Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Comments

• mikea11414mikea11414 Member Posts: 33
    Hi,

Does anybody know if the 2013 SF's have electric folding mirrors, turn signals on the mirrors, pre-set drivers seating for 2 drivers, automatic hatch release from inside, power passeger seat?

Thanks
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Check the hyundainews links in my first post. All your answers can be found there, along with a lot more info. ;)
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    I'm a little prejudiced as a current Santa Fe owner, but I'm happy to see the car was finally introduced after all the rumors the last year and a half. I wonder about the 4 cyclinder engine, however. I've been driving V6's and like being able to merge on freeways without fear and steer/accelerate out of trouble quickly if I need to do so. The Sport SUV has been lightened by 500 pounds, if I understand correctly, which should help. (The full size Santa Fe would be too large for my needs). After seeing that the Tucson V-6 was scrapped, I'm not surprised to see it out of the Santa Fe Sport, too. Any word on colors besides silver and the orange/copper?
    I haven't seen anything about colors yet. Probably won't see that until near launch time.

Check this out for a little more info http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/future-cars/2013/santa-fe/

I have an 08 SF Limited AWD and that Sport Turbo AWD looks nice! Maybe nice enough to make me trade-in! ;)
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    I have a 2012 AWD Santa Fe with a 4 cylinder engine. Yes it is a bit under-powered - not horribly so but it does have a lack of 'omph' on steep hills. Looks like the 2013 have about a 5% increase in horsepower but a 2% increase in weight so its probably very similar. Looks like the smaller Sport version is about 400-500 pounds lighter.

(I guess the Tuscon is being discontinued in favor of the SF Sport?)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited April 2012
    The way I understand it, the Veracruz has been discontinued and is being replaced by the 2013 Santa Fe.

Not sure what the Santa Fe Sport replaces (other than a perceived hole in the lineup I guess - you know, the one where the Tucson now sits. Going to get a bit crowded in there).

2012 New York Auto Show: 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe and Santa Fe Sport (Straightline)
    The 2013 Santa Fe Sport is comparable to the current SF in wheelbase and length (2013 Sport 106.3/184.6 and 2012 SF are the same). The Tucson is a little smaller at 103.9/173.2. The 2013 Santa Fe(not Sport) is 110.2/193.1 and is a 7 seater only. So they cover the same Tucson/Santa Fe/Veracruz market, just it is now Tucson/Santa Fe Sport/Santa Fe.
    edited April 2012
    Ah I see. I was confused: I thought the SF Sport was smaller but its really the same size as the "old" Santa Fe but a little lighter.
  • roxyticoroxytico Member Posts: 1
    From what I have read and seen, the 2013 Santa Fe benefits from being around 300 lbs. lighter, improving its fuel economy by a few mpg. It looks dramatically different both inside and out. I wish they had kept the round fog lights, as the new grill looks a tad too ostentatious - with its "storm fluidic" styling. However, the rear end looks streamlined, and the interior appears to be improved, with a nice shift knob and the nav and audio better integrated. One concern is that the new steering wheel is shaped like an upside down peace sign - should be less ergonomic and not allow the driver to rest one hand on the bottom of the wheel- as many often do. There appears to be a nice metallic green/grey color offered with beige interior trim. I was going to purchase a 2012 santa fe limited v6 with my girlfriend, but we are waiting to test drive the SF Sport Turbo. Additional features like the Power Passenger Seat, better fuel economy, and improved panoramic sunroof persuaded us to wait and see.

I believe it's a NO to electric folding mirrors &
    pre-set drivers seating for two.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    saw my first production model today at a dealer in NJ. a white 2.0t, without the roof/navi package. Looks a lot more stylish than the old model for sure.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• mikea11414mikea11414 Member Posts: 33
    That's it for me...my next car will have electrical folding mirrors and 2 driver seat memory..Hyundai has lost me as a customer.
  • s618s618 Member Posts: 15
    Test drove a 2013 sport 2.0T with nav , back up camera today . Had a panoramic sunroof . BEAUTIFUL car - drove very well - has 3 different steering modes , comfort ( my fav ) sport and i forgot the last one .
    I was unable to see / use the nav as they had the sim/sd card out of it - apparently it has an SD card that you update maps on your computer - Dealer needs more training on the ins and outs of this car but had a pretty good ideas . overall quality vehicle . push button start - sticker was $36020

I am comparing this to an acura RDX and its very nice -- the turbo however is recommended for 91 gas and better - not loving that but its the same for the 2013 rdx.
    sounds like us. My wife wants an RDX bad, but I held her off waiting until we could drive the Santa Fe. We had a chance to see it a couple of months back (we know a guy in Hyundai corporate, and he had a pre production model to sample).

we have not had a chance yet to go drive one. My wife wants to try out both engines back to back, just to see if the Turbo is really necessary.

• s618s618 Member Posts: 15
    The engine was very peppy , I asked about if the turbo would require 91 gas and he stated it would get better mileage but they were not perfectly versed in the car yet . I know the Rdx recommends it
    I am torn I really thnk they will put incentives on this car . I really wish it had the power lift gate . There is a spot on the key fob but it wasn't active .
    The sunroof is really nice ! Will keep you posted .thanks
    My wife and I are planning to head down to the local dealer Saturday morning. Hopefully they have both models available to drive.

Here's Autoweek's take on the 2013 SF Sport...

Autoweek
    seems like they enjoyed it.

My wife and I took a short test drive Saturday (a FWD turbo) and hope to go back to try out an QWD base this week. We liked it. Comfortable, drove nice. But, it was a fairly short, around the block type drive, so we did not get a chance to explore highway manners or really push it.

took a 2.4 AWD out tonight. Did my best to accelerate hard where I could. Seemed to have plenty of pull, and got up to 50 quick. Engine was smooth. Really did not notice any difference in around town use vs. the turbo, though obvious flat out it is faster.

my wife seemed pretty happy with it, and seemed fine with the 2.4 engine. Cheaper to buy, better MPG, probably less risk down the road without a turbo. I also like that it has 17" instead of 19" wheels.

so, at least 1 decision down. I think she was good with just going with the FWD too (cheaper, better MPG, etc.), since we have always been fine with a FWD minivan, and have no real need to add AWD now.

we also saw the Marlin blue (though it was dark, and hard to see, wife liked it since it was a dark blue). Need to go back in the daylight.

so, that leaves deciding on roof/navi or not.

oh, and whether to get a santa fe or an RDX!

• mike159mike159 Member Posts: 4
    Did anyone notice that on the 4cy w/o the turbo you get those wheels that look like they need to be washed because of break dust? I'm not sure why the designers did this unless it is to steer sales to the higher loaded models. The Cabo Bronze color is great and the Mineral Gray. No doubt, it's going to be a game changer.
    I like the platinum wheels. Look nice with the colors you mentioned (which are 2 of the ones that we were deciding between, the other being blue).

I like the mineral the best.

• mike159mike159 Member Posts: 4
    It's funny about the colors because they are very similar to what's on the BMW's and Mercedes, so good for us that we get premium colors. I'd drive the Canyon Copper, but it would because it was a heck of a deal.
    Saw a few SF Sports at my local dealer last night. Didn't get a chance to sit in any, but from the outside--SHARP! May have to reconsider keeping my 08 SF now. They had a few in the Mineral Grey, Marlin Blue. Also had one in the Frost Pearl(?) White. SWMBO and I both thought it looked sharp. Now if I cash in all my pennies... ;)
    only had a couple of short drives, but it was very nice to drive.

• ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Test drove a Turbo & non-turbo Santa Fe AWD's , thought they both drove out nice, liked the power of the turbo version, and to me it felt smoother overall- engine and ride.

Never thought to check on fuel requirement, not of fan of premium fuel only requirements if that is true.

I would like to see Hyundai offer some separate options, rather than bundles as it appears the only way to get the panoramic sunroof is with getting all 3 option packages, don't really need navi or leather.

Interesting to see the longer Santa Fe to compare before making any commitment but overall the '13 Santa Fe models have my attention.

Will be interested in seeing real-world mpg figures as these get out on the roads.
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Just checked out a turbo too. Salesman said the turbo uses regular. That's nice. I cant see the economics of buying premium.
    I'm debating FWD and AWD too. We do get some snow here in Eastern Pa so I'm thinking by the second storm i'll wish I had the AWD if I don't get it

I'm wondering how much over invoice i'll need to offer. Edmunds has it about $600 I think.
  • jtarchitectjtarchitect Member Posts: 1
    Just got a '13 sport fwd 2.4, mineral grey with platinum wheels. First to purchase the car in Iowa. Bought one as soon as they dropped on the lot. Car flat out looks amazing, next to any other small suv in this price range out there. I'd been researching these for over a month and put it up against the new escape, terrain, cr-v, rav4, ford edge, tiguan, prius V, subaru outback"> (sorry acura/bmw/caddy were too much a this time). It flat out was better in almost every category! Car rides great, was sold on the fwd as awd only helps you if you get stuck, the stability control and all that will keep the car just as straight as awd. The extra MPG is worth it. Took it for a 200 mile round trip this weekend with the a/c blowing hard at interstate speed 70mph and got 33.5mpg with eco mode. Got 35+ mpg on normal highway portion of the ride at 60mph. The interior is much nicer than any of the other cloth versions out there. Of course leather is better, but the stain resistant new seats are incredibly comfortable compared to my trade in (2005 cadillac cts w/ leather). Dont have all the bells and whistles this car is capable of and it still stands out! Amazing car so far and worth consideration. The warranty is also a great selling point!
    Off topic: I' never understood people's fascination with leather seats. In the winter they are ice cold and they are sticky in the summer -- and just in general make my butt sweat! Aside from prestige, I just don't get it.
    I have both and much prefer the cloth. If I had kids or dogs (or better leather?) maybe I'd like it better.
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I am spoiled. I won't buy a car without leather. You just need to get cooled seats for the summer and heated for the winter.

Anyway I own a 2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and a 2009 Ford Fusion SEL V6. I owned a 2011 Kia Sorento EX V6 for two years before trading it for the Toyota. Would still own the Kia if it wasn't for the harsh ride and ridiculous number of rattles. I just saw a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe Sport with temp tags on it this morning on the interstate. Really sharp and a huge improvement over the outgoing model. I am curious to see the longer version when it comes out. Not anywhere near being in the market for a new vehicle. Plan on keeping the Highlander for 8 years and the Ford another 4 to 5 years. Just love cars.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
    >Shrugs< To each his own I guess but cloth requires neither.
    edited September 2012
    Don't know of any OEM cooled cloth seats but heated cloth isn't unusual. You can do both if you go aftermarket, but the cooling is done with fans, not refrigerant. Well, I don't know if Hyundai's works that way too or if they use thermoelectric technology or air from the AC via ducts, or some combination. Different strokes, as you say.
    edited September 2012
    Just drove a 2.0 AWD SantaFe. Handles very well and is very quiet. Power is adequate. Solid heavy feel. Comfortable seats in leather but the cloth seats I tried out in another vehicle were not as comfortable. I really like the 18" gunmetal wheels. Suspension is fairly stiff.
    I'm debating FWD v AWD but planning to test drive an Edge too although that vehicle is $3000-5000 more expensive.
  • davesnedegardavesnedegar Member Posts: 2
    I'm seriously looking at the 2013 Santa Fe Sport now that the Ford Escape has been recalled for the third time. Just curious what kind of real world mileage people are getting with the smaller engine for both the AWD and FWD and does the ECO mode really help with MPG? Any regrets purchasing this SUV. I haven't driven one, but it seems to have the perfect amount of space with decent MPG.
    edited September 2012
    Remember, as has often been mentioned on this forum, that ECO mode is a misnomer. Its not something that makes the engine more efficient - it is merely an indicator that tells you if you are driving efficiently (ie the Eco light will go off if you are idling).

In mixed driving (2012 SF) I get 24 mpg and on a long highway trip this summer I got 26-27 mpg, which I think is pretty good for this size vehicle.
  • dk82310dk82310 Member Posts: 3
    I would definitely check out different dealerships to see what kind of promotions and sales they have and compare them. Ive talkedtalked to few salemen at my local dealers and they said because this car so new they do not have any special promotion. I called different place and the lady offered me take $900 off whichever vehicle i pick out. So spend time doing some research is definitely save some money.

Ive driven both turbo and non turbo santa fe. I thought they both very smooth and fast. Living in Minnesota I'd definitely get AWD. Bundle package is a drip off tactics, seriously. And they do not make black interior without a 2.4L, only comes with a turbo engine.
    "At this price point, the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport lines up directly with segment leaders like the Ford Escape and Honda CR-V. The former also offers a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder, while the latter simply does everything well. The newer, cleverer 2013 Santa Fe measures up favorably to both. If it can deliver on its excellent mileage numbers and remain as quiet as it did on the roads of rural Utah, this Santa Fe could be yet another well-executed piece of Hyundai's grand plan to compete head on with its foreign and domestic rivals."

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport First Drive (Inside Line)

I"m on the same page with you
    Bundles package is kind drip off ideas in my opinion. I think as customers we only have two options. Either You add popular package with leather & premium or just a popular package by itself. Last night I finally sat in the loaded Santa Fe and the sunroof was the best. It's a lot nicer than Nissan Murano sunroof
  • deedee55deedee55 Member Posts: 5
    I have had my car for about a month. I am very pleased with the handling. The gas mileage has ranged from around 23 to 29 so far. I am very happy overall with my car. I do have one minor issue with the brightness of the headlights. Even when on dim, I am constantly getting flashes from oncoming traffic because they are extremely bright. This is not something that you check out when looking at a car and it would not be a deal-breaker. I wonder if Hyundia has had other complaints about this. Otherwise, love this car. Lots of power, even for my finicky hubby!
  • chucko6chucko6 Member Posts: 81
    Anyone tried a new 2013 Sante Fe that owns a 2010-2012 model ? Need to know if the 6 Speed Tranny is still as primitive as the last version . Read somewhere that they are now being made "In House" rather than farmed out.
    Considering dumping my 2010 Limited but only if the Tranny has improved.
    Any Feedback would be appreciated .

Guess I'll have to eventually take a Test Drive.
  • johnjjjohnjj Member Posts: 81
    Perhaps the low beam lights just need to be adjusted to aim down a little more. Mention your problem to the dealer and ask them to check them.
    John
  • nelson1nelson1 Member Posts: 41
    I am thinking of the Santa Fe Sport 2013. I like the small CUVs, and I like the looks of the Santa Fe Sport. I now drive a 2011 Sonata 2.4, Ltd. The one complaint that I have had about this car is the fact that it is noisy, on the highway. I blame it on tires. No help from the dealer, not even sympathy, nor from the Kumho tire dealer. So, now, am I going to be facing the same noisy problem with this 2013 Santa Fe? I have not ridden in one, yet. Or, am I a fool for even considering another Hyundai, after my dealer's lack of support?
    I just purchased a FWD eventhough I live in MN. I think with these all season tires I'll be fine. Few things I'm not quite satisfied with the veh and people at the dealership where I bought my car at. The very next day I noticed some small scratches on the hood near the headlights and also two dry black paint lines running from upper windshield. My bad I didn't inspect the vehicle thoroughly. The person who did the delivery inspection failed to do his/her part as well. They promised to fix those areas. So learn my lesson don't pick up your veh late a nights because you can't see the exterior very well.
    The veh is loaded and I'm very suprised and disappointed the cargo screen didn't come with. At the different local dealership that I did test drive twice has exact same features as my veh and cargo screen would come with it.
    Over all I love the veh very much, sun/moon roof is my favorite.

Good luck to those that looking or tempting to buy santa fe,,highly recommended
    The cargo screen apparently was discontinued almost 2 years ago. Though you can probably still buy one online - I did earlier this year.
    PS I order it from Parts.com. Search the Hyundai accessory catalog for "cargo cover" be careful what color you are ordering, they come in beige or black only.
  • laxdesignlaxdesign Member Posts: 1
    yep,... I am still waiting for my SD chip to arrive. It seems Hyundai has shipped cars to the U.S. without the chip installed... I am one pissed off dude...
  • jayhawk8jayhawk8 Member Posts: 1
    I am driving the new Santa Fe as a loaner and love it. I am however looking to get some similar complaints about the brightness of the headlights and constantly getting flashed to dim them.
  • deedee55deedee55 Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a 2013 Santa Fe in August. I love the car, but I am not crazy about the brightness of the low-beam headlights. I believe the problem is the "eyebrow" lights. I do get flashes from oncoming traffic because of it. I also hate following a lower vehicle because the lights shine so brightly into their rear view mirror. When I take my car in for service in December, I am going to ask (based on a suggestion in this forum) if the headlights can be adjusted to point lower.