Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    WHEW, love all the newbies in here now!!
    You guys keep asking the questions, We dont mind aswering them..
    And TOM, you know you our "door greater" in here. Ohh wait, are you still our President?
    Thats great news that we may be able to post our pics staight on here.
    be good to me too, im still on dail-up too.
    I would like to know what kind of service I need to give TAZZ now.
    I just replaced my front brakes last month. When I got my oil changed he checked all belts & hoses told me everything looked good. He is a customer of mine so I trust him with this info.
    Mac/Tom any info?

Keep Jeepin
    Bama :shades:
  • rankinhubrankinhub Member Posts: 19
    As with the Tomb Raider Wrangler, Jeep has introduced an "embedded content" movie / special edition Wrangler Unlimited Sahara built on the Rubicon platform -- 1,000 copies only. These are very similar -- but not identical -- to the Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon model outfitted with the Sahara package.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    OK, Mr. Lucky...what was close enough for you to attach the winch cable? Or did you attach it to Ross? Let us know all this story so I'll know how to get out of quicksand in Utah when there are no trees or rocks or humans to help!

Keith:

I had my choice of a couple of trees, fortunately. In these strip mines, they leave some of the ground untouched, because they follow the coal seam. The untouched ground and the mined acreage are intermingled throughout the whole mine area. Also, even some of the mined and reclaimed land has trees big enough to anchor a winch.

I have heard that you can bury your spare tire halfway in the ground and use it to anchor a winch, if there are no trees.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Long story short, we can still post good size pics at small file sizes.
    This way we don't kill the dial up folks.

-Dan

Exactly right, Dan. The high resolution is needed only for printing.

On a computer screen, beyond a certain point, the resolution of the monitor becomes the limiting factor, not the resolution of the pic. For most folks, a 640 x 480 image would look as good on their screen at 80 KB or so vs. 500 KB or even higher.

Tomster

Bama:

Your Jeep is four years old now?

Ask Mac for his opinion, but it might not be a bad idea to change gear oil in your differentials and change the fluids in your tranny and t-case. If you were an off roader, I would say you are WAY overdue on that, but since you don't off road, I'm not sure it is even necessary now. Mac???

What about your coolant? You don't really believe the claim that the factory coolant is good for 100K miles do you? I changed mine after a couple years to the normal anti-freeze, the green stuff. Think it was Prestone.

If you have never changed coolant, be sure to do that, and get a good flush. I would have them just put normal antifreeze in it and plan on changing it every two years. That long life stuff is a bunch of crap, in my opinion.

Tom

Welcome, Tuck. No help for ya here, just saying Hi and Welcome.

Mac will probably have some suggestions for ya, so stick around.

Tom

• tuckbuskirktuckbuskirk Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the welcome...hate to open up with a problem, but this particular problem is really starting to tick me off. Sometimes I have to let it sit with the key in the on position for like 10-15 minutes before the stupid relay starts kicking....it's weird.
  • cap1374cap1374 Member Posts: 1
    hi there! i have a 2005 jeep wrangler X (which i am madly in love with) with the basic four speaker stereo/cd player. i am looking to keep the factory deck and install a subwoofer just to give me a little bit of base...not enough to shake windows but enought to listen to my favorite cd's and hear a bit of bass. any suggestions? i have heard the one from jeep that goes in the console is poor quality sound so i am just looking for some tips! thanks! ;)
    Cap:

The factory sub makes the radio bearable. I can't believe how totally absent any bass is without the sub. At least on the 01's it was like that. I'm not terribly demanding on my sound system, and the factory sub is fine for my purposes.

Crutchfield used to carry a sub that would go in the console of a Jeep. Not sure if they still do or not. We have some folks in here who are much more into stereos than I am, and I'm sure you'll get some answers from them.

Tom

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    You can go aftermarket if you want. I have an aftermarket Tuffy security console that is much stouter than the factory. It has an 8" Kicker sub in it. Sounds great (granted I do have other aftermarket stuff in there).

As for winch anchor points, you can make some kind of 'land anchor' like a bruce anchor for you sailors out there that will plow into the earth when pulled and give you a point to anchor with (pun intended).

I can't add much to the discussion about trim levels, but I have an SE (4cyl). I like it for the driving I do, just wish it had more on the highway. I'd love to have a Rubi with all the stock stuff it has, but there is no way I'd be comfortable wheeling a brand new Rubi and the $$ I spent to wheel it. My SE is a 97 so I don't mind it getting banged up a bit. Have you considered a slightly used Rubicon? Lots of em available and few if any see offroad action.

The current Unlimited Sahara is indeed based on the movie, not the trim level, but most of the stuff in it is pretty nice (chrome grille hasta go).

For manual vs. auto, the auto is easier to work offroad, but with a hand throttle for the manuals, it becomes a lot easier - your right hand basically becomes your gas foot and your right foot can work the brakes if needed.

For the 405, try driving south before hitting the 101... feel like you are riding a horse... up /down/up/down especially in the HOV lane!

My 97 SE does not have the sentry key available, but an aftermarket alarm with kill switch for the ignition system would help. I'm considering one, not so much for the alarm portion, but for the kill switch. I've seen writeups on doing this myself, but I don't know how comfortable I am doing something like this myself.

-Paul
  • jeepwannabejeepwannabe Member Posts: 4
    HI EVERYONE...THIS IS MY FIRST POSTING...I AM CONSIDERING BUYING A 1989 WRANGLER 6 CYL AUTOMATIC FOM A PRIVATE PARTY...THIS WILL BE A FIRST JEEP FOR ME...IT'S IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE, BUT THE OWNER SAYS IT WILL NEED ENGINE BEARINGS OR MAYBE A NEW ENGINE, AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT WOUYDL COST OR HOW I WOULS GO ABOTU EVEN FINDING SOMEONE TO DO THE WORK...THE OWNER IS ASKING $1,000...THE REST OF THE JEEP IS IN GOOD SHAPE...COSMETICALLY...ALSO HAS NEW BRAKES AND A RUBICON SUSPENSION...PLEASE HELP...THANKS!
  • brnlowbrnlow Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying an 02 Jeep; so far everything has checked out nicely about it however my wife noticed something about the soft top. The top was up and looked fine however upon closer inspection the zippers on both sides of the top were "off track". By off track I mean if you were to zip close 1/2 way and then reopen the zipper track behind it. I am of the mind set that you should be able to work the zipper back to the beginning and start over; however she is worried that it might mean buying a new top. Any advice, I hope I was able to state the situation clear enough.

Thanks,
    Bill
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Greetings Tom. Arrived safely home from Toronto.Great trip in Rosie. My wife may disagree but she drives a Toyota. Quick question per the dreaded 3.07 gearing. I am stuck with it which is no problem with smaller tires. I am still shopping around for larger tires but I am hesitating because I don't want to lose any acceleration by moving to a larger size. What do you (or anyone) think the largest size I could move up to with NO loss in acceleration. Presently still have the GSA's. Two of your favorites-the GSA's and the 3.07. But thats my reality. Perhaps you can find a childs raincoat for Ross Allen it you encounter another hard rain-and goggles:) Go Easy , John
  • usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Member Posts: 24
    Still no delivery.

No word from the dealer. I figure this week will be it.

Semper Fi,

Mike
  • usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Member Posts: 24
    I must be getting it this week....

I just checked the weather forecast for the week......rain from Wed. to Sun.

:-)

Semper Fi,

Mike
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Hi, welcome.................AND COULD YOU STOP SHOUTING PLEASE! Also, if you don't get an immediate reply, please be patient.

As to your question, an engine replacement (if it actually needs it) is everyday work for most independant auto repair shops. Ask the seller if he can take it for some estimates, or have someone come out to inspect the vehicle for you.
    ".....What do you (or anyone) think the largest size I could move up to with NO loss in acceleration....."

Any increase in size will reduce your acceleration, and the larger the increase in size the greater the reduction in acceleration. It's simply mathmatics (and physics)!
    Are you talking about the rear side windows? If so, why not just unzip then remove and replace them?
    "...I would like to know what kind of service I need to give TAZZ now..."

What's the mileage and which service schedule have you been following, A or B? Is the servicing up to date, or have you skipped some? Which transmission, auto or stick?
    Hi, John. Glad you made it safely home.

Any increase in tire size will result in some loss of acceleration. Just simple physics. Increasing the tire size without changing anything else has the net effect of going to an even higher gear ratio (lower numerically).

I know of some folks who run all the way up to 33" tires with 3.07 gearing. They just live with it. They are really at a disadvantage in off roading, since they don't have the nice slow crawl speed and don't have anywhere near the amount of engine braking they need for extremely steep descents. On the highway, though, they seem to have learned to live with the virtual loss of fifth gear.

Don't remember if you have the auto or a manual tranny. I think you would effectively lose fourth gear in the auto or fifth gear with the manual, if you went all the way to 33's. You would need a good size lift to run 33's anyway, and I'm thinking you would not want to do that.

Your Jeep in stock condition will accommodate 31" tires. What size tires do you have now? The RPM at a given speed will be reduced by the same percentage as the increase in tire diameter. If you run a 28" tire right now and replace them with 31" tires, then you will have increased your tire diameter by slightly more than 10%. If you currently run 2200 RPM at 65 MPH, then you would run around 1980 RPM at that same speed with the 31" tires. The question would be how much power your engine will make at 1980 RPM vs. 2200 RPM. Undoubtedly, it will be making less power, but will it still be enough? It would be up to you to decide if it was something you could live with or not.

If you are already at 30" on tire diameter, then it should not be a big deal to go to 31" tires. You would probably still notice it a little, but it would not be a huge thing.

Tomster

The only thing left is the key switch, the wiring, and its connections.

The switch is easiest to check, just bypass it. The wiring and connections need to be physically examined and then checked for high resistance with a multimeter. Check the appropriate grounds as well.

If that makes sense to you, have at it. If not, go see an auto electrician.
    I'm always happy wheeling alone if the winch is working (Mr. Hydro MM in the Jeep!).
  • ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    Hi Tom, et al.

Thanks for the thoughts. I live in Northern VA, but have a house in the mountains of western NC. I don't expect to do any type of off roading that I have seen in the rock areas out west, but do intend to get off the road in the mountains.

My interest in the Rubicon is the true 4wd vs. limited slip 4wd. Can you possibly enlighten me on the major difference and where would the Rubicon be more advantageous vs. the Sport? By the way, I would probably look at a used Rubi as dropping $24m - 26m for off roading might be more toy than I might be allowed to get (per the other half of the equation) Thanks!
    It's not a question of leakage, rather of expansion. Do these cans have breathers? If so they should be safe enough on the back. However, they're still very tempting. Padlocks just keep honest people honest. Can't you carry your cans off the trail and hide or bury them until you return?
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I'm no audiophile, but i went with the factory seven speaker/subwoofer package. Believe me it was a step up from previous stereos I've had in cars (My Monte Carlo's AM radio was often interrupted by the horn playing through the speakers). My thinking was just how good can the acoustics get with the top down and wind noise? But that was just me.

-Mike
    Sorry about that. I'm just used to writing in caps, so now I know it's not a good thing to do...The seller said that he found a used one for $400, but that of course, doesn't include the labor, which I imagine will be most of the cost...am I looking at $2,000 or more? Thanks...
    Wannabe:

I think you need to consider how much work you are qualified to do on your Jeep and how much work you are willing to do on your Jeep, before you buy a "fixer upper." You may spend a lot of money to get a new engine, only to find that the tranny needs replacing, or the transfer case may need to be replaced, or etc., etc.

If you have to pay someone to do this kind of work, then your money would probably be better spent on getting a newer Jeep to begin with. If you can do your own mechanic work, then maybe this would be a good purchase for you.

Tom

• karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    Does anyone know here what the last date would be to custom order a 2005 Jeep? I am still awaiting to see my employment fate in the next week or so before I can even consider ordering one. I know I could call the dealer, but I try to avoid that as much as possible, so if someone knew on here that would be great.

Thanks.
    Thanks for the thoughts. I live in Northern VA, but have a house in the mountains of western NC. I don't expect to do any type of off roading that I have seen in the rock areas out west, but do intend to get off the road in the mountains.

Chuck:

Mountains of western NC??? Yeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TELLICO! The wheelin' Mecca east of the Mississippi!

Chuck, the Rubicon may be just what ya need. I don't think it would be overkill at all, if you plan on doing Tellico or similar trails.

With the Rubicon you would get a 4:1 gear ratio for four wheel drive low range. Other Wranglers have a 2.72:1 low range gear ratio. The 4:1 gives you the ability to crawl REAL slowly without having to feather the clutch and wear it out. Sometimes, in really tricky places, you need to really creep along at a snails pace.
    Also, in going down extremely steep sections of trail, you want to maximize your engine braking, and the 4:1 gives you much better engine braking.

The Rubicon gives you a Dana 44 axle front and back. You can get the Dana 44 as an option for the rear axle on a Sport, but only the Dana 30 is available on a Sport for a front axle.

The Rubicon gives you selectable lockers front and back. Selectable lockers are nice, since they can be turned off on the pavement and turned on for wheelin'. Selectable lockers can be added to a Sport as after market mods, but they are VERY expensive. Full time or "automatic" lockers are cheaper, but they have some undesirable side effects on the pavement.

The Rubicon comes standard with 4.11 gearing and 31" MT/R tires. If you get the Sport, by ALL MEANS, get the AAS package, which will get you 30" tires, 3.73 gears, and the Dana 44 rear axle.

I will try to find one of my old posts about lockers to explain the difference between a limited slip and a full locker.

Tom

• lynseylynsey Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I am having some trouble with the zippers on my soft top windows. It is very hard to zip and unzip. Is there something that can be put on the zippers to make them work easier? The nice weather is on its way and I don't want to miss it.

Lynsey
    Chuck:

See post #15626 for a little explanation of lockers.

Thanks, Mac, for your post #15627 where you put some key words in the title to make my post easier to find.

Tom

• ocean_shipperocean_shipper Member Posts: 70
    Tom and Mac,

That was a great explanation of limited slip vs. lockers. In reading this, it appears that the Rubi is the way for me to go, unless I intend to spend the extra money to do the same thing in the aftermarket on the Sport or X.

So... If I understand correctly, the Rubi in 4wd will be limited slip UNLESS you engage the lockers. Is this correct? That would indicate in sand or show, it would work like the Sport (ie: limited slip) but in 4wd-lo, the lockers would be engaged???

BTW - Our place in just outside of Hendersonville; the backside of Chimney Rock!

Thanks!

Chuck
    Thanks for the advice, Tom...I am not qualified to do the work, so that pretty much takes care of the "willing" part...I'm trying to see if I can get a handle on just what it will need right away, then decide whether to grab it for a cheap price or move on to something else.

Jim
    Chuck:

You don't automatically even get limited slip with the Sport. It is an option, and it is called "Trac Loc." The front end is an open differential with no option for any kind of traction device on the Sport. The rear axle that is standard on a Sport is the Dana 35, and you have to order the Dana 44 as an option. The best way to get the Dana 44 in the rear is to get the AAS package, which gets you the 30" tires, gas shocks, the really good looking Ravine wheels, 3.73 gears, and the Dana 44. You would STILL have to order Trac Loc as a separate option, if you want limited slip. The standard axle is open (no limited slip/no locker) on a Sport.

As far as adding the features necessary to make a Sport equal to a Rubicon, it would take three or four times the difference in the cost between the two in order to do it. At least that much. The Rubicon is a SUPER BARGAIN.

On a Rubicon, the rear axle is limited slip until the locker is turned on, and then it becomes a fully locked differential.

Getcha one!

Tom

Jim:

You are most welcome.

If there is any way for you to spend around $7K, you could get yourself a TJ (1997 or up). TJ's have coil springs all the way around instead of leaf springs. This makes them much more capable in stock condition for off roading compared to a stock YJ or a stock CJ. Also, you get a much better ride with the coil springs. So, even if you don't plan to offroad, there is an advantage to the TJ.

Tom

Just called my salesman from four years ago when I bought Thelma Jane, and he says no cut off date has been announced yet for Wranglers.

He says you'd better be getting your order in before long, though. He said normally it would be May 15th or around that time for cut off. It depends to a large extent, I guess, as to how many orders they have. As soon as they have enough orders to get them to their summer shutdown, that's it.

Tom

• iconoclasticonoclast Member Posts: 67
    I understand the expansion in the sun...these are tightly sealed cans with no breathers which are being sold and used by 4X4 shops and are used by the military on their Jeeps and other vehicles. (Can't imagine the military taking these things off all the time in the sun) I guess the questions would be how much will the gas expand if the cans are only filled to about 90% capacity and what is the danger except when trying to open one with all that pressure...could certainly let them cool down via driving. Hiding them and burying them is an option always. I just keep getting the answer at shops "never had that question, just leave them on in the sun" and I know gas expands greatly in high temperatures like 105 in Utah.
  • 05rubisahara05rubisahara Member Posts: 25
    I suppose you can call me a newbie also. I have owned and enjoyed my 2000 Wrangler Sport for 5 years and have been intrigued with the improved ride quality and storage space on the Unlimiteds. Got the "itch" about 2 months ago but simply could not find an Unlimited with the right equipment and color anywhere up down the East coast. I searched probably 200 dealer's inventory through Jeep.com to no avail. I wanted a lt. khaki or white Unlimited with auto trans (so my wife would also enjoy driving), hardtop, cruise, 7 speaker upgrade and security group. Just about every Jeep found was missing one of these deal breakers.

Finally found 2 possible candidates on the web on Friday in Chantilly, VA (1 white Unlimited with right equipment and a Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition) on Fair Oaks Chrysler-Jeep's website. Loaded up the wife and away we went early Saturday morning for the 350 mile round trip. Upon arrival, the white Unlimited was gone already and sitting at the front door was the khaki Unlimitied Rubicon Sahara. Looks exactly like the one on Jeeps website. It was love at first site but @$32,600 MSRP it was a hard swallow. Oh well, got the keys, opened the door for the new vehicle smell, and others started gathering around. Took out for the test drive. I was impressed with the machine....really impressed. It was equipped right, color right and looks just like the one on Jeeps website.

Salesman was not pushy and asked how I liked it. I basically told him that if they could make the numbers work, they could mark it sold. I knew better than cloud the waters with a trade. You just aren't going to get your best deal when a trade is involved. Bottom line is they sold the Rubicon Sahara to me for 1% below invoice and deducted $2,250 in rebates. Although still much more $ than I originally planned on spending on a whim, I am the happy owner of another awesome Jeep....at 54 yrs old. Wife loves it too. Our driveway now looks like a Jeep convention. 2005 Rubi Sahara, 2002 Liberty Ltd and 2000 Wrangler Sport loaded ...now for sale.

Advise.....the itch is hard to overcome for Jeep lovers because my Sport is still like new with only 26,000 miles. Did I really buy another one? Someone please tell this ol' fart that I am not stupid or ready for the home yet. :) Hey Tom, got 3 of these puppies to hug today.

Harlan in Maryland
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    Camp Jeep '05 at Harlan's Place!!!

No one here's going to tell you to check into the home. Sounds like you got an awesome deal, so how can you possibly go wrong? Just make sure you leave enough room in the driveway for a Jeep Rescue if they ever build it.

Happy Jeeping (and Jeeping and Jeeping).

-Mike
  • believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    Ok Harlan,,,someone has to ask this ....how much for the 2000 and what color
    ///yeah ..color is important.....and congrats on the new one....
    Lew
    Lancaster, Pa
    our we allowed to do this on this site? tooo late! :P
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Thanks for the reply Tom and Mac. I figured that would be the response. I am currently running 28" and may stay with that but move from the GSA's to something else without the raised white lettering.I hate to lose ANY power. I will probably keep talking to other Jeepers I meet and see if any are running bigger tires with the 3.07 and listen to what they have to say. I have printed out your response Tom for any future decision I may make. I appreciate the time and effort on your part to explain the ups and downs of any changes. Welcome to all the new Jeeps folks. This is a great forum with useable information from honest and enthusiastic people. A rarity nowadays. Have Fun & Go Easy. John
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Tom, Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it alot, Im not very mechanically inclinded.

Mac, not sure which service schedule..i just drive...change oil every 3000 miles..etc i currently have 36K miles on tazz right now, and its a automatic tranny. Had tazz for 4 years in June.

Thanks,
    Bama
    The coolant thing and the tranny fluid change are biggies, if they have not yet been done.

You will prolong the life of that auto tranny by having the fluid changed about every 30K miles. Mac? Agree or not?

Tom

CONGRATS, HARLAN!

You are a man after my own heart! You are totally awesome!

Best of luck with that puppy and best of luck in selling that 00. Sounds like it would make someone a fine Jeep, with only 26K miles on it.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep(s) today? :)
    Ok, if you check the schedule in your Owners Manual you'll see that you've missed several items already. Even on the A schedule you should have had the suspension and steering greased (several times), transmission fluid and filter changed, spark plugs and more.

So, the details are in your manual, but basically:

All fluids (coolant, diffs, transmission, t/case, engine), and all (air,
    oil, transmission) filters. It's not in the manual, but I also like to change the brake fluid at least every three years or 30K.

Have the transmission adjusted while the pan is off for the fluid and filter change.

New spark plugs.

Inspect belt, hoses, steering and suspension linkages, brakes etc.

Now you're out of warranty it's important to keep on top of the servicing...................pay now, or pay more later!
    "You will prolong the life of that auto tranny by having the fluid changed about every 30K miles. Mac? Agree or not?"

Absolutely. While I think of it, how deep did the hubs and axles get when you were playing at the strip mine?
    Not terribly deep, Mac.

I changed the front diff oil tonight. It has been looking pretty dark and kind of a bluish grey color, so I changed it tonight. I used Mobil 1 75W90, which was what I put in there last time (when the LockRight was installed a little over a year ago).

I will have the tranny and t-case fluids changed soon, and will do the rear diff myself.

Tom

• wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    John, I have a 2000 TJ, 4.0, 3 speed auto with 3.07 rear end. I replaced the 28" tires with 30". I did notice a little drop in acceleration, not enough to take away from the better look of the bigger tires. It is not a hot rod, but heck, it is a Jeep.

Terry
  • tuckbuskirktuckbuskirk Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice mac. The weird thing is, is that I can go out to my Jeep, as I'm actually getting ready to do, and turn the key into the on position...and I know, by the time I am ready to leave, 10-15 minutes, that it will be ready to go...once the relay finally stops clicking (I'm assuming this is the breaker kicking on and off or attempting to come on over and over again) it's fine...it will start right up....