Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    is the technique I have used for 20+ years in driving manual trannys in the mountains. It is what auto racers of yore have done (and still do). Put your right foot ball on the brake. Use your heel and rock your right foot to depress the accelerator.

The other two methods work well also...

Yes, slipping the clutch will wear it. Also, every time you press the brakes they wear. Same concept...
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I've heard much about heel-and-toe technique but never tried it in my Jeep. I know that some of your better-designed sports cars like the Miata are set up for heel-and-toe technique but I wonder if the brake and gas are positioned close enough to do this in a Wrangler. I may give this a try...
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    with all the talk of heel and toeing, slipping the clutch, stopping with the clutch engaged, etc. I thought I'd throw out a pointer to a decent site that explains a lot of this stuff:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm

http://www.howstuffworks.com/transmission.htm

http://www.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm

-twylie

• tj99saharatj99sahara Member Posts: 9
    My new white Sahara will be here in 3 weeks! I must sell my 99 Sahara, Green, auto, trac-loc, ABS, ac, am/fm cd, cruise/tilt, 30"wheel/tire pkg, pwr locks with remote alarm, proximity sensor, Manik grill guard and I'll throw in my bikini top. The 99 is a soft-top with 1/2 doors and I have the BestTop tinted soft windows, and the factory windows as well. My price .... $17,827.49.!
    TJGreen
  • drouleaudrouleau Member Posts: 3
    Will a Wrangler Soft-Top survive (or leak) through one of those new brushless car washes?
    Basically all it does is use a series of high pressure water streams.

What about the detergents these washes use, are they too harsh for the soft-top or windows?
    Thanks!
  • wranglerwantedwranglerwanted Member Posts: 18
    I've been reading the board for months now. My roommate has a 92 Jeep. I have a 95 Integra, great car but I want a covertible. My brother was one of the unlikely ones to by a 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, it's in the shop at least two times a month. Anyways, I really want a Jeep for this summer. I can't decide if I want to buy an older model, '93ish, or trade my car in. What do you guys think about the roll up windows vs the soft ones. I think the soft ones look cooler, but my friend says to get the full doors. I would also like to put on bigger tires, but only to 30'. That way I won't have to pay extra for the D44. Jeeps hold a great resale value. Are there any models or years I should stay away from?

I really want one this year. I could always wait for the restyle next year or the Liberty, but learning from my brother's experience I don't know if I would go with a first year model.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the great reading.
  • VolareVolare Member Posts: 15
    I'm looking at a '93 Wrangler. It has 4cyl, 5 speed, 89k, hardtop, aluminum wheels, It's got a ad player and new speakers in it. Anybody want to tell me what they think it's worth and if this would be a good wrangler to buy, thanks. Dan
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hey, twylie! Have you been over that Jeep with a fine tooth comb yet to look for paint runs or any other type of defect?

Thelma has a paint run on her right rear corner, but it is so minor that I decided not to have it repainted- would rather keep the baked-on factory paint. Also, as everyone knows, the paint on her hard top blistered and flakd off in one place, and the entire top was repainted at DC's expense. I know you have the soft top, though.

Are you completely satisfied with "fit and finish?" Any mechanical problems? I know it's early, but a lot of problems are usually there on day one, if you are ever going to have them at all.

Thelma has had not one mechanical problem so far after 5700 miles. Just the paint defects is all that I have encountered with her.

tsjay

Have you hugged that new Jeep today?
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    where is it?

Heel and toe: I was going to mention that, really, but then thought it might not apply here (I use it.). I guess it does.

high pressure washes: one good way to test if a top is waterproof (do this before buying)
  • saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    hey guy...
    going to try to go look at the a black 60th anniversary tomorrow. Dealer emailed me told me he got 2 in today.. I think I can smell my jeep getting closer...
    good to have you back tsjay...
    Saharanut
    (terry)
    Are we going to have to start calling you 60th anniversarynut?

I'm with you, man, on the 60th over the Sahara. I like the Sport just fine, and I would get another one today, if I had it to do over, but I really like the 60th too.

Now, you buddies with Saharas don't get upset with me. We all have our individual tastes, and I'm glad we do! Wouldn't it be sad if we all had the same model in the same color? Yuk!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Are you still Jeepless in Seattle? Give us an update!

tsjay
    I covered most of the potential issues in my review geocities.com/eewylie/review.htm but will recap here:

1. there is a slight catch coming out of 5th gear. It was pretty noticable at first and seems to be getting better. It feels like a burr on the left side of the gate and is only there when coming out of 5th. I do have the slight clunk noise when the car has been in gear, you push in the clutch, take it out of gear and then release the clutch (clunk).

2. very minimal paint in the rear verticle groove at the back corners of the vehicle. I didn't see any runs anywhere on the vehicle.

3. there is a 1 to 2" by 15" strip at the back of the body tub on the passengers side where they missed on the undercoating. If this is done by hand, maybe the line worker sneezed. If it's done by robotics, the guns are WAY misaligned.

4. the upper half door on the drivers side is very poorly stitched. The passenger door looks good, but the stitching where the plastic window meets the surrounding top, there is a gap of almost 3/4". This is only noticable from the inside. It doesn't look like it will leak, but it should not have made it past quality ocntrol. I'll post some pics on the site this weekend so you can see what I'm trying to describe. This is the only thing so far I would be willing to complain about, but if this is the worst thing wrong with my Jeep, I'll be quite happy.

5. I checked my air pressure last night after I got home and had 39lbs in each tire! I dropped it to 30 and will try the chalk mark across the tread this weekend to see how the tires are rolling. Glad I checked this before I put too many miles on them. All other fluids checked out OK at the dealer before I left and the next day at the house. I just plain forgot to check the tires until last night.'

Overall the quality control and fit n finish is about what I expected. My expectations were not very high and they were met . That said, I didn't buy a Jeep to get Lexus quality materials and close tollerances, but overall, the TJ is pretty well put together.

The Rock-It bars from Turbo City showed up and will go on this weekend. I'll post before and after pics on the site for anyone interested. The install looks pretty simple; mount to the side body mount, drill a few holes in the frame and install with self tapping bolts. I will pick up the right size tap tomorrow as I've heard some mixed reviews of the self tapping bolts.

-twylie
    Sorry. I should have checked out your web site more thoroughly. I was at work at our plant in Illinois when I checked out your site, and I couldn't stay on the net long enough to look at everything. What I did see, though, was first class! You did a nice job.

tsjay

• oldjeepguyoldjeepguy Member Posts: 10
    For those of you who may have missed this interesting item in yesterday's newspaper:

"KENNEDY CAR PASSES INTO MEMORABILIA
    John F Kennedy Jr's 1995 Jeep, which he drove to a New Jersey airport the night of his fatal flight, sold for $57,100 on-line through eBay Motors.
    There were 81 bids for the green Wrangler Sahara, which normally goes for $13,000 retail.
    The buyer, from Shreveport, LA, wants to remain anonymous, but eBay Motors' general manager said the person was a longtime Kennedy admirer who wanted to drive the car.
    The eBay purchase includes a copy of the title bearing Kennedy's name and Manhattan address as well as a photograph of him in the driver's seat."

oldjeepguy
    My friend was telling me to buy a Wrangler that had the Coil Overs. What year model has the springs? Also, can I fit 31 tires on it without making modifications? Thanks
    coils started with the introduction of the TJ in 97. I have read that the only modification you may need to make if running 31" is to add a washer or two to the bumpstops to prevent rubbing the inside wheel well and flares. I guess it depends on how large the 31s actually are. The factory 30" GSAs are just under 29".

We went through the same decision process before buying our Wrangler. Do we buy a 95 in good shape or go newer? We ended up getting an '01 since we really liked the ride of the coil suspension and as you noted earlier, they late model Jeeps hold their resale pretty well. We were only looking at saving 3-5k if we bought used.

Good luck in your Jeep hunting.

-twylie
  • loseitloseit Member Posts: 7
    Woah, i havent been on for a couple of days...and boy are you guys busy!! WELl i got my jeep back, finally!! Everything seems ok!! Still wobbles a bit but, i dont care, i want to drive it!! Next up, a stereo sustem...that factory one is weak..real weak. Hey, i want to eventually put in a 2" lift kit, but downt that mess with the warranty? And what kinda sidesteps, nerf bars are good to put on? The factory ones are nice looking...but i didnt get them. i wanted to keep my options open. Do nerf bars have to be taken off when offraoding?

Later
  • tj99saharatj99sahara Member Posts: 9
    Sorry guys, I just sold it!
  • onlyinajeeponlyinajeep Member Posts: 46
    Hello,
    Sounds like you are getting the problems pinpointed on your Jeep. I just thought I would mention, in case no one has yet, that you could void your warranty by drilling into your frame. DC sometimes takes a very dim view of modifications to your Jeep and they will use modifcations against you if anything happens in the future. The fact is that DC has to prove the modification is a direct influence on the problem you have, but various dealerships have been known to void warranties for items that later were proved in court to be of no consequence to the reason for the problems of the Jeep. Everyone has a different reason for aftermarket and many are not needed for type of offroading most people do. It is important to decide what you are planning on really doing with a Jeep before adding items to a Jeep that could potentionally cause you warranty problems down the road. If you plan on keeping the Jeep for a long period of time, it is sometimes better to wait awhile before adding a lot of items to the Jeep. Drive it stock for a while at first and get to know it, it is a perfectly capable machine even in the stock form. Many of the modifications we read about people doing are 1) Overkill and 2) Not necessary in all areas of the US. So think about how you plan on really using your Jeep and how long you plan on having it before you add any aftermarket parts that require drilling into anything. Remember, it you ever take those things off, you are going to have holes in your frame that will not match up to anything but those bars and it gives DC one more excuse not to honor a warranty. Just something to think about. I am not against aftermarket accesories, I just like to remind people that there are negatives to adding items to our Jeeps and some of these items are not needed by everyone in the first place. Hope you enjoy your Jeep and get the problems all pinpointed and worked out to your satisfaction.
    I was told by a friend that the newer model Jeeps are marketed towards 25-35 year old women. They have a girlish interior and a cushy ride. Apparently, if you want to off-road, the leaf setup is preferable. (He has a 94 or 95 Wrangler).
    Boy, that is some serious flamebait, but I'll refrain. I'll just observe that I had both a leaf-sprung YJ and now a coil-sprung TJ and the latter is far superior off road, much more articulation. It rides better on-road too, but maybe your friend is a masochist and prefers having his teeth jarred out of his head. As for the interior, having a more ergonomic dash is preferable to the chaos of the YJ set-up.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Your restraint is admirable:-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Thanks for the heads up. I think the real issue is that DC takes a dim view on NON-MOPAR mods. However, if you look at the "pre-built" (Bigfoot edition, LundRunner, etc.) Jeeps in many showrooms, they don't use MOPAR parts in many cases. I've already gotten the written OK from the dealer on this mod. In the event we take them off, I will either flush the bolts into the frame or worst case, braze the holes closed to prevent any water from entering. I have found that by having a very strong relationship with your servicing dealer, they will go to bat for you. I just had the engine replaced in my Explorer at 90k, 54k out of warranty; no cost to me. The regional rep tried to deny it, but the service manager and I were able to convince them (with perfect service records) that the vehicle had not been abused.

The side bars are going to be used 95% for steps and we disliked the way the factory steps looked.

Thanks again for the warning.

-twylie
    Ive asked twylie..now ask you...
    is there anything you would have done different
    when buying your jeep?
    "should have done?"
    "shouldnt have done?"
    Just wondering...
    Thanx
    Saharanut
    (terry)
  • eagle63eagle63 Member Posts: 599
    I don't think any wrangler has a "cushy" ride. The only thing Jeep has that's marketed towards that demographic is maybe the Liberty. And no, leaf springs are not better for offroading.
    What about any transmission problems in the '97 and up models?

For the price of a used 97+ I might as well get a new 2K1 Wrangler.
    Is it worth the $35. Does it do any good?
    I know that the Liberty has been getting dismissed as a lightweight by a lot of current Jeep owners and I am kind of surprised by this. The vehicle isn't even out yet, and as far as the IFS is concerned, my friend's Toyota Tacoma has an IFS and it is awesome off-road. We'll see.
  • yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    In my naivete', I checked this option since it was so cheap, thinking it was a regular heater. It was then explained to me that an engine block heater keeps the engine warm in below-freezing temperatures. Since I've only seen snow fall once in my life and I've only been in snow a handful of times, I figured I wouldn't be needing it.

Mike
    The 97 & 98 Wranglers have the same 5-speed as the 1990-1995 models, I believe. I personally find it to be so-so and a bit sticky sometimes to shift especially from 1st to 2nd, but it doesn't have a bad reputation for breaking as far as I know. The '99 and up Wranglers have a different 5-speed and whether or not it is in an improvement is a source of much debate.

See above postings for info on the automatic. I have no idea about the engine block heater and have never lived in a place cold enough to need one. Are you in Alaska or something?
    My biggest problem with it is the front - I find it downright ugly. Almost like someone used Jeff Goldblum's gene-splicer from The Fly and created a Wrangler/Grand Cherokee Hybrid. Bleach.

Mike
    I lived in Anchorage for 20 years and had block heaters in my cars there. When it got to 15 or 20 below F, I'd plug it in to the house current for an hour or so in the morning while I made my coffee. It warms the oil up so the car will crank a little easier.

Steve
    Host
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    I live in AZ and use the block heater in all of my vehicles when parked outdoors in the winter overnight.

Best used at temps below like 10F...

We get below 0F where I live in arizona quite frequently. I put a heavy duty timer on my block heater set for 5:30 am allowing an hour or two of warmup. Will improve engine life, battery life, when used in really cold weather....
    $35 is a good price, if that's installed. But unless you park your rig outdoors in extreme cold near an AC outlet, you don't really need one, imho. I haven't used mine in two years--doesn't get all that cold here in Boise. You can always add one later too (usually for $75 to $150 bucks though).

Steve
    Host
    I live in Norther VA, it doesn't get colder then 10F in the winter, if even that. So I guess it is unnecessary. The full doors aren't that much more expensive either, but I think it looks better with the top down in the plastic doors. What do most of you think? As far as the new transmissions in the current models, what have you guys heard about flaws with those? My brother is now looking at trying to sell his '99 Grand Cherokee, he's going to look into the VA Lemon law.

I know there is always a chance that the car you get could have some problems. I just want to get a model were they have most of those things worked out. I guess I am looking at buying a 2K1 Wrangler. What's the word on the next remodeling? Internet rumors say that they are going to do away with the soft top. Are there any changes for the 2K2 model? Thanks again.
    I guess I could always buy one or the other later. The full doors are under $200 when you purchase them with the Jeep. How much would a set of soft doors cost aftermarket? Which is most cost effective?
    I saw a new (round lights) yellow Jeep today go by with no doors on! Temps are up to almost 35-40 degrees.
    check out www.quadratec.com for Jeep parts including doors. They have a decent site, and a better catalog. You can get many different kinds of aftermarket doors (metal half doors w/ factory style uppers, fibreglass half doors with soft uppers; metal/fibre half doors with fiberglass uppers; full soft doors, safari doors, etc.) so pick what you like and compare prices. I would suggest driving Jeeps with both style of doors and see what fits your needs. If it's a daily driver, you may prefer the full doors; if it's a weekend toy, you may prefer half doors; if you live in cold climate, you may want full doors. That's the beauty of a Jeep is that it is very configurable. You can ask what people like and almost everyone will tell you they like what they have .

If you feel the need to have both sets of doors, there are many options. At QTec, full steel doors are $1400, half steel doors are $1100, plus $200 for the soft uppers. This is the high end of the price range and in comparison, it appears to be close to a wash if you go this route. You can get fiberglass lower half doors for $550, plus $200 for the uppers, = total $700 + the $200 difference to upgrade soft to hard doors = $900 gets you both sets. Again, this is just a few of the options available. Drive some and see what you like. The least expensive option is what many people do... get the full doors and completely remove them when the top is off (may need to move mirrors). This gives you full doors and open air feeling when you want it.

Good luck in your JeepQuest...

-twylie
    I know they have the rebate giong on, and through my credit union I can get 6.49% Financing. I don't know if I would be able to order the sienna pearl coat with the tan top and camel interior, 6cyl, etc. When do they stop placing orders, I know they would want to sell me what they have of course. Do you guys know if the rebate will increase or is there going to be a better deal after 4/30/01? Is the 2k2 model going to be totally different? Man I want a Jeep.
    Hi Pal!

Things I would do different?

1. I would get the TracLoc rear end for snow and ice

2. I would get either the dual tops or maybe just the soft top. I didn't think that I would be all that interested in going topless, but since I have had Thelma, I can see that I am going to want the top off much more than I originally thought that I would.

I test drove a couple 2001's with the soft top, and the wind noise wasn't bad at all. The top has been improved on the 2001's and is now 4-ply.

I originally didn't like the half doors, but if I got the soft top, I think that I would also get the half doors.

That's really all that I would do differently. I am totally in love with that Little Thelma Jane, and I have NOT ONE regret about getting a Jeep as my daily driver.

tsjay

HAve you hugged your Jeep today?
    My dealer is talking me out of tracloc..
    just not much snow or ice here...he says its overkill here...
    i will be getting the daul tops...
    probably get half doors later down the road..
    Went to look at the black 60's today.
    they look great..very nice interior..
    now if was only MINE!!

take care
    Saharanut
    Terry
    Hey, Man, go get that 60th! What are you waiting on??? Mrs. Nut will forgive you! Haven't you ever heard that it is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission?

The TracLoc is only an extra $285 if you are already getting the Dana 44 rear end, but it's up to you whether it is worth it or not. I would sure get it if I had it to do over again. Goducks1 says that it makes a huge difference on slick roads.

I guess I wouldn't let that stop me though, if a vehicle in someone's inventory had everything else that I wanted except TracLoc.

I stopped and looked at a black 60th at a dealership that I passed on the way home from Illinois the other day. It was the same dealership that I passed every week on my way to and from Illinois when I had to make that trip weekly. That's where I fell in love with a white Sport with a black hard top this past summer and stopped to drool going up to Ill and also coming back.

Anyway, that baby was sharp! You would do well to get a black 60th or the silver either one. I haven't seen a silver 60th live and in person yet, but I love that silver color on the Sports.

tsjay

• ckingsburyckingsbury Member Posts: 44
    If you're asking whether you need a block heater you probably don't need one. They are for serious nasty winter weather, like the Dakotas, and not much else IMHO.

As for Track-Lock, I like it and would recommend it if you will drive in low-traction situations. I live in New England and have had plenty of chances to test its capabilities on bad road surfaces and will back up Goducks on its capabilities.

You only get to buy a new car every so many years, so buy the car you want. If you hit enough dealers you will eventually find one who has the one you want. I drove 200 miles to get the Wrangler I would have ordered from the factory.

-cwk.
    I'm getting the full doors with the hard top, and I'm going to order Safari Doors from Quadratec for when I take the top off - there's also a mirror set for the Safari doors so you don't have to fool with moving the mirrors much or drilling. The total investment is probably just under $200. Anyone have experience with Safari Doors? They seem inexpensive, cool-looking, and a nice solution for the doorless mirror situation.

Mike
  • sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    The Trac Loc seems to confuse a lot of people. A Trac loc is a limited slip differential. What this means to the layman is if one wheel slips you will not lose all the power to that wheel. Part of the power will also turn the wheel that (hopeful ) will still have traction and keep you moving. This is much better then an open axle(regular axle) that will leave you stuck because all the power is going to the wheel with no traction. A limited slip will keep you from getting stuck in certain situations but it will have a little slip and will sometimes require you to apply the parking brake, adding a little power and then releasing them so both wheel will be powered if you have one wheel in the air. The advantage of a limited slip is they are quiet and most people can't tell that they are even there and they do work. The disadvantage is they are not as strong as a locker and they do wear out over time.

A locker will "lock up" both wheels and give you no slip. This is great for the serious off reader because in any situation both wheel will turn regardless of traction but they are a handful to drive in the snow and they do clunk and bang if you power into a sharp turn. Advantage of a locker is they are very durable and strong and don't wear out and offer true 100% power to both wheels. Disadvantage is they are noisy, tire wear out a little faster and maybe a handful to drive in the snow and other situations.

Open axle are the stock set up but if one wheel gets no traction all the power will go to that wheel. Open axles are cheaper and easier to drive in the snow but for a serious off reader they may get you stuck. Advantages of an open axle is no extra cost, quiet and generally the best for smooth operation all around and the quietest. Disadvantage is they may leave you stuck if one wheel loses traction.
  • chefrkmchefrkm Member Posts: 34
    I havent posted in a while. I just got all my stuff unpacked from the move from NY to Las Vegas. A few days ago I removed my hard top for the season. It has been in the 80's in the day and high 50's at night. I have been noticing that the speaker dont dound very good w/ the top off. So what my questions is can I put bigger speakers in the sound bar. It has 5 1/4", I want to put 6" in. Also does the factory cassette stereo have enough power to pump em. I really dont want to put in a CD player, VERY high theft of radios here in Vegas. I was thinking of a amp for the front and back?? Please help ???
    Hey, you old rascal, good to hear from you again!

I'll bet you're glad to be back out in Vegas. How's that Jeep doing? Getting out in the desert and playing any?

Don't forget the chat tonight!

tsjay

Havwe you hugged your Jeep today?