Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Real World MPG 2012

Comments

• ajfinoakajfinoak Member Posts: 58
    I bought my GT with auto 4 months ago and there are numerous things I really like about the car- sunroof is fantastic, power and heated seat is comfortable, and the car is the best looking of the hatches in my opinion. I also considered the Golf, Focus, Mazda 3.
    However, the debacle with the gas mileage still really ticks me off. I continue getting a lot lower than the EPA (avg 25 mpg) even though I am driving much more conservatively than usual and DID buy this car as a daily driver based on gas mileage as a big factor. Granted I live in an urban area with traffic and hills (San Fran Bay) but my last 3 cars have always met or exceeded their EPA numbers under the same driving (actually driving less conservatively). I can understand folks saying it is only 2 mpg and a few on this site are actually hitting the numbers. My 08 Lexus IS 250 only averages 2 mpg less in same driving. The point is Hyundai fudged the numbers and they deserve the bad press they are getting regardless of the spin they put on it. I will let it go since I refuse to take the $$ hit of getting rid of a new car but am upset that I bought the car with false info provided by Hyundai and the EPA can't be counted on to back it up. Granted only 2 car models (not brands) have been called on this in the past by the EPA but as a wise consumer I resent being manipulated by any corporation and when I find out about it they lose any future business and respect. Sorry Hyundai, I had been singing your praises before. Getting caught and offering minor reparations does not eliminate your manipulation of the buying public. Apparently, those of us who are pissed are not alone:

‘Burning up’ over Hyundai mileage misrepresentations - OC Watchdog : The Orange County Register
  • sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    No way! The last time I got a free wash (a few weeks ago when they fixed the heat shield) they did a horrible job! They missed a bunch of places and then didn't fully dry the car. I'd rather spend money on the car wash down the street! :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    That sucks. I am lucky both the Hyundai dealer I use for my two Hyundais and the Nissan dealer I use for my Sentra have great washes. The Nissan dealership has a hand wash. The Nissan dealership is paired with a MB dealership so not only do they offer free washes, anytime you want, but also free chair massages and free manicures on specific days of the week. I haven't tried those yet. :)
    Free chair massages and free manicures? Nice! Maybe I'll drive to your dealership instead! :)
  • deanb01deanb01 Member Posts: 11
    My wife purchased a '13 Limited in September. It now has 1,500 miles on it. According to the onboard trip computer the most she has achieved is 36 mpg. That's 70 - 75 mph, no air-con driving Hwy 101 from Thousand Oaks to Carpenteria CA.

We both love the car and did not purchase for MPG. Still, you can't help but notice a 10% shortfall.
  • eweinereweiner Member Posts: 36
    70 to 75 is not the most common speed limit so imagine how bad it is for those drivers.
    The Elantra is a terrible city car be glad you have more highway than city.
    36 mpg, or 2 mpg under the EPA highway number (4 under the old number) is actually pretty good at those speeds. FE drops off over 60 mph or so.
  • matthewg4matthewg4 Member Posts: 4
    I've read the numerous messages about the EPA MPGs not being achieved by most drivers, but I think there is one big factor that isn't being acknowledged, and that is a new engine will not achieve its best mileage until its been "broken in"; usually about 10k mileage. Also, other factors have to be taken into consideration: driving habits and the percentage of hwy vs city driving. Unless you're driving a hybrid the city driving will always have a negative impact on the mileage. Also, if you're driving most flat, straight road you're most likely to achieve the highest mileage, whereas if you're dealing with alot of hills, and twists'n turns, you're going to see mileage affected because of the change in RPMs - straight, flat lanes your RPMs are going to be consistent and therefore achieving better MPGs. I've got about 650 miles on my 2013 GLS-PZEV Elantra, and have averaged 32.6 mpg - but I also that I most of my commute driving is hwy and not during regular commute hours, so I'm able to maintain a consistent speed 60-65 - using both the ECO and cruise control. :shades: Give the cars a chance to break-in properly, and don't drive agressively, and you should see an improvement in your mileage.
  • mikewallace1mikewallace1 Member Posts: 24
    We are only getting back an estimated $40 after driving 10,000. I would hardly call that a reimbursement.

That is about 1 fill up or about 320 miles. If they were off by 2 mpg and are adding an additional 15% for inconvenience then I would think I should be getting back, at a minimum, enough to purchase 1000 miles of fuel.

I guess they are offering this as a cheaper alternative to facing lawsuits.
    edited November 2012
    Found on Wikipedia, "fraud is an intentional deception made for personal gain or to damage another individual". In the case of Hyundai, damage to other auto manufactures resulting in Hyundai market share gain. Or, would they have sold 900,000 units without mistating MPG.

10 years ago Hyundai "mistated" horsepower ratings on the 2002 Santa Fe. Their mia culpa then was debit cards and 1-year increased warranty protection.

They are getting good at this, but we keep buying their products anyway. ;)
    Yeah, that sounds about right. I'm getting back about $65 and I have almost 17,000 miles on my car.

You're right and I 100% agree. I wouldn't call that a reimbursement either. I'm really starting to be very disappointed with Hyundai. My first Hyundai was a 2010 Elantra in which the transmission blew a month & half after I bought it (brand new) and now this.
  • gman4911gman4911 Member Posts: 43
    According to Motor Trend, if you keep your avg speed below 65 mph, 40 mpg is attainable.
    You need a very long stretch of road. Flat conditions. Good weather.
    Most who experience higher mpg do so at higher sustained speeds.

Also be sure to reset your mpg before you test. The cars mpg is not point in time but a measurement since the last reset.

While i am sure the elantra can hit 36 to 40 (point in time), It cannot do so enough to counterbalance the terrible local mpg. Thus you do see a high mpg on the computer.

I drive 82 miles a day highway and my computer reads 28 to 29. Where's my 40?
  • lmar1lmar1 Member Posts: 1
    I thought I was the only one, just purchased a Hyundai Elantra after carefully considering the Honda Civic and Toyota Carolla, both of which we own. This had the best gas mileage ratings which ultimately was our determining factor. So I've been getting 28-29 MPG average open road and around town in the Eco Boost mode. I have been checking it manually because my AVG. on my display even goes down to 24 mpg. I was told there was a "break-in period" so I was waiting to take it back to the dealer for my first oil change to look into this then we got the letter this weekend. I am so disappointed! They are way off on their calculations. I just filled out the mileage estimator re-imbursement calculator that they sent the link for and wow it says a whole $9.98. That makes me feel much better since I just spent $22,500.00 on this car!!!!!!!!!!Is there anything else we can do? HELP!!!
    Definitely, start or join a class action. There is one in the CA courts now and another just started after Hyundai's admission in I believe Ohio.

They are going to have to step up with more than $9.98 in a lot of cases. I'd be interested in warranty extension. They did so in addition to debit cards 10 years ago when they "misstated" horsepower claims for the 2002 Santa Fe.

Good luck and happy motoring.
  • secorsecor Member Posts: 11
    I've tried it and best I can do is 34 MPG going 65 and all highway. Seems like many others have tried and are not getting close to EPA claims. Can I trade my Elantra in for the one Motor Trend used?
  • bberszonerbberszoner Member Posts: 1
    I am in the same boat. I got my 2013 Elantra GT in September and the mileage has been lackluster at best. With about 60-70% city driving, I would expect to be getting more than 25-26 average per tank. And as with many others, one main reason for getting this care was the mileage. And like many others, my previous car (1998 Honda Civic) got better mileage with more aggressive driving and lower overall mileage ratings (at the time I bought the car). Also, I am tired of driving like an old man/lady trying to eke out a few more miles per gallon. I'm going crazy.

Something we can do is get data out there on the performance of these cars. On www.fueleconomy.gov, you can record your mileage and fuel consumption online and let everyone see it. If enough Hyundai owners do this, maybe it will become clear how far off this car company is in their mileage claims.

I don't want to take a big financial hit trading this car in, but I also don't want to burst a vein with every tank fill. Massachusetts has a lemon law for car purcahses - I wonder if this qualifies?
    What's your avg MPH? As you can see in the chart, you need to maintain a speed between 35 and 65 MPH to get 40 MPGs. Also, your driving route needs to be flat. Neither the EPA nor the Motor Trend test is on hilly terrain.

Do you reset the MPH calculation (in addition to the MPG calculation) everytime you do the test? If not, you need to.
    I would like to join a class action law suit.

They way I see it we are averaging 25 mpg in mainly stop and go driving. That is 4 mpg or 14% difference so give me my 14% back.

10000 * .14 = 1400 miles / 25mpg = 56 gallons * 3.65/gallon = $200 per 10k miles driven.

I would accept $200 per 10k miles as fair and would way my right to sue.

$40 per 10k is laughable.
    Well, all dealers low-ball used car trade in offers when you purchase new. Maybe your $65.00 "reimbursement" is the Hyundai "misstated" low-ball.
  • knocker81knocker81 Member Posts: 44
    Ater 10,700 miles no improvement...still averaging 24 combined. I'm up here in NYC area should have parked it by the beach so Hurricane could have taken it away.
    I agree about lost future sales and not the penny-anny MPG debit cards. They should also extend warranty protection as a good faith gesture.

Krafcik and his counterpart in S. Korea should fall on the knife, but won't.
    I am really surprised Krafcik is still there. Any other self-respecting leader would have resigned by now.
  • rld72rld72 Member Posts: 2
    last week my wife and i took a ride. we drove from tucson az. to sierra vista az. don't remember the miles and didn't fill and check gas used. if anyone is aware of the topography in southern az. you know that you are always going uphill or down. we drove on i-10 to 90 south to sierra vista, fry blvd. to bypass 90, 90 back to i10, i10 t0 kolb rd. at which point the computer said 44.2 m.p.g. the vehicle is a 2012 elantra limited. my average speed was 50 m.p.h. the car has 18000 miles on it. if you on't get a reasonable mileage something is wrong, either with the car or your driving.
    That's just it, something IS wrong.
  • rld72rld72 Member Posts: 2
    so many poster's say the dealer says nothing is wrong, no codes, maybe the techs need more education?
    I think most would agree 38-40 mpg is achievable for a stretch on the highway. The main problems comes when you drive mostly in stop and go traffic - You cannot get close to the 29mpg.

I get 24-26 in the 'city'.
    The original 2013 Elantra sticker states: 29 City, 33 combined, 40 Highway

My best after 1,500 miles is 23 - 24 city, 25 - 26 combined, 33 - 36 highway

Quite a shortfall, even if it's not "broken in" yet.
  • aptmanaptman Member Posts: 4
    I have been posting the gas mileage issue for months here, haters all around always with an excuse, this was my 3rd Hyundai in a row and this will be my LAST ONE...its much worse than they admitted.
  • tcb74tcb74 Member Posts: 7
    Just did a 1000 mile trip this past weekend.
    L.A.-Las Vegas-Grand Canyon-L.A.
    We drove our 2013 Elantra. And got 42.8 mpg. going about 70-80 m/h.
    When I drive all city no freeway I get about 29-30 mpg. And that's in Los Angeles......
    If you pay attention to the way you drive, it's easy to get that kind of mpg.
    The A/C is a mpg. Killer... And if you get up 10 min late every morning trying to get to work on time, you'll kill you mpg. to.
    We love our Elantra :shades:
    Lucky you.. thanks for the driving tips, but even the tips won't help my combined 24 mpg. You wanna buy mine?
  • koller2012koller2012 Member Posts: 1
    Yeah after every fill up for the first 30-50 miles my dash says 44-47 MPG. Come time to fill up again though the real number for the tank is 29-30. I drive almost entirely highway as well back and forth from work. I find myself coating to stops for long distances when nobody is behind me just to squeek out higher dash numbers which never match what I actually get per tank.
    Say.....do you suppose Hyundai's onboard trip computer misstates MPG like the original sticker did?
    If your tank result is 29-30, you're driving way more stop & go than you realize, which is pulling your average down. Your avg MPH calculation will confirm that.
  • elantra4elantra4 Member Posts: 7
    I purchased my 2012 Elantra in June of 2011 when they first came out and paid full sticker price as it was the hottest car on the market. The reason it was the hottest car was the 40/29 mpg that was advertised. From the very beginning I noticed that I was not getting anywhere what was advertised and started posting on this web site. I got the usual story from the dealer as others had posted that the mileage would get better as the car got more mileage on it. Well with 19500 miles on it it has only gotten worse. Latest all city is 19.5 I can still get about 36mpg on an all highway but as the cold weather has started the mileage will drop as others have mentioned. I have owned two other Elantras 2003 and 2004 and got about the same mpg 32/24mpg. I traded in the 2004 when I heard about the supposed 40/29.If I knew what I know now I never would have traded it in for the 2012 and would have gotten a Civic. I do love the styling but am sorry that I went for the Elantras again. I will keep it for now but will be looking to trade it in the future.
  • selmamselmam Member Posts: 1
    Is there any way to refuse this debit card offer and demand more of a compensation? I've been disappointed in the mileage that my 2011 Elantra has gotten from the beginning, and find their statement "estimates on affected vehicles were overstated by one or two MPG" as insulting. It's closer to 5-10 mpg. in my experience. Had I known this, I would have bought the Jetta I really wanted. I bought this car for the supposed great mileage.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Selmam: I don't know if there is another way. Probably not since they are not being truthful about any of it. Check with the dealer you bought it from. Hyundai sales in NC have dropped greatly. There is an Elantra GT I have been looking at, sitting in front of the showroom, for the past six weeks. The dealer won't budge on his $999 administration fee (pays the little lady in the back room to type up the bill of sale) and the $399 mud guards. They say they will give the buyer $500 when he signs the contract. What a bunch of nuts. :P
  • kevperro3kevperro3 Member Posts: 1
    Mine gets pretty close to the updated estimates but this is simply unacceptable behavior by ANY company.

There is no way they could have honestly made a mistake on how they test their cars. Not only is it a black-mark on the company but they should be punished with a tariff. This amounts to unfair trade practice, dishonesty in the marketplace and for me and my kids... it is my last Hyundai (after buying four). It is simply unacceptable for a company to lie to me and get away with it.

Goodbye Hyundai Kia... never again!
    Well said, or to put it another way, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me". Hyundai misstated horsepower on the 2002 Santa Fe. How do I know? I received their debit card settlement and warranty extension. Their US President at the time said; well...consumers don't purchase Hyundai's for performance anyway, or words to that effect. He got canned shortly thereafter. Now, a relatively new US President and a huge misstated MPG claim.

These guys got this down pat.
    There is no way they could have honestly made a mistake on how they test their cars.
    The story is that they misinterpreted the EPA test procedures. Can anyone say that's not possible?
    Anything is "possible". But, are the EPA test procedures new to these guys? Does the EPA change the test procedures that frequently? How many years practice in S. Korea on each years Kia & Hyundai new models will it take?

In the meantime, let's misstate the results of our testing misinterpretations, put competition at an unfair disadvantage and in doing so sell a few more thousand units.

Thanks to a few irratated owners they got busted with their hand in the cookie jar, simple as that.
    It's called gilding the lilly, going too far trying to make a great new car more fetching. Hyundai was so desperate to get new models into production and shipped, they threw something into the stew that didn't need to be added. Now, Hyundai and Kia dealers have padded prices in the extreme trying to make the models look unbeatable, Such nonsense as $399 mudflaps and $999 sales fees.

You want to see and hear what those cars are really like, listen carefully to the video reviews on YouTube.com, listen to how the doors crash when closed, the tin-like trunk lids and hoods. If they got 100 mpg I'm not sure I would buy one. The 40mpg they are touting is no big deal. Buy a used Honda Civic with 5-speed stick and drive it moderately fast, it will happily give you 40mpg. My 1994 Civic did. :D
    The test I would really like to see: what those glass roofs and the cars' interiors look like after a Texas thunderstorm with golf-ball size hail. Doesn't Korea have hailstorms?
    Great question about "refusing the debit card". Has the EPA or the US Government for that matter accepted Hyundai's mia culpa? Hyundai should be slapped with fines & penalties far beyond the debit cards, and each owner should get a piece of that too.

There are consumer class actions pending now with obviously more to follow. Other auto manufacturers should also sue Hyundai based on deceptive advertising to gain market share.

Hyundai sold 900,000 units based largely on false advertising. In the court of public opinion they violated terms of their parole from previous "misstatements" and bogus claims that are nothing less than fraud.

Obviously they want the debit card holders & bad press to disappear as quickly as possible. They will pay dearly, but little of that will go directly to Elantra owners.
  • tcb74tcb74 Member Posts: 7
    No thanks one Elantra is enough:) Try to fill up and reset your trip counter and then do the math when you fill up again. You might have a problem with the computer. 24 mpg. Combined sounds very low.
    That's the only way I do it...can't rely on the computer. I've had the car a year now and it's a consistent 24 combined....just ridiculous!
  • drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    So, I bought the 2011 Elantra Limited because I got sold mainly on the mileage. The car was nicely equipped and a really good price, but i never was fully satisfied because of the mpg issue. I ended up averaging 30mpg overall with a 60/40 highway/city mix over 18000 miles (I should be getting about $75 back once my reimbursement clears). Which compared to some is still pretty darn good.

If i had bought the Elantra because I just really loved the car, I'd still own it today probably. But my main reason was the mpg, and I stupidly couldnt get over it like a bad breakup. So I ended up trading it in for a 2012 Jetta TDI with a stick shift. In which i average 39.9 in the same mix over 13500 miles.

If you are considering an Elantra, look at the cost benefits, the value for the money and the styling, and consider the mpg numbers as another feature, and you'll probably never second guess your choice like i did (plus i went from stick for 10 years to an automatic, and just missed having a manual, so that was another factor for tradein).
  • roadscholar3roadscholar3 Member Posts: 23
    I agree. I'm sure a lot of people who have been making noise about this issue are feeling vindicated but NOT compensated.

I think they are trying to escape a massive lawsuit that would be much more money. I think it's pretty clear the U.S. government looked the other way, perhaps to give them a foothold in the market here (jobs, etc. being the payoff). And now that the mileage problem has gone from a few disgruntled customers to a collective roar they are doing a minimal 'fix' and lying about how it happened and getting a little slap on the wrist from the government. Not only have people lost faith in Hyundai, but also for the authority of the EPA. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this whole thing was planned and pre-calculated into their profit numbers from the get-go....better known as 'the cost of doing business'.
    Their legal solution doesn't come close to compensating for BOTH past and future losses due to owning a much less gas efficient car than was stated. They have lost me as a future customer but I still will be living with this less gas efficient vehicle for several more years. There ought to be something worked out for those wanting to unload their Hyundai or KIA.
    I want out of this contract so I can purchase a PRIUS.

Just saw this article about Hyundai/KIA compensation today -
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/hyundai-and-kia-to-compensate-consumers-for-over- stating-mileage-claims.html
    Cant tell you how many jerks here and on other sites were so totally convinced that the poor mileage was due to improper driving.

Hyundai's admission shut them up quick.

Hyundai has still understated the issue. I rarely get the combined EPA milage on my Elantra even when a lot of my miles are highway.
    I think it's pretty clear the U.S. government looked the other way, perhaps to give them a foothold in the market here (jobs, etc. being the payoff).

Ridiculous. Even if the U.S. government wanted to pay off an automaker to add jobs, why select a foreign automaker that already had two factories in the U.S. with no near-term plans to add another?

It's comments like that that make it difficult to take complaints about FE seriously. Those kind of comments only bring down those from people who have legitimate complaints, e.g. due to a defect in their car.

And if you wanted the FE of a hybrid like the Prius... you should have purchased a hybrid in the first place.