Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1998-2003's excessive oil use

matrixcorollamatrixcorolla Member Posts: 9
These cars have the IZZFE engine with small piston and they start using massive amounts of oil at 30 to 60,000 miles. ToyotaNation says Toyota is aware that their supplier made the pistons too small and that they "compensated" by making the rings lager - but with age, the rings fail and the engine is shot.

Until enough owners and former owners of these oil suckers call 1-800 331-4331 and file a complaint, Toyota will keep denying thte problem.

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    You posted this already elsewhere - I'll say again, my 130,000 mile 1999 Corolla did not use excessive amounts of oil when I sold it. Between oil changes (4,000 miles), the dipstick level dropped at most approx 1/4 inch. I never had to add oil to mine.
  • matrixcorollamatrixcorolla Member Posts: 9
    Yes, i am going to continue posting because it is a problem with the IZZ engines. Toyota knew their dub produced pistons too small, but they used them to save money and screw those who got the IZZ FE engines. See Toyota Nation forums - many of us drew the short straw on this one. Be thankful you didn't, but don't dismiss those of us who did.
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    It wasn't because the pistons were too small.
    The drainback holes behind and below the oil rings were too few and too small.
    The problem was fixed 8 years ago, so let it go.
    edited December 2011
    Which is why I had ZERO issues with my '99. I changed my oil frequently, NEVER went over 5,000 miles or 6 months, so mine did not use oil.

So I will say that the car did not have enough tolerance for neglect.
    I WILL NOT drop it!!! It is a factory defect and the car is NOT FIXED. Toyota denies any problem with the IZZ engines.
  • visch1visch1 Member Posts: 6
    Try to accept the things you cannot change.
    What a ridiculous idea - we should NOT accept poor work and faulty design when the company KNEW about the problem.
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    You guys must have got lemons :lemon: , I have three Corollas(two with high mileage) and none use ANY oil between changes. I had a "79" Corolla and a "86" Tercel also both of which never used oil between changes either.
    It was the IZZ FE engine. Toyota knew but did not fix it.
  • parthanon1parthanon1 Member Posts: 16
    Hi:
    I posted earlier but my post disappeared. After 14 years of good service the car started to burn oil. The dealer said that there must be sludge clogging the engine. I am now looking to buy another car.

1)I am wondering if the problem of small piston or piston rings or the holes behind the piston being small etc. etc. have been resolved by Toyota?

2) Do i have the IZZ FE engine in my 1998 corolla?

3) Has any one heard about 2011 or 2010 corollas engine?

thanks for help.
  • parthanon1parthanon1 Member Posts: 16
    Hello;
    I am correcting question no. 3 and adding question no. 4 to my above post:

3) Has any one heard about 2011 or 2010 corollas engine failing due to burning oil or sludge?

4) What other problems the 2009-2011 Corollas have?
  • terceltomterceltom Member Posts: 1,024
    3) no

4) like any new vehicle there are some TSB's of items to keep an eye on, but no failings or major problems that I know of; I have a 2009 and I just love it.
  • bearlaketombearlaketom Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 used a quart every 500 miles. Drove me crazy! It never smoked, but it seemed every time I checked it, it was a quart low. I've owned a number of Toyotas and have never had another one use any oil at all. I just got rid of that 2000 and moved on.
    my 1999 never used any. Sold it at 125k miles or so, great car, but needed bigger.
    I have an '08 corolla. doesn't use any oil. My daughter has a 2010 Corolla without any issues at all. Great car. My old 2000 went though a quart every 500 miles.
    you were lucky. I had a 2000 corolla and changed my oil religiously at 3000 miles and it started using a quart every 500 miles at about 60,000 miles. It drove me crazy! I kept it anyway until it had 125K, and just lived with it. Have an '08 now and it's a great car.
  • zippy99zippy99 Member Posts: 17
    My 99 do not show signs of oil consumption at 200k miles.I change the oil at every 5000k miles and thats all.