Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-5

Comments

• purduempurduem Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know whether you can have roof rails installed on the CX-5? Is this an option provided by Mazda, or via aftermarket?

Thanks...
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    It is a Mazda accessory. I believe they are going for $250, but shows in the brochure as 'late availability" so may not be out yet. In any case, you can throw them on later.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    Has anyone had the opportunity of driving the CX-5 in the mountains? I am looking at a Grand Touring model and really need to know how it performs in the Colorado mountains since we go to Breckenridge on a yearly basis.
  • rayofvictoryrayofvictory Member Posts: 3
    What is with the options and the manual transmission. Is it too much to ask for a moon roof, bose audio, leather seats in the sports trim? I am willing to pay for those features.

Why Mazda, why?!
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,433
    I agree. Not everyone that wants a stick is also a tight wad that wants a stripper model!

I have run into this with many cars over the years.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I third that. Exact same boat. They (everybody) keep taking away the loaded stick shift models.

I want a drivers car that is not a stripper. I would like power seats (more adjustment) and leather.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I understand the Focus can now be had with a stick in the higher trim levels.
    step in the right direction with the focus. I think the Cruze is the same way - you can special order a stick on any trim. Nice to see than. Unfortunately both have almost no room in the rear seat. Will see what the Fusion offers - I am sure the Malibu won't offer a stick.
  • 62vette62vette Member Posts: 19
    Has everyone asking for a stick driven the manual transmission? I didn't get a feel in the stick I had to have it. Granted my car with a stick is a sports car which the CX-5 is not and will never be. Even if they had it in the higher models not sure if I would opt for it.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Could I ask what happened to your CX-7? Driving the same model w/ 85,000 miles. Thinking about trading in toward the CX-5.
    Did your Nissan Murano have problems with the transfer case/ CVT transmission leaking or slipping?
  • holytoledoholytoledo Member Posts: 5
    No it did not, but it did have an under warranty repair to leaking head gasket (50K). A 3K bill under warrantly. I liked the car, but was concerned with the CVT approaching 100K given that problem and the press on that issue.

Something about the Mazdas I really like...the handling and steering. Very nice in the CX-5.

If I didn't live in a congested area (N. Dakota?) I'd pick up the Grand Touring with a stick. Zoom-zoom.
    Wish you could get a grand touring with a stick.
    A relative just bought an 07' Murano SL AWD w/ 50,000 miles and seems like a more luxurious car than the MAzda-(different class-of course) but the gas is only about 19~20 MPG. With all the bad press about the CVT transmission-I can understand why you decided to move on to another car.
  • stan6201stan6201 Member Posts: 26
    After test driving three different types of automatics (CVT, DSG and the auto in the CX-5) I do not understand what you folks feel like you are missing. The trannies in the Focus, Impreza and CX-5 all offer a manual mode that provides gear control when wanted and slushbox ease when needed. The power loss and mileage penalties of old are no longer a problem. Enlighten me, please
    You can still push one, pop the clutch and get it started if your battery is dead or starter is bad. Not a good enough reason for me but to some it may make a difference. Also, some people just like the direct control and can get more zip out of the engine versus the slippery gear changes of the auto even when shifted with the "manumatic". But you're right, the average driver can do just as well with the auto.
    edited April 2012
    Really? :confuse:

There is no comparison. The stick is faster by a noticeable margin (see consumer reports tests of automatics vs sticks).

The stick offers much better control and is much better in the snow for that reason - it will never shift when you don't want it to - ever.

If you get stuck, you can rock a stick by engaging and disengaging the clutch. Too cumbersome to shift from drive to reverse in an automatic - too much delay.

You can be in the right gear exactly when you want - autosticks always hesitate before shifting.

You can skip gears - autosticks are all sequential.

You can tow it with no problem if it breaks down.

You can push start - see above.

$1,000 cheaper to buy.

Use less gas in real world testing (epa tests favor automatics - check any source that tests real world mpg like CR).

The car is usually 50-70 lbs lighter in the front - handling is therefore better.

Much easier to hypermile if you are so inclined.

Much cheaper to replace a clutch than an automatic transmission.

People won't borrow you car.

To me there is absolutely no reason anybody should even consider an automatic. It does nothing better. Correction - it is easier to text while driving an automatic. :shades:

A few numbers below.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/save-gas-and-money-with-a-manual-tran- smission/index.htm
    To me there is absolutely no reason anybody should even consider an automatic. It does nothing better.

You had me until you said the above. In very congested large cities and if one has to commute long distances in stop and go traffic, the stick can be absolutely tireseome and a pain in the leg if not the [non-permissible content removed]. Believe me, I love a stick but after crawling for hours several times in snowstorms or because of accidents, I swore I would never have a stick again until I no longer had to commute in rush hour.
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    LOL! A stick in any major metro area, be it fom LA to Manhattan, can be complete annoyance, as was once attested to by none other than the stick-living folks at Car and Driver who were about to get off the 405 in LA after 2 hours of stop and go in a BMW (with an increasingly vague odor of clutch burn) and head to the nearest Hertz office for a Taurus and a dual foot message!
    I did say "to me" there are no advantages. Those who choose to live in gridlock are certainly free to have a different view.

If you are in gridlock for two hours every day, then you have much bigger problems regardless of transmission. My condolences.

Traffic is a complete annoyance regardless of transmission.

In stop and go, just put it in second gear and you are good from a crawl up to a decent speed - just drive evenly and don't floor it till you are right on the bumper of the guy in front. Not driving evenly is a major contributor to poor traffic anyway. Yes the occasional person may pull in front of you - no big deal.

Anyway - at least VW still offers a fairly complete stick lineup. Mazda and Honda have fallen back, and Toyota is almost out of the game. Just wished Mazda took the zoom zoom motto more to heart.
    I did say "to me" there are no advantages.

No, you stated "To me there is absolutely no reason anybody should even consider an automatic." I simply gave a good reason. Might not be right for you but it certainly can be a reason for others. Wow, how condescending you sound to those that have to work for a living in metropolitan areas. Lots of people may not have much of a choice due to profession or family.

And please, forgo the beginners lesson on how to drive a stick in traffic. I've driven stick for 45 years and know how to do it. Again, very condescending. Please don't be a "stick snob". Just accept that there are different strokes for different folks and try not to put anyone down for what transmission they use or where they live.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Agree wholeheartedly! "Stick lovers" have a tendency to be that way....rather annoying, to say the least. Wonder where "dudley do-right" lives to make such comments. Even the Mazda salesmen I've talked to can't understand why anyone would want to but a stick. Makes NO sense in today's driving environment.....err, unless you live in N Dakota..... ;)
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I have found the same to be true with auto snobs like yourself. " I don't want a stick so nobody should want one." "I don't want a stick so they shouldn't sell them." Most of those people haven't even driven a stick yet they know all about them and hate them. If I lived in very heavy urban traffic I probably wouldn't buy one either, but in suburban or mixed driving, I like it far better than any auto.

Mazda advertises its sporting image, so they need to offer the stick in at least the Touring if not the Grand Touring. The people I know who drive sticks and want sticks these days are not the stripper model buyers. The stripper models are for the first car and young types. Most of those buyers have never driven and don't want a manual.

This, I believe is where the car companies, don't understand the manual transmission buyer. On the CX-5 not only is it offered in the Sport only, but you are limited in color choices on the exterior, black interior only, and no bluetooth package. Basically they are saying we don't want to sell any, and then when we eliminate manuals on the CX-5 probably next year, it was because there was no market for manuals not because we marketed the manuals poorly.
    Most of those people haven't even driven a stick yet they know all about them and hate them

I really don't think you have any idea whether anybody has or hasn't driven a stick. And I really don't see too many people that like auto trannies on these forums that try to convince everybody that they are the best thing since sliced bread. It is almost always the other way around.

If I lived in very heavy urban traffic I probably wouldn't buy one either, but in suburban or mixed driving, I like it far better than any auto

That's great. But that doesn't mean everyone that has surburban or mixed driving SHOULD drive a stick. You just like it better and that's fine. Others may like an automatic even in those situations and that's fine too. I would probably have at least one stick in my household but my wife absolutely refuses to learn to drive one and she also refused to have a vehicle in the garage that she can't drive. I know, it sounds terrible but she has other good points.

I agree that nobody should be a stick snob or an auto snob. There are absolutely pros and cons for each but a lot of stick lovers usually don't want to admit thereare any cons to a stick. I never could figure out why they seem to want to cram it down everyone's throat like they are on some kind of mission to change the world.

Now, as to the availability of manual trannies in higher level versions of many cars. I also agree that one should be able to get the vehicle they want with all the bells and whistles. They should at least be available for special order. I know a lot of dealers don't like the loaded sticks because, in the past, they have sat and sat and they usually had to take a beating on them. Therefore the didn't order them and the manufactures stopped making them. So there is a reason for not stocking them but NOT a reason IMO to not have them available for spec order.
    Agree with about everything you say. I have never said:

everyone that has surburban or mixed driving SHOULD drive a stick.

In recent years, I do see a number of posters say now the automatics get better gas mileage and the auto is really smooth so there are no reasons to buy manuals. I haven't seen anyone post in this group to eliminate the autos in the CX-5.

I have never said you must drive only a manual and you have to like it.

Then again, for those who buy something like a Miata with an auto, I truly just don't understand since fun sporty driving is the whole point of a Miata.
    I wasn't insinuating that you had said anything about whether somebody SHOULD drive a stick or not. I was just stating that nobody should say that just because one doesn't have to drive in very urban traffic.

Yeah, any real sports car lends itself to be the most fun and interactive with a stick. However, there are those that would even get an auto in those and then you have the bashers that like to say they shouldn't. Gets real tiring after awhile. I think only about 10% or less of BMWs are sold with stick and they are supposed to be the ultimate driving machines. Which means? Not a lot, just that people still like sportiness but don't want to work at it. No problem with that either. Purists get all upset but if that bothers them so much they need some real problems. ;)
  • 62vette62vette Member Posts: 19
    I see the need and love for stick shifts, like in the case of my corvette.

I am sure there are people that will only drive stick shifts and I get that also. MY on comment is on relating to a CX-5 the stick did not excite me. I drove both on the same day and did not feel the stick added a huge amount of performance. Just my 2 cents.

I still have the same question, anyone out there lease this car yet?
  • wijodywijody Member Posts: 3
    It does really bug me that all these cars advertise the MPG based on stick but then only offer the stick on the base model. The local dealer I've been talking to doesn't even have any manual trans CX5's on their lot, nor on order. Why do I want stick? Because it's fun and because based on the way I drive stick, I can get that better MPG and that's important to me.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Member Posts: 2,743
    Actually, these days they're more likely to advertise the MPGs of the automatic because they're higher. Bottom line is that they'll advertise whichever number will make them look better than the competition, which is why Mazda advertises the FWD manual MPG on the CX-5, but the automatic MPG on the Mazda3 SkyActiv.
    None of the models of cars I've been comparing are higher for AT and I've just been annoyed that most of them only offer MT on the base models. It just feels like false advertising when an ad shows the car loaded with everything and then touts the MPG like it applies to that car, yet you can't even get that car except a stripped down version and still get that mpg.

I wonder why the skyactive AT is 1 mpg higher for mazda3 but several mpg lower on the cx5?
    Many have sought the answer to that divine mystery, but none have returned with the prize. :shades:
    lol :)

I hate car shopping ;) This was my first choice and then drove a VW Sportwagen, which I really liked a lot (I found the CX5 a bit hard to see out the back, but it might just take getting used to (?)) ... VW reliability does make me nervous, though, since I tend to keep my cars awhile.
  • dwink9909dwink9909 Member Posts: 2
    ... my local Mazda dealership is weak, both in sales and service. Totally non-responsive to my in-person inquiry about a CX-5 Sport 6MT. Maintained my 04 Mazda 3 Hatch 5MT myself as a result, and have no confidence that they have improved.

Poor CX-5 Sport 6MT roll-out. Only three colors (black, gray or silver) really!? Only 13 Sport MTs available within 300 miles, with a stock level of 300 total. I suppose I should be pleased that any manual version is available at all, since the Ford Escape is "automatic only." I don't think so.

Finally, Mazda's weak financial situation. After losing $1 billion last year and closing their Michigan assembly plant, while building a Mexican plant to help them out of their exchange rate induced losses, it remains to be see whether Mazda will find the partner they seem desperate for, or join Saab, Pontiac and Plymouth on the once great auto badge list.

So I opted for a C platform hatchback with five more horsepower, two inches less wheelbase, three hundred pounds less weight and costing roughly $3,500 less money, and pulled the trigger on a Focus SE Hatchback Sport Package 5MT. Love this smooth, quiet and responsive European Ford with its row-your-own transmission.

Let the flaming begin...
  • pppkpppk Member Posts: 5
    I bought a cx5 AT, and I'm getting 25.3 in city driving. I think it's well and good from what Mazda claims for
    Didn't that just get recalled? :shades:

Seriously, the Focus is a nice ride, I test drove it and liked how it handled, and it's got great options. However, I've disqualified it from my search due to the smallish gas tank. And because there's a lighter hatchback coming this summer with the same MPGs but 200 HP. :P
  • smithsm1984smithsm1984 Member Posts: 1
    The Focus SE w/sport pack is a nice ride. I hate the way they did the interior, though. Somehow this vehicle is wider than my 2006 Focus, yet feels a little more cramped inside and has a smaller trunk (hatch does solve that).

I was looking forward to the Focus but I crossed it off my list because of interior volume. My knee bumps on the console of my current Focus, I'd like a car in which I don't have that problem.

I also think the CX-5 actually drives better, due to the slick 6-speed and more communicative steering. The Focus feels more refined than the larger CX-5, but the CX-5 feels more maneuverable than the smaller Focus.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    edited April 2012
    Car snob?? LMAO! The OP thought rather high of himself and those who drive sticks as compared to the rest of us! You sir, are a "jabroni" - look it up! If manual transmissions were so popular (or even practical in today's driving environment) with drivers there would be a larger demand be. Face it, you're in the minority so take you're "holier than thou" attitude and well....use your imagination. It takes a bit to rile me up but you've done it..... :mad:

Talk about a "car snob"....look in the mirror!..... :P
    Please grow up and then you can post with the rest of us adults.

Jabroni expert, how mature! Tell mommy, you are on the computer again.
  • essjaeessjae Member Posts: 1
    I know this has been brought up before, but I'm wondering if anyone else has the same issue. I just purchased my CX-5 Touring with the moonroof/Bose and noticed that when I was listening to the radio (HD) that the sound would randomly change from the majority of sound coming from the front center speaker to all of a sudden surround (much nicer) sound from multiple speakers. And back and forth. I'm not sure if it's the radio's broadcasting issue or if it's something with my speaker or what.

Centerpoint option is not available with the FM radio, so I haven't messed with that at all. All the other sound options are default in the middle.

Any help or other experiences appreciated!
  • stan6201stan6201 Member Posts: 26
    The Bose is in 'full' Centerpointe operation with a CD and sounds real good in my CX-5. HD radio is very random in sound quality and most all other sources sound worse with the Bose system than the would with a traditional six speaker set-up.

Less than a year ago I ripped all my CDs to my computer and sold them. I can't blame that on Bose but it did alter our relationship.
  • stantonb1stantonb1 Member Posts: 51
    I have a 2011 CX-7 Grand Touring Turbo and it is just ok. Bought my wife a 2012 CX-5 with all wheel drive and find it to be under powered. Trying to enter the expressway is a bit scary. In city driving the gas mileage is outstanding. The dealer network in my opinion stinks. I have both vehicles serviced by a private mechanic. Think the paint job on the CX-7 brilliant black is of poor quality. The CX-5 in Stormy Blue is also lacking paint quality. I believe that 155 hp just doesn't move the CX-5 adequately.
    The 0-60 time compared to the CR-V is about .1 of a sec off. I see a lot of happy CR-V owners that don't complain about the acceleration so .1 sec shouldn't be that bad. I've heard you have to really punch it and give some revs to get it moving in the expressway entrance ramp scenario. I realize that is not something that many are used to but that is the price you pay for getting 30+ mpg on a CUV. From my understanding, it does have the juice at the higher revs so you just have to really goose it at times.
    Driving an 07' CX-7 w/ the 2.3 Turbo and the acceleration seems fine after the initial slight lag when stepping on the accelerator. Having never driven the CX-5- would assume it isn't a barn burner but probably has adequate acceleration in exchange for much better gas mileage.
  • stantonb1stantonb1 Member Posts: 51
    Our Cx-5 is still being broken in. Right after purchasing installed synthetic motor oil. Currently have under 2,000 miles. With the all wheel drive get combined city and highway of 25. I find the transmission to be biased toward low engine speeds. For me to get performance I have to accelerate hard and the transmission has to downshift not once but twice. I fell we got a very good deal Grand Touring with navigation for $28,750. Hard acceleration produces a great deal of engine noise.
    I took my wifes Mazda6 in for routine service today and took a nice long test drive of the CX-5. The Mazda6 has the 2.3L w/5spd auto tranny. The FWD CX-5 I drove is only about 150lbs heavier than our Mazda6 and has nearly identical HP/Torque ratings. The CX-5 did not feel quite as quick as the Mazda6 but not enough to worry about. Reports of this being underpowered are really just auto mag writers looking for something to [non-permissible content removed] about. The six speed auto is programmed for max MPG and when you consider that the EPA avg is 1mpg higher for the CX-5 than for the Mazda6 and the fact that it weighs a little more and is not quite so svelte moving through the air.....it does real good with just a touch of less oomph.

I was especially impressed with the solidness of the ride. It felt like a heavier vehicle as it soaked up the road imperfections. Road noise is considerably less noticeable than in our Mazda6 and is right on par with Infiniti SUV. Cornering was almost a flat as our Mazda6 which is pretty impressive for a CUV. I think this is a really nice vehicle that moves adequately and whenever the thought of wanting more grunt raises it's awful head, just thing about 30mpg on regular and it makes it much more bearable. I wasn't all that impressed with the Bose system however. We also have an older Infiniti QX4 that has the Bose system and it sounds subtantially better than the system in the CX-5. I'm not an audiophile so I could live with it, but I did notice the difference. Other fit and finish items were very good and the quality of the materials were on the higher end versus it's competitiors. I liked that the center console didn't look like a space ship and was easy to use and understand with real buttons and dials.

I could get used to driving this by just anticipating situations a little better and realizing that I'm not going to be racing other people away from stoplights very much. I don't do that now with the Mazda6 so it's not something that I would have to make a lot of adjustment for.
  • cx5txcx5tx Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a CX-5 and noticed that the rear wheel well lining is made up of a gray felt cloth like material. It looks and feels similar to the insulation material found inside door/body panels and does not look very durable or water resistant.

Is this normal or have they forgotten to remove a protective covering? It sure doesn't look like it can withstand any mud or gravel thrown by the wheels.

The front wheel wells look normal and are made of a hard plastic or metal.
    The dealer claims it's normal and that it's found in all CX5s in their lot.

Can any other CX-5 owner confirm this?
    edited April 2012
    I'm not an owner but have just test driven one and have looked them over extensively. I mentioned this in an earlier post in this forum a few weeks ago. It appears that it is just added sound insulation as there is solid panel behind it. It is a fiber mat material that can absorb both sound and stones hitting it to quell the noise. It looks like it would dry quickly if gotten wet and mud would dry and flake/drop off it.
  • j500j500 Member Posts: 1
    Do you think it is possible to carry two kayaks on a roof rack and two bikes on the back of the CX 5? How badly would the handling/excellaration be effected? Thanks
  • jlsflajlsfla Member Posts: 4
    just bought a new 2013 CX-5 this afternoon!!!!!! live in northeast Florida. It is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS. Black with a rather light tan interior which does look pretty. Comfortable seats(I'M 5'8" tall ) and the power seats give me plenty of room to push back. Nice telescoping steering wheel that put the driving completely in my hands. The radio sounds great with vol. control right at my left hand fingertips, AC was definitely keeping me cool on a nice hot FLA day. I am impressed with the overall look on the inside. it looks very finished and though it might not be as fancy as some other models i like the position of everything and simplicity of it. I LOVE the positive feel of the steering and the sense of heaviness on the interstate much better than the Honda CRV and Toyotas I drove. I traded in my Honda Odyssey and except for the fact that this is a 4 cyl compared to my V6 in the Ody it performs great. Drove on the interstate to test drive and it has NO problem merging into traffic and certainly keeping pace with all the others doing 70+ in fact speed sneaks up on the quickly so you have to watch it due to it being so quiet on the inside! when you start the motor you don't know the vehicle is running...other touches such as Sirus radio, blue tooth, and the 3 yr 36000 mile road side assistance free plus back up camera far better than Honda....all in all it's a vehicle you need to look at....and gas mileage is supposed to be very good.....of course since i'm a new owner i will have to give this a few weeks to see if i have anything i don't like and it will be a few weeks before i take a long road trip but at this point i think Mazda has done a great job on this vehicle...will post more after i have a few more miles under my tires :). Please give it a looksee!