Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Auto Shows for 2012

odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
I'm starting up the thread for the new year of Auto Shows.

All discussions for the 2012 year shall be in here. Pictures are a plus, so go ahead and post them too. Dates and information would be good too.

I myself am going to try for the Philly Auto Show.

Odie

Comments

• odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Here are the dates for both the Philly International Auto Show and the Pennsylvania Auto Show(in Harrisburg, PA).

Philly - 1/28/12 - 2/5/12

Harrisburg - 1/26/12 - 1/29/12

Odie
    Well, I've made up my list of vehicles that I am going to make sure I check out will alot of serious detail. They are as follows;
    1. Honda Fit
    2. Honda Fit Shuttle (if its there)
    3. Honda CR-V
    4. Honda Pilot
    5. Kia Rio 5-door
    6. Kia Forte 5-door
    7. Kia Sportage
    8. Subaru Impreza Sport Limited / Premium 5-door
    9. Subaru XV (if its there)
    10. Mazda 5
    11. Mazda CX-5
    12. Toyota Rav4
    13. Toyota Highlander
    14. Toyota 4Runner

This is my short list as it stands now for vehicle I need to check out in detail as a potential replacement for "The Beast".

Odie
    edited January 2012
    Here are the dates for the Detroit Show.

Dates are January 9th through January 22nd with the public showing being the 14th - 22nd.

North American International Auto Show

Odie
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Formally knows and The New England International Auto Show.

Jan 12-16.

Nothing gets unvieled, no special effects or visiting dignataries. Just an old fashioned metal on floor, climb into every car type of sho.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    edited January 2012
    Hope that BMW makes a visit this year... They skipped last year.

Anyone going to Chi-town this spring?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2012
    Nice pics.

Odie
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    Anyone going to Chi-town this spring?

The auto show? I usually get to it about every other year and I am thinking about this year. However there are not a lot of new cars out there that have piqued my interest. But who knows I might find a few there.

IIRC the IAA International Motor show In Frankfort, Germany is the only auto show larger and that is a bi-annual event (which I do not believe is held this year).

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    ...opens Saturday, January 28th at the Convention Center. Any folks coming?
    I believe there are a bunch of unmentioned premieres/concepts that are coming to the show. Supposedly a new Volvo XC90 for instance.

The Boston show was pretty lame and my wife and I love Chicago so we are going to check out the show this year. It'll be our first time. Then skip over to The Billygoat for burgers after! :D
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I have to see when I am going on my extended hospital stay. If it's not before then I'd love to finally show up and finally meet you and Andre...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    We are headed down on Sunday the 29th. We are going to do our typical run down from Hershey, PA. Leave up here around 7am(ish) and stop at Nifty Fifty's in Ridley Park (1900 MacDade Blvd and Route 420) for breakfast. The drive over and shoot up i-95 past the stadiums. We get there right around 9am-9:30ish.

Odie
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    edited January 2012
    It's hard to expect too much when the Boston show is going on at the same time as the NAIAS in Detroit.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    I agree, but this is not always the case. The Boston show is usually around the end of November-first week of December timeframe. This year they pushed it back...

Still, since they've moved it to the new convention center, it hasn't been as good as it was. Last year there were no BMW's and the Mercedes, Audi and some others only had a handful of cars on site, not entire lineups.

I'll still go, but it's not really one to look forward to.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited January 2012
    I agree, but this is not always the case. The Boston show is usually around the end of November-first week of December timeframe. This year they pushed it back...

The convention center was booked pretty solid through November. Since the show is put on by the dealers association, they've looked for ways to cut costs for a few years. January is usually a cheaper time to book convention space in Boston.

As far as some manufaturers not being there or not having a full stable of vehicles, blame the dealers. It's their show - not the manufacturer.
    I will post a short review of the vehicles I'm going to be checking out at the Phialdelphia Auto Show on 1/29/2012. I like being able to toy with all the stuff, look under the hood and basically become a vehicle proctologist without having a sales person breathing over me. After the Auto Show, if the vehicle survives the "Cut List" I then do a road test at a local dealer. I have about 15-20 vehicles on a list as a replacement for "The Beast" (my '06 Honda Pilot EX-OR) and plan on cutting the list down to about 5 after the Auto Show. So these 5 will be the vehicles I will do the reviews on. I will post a "Why Cut" reasoning behind why each vehicle on my list got cut.

I will post a link to a photo album (will be public) on my facebook page after I get done uploading pictures.

Odie
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    Any update on your status, Fezo? I can do Saturday the 28th, but not the following Saturday (2/4/12). I got an email from Grbeck, saying he could do the 4th, but not the 28th. :(
    I'm fighting a bug at the moment. Will check in to update.

Certainly given that situation if you have a better offer take it. If not hang on and we'll see.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I can be there both weeks. Let me know because I can get discount tickets ahead of time.
    OK. Count me in for Saturday. Let me know where to meet. Hope you gents know a decent place to park the car!
    I always meet near the Dunkin' Donuts in the Reading Terminal Headhouse near 12th and Market. I park my car at indoor garage at Broad and Race, but that's a few blocks NW of the Convention Center if you don't mind walking a bit. If you get there early, you can park all day for about $12.
    Turns out I can't get discount tickets which were good for $3 off the $12 admission. I dilly-dallied too much and my sources are out of them. They ran out of them on Monday. I didn't think they'd go that fast. I guess the economy is picking up.
    I'll live with the full freight price. When's a good meet up time? I'll be the shotr old guy with the long hair.....
    I usually meet up with grbeck and andre1969 around 9:30 - 10 AM. I'm kind of tall with a mustache and glasses and will be wearing an olive green coat.
    Hey guys,

unfortunately I can't make Philly at all this time around. :cry: So, have fun without me, and try to take some pics! Fezo, hopefully I get to finally meet you one of these days!
    Hey, come on! I can't believe this!

Well, lemko and I will have a good time in your absence. I'd ask him for his address, park at his house and go from there but that would leave him with a Toyota in front of his house and I wouldn't want to be part of the psychological damage that would cause. :D
    I'd ask him for his address, park at his house and go from there but that would leave him with a Toyota in front of his house and I wouldn't want to be part of the psychological damage that would cause.

Well, Lemko's seen me drive up in my uncle's Corolla, as well as ridden in Grbeck's Accord, and I don't think either act has left any permanent scarring. :shades:
    Well, that's good to know.

Now why the heck aren't you coming?
    lemko - I'll be in a leather jacket with fleece trim and a Rutgers hat - unless I can find where I put my Edmunds hat from I think the 01 New York show.
    If anyone will be there on this Sunday (1/29) you will be able to pick me out really easy. I'll be the only person in Philly wearing a Detroit Lions cap.

Odie
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    sorry Fez, I didn't have this thread watched.

Couldn't go this weekend anyway. I am going next weekend though, most likely not until Sunday though to work with my Daughter's schedule.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Sunday would be a no for me. Super zzbowl zsunday with the Giants in it! Ah!

Have fun.
    here is a link to my Facebook Album for "Car Pictures". I have the setting as public, so you would be able to look at the pictures. Start with the Blue Shelby GT500 and go from there for this years pictures (since I have other car pictures in there too). Unfortunately my camera was having some moments and some of the pics came out blurry. I didn't notice it till I got home.

Facebook Photo Album - Car Pictures

Odie
    Oh, don't worry. I will be ensconsed in my chair with a cold beer in plenty of time for the SB. I am not missing the Giants game for anything, even cars!

My plan is to be there by about 10, do the show, and grab lunch on the way out (Yum, cheesesteaks! Might have to go hit Oscars, if it is still there) and be home by 3 at the latest.

Damn, stick. Don't do that to me! Tempting......
    sadly, went from being a family affair to a solo trip.

Wife had a stomach virus last night, and is spending the day in bed. Daughter did not feel like it either.

not as much fun alone, but not the first time!

Everyone I know around here has at least one person sick in the family. My SIL came down with something which killed our Super Bowl plans. Now one of my 10 year olds has a bug so I'll be staying put.

You'll love the Dart among loads of other things.
    Just out of curiosity, how big did the Dart look? Lemko said I should hold off on any kind of purchase until I see it, because it looks a lot better in person.

I once said that I'd never buy another Dart, because between the '69 GT I bought back in September 1989 and the '68 Dart 270 that finally got towed away in December 2009, I've been dealing with 'em for 20 years, so I'm kinda Darted out!

But, I never in a million years thought they'd bring the name back. And, who knows? Maybe it will be a cool car.
    It did look cool.

To me, it looked bigger than it probably really is. Really looked mid sized, but you really need to see it in context to tell. But, very stylish, and not in a gaudy overdone way (like some Hyundais say). Should wear well.

Looks about 10x more expensive than a Caliber or Neon ever did.

so, might seem small to you, but big to me!

Style-wise, the only part of the Dart I don't like is the rear, starting in the back doors and working back. It's like the car doesn't know whether it wants to be a hatchback or a sedan. And there just seems to be too much sheetmetal in that area above the rear wheel opening, an area that, IMO, can make a car look awkward.

But, I've seen pics of it that make it looks clumsy, and pics that make it look good. I'll just have to wait until I see one in person, I guess! Be kinda cool if they'd offer it in a stripper 170 level, nicer 270, sporty GT, and high-performance GTS!
    the tailights are cool at least. And the one on display in Philly was a white R/T.

Oh, yeah, I think the taillights themselves are way cool! If not the overall rump of the car. But, I'll at least check it out when it's on the market. I've been thinking about trying a smaller car next time around, anyway. Something perhaps Altima/Accord/Fusion sized. But, if the Dart feels adequate enough, I'd give it a shot.
    the new fusion was sharp also. Looked big to me though. Probably the shape.

made the new malibu look dowdy and old fashioned in comparison.

Yeah, I love the tail lights!

It's great to see Chrysler back in nice design.
    From what I've seen of the pics, the 2013 Fusion looks pretty nice. Oddly, that front-end reminds me of a '57-59 Chrysler 300 Letter Series! And I love that light blue color that I'm seeing in some of the pictures.

I've never had a Ford product in my life, but I could see myself being happy with one of those Fusions. I have a feeling that the next couple years or so are going to be kinda exciting, for new cars.
    there is actually a lot of neat stuff out now. I sat in a Camry, and it seemed more modern, but I still thought it was a lousy design. Not for me. But the other cars in this class are stepping up to the table. I love the Passat.

The Altima know is a dinosaur (they must be redoing that soon I would think).

And the B class is getting to be cut throat too.

The front end of the 2013 Fusion reminds me of an Aston-Martin. I can't see you in a Ford. You're more the Mopar-Poncho type. I've had a few Ford products. It only reinforces the reason I'd stick with GM or consider Chrysler.
    edited February 2012
    As far as the show was concerned, it was fantastic. I went on Friday, the day it opened to the public and up until around 1-2PM it wasn't really crowded at all. My wife and I finished the event and were back around fro a second time in about 3 hours.

What I noticed:

Out of all the displays there, the one that stood out was definitely the Chrysler display. They had three tracks set up, one for riding, not driving :( in a selection of Chryslers and Fiat 500's, another for RAM trucks and the last for JEEP. The new Dart is very impressive, there was almost a dozen Grand Cherokees on the floor (which I am very interested in for my next vehicle) and the foot traffic around Chryslers new product was high. BTW, I also must vote Chrysler as the most improved interior. The 300 for instance now has the interior to match the exquisite exterior. There wasn't a Chrysler product there that wasn't as good or better than the competition IMO.

Which leads me to most disappointing and that award has got to go to Acura. I'm sorry, but I am a very big fan of Honda and their new product has got to be the most uninspiring, most dull and most disappointing in years. The new RDX and ILX are about as exciting as what i saw at Mitsubushi and Suzuki. Seriously, Kia had more features, more content and better interiors than these new Acura models. That was a shock and a half for me. Especially the RDX which not only has rims that look like they were taken from the CR-V but the exhaust tips tucked under the bumper made the back end look like a CR-V. There's a V6 under there? Btw, the ILX exterior was a little more interesting, but the single exhaust tip like the one from the Civic that it is based on was a blatant cost-cutting.

Speaking of Honda, their stuff wasn't as disappointing and their foot traffic was very impressive for not having a fresh lineup. The CR-V especially was crowded and the Accord Coupe concept was busy. The new Civics were also notably crowded.

Toyota on the other hand, wow. It was pretty much a ghost town. Sure there were a few checking out the new Camry (Very impressive btw, best in class IMO except for poor headroom, especially the SE) and some activity around the Highlander and Sienna but outside of that. eerily quiet. Their trucks were seeing activity, forgot to mention that.

But Lexus? Awesome. And very packed. The new LF-LC gets my award for best in show, just a smidge ahead of the new SLS convertible. The concept is breathtaking IMO, loved it. What was funny is they had 4 LF-A's on display and the LF-LC makes them look boring. :surprise: Well, not boring, but let's just say they weren't as noticable...
    Speaking of the SLS, over at Mercedes, they had the second best and most popular of the German Big 3 with an impressive array of their high end products for show. The new SLS was even on the floor to look at but unfortunately it was locked :cry: The new CLS, man what a ride. They also had a baddass E-wagon in the AMG trim which was super crowded. Honorable mention for the new SLK which I really liked the improvements over the old one.

Audi was easily the best of the G-3. They had so many vehicles (I liked how they were all gray while the "hot" ones were in red). YOu could even get up close and personal with an R8 although it too was locked :mad: They were rdidiculously crowded and almost impossible to get into. The new A7 especially, man that thing has presence. Their interiors are still as nice as always and their product was top notch for all pricepoints. The A3 was the only disappointment for me because it just was so cramped and didn't have that heft of their other products (for instance the doors seemed flimsy and their controls not as fluid)

BMW, they were OK but nothing really spectacular. The new 3-series is fantastic, the interiors have warmed up a bit and the features were pretty good for the price. Love the new 3-er myself.
    Already mentioned my disappointment with Acura and the successs over at Lexus, but what I was surprised about was how little interest there was at the Infiniti display. Even the new JLX was getting a cold reception. The G was seeing a few people but the most popular one they had on display was the QX of all things.

At Infiniti's parent brand, Nissan, things were different. There were only one variation of each vehicle in their lineup on the floor and they were seeing moderate action. Even the Murano convertible in all it's ugliness was seeing traffic. They had a GT-R there too (which was locked, dammit) which I was pretty pyched to check out for the first time.

Subaru, they are a serious contender for the japanese big 3 now IMO and I would even go so far as to remove Honda from the tier and replace them with Subie. Seriously, and not because I am a fan, but because their product hasn't been this strong ever. The new Impreza is a solid contender in the class and for the price, 22 grand fro a loaded hatch that has AWD and gets 36mpg highway is unbeatable. The interior is also much improved over the outgoing model and the features/content is outstanding for the price. Rear seat leg room rivals my wifes Outback btw :surprise: ... Oh and the new BR-Z will be very successful. That thing had more attention than the entire Mazda display next to it. I want one, badly.

Over at mazda, ya it was quiet. Outside of the new SkyActive booth and the new CX-5, there wasn't much to see at Mazda. Shame, because the MX-5 is still such a great car, especially in the space dept. for such a small car. The new CX-5 btw, is really, really nice. I would certainly put it in contention for class leader behind the new CR-V and the new Escape.

Mitsu and Suzuki had less visitors than the amount of people that were in the bathroom at the time...
This discussion has been closed.