Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda CX-5 iPod Questions

melkerrmelkerr Member Posts: 1
Picked up my CX-5 yesterday and have attempted to play my 1st gen iPod nano via USB connection. I am using the white Apple-issue USB cord that came with my iPod. When I plug into the car's USB port, my iPod info comes up on the car's touch screen and it says a song is playing but I can't get any audio. This cable works fine when hooked to my computer. Am I supposed to be using a different cable? I can't find any info in the owner's manual!

Comments

• Options
    miggy35miggy35 Member Posts: 1
    dont no on the cx-5 i have mazda 3 and i have to put the radio in aux mode so it can work
  • Options
    werthammerwerthammer Member Posts: 1
    Several years ago I ordered a Honda Accord, 2-door coupe. The dealer told me that it would have to be delivered from another dealer some 120 miles away. He told me when they would be shipping the car so I drove to that dealer, hid out and then followed my new car to my dealer near my home. Well....the guy they had drive my car to my dealer got up to 90 mph in some places on the freeway, (great for a new engine), and never was conservative in his driving of "my new car."

To make a long story short, I refused delivery and had them send me one from the factory.

I'm getting ready to purchase a Mazda CX-5 and will follow the driver from Columbia, SC to my dealer here. If he doesn't drive it like a new car should be driven they can keep it. Beware.
  • Options
    vmalldervmallder Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am having the same problem with my iPod nano in my CX-5. Although, it didn't happen right away. I've had my CX-5 for about 4 weeks now and have been listening to music on my iPod the whole time up until just yeterday. I started the car, it came up saying it was reading the iPod, then it displayed the song as though it was playing, but it wasn't. Its like its in a permanent pause or something.

Did you ever get a response to your message. I have checked the owners manual and found nothing.

Thanks,
    Valerie
    :confuse:
  • Options
    godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Think you've posted in the wrong spot, ace! Note the subject matter re: I pods.... :confuse:
  • Options
    doug_in_jerseydoug_in_jersey Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my cx5 for over 1.5 years now and had no issue playing my Ipod. Out of the blue, my car now does not recognize the USB and does not connect with the Ipod. However, the Ipod does charge with the same connection. I purchased a new connector and still have the same issue. It's not the Ipod and it's not the connection.

HELP!

Doug
  • Options
    daverph1stdaverph1st Member Posts: 11
    I was going to buy a CX-5 Grand Touring in May of 2013 till i tried hooking up an ipod, iphone and ipad to the usb port to play songs and navigate playlists through the head unit. It took over 7 minutes of 'loading' to start playing a song for each device, each time they were connected or the car restarted. None of the devices picked up where the song was paused or stopped, they ll went bakc to their first song again. It took a while but i got them connected thru bluetooth, but there was only music playback, no playlist management or song info came through the head unit. The pandora feature did not work at all. All idevices were current models with latest firmware and apple oem usb cable. I tried another CX-5 with the same results. When i asked the dealer if i bought the car, could i get this head unit replaced or firmware updated when they fixed the software. He called me 2 days later and said that Mazda tech support said 'radio is working as designed and no fix is necessary', so i bought a new CR-V instead.

Now it's late October and i need to replace a different car, still liked everything else about the CX-5, but wanted to find out here if anyone knows if it is fixed yet or is Mazda still denying that there's a huge problem? I'm actually surprised there's nothing on this forum about it. Anyone have this problem in their 2014 and living with it by connecting through the headphone jack like we all did 10 years ago? Anyone get pandora to work? Didn't test an android phone, but if anyone knows it works i have an extra one that i could use as a music player.

I do a lot of driving, and listening to commercial free, high bit-rate music makes the time in the car more enjoyable. The CR-V system works flawlessly, as did the RAV-4 when I tested it last May. Could be time to check out a Forester if Mazda hasn't realized they are losing sales over these issues. Thanks for replying...
  • Options
    drjcool1drjcool1 Member Posts: 45
    Hi,

I am sort of in the same boat as you. I too am very interested in the 2014 CX-5 Grand Touring. I particularly like GPS/digital maps and I have heard such horror stories about the Mazda Tom Tom system. In particular this was talked about alot for the 2013 model. It is my understanding that the system hasn't changed. Is this correct? I would very much appreciate hearing real life experiences from folks out there who don't otherwise have an agenda against Mazda.

When all is said and done I may end up spending a little more and get an Acura RDX, but not quite sure yet.

I would love to hear other opinions!?

Thanks,
  • Options
    redbobberredbobber Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    We just purchased a 2014 CX-5 GT. My wife has an iPhone 4s and I have an Android HTC. Both phones took a few minutes initially to pair with the car, but now we both use Pandora, or our own music libraries. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes for Pandora - just ignore the on screen messages and be patient with it. We both use the hands free phone. People tell us it's a little hollow sounding with the hands free system, but they can hear everything we're saying and we can hear them just fine. As for the TomTom... I personally like Garmin better, but I've added some addresses to favorites and it seems to be working ok. We'll be taking a trip in a couple of weeks, so I'll let you know how it works on the road. I'm pleased with the car overall and my wife loves it! Glad we got it.
  • Options
    lardawglardawg Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2013
    Doug, I have had my CX5 for less than 3500 miles maybe 4 months and I have an Ipod Nano earlier version that was working great with the USB port up until 2 days ago. Than nothing. The radio would not even register the Nano when I pushed the USB/AUX button. USB would not even show on the readout. My Nano would not play. I have the Sport so it is not the top of the line and the radio I think is the A or B version if you look in the manual. I took it back to the dealership an hour later they told me it was a blown fuze and now it works. 5 miles down the road I try it. Same thing, nothing. Brought it right back. Half an hour later the Jim my service guy comes to me and says its your Nano. Before I went to the dealership I tested the Nano on my computer and a docking station worked great. 2 USB cables, worked on other things also. So I was ready to stand behind the Ipod. The Jim and I went down to the Tech who worked on it and he used my USB cable and plugged in his newer Ipod and it worked. Plugged in mine it didn't. I took the headphone jack and plugged it in and it worked. We are all scratching our heads big time about it. They are going to call Mazda Monday and they will get back to me. I think we all had to conclude it was something weird going on with the radio. If you don't mind I think I will pass on your comments to them also. I think it is a software issue? Assuming you could even reprogram this radio?Or worse yet a bad radio. I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    Val see my response to Doug # 6
  • Options
    Found the issue and the solution. Reset your Ipod. Itunes will walk you through this if you don't know how. I did and now my Mazda CX5 recognizes my 2nd geeration Nano. Woohoo