will suffer. It's just simple physics.

What I would really like the EPA to do is come up with a testing methodology closer to what Backy usually advocates for people to try. Do an extended drive at a steady state in two directions and then check mileage. It might surprise many a person!
    edited January 2012
    Actually it is true. The highway test top speed is 60 mph.

You need to re-read the EPA test critieria. The new EPA (in 2008) hwy numbers don't only include the hwy portion of the test. That's why they are (usually) much lower than the pre-2008 numbers that ONLY included the Hwy test you cite. The testing takes into account various factors to allow for high speed driving over long distances. That's what EPA Hwy numbers are supposed to reflect, not short commutes under 10 miles.

Most people can easily hit the EPA Hwy numbers driving 65 to 70mph on the highway. I'm basing this on actual drivers and actual cars; me, friends, family, acquaintances, etc. The EPA Hwy numbers were revised (usually 10% or more downward) after the Hwy only portion you cite was modified to reflect the other test critieria.

Again, most drivers easily hit the EPA Hwy numbers these days if driving 70 mph or less on over-the-road type driving. I'll quit beating the dead horse now. If you still think the Elantra's EPA 40 mpg Hwy estimate was obtained at under 60 mph, so be it. You're wrong.
    Elantra owners should get to know their cars well at highway speeds. By this I mean study the speed, tachometer reading, and achieved fuel economy. Compare tach readings at 60 mph, 65, 70, and 75. Obviously, the higher the speed the higher the RPMs and the lower the FE. Max highway fuel economy is usually in the 60-65 mph steady state range. My recent longer trip was mostly (about 90%) at 70 mph using active Eco and cruise and I achieved nearly 37 mpg. A shorter one, that had some city driving but was nearly 80% 62 mph interstate with Eco and cruise achieved 38 mpg. Both on 87 octane non-ethanol.
  • knocker81knocker81 Member Posts: 44
    I have my 2011 Elantra for a month now and all I can say is I'm very dissapointed. I've been driving a 2009 Corolla for the last 3 years averaging 28-30 miles a gal, but with this Elantra only 24-25 mpg. It has only 900 miles on it but I just can't see more than a few miles improvement. The reason I went with the Elantra is for the gas mileage, I don't see how they can claim 29/40, it's not even close. I thought I would average at least 31mpg, it's still new so I'm gonna be patient.
    Check out the link to the interesting Ward's article that is on the new "Hyundai Car of the Year" forum. This excerpt caught my eye:

"Typically, what we find is these are urban drivers who have a lot of time, much more time than they realize, just sitting and idling at a stop sign,” Krafcik says. “When we show them that’s much more severe than the EPA city-cycle, and that here are some tips on how you can drive the car, the light bulb goes off.”

Interesting. I suspect people do seriously underestimate the time spent at stop lights and stop signs which is why the Europeans are making a big deal about the auto stop/start feature, which I believe they include in their FE calculations but which our EPA may not? Hyundai may explore that feature in near future, esp. if other car makers add to their small fuel efficient vehicles? Guess only time will tell.
    Hyundai already has access to the start/stop technology for non-hybrid cars--the 2012 Rio has it available. Also I see the next Fusion will offer that feature. So maybe we'll start seeing it on more cars, including the Elantra, in the near future.

It would be interesting I think for Hyundai to offer a "high FE" version of the Elantra with the 1.6L GDI engine with auto stop/start--which is what the Rio has now. IMO 138 hp is plenty for a car of the Elantra's size and weight--it's the same or a little more than the Elantra has offered prior to the 2011 MY, and I think the 2011-12 Elantra is a little lighter than the previous two generations (mostly because the cast iron block Beta engine is gone).

Then they could also offer a sport version of the Elantra (maybe in the new coupe) with the new ~200 hp 1.6L turbo that's going into the Veloster, for those who want to go fast in their Elantras. :)
    I just drove about 60 miles (2x30) and I averaged 30.4.

I used cruise at 65.

There is no way this car can even sniff 40. It was a struggle to get 30.

It looks like for every 1 person able to get 40 there are 4 other that don't come close. I'd say there is a manufacturing issue or just false claims.

I will be probably be filing a complaint soon.
    If this was under controlled conditions, there is probably something wrong with your car, and you should document your test in writing and talk with the dealer.

Can you tell us more about how you did the test, e.g.:

* How did you measure fuel economy?
    * If you used the trip computer, when did you reset the Average readout?
    * What was the terrain?
    * What was weather like, esp. temperature and wind?
    * Did you stay at a constant 65 for both legs of the trip, or were there stops or passing?
    * What were tire pressures?
    * Any other passengers and/or cargo?
    I used the computer since I was in the middle of a tank so it was probably even less than stated.

I started the trip computer after I had the cruise control set at 65. The stated mpg was strictly highway. I reset it in the same manner on the return trip.

The terrain was not flat. Slight grades throughout.

No wind, temps 35.

Constant 65. I had to get off the cruise just once on the return trip.

Not sure what the tire pressures are, but the car has less than 1000 miles and the tires all look fine.

2 adults and 1 child round trip. Half tank of fuel.

I made the same trip today with the same conditions and got 31.2 strictly on the highway. after this trip I had to fill up and averaged 24.5 mpg on the tank - taking miles driven / gallons pumped.

Disappointing to say the least. 22% under the highway rating.
    There does seem to be something wrong with your car... unless you were going uphill most of the time (but if you went both directions in the test, that should even out). My recommendation is to carefully document all the details of your test and "take it up the chain". The Elantra is capable of much higher FE under conditions like that, based on my own experience and other reports we've seen. Heck, even my wife's 2007 Sonata does better than 31 mpg at a steady 65 mph.
    The dealer service dept said 2 things.

Try using a brand name gas (I was filling up at a Giant grocery store).

My best gas mileage should start at 2500 miles or so.

I doubt I will see much improvement but I will have to wait since I just filled up yesterday.

Are the EPA ratings done with non ethanol gas - which is just about impossible to buy any more?

I love everything else about the car but I will pursue this if things don't get better. I could live with 27/36 but 50/50 driving and 24.5 - I don't think so.
    I put whatever 87 octane I want into my wife's 2007 Sonata (2.4L 4AT) and it will do better than 31 mpg at a steady 65 mph for a 60 mile trip in anything other than extreme winter conditions. You could try a few tankfuls of name-brand gas and see if it makes a difference, if for nothing else than to be able to tell the service dept "I did that and here's the results". I have heard some folks say they get slightly better fuel economy with 89 octane gas in a car designed for regular, so there may be something to "better the gas, better the FE".

I think there's merit to the comment about the FE improving as you put more miles on the car.

Do you ever drive with the instantaneous mpg readout on? You might try that (keep your eyes moving of course) and see if you can find out the sweet spots for the car. It's also instructive to see how bad FE is when starting out on a cold morning, when accelerating and using a heavy foot vs. light foot, and especially when stopped--when the readout says "0.0".
  • rudy66rudy66 Member Posts: 26
    Forget it. You never know for sure that, for example, a brand name gas station gets its "own" gas. With exception of simply rotgut gas, gas is gas except for non-ethanol vs ethanol gas.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Some gas vendors would beg to differ with your statement: http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Well I had the chance to get a new Elantra at Enterprise this morning for my trip to Chicago. Weather conditions were far from ideal with light snow, high winds (mostly tail winds Iowa to Chicago), and temps in the low 20s.

Resent the trip meter for mpg and odo before I left. Tire pressure monitor was illuminated when I got the car and stayed lit the entire trip but the tires looked and felt fine. Gas tank was full at pick-up. Driving was 90% hwy and 10% city and I covered 194 miles getting here (near Evanston, IL). Car was a 2012 Elantra GLS with 23,398 on the clock and a 6-sp auto. Typical fleet car with no additional options. In the car was me (215lbs) and about 35lbs of luggage.

I drove between 55 and 75mph the entire trip and averaged about 65mph (almost exactly 3 hours). And the answer is: 37.5 mpg. I realize I didn't calculate manually, and can't because Enterprise filled the tank previously, but I burned a little over 1/3 of a tank according to the fuel gauge, so I feel 37mpg is pretty darn close. That included a couple WOT starts around the city here. RPMs were 2,300 at 75mph and 1,800 at 55mph. 6th is geared very high (low numerically) and 40mpg is very possible if I tried at all (and I didn't).

We'll see how the road trip home goes on Thursday. ;)
    Maybe check the tires before you come home... could be several pounds under spec to make the TPMS light go on.
  • majorbenmajorben Member Posts: 16
    Hi All,

I just had the vehicle in today for it's 1st service at just over 5K miles. I must say that the service reps were very friendly at both times - dropping the car off and picking up the car. I had asked them to do a fuel consumption test, and when I picked up the car they told me that they could not find anything wrong. All settings were correct and that the car was functioning normally. This is what I expected. And I guess the service rep didn't seem at all surprised that I have had significantly lower gas mileage than expected because they told me that 3 other customers have already come in this week with the same complaint. The rep told me the usual line about waiting until Spring to see if things change, because the car is still has low miles and that it is expected that one would normally get lower gas mileage due to the colder temps and the oxygenated (10% ethanol) gas. I told them that I expected the lower FE in the winter, but I didn't expect it to be significantly different. They also mentioned, as I told them that I knew to do these things, to 1) keep the tires inflated to the recommended pressures or slightly higher, 2) get gas a top tier gas station using the same pump all the time and stopping the pump when it clicks off, and 3) calculate the FE manually and do not rely on the car's computer readout.

Anyway, the rep asked me to give them a good rating on the survey, and that I will do, but they also mentioned that I should write in the comment section to Hyundai about my disappointment. It did seem a bit odd though that when I mentioned that I had been reading about this issue with the FE of the Elantra, and they told me that up until this week that they hadn't heard a thing. This dealer is not a new dealer, and I know last year when I was picking out my car that they were selling Elantras like hotcakes, so I wonder what is going on? They said it wasn't a mechanical issue with my car and that all codes were up to date, so could it really then be a factory issue? Could it be a programming issue with the ECM? Please do not go to the "how do you drive the car" point. I think that I have stated how I drive with many details in previous posts, so I don't want to go there again. I wish that we all knew something about what was wrong with some of these cars, and that Hyundai would own up to this. I guess time will tell, but more people have to call them or write them or complain to the dealer/service department where they got the car. I do not know how much good that will do, but the more people who complain, the better for all of us. In these days with Twitter and Facebook, social media is a big concern of companies these days. One bad word about anything about a company can go a long way. I, for one, am hoping that it does as I will be contacting Hyundai shortly.

Happy New Year, and
    Best Regards to all!!!
    my money back, or I sue them.

I'll run a few more tanks and document my issues before I start causing havoc.

I am not in the business of getting screwed as a consumer. If the dealership is worth anything they'll work with me.

24.5 mpg split driving is not right. One reason I bought this car was to save $100/month in gas. (old vehicle averaged 13)
    edited January 2012
    How many miles do you drive per year?

For example, at 12k miles per year (1k / month) and 87 octane at $3.40 (heard that's where national avg is at now), that saves you over $120 / month in gas compared to your old vehicle.
    The Elantra is my wife's car. She drove her old vehicle about 10k miles a year. I'd say realistically it averaged about 15mpg - I had not checked it in a long time. It was rated 14c/18h.

I would think the Elantra would get a few more miles per year but at 10k miles a year and 15mpg vs 25mpg and an average price of 3.40, I'm looking at a $75 monthly savings.

If the Elantra got 32mpg the savings would be an even $100 per month.

I don't want to wait to long to push this up the chain as I know people are real good at giving you the run around and playing the blame game.
    24.5 mpg split driving is not right. One reason I bought this car was to save $100/month in gas. (old vehicle averaged 13)

So in one day the FE for the old car went from 13 to 15? :confuse: At 13 mpg, you ARE saving over $100 a month. Maybe at this time of year, the old car averaged closer to 13 mpg than 15?

Also consider, if we use the higher figure for the old car (15 mpg), and your wife is driving more miles per year in the Elantra, it doesn't take many more miles @ 25 mpg to hit your magic $100 mark.

Isn't this a lot of angst over what amounts to less than a dollar a day?
    It's not about my savings. It's about I was sold something that does not, so far, live up to expectations of claims by Hyundai or the dealership - and it's not even close.

It's not like I bought a $300 TV and the picture sucks.
    Well, that was pretty dumb of Hyundai and the dealership to guarantee you at least $100 a month savings on gas when they didn't know anything about your old vehicle, your wife's commute and driving habits, future price of gas etc.
  • robrctrobrct Member Posts: 1
    I bought car Jan 6 2012
    First week 800 miles - 24.6 combined
    This week... 28.9
    Hope the trend continues!
    90 miles on this tank and computer says avg 23.8 so it's probably more like 22.

Woohoo.
    Back in Iowa tonight after 3 days and about 380 miles on an Enterprise Elantra GLS automatic rental (well broken in at 24,000 miles). Sticking to the mileage only here............

I only put about 20 chilly miles on the car in the north suburbs of Chicago. Total for the trip was 90% hwy and 10% city. The tire pressure light was on the entire trip. My guess is the pressure was down a few pounds from recommended levels.

The drive home offered a slight elevation increase, 10-15 mph headwinds, single digit temps, and the tire pressure issue. After a 37.5 mpg effort going east, the trip home was metered at 32 mpg. For the trip I averaged just under 35 mpg. Not bad at all. I filled up with 10.8 gallons of fuel just before turning her in. The car was "full" at pick-up so the trip meter was within a reasonable margin of error.

The fixation with the 40 mpg hwy rating hurts this car. Sure it COULD achieve 40 mpg at 65 mph on level roads with good fuel and a well-maintained vehicle, but the 33 mpg combined number is the realistic figure to work from. After my trip I can say that if I owned the car, I could easily hit the 33 mpg EPA combined number with my current driving style (average and 50/50 city/hwy). I also buy ethanol-free fuel here in the Dubuque, Iowa area and that helps a bit. :)

Nice car Hyundai! You've come a long way since my test drive of the last-gen Sonata in 2006.
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    edited January 2012
    We bought 2012 Sonata GLS 1 month ago with followings MPG results.
    Car gets the advertised 35 on the highway under varying conditions. 36-38 on trip computer 35-36 manual calc.
    In town MPG is all over the board (20-28) due to mix of sitting in traffic, some freeway, some 30-45 MPH when possible. Point is that the overall MPG is driven by the city driving and the type of conditions. Highway is more consistent in MPG and conditions.
    All cars use more gas idling and starting up to get the mass moving - more mass more gas. Even the smaller cars like Elantra feel the effects. EPA figures are misleading in that conditions are same for all cars tested.
    good luck - maybe we all can change our driving route to max MPG.
  • flibbidyflooflibbidyfloo Member Posts: 1
    My car is a 2012 Elantra Limited - 17" wheels with automatic transmission and NAV package.

Current Odometer Reading: around 7000

Last calculated mpg: 19.8

Average calculated mpg (both by hand and by the dash indicator): 20

Average miles driven per day: 30

# of people in the car other than the driver: 0

tow package: no

any other additional weight in the car: Just the stuff I carry to work, so maybe a couple pounds

driving trips: commuter - 90% city / 10% Hwy

air pressure in tires: Recommended, verified twice since I bought it

Fuel: Various tried with no difference, from Arco and Safeway (cheap) to Mobile, Exxon, Shell, and 76 (expensive)

A/C use: Used for a month or so after buying the car, but not since. Didn’t seem to make a difference.

ECO: Always On

Maintenance done so far: Dealer recommended per book, done by dealer

I took it in at around 3500 miles and had the dealer check it out. They said everything came up perfectly within spec.

Every time I’ve spoken to the dealer about it they tell me it needs more time to break in. When I complained at 3500 miles, they said wait until 5000. When I complained at 6000, they told me wait until 10,000. They told me to use better gas, so I switched from Arco to Shell and Exxon for a few months with no change at all. I tried buying higher octane gas and got another few miles out of that tank, but I only did it once.

I do almost all city driving, but it’s the same route 5 days of the week. There are plenty of lights along the way, but traffic isn’t heavy, so I rarely stop except at a light or a sign.
  • elantra4elantra4 Member Posts: 7
    Everything that you mentioned is similar to my driving conditions. I go 90% city 10% highway and have been getting 21-22mpg. I now have 8700 miles on the car and the city mpg has gotten worse as the mileage has increased. I can get 34 mpg on a long highway drive without using cruise. When i first got the car last June i took it to Florida from New york City and back and got as high as 41 on the gauge. This was during the run through Georgia on 95S with the cruise on and doing 70 with one passenger and a trunk full of luggage. I have not gotten close to that number since. I hope to take a long highway drive soon and will see if i can get that kind of mileage again. It seems that city driving with stopping for lights and stop signs really knocks down the mileage. You can watch the mpg gauge drop as you wait for the light to change. I have owened 2003 and 2004 Elantras and used to average about 25-26mpg with them and got about 30mpg on a long highway drive. I was really excited when i first got the 2012 as the gas mileage was so much better. If it does not improve i will notify the dealer but as i have read from other complaints the dealer always claim there is nothing wrong. I thing Hyundai has been falsely advertising the mpg.
  • arkoldguyarkoldguy Member Posts: 1
    ODO=3500. Can't seem to get any real info from dealer. ECO=ON actually produces less mpg, then when OFF. Dealer says only use when driving interstates. mpg by doing math at every tank full shows less than Avg MPG display by 2-4 mpg. Tests done on interstate, @70mph, cruise, no head/tail wind, tank to tank non-stop except for fill-up. Best I get 34-35 MPH. Non-highway 29-30 mpg. Live in rural so it is always 25+miles to everywhere.

Dealer says no break in needed, but can't explain how ECO works, never mentioned the 7% improvement when ON, says everything checks out OK. Dealer hands me instruction sheet on how to compute MPG manually (tank to tank) as if you needed a PHD to figure that out. This was after they were given a detailed spreadsheet showing every tank of gas, with ECO On and Off.

Calling Hyundai USA, asking same questions, getting multiple case #'s, and have never heard a word from them either.

Never used Forums, found this hoping someone out there can help me set actual expectations.
    Best I get 34-35 MPH. Non-highway 29-30 mpg. Live in rural so it is always 25+miles to everywhere.

I would love to get those numbers especially at 70mph.

Update on 3rd tank @ 140 miles - computer says 24.3. It was at 23.3 and then I took it on a 24 mile round trip of 90% highway. Again this is computer reading so it's probably a bit lower.
  • pflyerpflyer Member Posts: 25
    I just returned from a 1200 mile trip on I-35 in Texas. Average speed was about 75mph. Trip computer said I got 38 mpg. My gas usage (I.E. amount pumped in over 1200 miles) was slightly above 36 mpg.

I have never got less than 30 in city driving.

Let me give you my secret: USE CRUISE CONTROL AS MUCH AS YOU CAN.

I did my own little test and found, especially in city driving, cruise easily gave me 2-3 mpg extra. It's amazing, but true; at least for my car.

So... give it a try. When I leave my garage in the morning, the first button I hit, even before the radio, is the cruise enabler switch. I use it from 30mph up to highway cruising speeds.

Simply amazing difference. Gas brand makes no difference.

2011 Elantra GLS Auto with 10,000 miles.
    If you can routinely use cruise control while driving in the city, then your city is a lot different than most. City driving in bigger cities is more like block after block of stoplights. So more like stop, start, drive a block, stop, etc. Even in suburbs, more like go 4 blocks and hit stoplight. Thinking cruise control won't even engage at speeds lower than 30 mph, where most city driving occurs. Is potentially dangerous to use cruise control in traffic. It is designed for highways.
  • pflyerpflyer Member Posts: 25
    I live right in the middle of DFW.

Traffic is difficult to say the least.

I can engage my cruise at about 27 mph.

I find cruise monitors my speed better than I do, thus making me a safer driver by concentrating on the outside threats verses monitoring my speed.

If I need to disengage my cruise, I either deselect it on the steering wheel or depress the brake pedal.

What part of keeping your eyes on the road and slowing down by depressing the brake pedal is unsafe?

Not being argumentative, but if you would like to increase your mpg on an Elantra and still be a safe driver, cruise is the way to go, IMHO.

If someone feels it is unsafe to use cruise in city driving, they should not use it.
  • william621william621 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Hi all,

I have been getting 29mpg to 32 mpg consistently with mixed driving, and I've also noticed how it really drops off in the city. Within a day of taking delivery of my car, I took a hwy trip and I was able to get about 35 mpg, driving about 75 mpg on the interstate. That was my first tank, and I am easy on the car, so I was disappointed. I wasn't paying attention to the the mileage meter, and the eco mode was on. The next tank I filled up right on the interstate and immediately got back on and decided to leave the mpg meter on and try to feather it to see where the sweet spot was to max the mileage. I found that if I ran it between 65-72 mph max with eco mode on and really paid attention to feathering the gas, keeping the rpm around 2250, I was able to max out the mpg meter at 42 mpg consistently. Once I actually got it to read 43.7 mpg briefly before pulling off the interstate. The outside temp was in the 50's and driving was on I-85 in N.C., mostly flat with mild inclines across the state, so I know it can achieve the ballpark 40 mph.

That being said, I would have been pissed to be only getting low 30's with mixed driving if I hadn't done a road trip as soon as I got it! I still feel like this car should get bettter mileage around town. I had a 1991 Accord that I drove for 20+ years, and I mean drove the hell out of it, pushing it hard every single day, and it got 32 mpg with the same driving terrain, plus it was a 2.2 lt. engine. It was also a manual shift, and I would agree with another post seen here that I would get better mpg if I had gotten a manual shift. I'm going to look into using the "manual mode" shift feature (whatever you call it) on the automatic and perhaps tweek the mileage some, but I'll have to read the owners manual on proper use of that feature before doing it...just a thought.

I think when you say mixed driving you have to use time as your measurement as opposed to miles driven to have a true reflection of what real "mixed" driving constitutes. Mileage wise, I would consider my ratio 75/25 hwy/city, but time wise it would be more like 40/60 or 50/50 at best. This is where I believe a lot of folks underestimate the amount of actual city driving they do, using mileage instead of time. I looked at the forums for the Honda Civic and the Ford Focus, and reading some of the comments over there make me feel like I am still pretty well off with the Hyundai. The Honda doesn't have anywhere near the features but you'll get a few more mpg consistently, but component quailty has gone down on the Honda. I saw a number of folks on the Focus forum with crazy electronic and mechanical malfunctions, so overall I'm pretty happy with the total package of the Elantra. Everything is working fine on my car! Exterior styling and interior layout is by far the best IMHO, the breaking is very responsive, I love the sound system and I'm totally hooked on XM radio! I'm loving the heated leather seats and sunroof, as well as the ease of plug and play hand held devices. The ride is pretty quiet for a small car. I just wish the steering was a little more "crisp", as it has a ways to go to get to the level of the Honda I was driving. It took me a few days to get use to the "loose" feel of the steering, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

Also, after I worked my price with the dealer, I insisted on the dealer throwing in the "spare tire kit" at no cast to me, and the dealer hooked me up. It took two weeks for the parts dept. to get it from the warehouse. There is a place for the tire under the trunk, but no place to secure the jack, so you just have to fit it in there. I dont want to be at the mercy of roadside assistance and have to wait hours when I can change a tire and be on my way in 10 minutes, but I understand that it's cost effective for Hyundai to skip the tire.

Overall, I think I got a well balanced automobile for the price, and will live with the lower than anticipated mixed driving mileage performance.