Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Member Posts: 24
    Called the dealer last night.....the Jeep was delivered yesterday morning. They were waiting to have the inspections complete on the vehicles before giving me a ring in case there was an issue.

I will be driving up today to take delivery. Hope to have some pics.

Semper Fi,

Mike

PS - 5 weeks and 1 day from order to delivery.
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Terry. Thanks for the information.I just may go with the 30's, Where do you notice the greatest loss in acceleration? Actually, I am an old hot rodder.(Part of the problem I suppose). I used to run the quarter mile at our local dragstrip many years ago but its something that stays with you per the need for some speed-even in a Jeep. If the loss of power is not to bad I may make the change. Any info will help. I have the 5 speed. Go Easy, John
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Greetings Cap1374. I just read your message per your sound system. I had all four factory speakers replaced with Infinity speakers. I kept the original radio and CD player (soft top theft issues) and just crank the volume up. The difference in sound is very noticeable and the price is affordable. The bass is excellent. Go Easy, John
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Called the dealer last night.....the Jeep was delivered yesterday morning. They were waiting to have the inspections complete on the vehicles before giving me a ring in case there was an issue.

I will be driving up today to take delivery. Hope to have some pics.

Semper Fi,

Mike PS - 5 weeks and 1 day from order to delivery.

Yeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations, Mike!!!!!

Man, I am so happy for ya! (In case you hadn't noticed) :)

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    >They were waiting to have the inspections complete.

Depending on the dealer that probably means they're putting their name all over your Jeep. In my case it was a spare tire cover and license plate holder with the dealer name/logo. In other parts of the country it means they slap a dealer decal on the back. I think there may be somewhere in the archives of this chat instructions on removing said decal if you so desire.

(Imagine if hospitals did this to newborn babies!)

Congratulations!

-Mike
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    MtnGal, I couldn't replicate the quasi-death wobble on the 405. Got some bouncing and rocking -- that was I think what you said you experienced. Oddly, I got another actual wobble driving Washington Blvd in Culver City. Didn't have to pull over this time, just slowed and it went away. There's really nothing more to be done about it until the service guys chime in. In the mean time, i should probably stay off of Mulholland Drive lest my steering go out and I pull a James Dean.

-Mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I always enjoyed this one:

Badge/emblem removal techniques

Unless someone has figured out a way to remove the decals with a flame thrower, I don't suppose we need to drag it out of the archives.

Steve, Host
  • futurebeachbumfuturebeachbum Member Posts: 4
    Got the jeep bug & have been looking at Unlimiteds (automatic-wife concession).
    I noticed the EPA estimates varied from 16 city-19 hwy on the 04's to 14 city-18 hwy on the 05's.
    Did something change or did the EPA just revise their estimates.

On a very positive note, my wife after seeing some tricked out Wranglers on the dealers lot said, "If we are going to get a jeep, we are going to get a JEEP!" She wants the teraflex, fender flares and at least 33 tires. What a gal!

FutureBeachBum
  • jeepwannabejeepwannabe Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for writing back, Tom, and for your thoughts and ideas. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. The '89 seems to be in good condition, other than the engine, so if I can get someone to get her running right for a reasonable price, I'll probably do that. Jim
    OK, Jim. Good luck whichever way you go. You are definitely on the right track in thinking that you would enjoy having a Jeep. Just ain't nothin' like em!.

Tom

Hi FBB, and welcome.

If there are any differences between the 04's and 05's that would change their gas mileage ratings, I'm not aware of them.

Good luck in your search for a Jeep. Hope you get the perfect Jeep for your needs/wants. Keep us posted on how it's going.

Tom

• jeffc_76jeffc_76 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking into getting a Wrangler this summer. 4WD is a must have around here IMO but I'd like something different after driving Ford Rangers as my last two vehicles.

I really like the look of the Wranglers with the bigger wheels. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, it looks like the 16" is only available on the Rubicon model. The sport model seems to have a larger wheel/tire option available but I think this is still a 15 wheel just with a larger tire than the standard option. Am I correct that 16" is exclusive to the Rubicon? I use 4WD a lot and do some very light offroading but the Rubicon seems like a little bit of overkill for my purposes (and a bit more expensive than the Sport model). Honestly, I really just like the look of the higher standing Wranglers w/ larger tires; it's just hard to justify paying thousands more for appearances.

If I'm correct that 16" wheels are only available on the Rubicon, are there models from previous years I should look for where 16" were available? Maybe consider after market on a Sport model (might be less expensive)? TIA for any info or tips.
    - Jeff
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Well, after seeing some other people do something similar, I decided to fab my own trunk. It is not the end-all be-all for security, but it will take some work to get it open.

3/4" plywood backed by 2x4 supports for a frame and mounting point for turnbuckles. When I put my duster on, I have a nice little shelf for storing my upper windows. With the safari top on, it is rather nice. Storage isn't amazing especially since I have other stuff that is always back there, but it gives me additional water protection and reduces the liklihood of somebody getting there. Yeah, it's not perfect, but for the small price I paid, it works for me. :)

Here are a few pics (shouldn't be too big).

Turnbuckles holding it down
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Top with hooks for hauling stuff

Gate open, got storage space and it is fairly dry especially with the duster on

-Paul
  • neddnedd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Wrangler with 32,000, it comes with a powertrain manufacturer's warranty for 70,000 miles.
    I do not know if it is a good idea to buy an extended warranty for 100,000 miles or 5 years?
    It is from Daimler Chrysler ervice contracts and it costs $62 a month for 3 years,
    with $0 deductible.

Any advice on whether it is worth it or not especially on a wrangler?
  • dave__dave__ Member Posts: 80
    That's a great mod! Now you've got me thinking... It would be cool to design a 'trunk' specifically for my camping gear and another specifically for my hang gliding gear. Hmmmm...

Yours in Jeep Coolness,

Dave
  • johnfmknjohnfmkn Member Posts: 9
    I think the 89 yj for 1k is a great deal you can buy a new engine for 1,600 bucks. So your still paying less than 3k for the Jeep thats a great deal. Also remember Jeep parts are cheap and easy to install yourself. Also note that the 87-95 are the favored models square head lights, and leaf springs. Dude get the YJ.
  • 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Just want to confirm that I found a good deal.

My local tire store has a sale on these right now;
    31x10.5x15 BF Goodrich AT - $108 a tire. + 15 a tire for mounting/balance
    He offered me $120 for the 30" spare that's never touched the ground.
    (sounds pretty good to me)

He did mention I should pick up an adapter to move the 3rd brake light up a few inches, so the 31" spare fits. Did you guys do this?

Also, I'm not having any alignment issues that I can feel. Should I have it aligned anyway, because of the new tires?

-Dan
    Jeff:

Forgive me, if I am off base in asking this, but are you possibly thinking that you have to have the 16" rims in order to have oversize tires? If so, that is not true. You can get just about any tire diameter you want and put it on a 15" rim.

Rubicons come out with 16" wheels and 31" tires, but you can buy a Sport with its 15" rims and still put 31" tires on it. You can go even bigger on tire diameter, if you put some kind of lift kit on the Jeep.

Tom

Sounds like a good deal to me. I would jump on it.

As far as the alignment, it would be some pretty good insurance to have it done, so you will know that you are not going to wear out your brand new tires prematurely.

Do me a favor, please??? Unless they ask you specifically, don't tell them what pressure to inflate those new tires to. Just see what they do.

You will want to run 28 psi in them. Trust me.

Let us know what they inflate them to, OK?

Tom

P.S. I don't remember having to do anything about my third brake light when I went to 31" tires.
    Nedd:

This is one of those deals where it is just personal opinion. Some people really like having an extended warranty, and for some it really pays off to have one.

My opinion is that if your new vehicle gets you through the initial warranty period with no issues, then it is most likely going to be good for a couple hundred thousand miles. No need for extended warranty. I say that even for the traditional 3 yr/ 36,000 mi warranty. With the 7 year/70,000 mi warranty, I REALLY see the extended warranty as not being worth the cost.

Also, you almost have to be a lawyer to interpret what is covered and what isn't in most of those extended warrany policies.

That's just my opinion. Now if I talk you out of getting one, and then it turns out that you should have, don't blame me. I am just telling you what I would do, since you asked.

Welcome to Edmunds Jeep Wrangler.

Tom

• 99tj99tj Member Posts: 187
    Will do. I'm curious myself.

-Dan
    Hi Tom. Thanks a lot for the info.

I guess I don't know a ton about this. I figured that the 15" wheels would be a limiting factor that would prevent me from going all the way up to a 31" diameter.

Is there a way to determine what size tires (e.g. how big) you can put on a 15" wheel? Also, I assume it makes a big difference depending on if we're talking about the standard 15"x7" rim on the sport or the 15"x8" that comes with the optional package. For example, when I look at this page I see that a 31X10.50R15LT tire would give me about the same diameter (30.5") as the ones that come with the Rubicon. I'm not familiar with this type of measurement (used to seeing LTxxx/xxR15, etc.) but I assume that the 10.5 indicates the tire width. Can you put a 10.5" wide tire on a 8" wheel? (also what about the 7" wheel?) Or are you talking about another (narrower) size tire altogether (not listed on that page) that would fit those rims? Getting a Jeep I like and replacing the wheels and tires isn't out of the question but your reply above sounds promising that I might only need to get the tires. I don't think I would want to go much bigger than 31" or so. I just like the look of the slightly bigger tires a lot better than the smallish stock ones I see a lot when looking at other people's Jeeps. Thanks again. - Jeff
  • usmc_jeepusmc_jeep Member Posts: 24
    Tom,

Thanks. There is a down side. I still do not have my Jeep. Everything was going great until I sat down with the Business Mgr. They initially offered me the great APR of 9.9%! I immediatley declined and they countered with 7.54! I walked out after informing them that I would be financing through my own institution. I made the call in the parking lot of the dealership to USAA and 10 minutes later I have the loan approved at a much lower rate. I gave up the 1k DC incentive, but I made up for it with the better APR. I hate financial managers.

Now I have to wait until Saturday to take delivery at 11am.

Thanks for hanging in there with me. It does help.

Semper Fi,

Mike
  • madman2madman2 Member Posts: 12
    I am trying to replace the water pump on my 2000 TJ, however, I can not get the fan/clutch off the old pump. On the old ones you just undid the bolts and off it came. Weel, for some reason, they changed this. There is a single large nut. However, that just spins the the fan and water pump when when trying to turn it. Is there a special tool? Does anyone know how to remove it?
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    John, I notice the reduced acceleration at higher speeds (60 - 65 mph) with my 3 speed auto in lockup. If I hit it hard enough to knock it out of lockup it still has plenty of kick. Remember, this is a 3 speed auto, not known as one of your hotter performing drive trains. You should not have any problem if you drop down a gear if you need the power.

I put on Goodyear Wrangler AT/S', 30" X9.5". They look pretty good and are a good selection for my type driving and the weather around Chicago. The only drawback is they are a little noiser. Remember, like Tom says, you run less pressure in the larger tire. The ride got better and the noise level went down when I lowered the pressure in mine. The dealer pressured them to 35 psi. I don't know if they don't know the pressure, don't pay attention or just don't care. I suspect it is the latter.

Terry
    Jeff:

The tire diameter really doesn't have a lot to do with the diameter of the rim. I think they pretty much make the full range of tire diameters for both 15" and 16" rims.

The largest tire that will fit on a stock Wrangler (no lift) is a 31" x 10.50." Yes, the 10.50" is the width, and, yes, the 10.50" tire works just fine on an 8" wide rim. It would be OK on a 7" rim for that matter. You can use all the way up to a 12.50" tire on an 8" wide rim.

If you get the Sport model, be SURE to get the AAS package. This gets you the super nice looking 15" x 8" Ravine alloy wheels, 30" tires (which you might very well be able to trade-in while still new on some 31 x 10.50's at a tire store for a pretty decent trade-in allowance), gas shocks, and the heavy duty Dana 44 rear axle.

Jeff, some people have to add a washer behind their steering stop on each side to prevent the tire from rubbing on the control arm at full turn when they go to 31 x 10.50's with the factory wheels. It seems like it's about 50:50. In my case, that was not necessary. Just the tiny difference in individual Jeeps makes some people have to use the washers while other people don't.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your quest for a Jeep. If you have never owned a short wheel base Jeep, you don't have a clue as to how much fun they really are.

Tom

P.S. I am TOTALLY with ya on larger tires making a Jeep look a LOT better.
  • believebelieve Member Posts: 74
    Hey Mike,

Why not take them up on the 7.54%.....drive off and do a refinance at a lower rate?

You'll save a grand and the finance manager gets probably nothing when you

complete the refi. That's how us Squids think. ;)
    later,
    Lew
    Hey, Madman. Welcome.

I can't help ya, but stick around, and I'll bet good old Mac will have some words of wisdom for ya.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the welcome. I have not hugged my Jeep today. I did swear at it a bunch! And Mac, if you are listening, please help. Thanks.

-Josh (aka: madman2)
    Thanks again Tom for all the info. It is a big help. I'm considering buying (slightly) used this time around so knowing that I have this flexibility to switch to the tires I want even if the Jeep has the smaller rims is good to know as I look around.

Now I just need to decide if I like the half doors or the full doors better. :D I'll have to get a hard top for around here (VERY cold winters) either way so at first I was pretty sure I would want the full doors, but looking at the aftermarket hard tops for the half door models, I was really impressed with how good they looked. Oh well, will just have to check out both some more..... :)
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    "I am trying to replace the water pump on my 2000 TJ, however, I can not get the fan/clutch off the old pump.......................Does anyone know how to remove it?"

Special large thin wrench required. Cheap to buy, or rent for free from AutoZone.
    Jeff:

You are very welcome.

Let me warn you about something. You want to go to bigger tires, so you do NOT want 3.07 axle gearing. Your acceleration will suffer with the bigger tires, if you have 3.07 gears. Try to get a Jeep that has 3.73 gearing.

Tom

P.S.

Jeff, you would do well to read LOTS of the old posts in here. You are about to buy a vehicle that is unlike anything you have ever owned. There are choices to be made that you need to have knowledge about, so that you make the right choice for YOUR situation. Many of the choices in buying a Jeep depend entirely on the individual's circumstances, i.e., how the Jeep will be used, the climate where the Jeep will be used, etc.
    See, I TOLD ya good old Mac would come through for ya! :)
  • mainlinepipermainlinepiper Member Posts: 3
    Hello.

I'm seeking to address my curiosity and looking into buying a Jeep. I don't have the time to read 845 posts (although if I stripped out the ones from this "Tom" dude, there would probably only be 100 or so from other people :) ), so I'm hoping someone (even Tom) can tell me about their experience with maintenance issues. What sort of stuff has gone wrong and when? Has anything gone wrong repeatedly in the course of general use (i.e. daily commute to work, if anyone actually uses it for that).

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has already been addressed 500 posts ago.

P.S. Let go of her, Tom, she needs to breathe!
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I don't know about Wranlers, but on BMWs the big fan clutch nut is reverse threaded, meaning that you turn it clockwise to loosen it... )
  • jherron5992jherron5992 Member Posts: 8
    madman2

I had the same problem with the fan when I had to change the waterpump on my Jeep. I actually tried taking the fan off the right way ( I didnt know it at the time) but i guess I didnt turn it hard enough or something, and I ended up taking the water pump, with the fan still on it, to o'riellys, and they took it off there. I wish I would have known how to do it the right way, it was so much easier.

When you take the fan off, make sure to turn it clockwise.
    Hey, Mainline. Welcome.

Yep, it's that "Tom Dude." :)

Thelma Jane has about 55 K miles on her, and she has more trail miles than most Jeeps that are ten years older. She has held up VERY well. When I go off road, I don't just go for a "walk in the park." Thelma Jane gets into some pretty tough stuff, and she has held up extremely well.

I have had to replace the drivers side hub assembly/wheel bearing. It is a sealed unit, and you can't just change the bearing. You have to replace the hub assembly.

That is the only mechanical issue to date, other than the turn signal stalk being replaced under warranty. I consider that a VERY good track record.

Tom

Mac,

I have tried that. I have been to or called every AutoZone in my area, Ft. Hood Texas. They do not seem to have what I am looking for. They will sell me a 5 peice fan/clutch wrench set for $40, but, they do not know if it will work. Is this the part? I have tried a large wrench to hold the the pully (using the nuts that hold it in place) in place while using another wrench and hammer on the nut. I know the fan is coutnerclockwise, so I was turning it clockwise (while standing in front of the engine looking at the fan/clutch). Do I just need to hit harder or use an airhammer?
    Thanks for your help.
  • letdolphinletdolphin Member Posts: 37
    Ok a few quick questions regarding what is normal on an invoice.

I have 3 dealers who are competing for the sale.

All 3 have the same advertising charge of 285. ... is this about normal??
    they all also list a Customer One Loyalty Mailings??? what is this??

One mentions "We do have a Customer Service Fee of 199.50 that offers you a loaner vehicle whenever your Jeep is in for service (other than for oil changes) and, most importantly, FREE oil changes at our dealership for as long as you own the Wrangler. If you prefer Mobile One, it gives you a credit for 24.95 off of the bill. This fee is taxable along with the Invoice price of the Jeep."

Yet one of the other mentions the following: "plus our $289.75 doc fee" any way yall know how to get out of this one????

Anything else you can think of I need to ask before choosing the dealer??

Thanks Laura

PS Tom ... I wasn't able to swing the Rubicon but I am getting the Sport with AAS group, Security Group & locking fuel filler cap in Light Khaki :)
  • oceantoadoceantoad Member Posts: 186
    In post 16890 he mentions that O'Reilly Auto Parts removed the one from his water pump. Isn't there an O'Reilly just before the new Hooters on the access road (the opposite side of 190 across from Tractor Supply)? I think there is one in the Cove also. Might be worth a shot.

Still a happy camper.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    What is the size of the nut? On a Bimmer the nut is 32 mm and you can get a suitable thin wrench from most any well equipped bicycle shop.
    O'Rielly's did have the right tool (the skinny wrench) to take the fan off, but i'm not gonna lie, it took me and the guy behind the counter pulling against each other really hard to get it loose. The mechanical book that I have says that the belt is supposed to be putting enough friction on the pulley that it wont spin, but when I was putting the fan back on, it wouldn't hold strong enough that I could tighten it properly. Another thing, when I put it back on, i didn't have the little tool that O'Rielly's had, I used a Big [non-permissible content removed] adjustable wrench that I'd been saving for just such an occasion. It let me put alot more torque on the nut than that tool at O'Rielly's would have.
    Ocean,

Yes there is one, however, getting to the lower left hand bolt on the waterpump is a huge pain since the space is limited in there. I can not get a wrench, rachet or ortherwise in there. I have considered spending more time and effort on trying to get that bolt free.

I can get a wrench on the water pump nut. I just can not get it to break.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I don't understand the lack of understanding about, or availability of, the tool. It's so commonly required on so many vehicles. I'll try to find you a pic.

Meanwhile, here's the description of which way to turn the nut taken from the FSM:

"....4.0L Engine
    The thermal viscous fan drive/fan
    blade assembly is attached (threaded) to water pump
    hub shaft. Remove fan blade/viscous fan drive assembly
    from water pump by turning mounting nut counterclockwise
    as viewed from front. Threads on
    viscous fan drive are RIGHT HAND. Using a suitable
    fan wrench loosen the fan drive...."

Edit: Here's the pic as promised:

Ya, the blet does not hold it. It just spins. Ugh. How did you get to the lower left hand nut (while looking at the pump from the front of the Jeep)? What tool did you use? I tried to get to that bolt, to do the same type of thing you did. But, I can not get in there.

Thanks to all for the help on this matter.
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I can't believe all the new people and new Wranglers! That's fabulous.

Hi, everyone!

There's nothing like a Wrangler - we have 2 of them. One's a '98 hard top Sport and one is an 04 soft top Unlimited, and the Sport isn't going anywhere for a while.

We decided against getting the extended waranty for the Unlimited - I never used the 100,000 mile one on the Sport. There have been some maintenance issues (exhaust manifold, air conditioner compressor and dash gauges) but all happened after 100,000 miles. The Sport still has less than 130,000 miles on the odometer and still starts right up (OK, it got a new battery last year).

The Unlimited has about 34,000 miles on it, so the bumper-to-bumper is just about over. There have been no maintenance issues so far, but I guess that isn't so surprising for a 7 month old vehicle. The tranny is holding up really well considering the mountain we drive daily - one of my biggest concerns with buying an automatic.

I do wish the gas prices would go down - this $2.48 per gallon is driving us nuts. The gas mileage between the '98 Sport and the '04 Unlimited is about 2 mpg. I don't know which contributes more to the drop - the extra weight of the Unlimited or the fact that it is an auto where the Sport is a 5 speed. The Unlimited gets 17 plus to 18 plus mpg on a regular basis (98% highway and hills). Put it in 4WD or add some wind and forget about the mileage.

Half doors vs. full doors - there are things I like about the half doors (height for your elbow mainly) but I wouldn't want them. I think they would be tolerable if you replace the windows with sliders, but there is no way I would want to mess with the zippers on the fabric windows that come with them. Go through a drive-through window in the rain and get wet. Have to unzip the window to pay a toll (more effort and takes longer).

Hope all of the new Wrangler owners are enjoying them, however they are configured.
    Mac,

Oh, they have tools for that. All say they work on Fords. I found one that says it will work on Jeep V8s. But, no one knows for sure if it will work on my Jeep. I just hate the idea of spending $40.00 on a part that might not work.

Does the little tool just drop down and go around the nuts that hold the pully in place? Like it does on the ford?

I used a big fan wrench to hold the nuts for the pully and another wrench on the fan bolt. I was ponding on that thing with a hammer and it would not break. Should I just beat harder?

Heck, I am almost at the point of using a sawzall on the nut and putting an electric fan on.

Thanks again for all the help.

-Josh
    Ok, this happened about a year ago, so my memory is a little rusty but I think that I took the belt off and then took out the four bolts on the pulley so that it could slide forward. i'm really not that sure but I think thats what we had to do. also I had already taken out the radiator (it too had to be replaced) so that gave me some more room.
    Hi Mainlinepiper,

I have a 2000 Jeep TJ Sport with just over 100,000 miles and other than a failed water pump nothing else so far has failed or gone wrong. I did blow the rear diff, but, that was off roading with the ARB locked in. I change the oil/filter every 3000 miles and started using fully syn oil at about 70,000 miles.

My, Jeep is my daily driver. It is good for only about 70mph now tho.

I do love my Jeep. She is not as pretty, fast or comfy as some vehicles. But, she will take me anyplace I want to go without fail. Best car I have ever owned.

-Josh
    Ya, I pulled the radiator already and the four bolts holding the pully. I still could not get to that dang lower left bolt.