Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Comments

• rudy66rudy66 Member Posts: 26
    The Elantra's real problem is city driving, not highway. And anyway, who wants to spend their lives worrying about mpg because of Hyudai's unreliable estimates? Whatever they say, these estimates do not relate to the real world. So maybe we should just drive our Elantra's and, when the time comes for a new car, just get another brand that doesn't broadcast unrealistic mpg. For guys like me who are not into the technicalities (which is the vast majority of drivers) we should not spend our lives trying to "get good mileage". It takes the fun out of driving.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think it can be kinda fun, like a game, to see how much FE I can get out of a car. But I see your position. If that's not fun for you, don't worry about it.

But you won't get optimal FE out of your Elantra or ANY car if you "just drive" it w/o regard to FE. I know because I've done that. I rent a lot of cars, I don't pay for the gas, often I'm rushed for time when driving the rentals so frequently I don't drive them for optimal FE. Guess what? I don't come close to the EPA numbers. I've done experiments with my own cars where I'll drive them for awhile like I don't care about FE--fast starts, quick stops, drive faster than I need to, etc. Guess what? My FE sucks. When I drive with attention to FE, I almost always meet or exceed the EPA numbers in any car. There's sometimes I don't, e.g. driving very short distances in very cold or very hot weather.

Drive as you want to drive. It's your car, your money.
    I'd like to think my small mother and big 6' 10" brother (the two passengers, who combined probably weigh about 350 lbs.) were "necessary" weight for this trip, to see my other brother.

I never said your family members weren't necessary, sheesh. But they represent weight not factored into EPA estimates. And it's a fact that the more weight in a car, the lower the FE.

I figured someone like you who is careful to document the conditions under which you achieve mpg would find that useful.

I am surprised a 5 psi reduction resulted in only 0.6% reduction in FE. I thought underinflated tires would have a bigger impact. On the Cruze at least, looks like it doesn't. Would have been interesting if they had OVER-inflated the tires by 5 psi to see the effect. I have done that before and I know others do it to achieve better FE. But if it's such a small improvement, probably not worth the tradeoff in ride quality.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I never said your family members weren't necessary, sheesh.

I think he was was making a joke.
  • eweinereweiner Member Posts: 36
    What the heck are you talking about. I gave you my speeds and I understand full well how it impacts MPG.

65 to 75 is not realistic here and in most places. Point in time FE does not matter. What you get at the pump does. Elantra does not deliver at the pump performance unless you drive 95%+ highway.

In fact, I don't think many here care to even hear from people who do 95%+ highway...as they're not typical drivers.
  • camaroman2012camaroman2012 Member Posts: 6
    Kate, I agree totally. I was averaging about 25mpg, now I'm averaging about 22mpg. I finally got the dealership to take a look at it (even though no check engine light was on) and they stated that it was missing (I believe on all four cylinders as there were four separate codes, all in series). They did a fuel test and stated that I had 15% alcohol in the tank and that this was an issue with contaminated fuel and would not be covered under warranty. Well, after doing some research, it looks like about 90-95% of all gas has 10% ethanol standard. By the way, 10% ethanol equates to about a 7-8% loss in fuel economy(FE). It's hard to find a station that sells ethanol free. No gas stations near me that sell ethanol free. The nearest is just over 100 miles. So, after a bit more research, we are already suppose to be at 15% ethanol and after talking with the gas stations themselves, they stated that they were already suppose to be selling 15% ethanol mixed fuel. I requested that they get a report so that I can verify that they indeed are at 15%, which is what the EPA is pushing for. So, we will see if Hyundai still tries to pull this bull of not honoring the warranty. Either they don't know why its missing and are incompetent and trying to make stuff up, or they do know why its missing and don't want to honor the warranty and so are being snakes in the grass, either way, they have lost my business. I'll drive two hours to the next major town to get my work done by a reputable dealership.
    edited June 2012
    These are for the 2008 Elantra, different engine, but still interesting I think in light of your post re ethanol content:

http://www.hyundaiproblems.com/investigations/Elantra/2008/

And this more general comment re ethanol-laced gas and Hyundais:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_ethanol_fuel_be_used_in_2002_Hyundai_elantra

What does your car's owner's manual say about ethanol content in the gas? Does it say 15 percent ethanol (E15) is OK? If so, you should show that page to your dealer. There's a lot of buzz on the Internet about whether E15 can be used with all newer cars, even though the EPA has given it its blessing. However, pumps that dispense E15 are supposed to be clearly labeled as such, as it is not supposed to be used on any pre-2001 vehicles.

And since YOUR car seems to have been affected adversely by E15, I wonder if that can explain at least some of the other cases where owners are dissatisfied with the FE on their Elantras?
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    I drive 95% highway. So guess what? I care. But I also know how much difference in FE 5 MPH can make, and how some people (not making any accusations or implications) like to wave off the fact that their "highway" driving might be at 80 MPH as they wonder why they're not getting the MPGs the EPA got on their 65 MPH "highway" test. It's important to keep in mind. And whether you care about "point in time" or not, a "point in time" where you do 85 MPH will reduce your average MPG.
  • gman4911gman4911 Member Posts: 43
    The Elantra owner's manual warns not to use gas containing more than 10% ethanol and states that the warranty may not cover any damage caused by using it.
    So much for E15 not harming anything built after 2001.
    That's common knowledge. The 2001 cutoff means, don't EVER EVER put E15 in a pre-2001 car. Newer cars... check with the manufacturer. E15 is so new only the newest cars will mention it in the owner's manual. If the manual says something about E10 being OK, don't assume E15 is also.
    That's common knowledge.

Common for who? From what I've read previously I thought it was OK to use the E15 in post 2001 vehicles. I think I stay up on auto industry news pretty well so I have to believe the average person doesn't have a clue.
    From what I've read previously I thought it was OK to use the E15 in post 2001 vehicles.

Just do a google on "E15 gasoline" and you'll get several hits about the controversy on whether E15 is safe for post-2001 vehicles. I just did it (again) and the first hit was pretty good:

http://www.startribune.com/local/149444025.html
  • mikewallace1mikewallace1 Member Posts: 24
    Our 2012 limited is coming up on 6,000 miles.

We avg about 26 mph overall but much of our driving is non highway.

On the rare occasion that I do take a trip I can get 36-40 on the highway. I have just resigned to the fact that 26 is tops based on how we drive our car.

I would love to avg 33 but that is just not realistic.
  • g2iowag2iowa Member Posts: 123
    Since you've been tracking the FE for your Elantra, what were your actual results for some of your most recent tankfuls of gas? Say the last 2 or 3 tankfuls?

- What was the average MPH for the tank?
    - How many miles did you drive for the tankful?
    - How many gals of gas did you pump into your tank for the tankful?
    - Are you using ethanol?
    - Do you do a lot of stop and go city driving?
    - How many drivers are there for your car and are they driving similarly?
    - Are you routinely carrying passengers while doing city driving?
    - Are you routinely using A/C while doing city driving?
    - How did your car's computer MPG estimate compare to what you came up with based on actual miles driven and actual gals used?
  • g2iowag2iowa Member Posts: 123
    September '12 issue of MT has an update on their long-term '12 Elantra. After 9 months and 19,593 miles of driving, MT has only been able to average a woeful 26.8 mpg! Compare to...at just 4 months and 6774 miles MT achieving 24.3 mpg in their '12 Passat 2.5 SEL, which is only EPA'd at 22 city/31 hwy/25 comb. (Their '11 Jetta TDI is at 39.5 mpg after 36,643 miles, with EPA est. at 30/42/34.)
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Weren't they the guys who did a test and said yes it really does meet the EPA numbers? :shades:

I"m glad I crossed the Elantra off my list...they made a mistake with the 1.8L Nu. I'm convinced the problem is low end torque: it doesn't have any, which means even a piddling 5% grade means a downshift in most cases, and that hurts FE.

To get good MPGs you have to deeply cut the cruising RPMs and keep them low. But to keep from having to upshift to do anything you have to provide sufficient twist at those low RPMs (the 1000-2500 RPM range) to overcome the gearing and any mild grades, so you can STAY at those low RPMs longer.

Mazda, Nissan, VW, and several others meet their EPA numbers because they provide enough low end torque (and then some in some cases). That Hyundai engine is absolutely torqueless at low RPMs though, so while yeah, it might get high MPGs at cruising RPMs, you can't stay in that cruising RPM range long enough to matter.

I don't think the EPA's treadmill actually simulates driving up or down slopes. Which may be an issue. MPGs are complicated: it's a combination of MPH, grade, and engine RPMs (people forget that it isn't just vehicle speed...guys, 55 MPH at 3000 RPM burns more fuel than 55 MPH at 1500 RPM!)
  • pflyerpflyer Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2012
    BP

I checked out of this discussion several months ago and said I wouldn't comment anymore, but here I am again.

You CAN get the mileage posted on the sticker without too much trouble or effort. I drive it as I have every other car I have ever owned in my 50+ years.
    If I need to step on it, I do. If I can, I use cruise.

I have NEVER gotten less than 30 mpg (based on fuel added, not readout) and I live in DFW (ac on constantly/lots of city driving).

If you "have crossed the Elantra off my list," I take it you have never been an owner, so how are you so "well versed" on the Elantra's engine?

How many miles do you have driving an Elantra?

I am an owner and have been for 15 months and 16,000 miles. I routinely exceed the city mpg and match the hwy mpg.

YMMV, but I am very happy with my mpg.

PS: Wish you the best on your car search, btw. I think you will find "haters" on any mpg car forum. Some get the mpg listed, some don't.
  • bluengoldbluengold Member Posts: 1
    I'm glad I did not cross the Elantra off my list. Bought a 2013 GLS with preferred package in June. Driving w/AC on, no Eco on, I gotten 33mpg, 32 mpg, & 34 mpg on first three fill-ups as measured by taking miles traveled and dividing by gallon used. The conditions have been a mix of rural, hwy, and city driving. My actual MPG is about 2MPG lower than the computer MPG. My colleague who has a 2012 Elantra got similar results at first, and now matches or exceeds the Govt. MPG rating.
  • camaroman2012camaroman2012 Member Posts: 6
    Just so everyone knows, I never use 15% ethanol, but according to the dealership, I had 15% ethanol in my tank. So, I just used it all up, went to another gas station(different brand to rule out contamination) and guess what? Still the same MPG. (not just once, but several fill-ups) So, I have come to a conclusion that my low MPG has nothing to do with the supposed 15% ethanol. Also, I did get a chance to fill-up with non ethanol fuel when I was out of town, but only seen a slight increase in MPG. I'm currently averaging 22mpg, vehicle computer states 24. I have noticed a trend, Hyundai falsely reports the MPG's as being 2mpg better than what you are really getting. For the average consumer, this is a great deception, as they think that they are getting better mileage than they really are. For those of us with a bit more smarts, we manually check our fuel mileage at every fill up. I am gas mileage conscious and try my best to coast, slow acceleration, avoid stop and go situations as much as possible, yet I still get an average 22mpg. I can get over 30 when its nothing but highway, but realistically that is not the majority of my driving. So, Hyundai seems to be a hit and miss as far as MPG goes. Some get great, some don't. Maybe it does have something to do with the fuel pump issue like the earlier model Elantra was having. Sounds very similar. But, they have to be aware of the issue, yet turn a blind eye to help the consumer. Plus, they try to deceive us by having the on board computer fudge the numbers (in their favor) by 2 mpg. Sounds like a shady company to me. At this point, they have done nothing to help me out with my low MPG, other than to blame it on bad fuel. Next time I should have it tested the same day by another company and then get them for false reporting. All they did was create a situation where they didn't have to help me and pushed me out the door once again.
    What does the computer say is your avg MPH? You've been asked for that information in previous posts but we haven't seen your response.
  • crankeeecrankeee Member Posts: 298
    edited July 2012
    We had a poster on the Lacrosse site that bashed the Buick/GM cars and posted some far out claims and gripes. He actually claimed to have "made GM take back two cars", with his claims of design and production errors - not his own driving habits and nit picking.
    Our Lacrosse gets fantastic MPG (29 highway) for a 4000# car that is great on the road and not perfect but pretty close and the computer is always higher than manual calcs. We bought a 2012 Sonata and same overstatement of computer MPG. The Sonata gets 33MPG at 75+ on the highway with A/C and two adults on two 1500 mile trips. Outstanding car in all respects and the warranty is the best there is.
    Conclusion: Todays car buyers have great choices and given a fair chance, receive good value for what they buy - FYI - Buick was designed in Germany by Opel and built in Kansas City and Sonata was made in Montgomery. Alabama
  • thisisbenjithisisbenji Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    Not necessarily. My Civic runs at between 3,000 and 4,000 RPM on the highway in 5th gear. In the four years I'v owned it (it's a 1995 EX Coupe 1.6L) I'v never had a tank of gas lower than 34 MPG. When my trips involve 90% highway I get over 40 easily doing the speed limit and about 36-38 doing 10-15 over the limit.

Not to mention my car only put out 106 ft/lbs of tq at 5,200 RPM and that was when it was new in 1995, now that I'm close to 200,000 miles it's probably lower.

By everything you say, I should be getting awful mileage, but I'm not.
  • aptmanaptman Member Posts: 4
    Its absurd that some posters call others that post real world numbers haters...I will state one more time, this is my 3rd Hyundai in a row, I love the car, it looks great, drives good, I WOULD BUY IT AGAIN...BUT...the gas mileage is no where close to what hyundai states...I may average 25-26 (the computer says 2 mpg better but it is not accurate), I do not drive the best I admit, however...on the highway driving 70 I have never done better than 31 mpg, the computer says 33 but do the math...that is also with 2 passengers and a spare tire...my 2010 elantra got better gas mileage than my 2012....
  • elantra4elantra4 Member Posts: 7
    With 16K miles on my2012 i would agree with aptman. This is also my 3rd Elantra and i also love the car except for the poor suspension. I just did a 280 mile round trip ,average speed 70 and a full trunk of luggage and one passenger and got 36.5mpg. This car does not get what was advertised but i am totally ok with the all highway mpg. City driving is no where near 29mpg but i don't think there is any car except the hybrids that can get good city mpg. Over all after 1 year of driving i would rate it a B plus. If the suspension was better not rocking when going over road imperfections i would give it an A-. I still think its one of the cool est looking cars in its price range and would probably buy another.
  • hoopitup2000hoopitup2000 Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2012
    . . . . but i don't think there is any car except the hybrids that can get good city mpg.

Not true. There are non hybrid cars out there that are capable of outstanding city mileage, but only with a manual transmission. I average 40 in the summer months with my 05 Corolla. Driving is about a 50/50 mix, but not much of a city MPG penalty with proper driving techniques & light AC use. Pure highway driving only yields low 40's.

Original 2005 Corolla EPA estimates
    32 City/41 Hwy

2008 Revised EPA estimates
    27 City/35 Hwy

The original estimates were more accurate, Just more proof that the government can't do much of anything right!!
  • sandiegolindasandiegolinda Member Posts: 2
    It's hard for me to believe you're getting that kind of milage. My 2011 has 13,000 miles and has averaged 24 MPG since it was new. I did put Michelin tires and alloy wheels on the car when it was purchased. That should have INCREASED the MPG not decreased it. I can only drive 250 miles before I need to stop for gas. My '96 Camry has averaged 21.5 MPG for the past 14 years. So, I don't know what the problem is w/ my Elantra. I purchased it for the "great" MPG. I drive with the ECO light on. I'm a 67 year old lady so not a "hot rodder." Jack rabbit starts are not my style and I drive the speed limit.
    edited September 2012
    Please post the avg MPH (not MPG) as reported by your car's computer.

Is the 24 MPG reported by the computer or manually calculated?
  • stevens5882stevens5882 Member Posts: 5
    More information here;

http://hyundaimpginfo.com/

I won't have a chance to call them right away but did some simple calculations and figure I should get about $60.

Some articles are saying this is being refreshed every year, can anybody verify this?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you are a Hyundai or Kia owner and have a reaction to the company’s announcement today re: EPA fuel economy ratings, please email PR@edmunds.com today to talk with a reporter.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

How incredibly stupid.

This will cost Hyundai/Kia billions... in lost sales. Krafcik will lose his job over this... or should.

If it were Toyota or Honda, people would forget about it in a year or so. But Hyundai/Kia doesn't have that kind of loyalty.

Great opportunity for Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, and all the rest to pick up share from Hyundai/Kia.
  • rob_hyundairob_hyundai Member Posts: 5
    stevens5882, there will be a calculator up on the website this weekend: www.HyundaiMPGInfo.com.

Please check out this page for reimbursement details:
    http://hyundaimpginfo.com/resources/details/hyundai-reimbursement-program-facts

"Current owners are advised to make one claim every calendar year, though they will be permitted to make more than one per year. They may also submit a second claim in a calendar year upon the sale of their subject vehicle. Former owners may make one claim (per vehicle)."

It's really at your convenience. Some owners may want to make a claim monthly.
  • cleanmpgcleanmpg Member Posts: 1
    Hi All:

While some complain, in my experience the vehicles that are falling the furthest behind their respective EPA ratings today include both the all-new 2013 Ford C-MAX hybrid and the 2013 Dodge Dart with the 1.4L engine. The Sonata, Elantra, and Accent can and do eat their EPA in far easier manner than those two in particular.

Having driven maybe 75 different fuel efficient vehicles within any number of segments this year alone all the while keeping very close tabs on the fuel economy including odometer offsets, aFCD offsets, temperature and wind compensations, and even elevation deltas, the 2013 Elantra GT in particular is one of the better offerings within the C-segment when it comes to ease of achieving yesterdays EPA let alone todays.

Not sure if Edmunds allows links as I just discovered this thread in a Google search?

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43477

I and a member of my team performed a head to head between a 2012 Elantra GLS with Auto and a 2012 Cruze Eco with Auto between San Diego, Death Valley, Las Vegas and back to San Diego. Nose to tail with drivers swapping cars and cars swapping positions every 50 or so miles showed the Elantra GLS achieving a higher percentage above its EPA than the Cruze ECO did.

I recently drove a 13 Elantra GT across the southwest to a fuel economy level that would scare the average Edmunds reader and I can only think of three vehicles that could best it out on the open road. The Passat TDI is one and that is the premiere Turbo Diesel in all of North America!

When I drive the vehicles available to me from the B, C and D-segment universe, the Elantra lineup always finishes ahead of the Focus, Cruze, Dart, Corolla, Jetta (even the diesel). Where it swaps positions (as in finishing 1, 2 or 3) is with the various 12 Civics (we all know about the poor interior in those :() and the Mazda3 with SKYACTIV. It sometimes finishes on top and sometimes in second or third depending on the topography and conditions but is always amongst the top three with the rest of the class falling far behind.

As for my experience and what do I do for a living? Test and review high fuel economy vehicles. Here is just a small sampling of the vehicles I have driven for tens to hundreds of miles in the past 14 days alone: The 2013 Sentra including 3 different trims, a stick and a number of CVTs, the 2013 Avalon Hybrid, the 2013 Jetta Hybrid of two different trims and I have a GS 450h that arrived in the drive yesterday afternoon.

While this may not have relevance to some, when it comes to fuel efficiency, the Elantra is at the top of a very short list of C-segment vehicles. If you are comparing EPA and MSRPs, the Elantra will always come out on top as well.

A restatement of an EPA rating is going to harm a company’s reputation but when you drive a Hyundai/Kia product and go drive a competitor at a similar price point, you will feel first hand where the value lies and the EPA is simply a number to be bested every time you turn the key.

Good Luck with whatever you currently own and drive.

Wayne Gerdes – Owner/Admin of CleanMPG.com
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Only $60? You must not have very many miles on the car. Some models are droppng 4mpg (sticker versus actual mileage). That's up to 10%.

Some owners will be entitled to hundreds of dollars if they are high mileage drivers. And that's on mileage already covered. If they still own the car it will continue to pile up.
    edited November 2012
    Although this discussion is for MY 2012... was the Elantra GT you drove a manual or automatic? I have the GT with 6MT on my short list for my next car.

I've not had any problems meeting or exceeding EPA ratings on Elantras of any model year... even the uplifted ratings on current cars. But it's incomprehensible for a company like Hyundai, trying to build market share in a tough field, to make a mistake like this... assuming it was a mistake, as claimed.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    Great opportunity for Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, and all the rest to pick up share from Hyundai/Kia.

I agree that this is totally stupid, and I do not think this can be chalked up to accidental "human error". Sorry, I just don't buy it. I could understand if it were one car, but with several?

Employed by a competitor to the Elantra, I do know that we are ready to pounce when given the opportunity.

I do feel terrible for those who have expressed displeasure with the fuel economy of these Hyundai/Kia vehicles and now their observations have been confirmed by the company. It's just not right.

On the bright side, the Elantra is still rated pretty well at 38mpg highway, which still makes it competitive. But, I think the PR damage is pretty severe and will take a while to bounce back from.
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    edited November 2012
    You are not the first to run a "real world" highway mpg test on the new Hyundai Elantra, other highway test have shown the Elantra beats the posted number 40 mpg as well...BTW, thanks for the effort and attention to details that you put into your story.

"Elantra - 40mpg highway rating, 45.613mpg actual, 114.0% of EPA"

I don't think Hyundai should have caved to all the political pressure and done the same kind of tests you did and then stood their ground with the posted results.

Big FAIL on Hyundai's PR dept...they should have set up numerous tests like yours and then beat back the Haters with numbers actually HIGHER than the sticker. .this "refund the difference" idea is pure stupidity!

Highway mpgs are elusive numbers to check but the route you took could easily be repeated by anyone with any brand of car to see if their mpg would meet or beat the sticker numbers, my feeling is 90% would see their pure highway mpg's a lot better than they thought.
    i.e. in my VW Jetta TDI, when you re-set the "Avg." fuel economy to zero while highway driving with cruise on, the numbers pop 5 to 10 mpg more.

I doubt that many Elantra owners have actually filled their car at a roadside station, gently pulled out on the freeway and driven for 5 or 600 miles, 8 hours, on a 'posted speed limit' cross country trip,rolled back into another roadside station and re-filled, divided the miles driven by the gallons used and then had a real "highway" mpg number.
    No driving into town for lunch, no pulling off the road for antique store browsing, no parking at burger joints with the motor running..you know, all the little things people forgot they were doing on their "poor highway mpg" rants.

Everyone who has ever had a mpg dash readout in their car should know by now they are rarely ever spot on. My VW Jetta speedometer reads 5 mph faster than I am actually driving so my mpg readout is always off as well.
    My Garman GPS mph calculation is spot on tho, with the ever changing posted speed limit readout in another corner of the display.
    (Just to be sure I have a Valentine 1 radar detector on as well..I hate surprises)
    If you have ever driven cross country through all the Texas speed traps, a good radar detector will pay for itself on the first trip.

To sum up, Hyundai has NOT posted false highway mpg's...and I am really disapointed they didn't make public real world, the pure highway mpg numbers that car will do....under pure highway driving...not commuting through rush hour, running errands, they driving back home and calling that "highway driving"
    edited November 2012
    There are highway tests and then there are highway tests.Straight, steady speed hwy tests are not equivalent to the EPA tests. You can run all the "private" tests you want but unless they exactly duplicate the same regimen the EPA tests are run on they are irrelevant. The EPA tests are for comparison purposes and don't equate to anyone's particular "real world". I think that is a point that many people miss. The tests that manufactures have to use for posting and comparison purposes are the EPA tests, not your's, mine, some blogger's or a car mag. If they cheat(or somehow error) on those and get caught they suffer the bad PR and fines that Hyundai/Kia is now experiencing. That is why most manufactures are so darn careful with those tests.
    I have been posting here since the beginning of the year that the Hyundai MPG estimates are simply wrong.

I have a 2012 elantra limited and I have only gotten as much as 39 miles to the gallon by driving for an extended period of time at an excessive highway speed of 65 mpg.

For the rest of my driving my MPG has only been 24. Not even 29 miles per gallon that Hyundai says I should get with city driving.

I feel completely ripped off by Hyundai having bought a car that I expected to get routine high mileage only to find out that it is an average car that only gets average mileage.

The compensation offered by Hyundai is quite frankly too low. It does not compensate me for any future miles post their announcement of having been wrong. This seems to me to be unfair as I still own the car and will continue to drive the car yet I will not get the mileage promised me and the mileage that drove my purchase decision.

I have driven my elantra for just about one year and I have kept track of every single tank that I have purchased. I can assure you that I have not come close to an average of even the low in number from Hyundai of 29 mpg city.

Hyundai owes me quite a bit more than the paltry amount of money they are offering to compensate me for their mistake their life. :mad:
    edited November 2012
    If you actually read the extensive "cleanmpg" test story earlier on in this thread you would know that what they did was a real "Highway" mpg test.

They ran a Chevy Cruze and a Hyundai Elantra through a day long highway trip on the west coast, with lots of curves, bends, dips, traffic, hills and heat.

Both cars got BETTER mpg's than the window sticker. However the Hyundai got even better mpg's than the Cruze.
    edited November 2012
    If you actually read my post you would know that I didn't say it wasn't a REAL highway test. Anybody can get on a highway and give a car a "real highway test". I said it was not the actual hwy test criteria that the EPA uses. The EPA uses a very strict regimen which just going from point A to point B on a highway does not replicate even if it is hilly, curvy or hot out. I'm not saying the EPA test is anybody's "real world", I'm just saying that any hwy test that does not EXACTLY replicate the EPA criteria cannot be deemed the same.

And the fact that both cars got better than the window sticker means absolutely nothing because it wasn't the same exact test the EPA uses. If you run different tests, you may get different results....how shocking.
    First, the EPA fuel economy estimates for the Elantra have now been confirmed by the EPA itself to be 28/38/32. Very close to Hyundai's original numbers. And you've been able to exceed the highway number in your driving.

Second, the EPA (and Hyundai's statements re fuel economy) are clear that "YMMV". So while the EPA overall estimate is 32 mpg, not everyone will be able to hit that number. Some will exceed it. You appear to be in the former category, based on your driving patterns.

Third, re compensation... you are being compensated for miles already driven, and miles you will drive as long as you own the car, plus 15 percent for your inconvenience. How is that unfair? What do you expect?

If the Elantra's EPA rating had been 28/38/32 mpg at the time of your purchase, would you have still purchased the car?

Since those numbers have now been validated by the EPA, it appears your issue now is more with the EPA and how they test cars, than with Hyundai.
    OK I went back and re-read your post and you are right, you didn't say "real" what you said was...there are highway tests and there are highway tests...thanks for clearing that up.

if anyone cares to follow up on a "real highway test" please read the whole story here..

Haven't checked back in a while, but I have a 2011 Elantra GLS Automatic.

I am getting incredible mileage. Last two tanks were almost 34 mpg with an average speed both times of 31 mph.

As my car has "loosened" up (I have 19000 miles), the mileage has steadily improved.

I am the "cruise control" person, so YMMV.

The mpg calculator in the dash is about 2 mpg optimistic, but still...

I am sorry for those who are not getting near to what is on the Mulronney.

Now I find out Hyundai will pay me to fill up. Life is good. That should make my "effective" mpg even higher, with the free gas from the factory.

Except for hail damage (I live in DFW) which was not the car's fault, this has been a bullet-proof, well made and efficient car, one of the best I have ever owned.
    Oh, that (almost) 34mpg was my own calculations from miles driven/gallons added.

The dash display was over 36 mpg.
    The EPA numbers are still wrong and do not accurately reflect real world driving with a Hyundai Elantra.

Second, there is a difference between your mileage may vary and your mileage will never be as stated.

From experience, I have learned that in order to get any kind of decent mileage out of the Hyundai you have to drive in excess of 55 mph consistently on a flat road and for a long duration of time.

This is not reasonable driving for the average consumer in America. Most commutes are not long highway drives.

As for compensation it remains to be seen what Hyundai will actually pay out. From previous posts it does not appear to be very much money at all and does not appear to compensate for any mileage past their announcement date i.e. future miles.
    Wow. 2 tanks thats a huge data set.

My comments are based upon 39 tanks and 12k miles.

Why should anyone have to wait for 19,000 miles to appear on their car before the MPG is as stated.
    The EPA numbers are still wrong and do not accurately reflect real world driving with a Hyundai Elantra.

You need to take up the wrong-ness of the EPA numbers and how they are calculated with the EPA. Hyundai has nothing to do with that.

You were able to exceed the EPA highway number for the Elantra @ 65 mph. That is real world highway driving for many people--if not for you.

As for your overall mpg, it all depends on how your overall driving compares to how the EPA calculates its estimates. It looks like your driving patterns don't match well to the EPA tests. Again, something to take up with the EPA, not Hyundai.

Here's the Hyundai web site that goes into detail on the reimbursement program for owners and former owners of Elantras etc.; note that future miles are in fact covered (as are past miles--even if someone already sold their car):

https://hyundaimpginfo.com/
    You are right, the 2012 Hyundai Elantra will do great mpg's long before 19,000 miles. The Elantra Rental with a/t used in this mileage test story had less than 5,000 miles and averaged over 45 mpg on an 800+ highway road trip.