Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    That's a great looking vehicle - love the color (it was my second choice).

The good thing about the half doors is that they provide a better height for an elbow rest. But I would only consider them if I were going to replace the windows with aftermarket sliders, and that's an extra expense etc. It's much easier to just get the full doors, and what I would have done if it had been an option (the Unlimiteds only come with full doors and the Sport we have came with a hard top and full doors).
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Where you live, I think you should just take the doors off and leave them off. Nothing like going topless and doorless! I have never had the half doors, but I THINK being doorless all together is really a better configuration than having the half doors on. I have ridden in my bud's Jeep when he had the top down and the upper doors off. I like riding in my Jeep with NO doors lots better.

You are on the right track, so stop worrying. You will LOVE your Jeep! Don't listen to those guys who are saying you are crazy. Well, maybe you have to be a little crazy to have a Jeep, though, come to think of it. They sure are FUN for us crazy people!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    Thanks, mtngal. And you're right about the half doors with sliders. Lately I've thought it would really be cool to just have an extra set of half doors. Dual tops, dual doors...

On Tom's comment, I bet there are very few of us who would have Jeeps now if we'd listened to all those people who told us we were crazy. The funny part is that sooner or later most of the people who told me that confide that they have always wanted a Jeep.
    I tweaked my XM Roady2 install this past weekend. Here are a couple of pics:

Roady 2
    Roady 2

This install includes a PIE adaptor that plugs into the CD changer controls, a permanent power supply mounted behind the glove box and the satellite antennae in the roll bar.
  • wrangler1wrangler1 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Tom and everyone. One last thing -- Auto or Manual ? I have never driven a manual before but then I think a Jeep should be manual. You think it will perform well in city driving?
    To Keats: Pleasant surprise to hear people talking about sat radio here. Lemme know if you need any info on that. I work for x m and am designing a new radio right now as I speak :)
    I love satellite radio. We have 3 Roady 2 models. I have one in my Rubi, one in our Grand Cherokee and one in the house. I frequent XM411 quite often. There are actually several XM folks on here, I think mtngal and ericpkl have XM in their Jeeps...
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    x2 on the half door with sliders. Some people, like me LOVE the height of them. With the uppers off, it is almost like riding doors off, but with some side protection. But the kicker is the zipping windows. Sliders make the most sense in this case, I just haven't pulled the trigger to get em.

3.73 is the way you want to go at least. There are no MAJOR hills in Florida, so you'd be fine. If you plan on long highway drives and have large tires, 4.10 gearing may be better (like that found in a Rubi).

As for auto/manual, depends on your preference. If you drive in a lot of stop/go traffic, you'll probably want an auto, but I LOVE manuals.

My Jeep is fitted with XM running through an Alpine CDA9827 head unit. Mtngal has the integrated XM tuner with hers. All of my vehicles have XM. When I offroad and the trees block XM (like at Turkey Bay in the SUMMER), I have an iPod interface running through the head unit to my iPod. Who needs FM except those looking for auto dealerships!

I can get some pics of the setup if you want me to, but here is how my Jeep is set up with half doors for the summer (until I take em off completely).

image">

-Paul
    Wrangler1:

Hey, get whichever tranny you think would better fit your needs. A Jeep doesn't "have" to be a stick. I think you will find just about as many autos as sticks in Jeeps.

If you think learning to drive a stick and having a stick shift Jeep would be something you would enjoy, then go for it. It's not hard to learn how to drive a stick, and especially with a Jeep. Jeeps with the 4.0 L have enough idle speed torque to allow you to be a little slow in giving it gas as you take off and still not stall. As a matter of fact, you can take off from a dead stop without even using the gas pedal, if you come out slowly enough with the clutch.

If you think the city driving would have you shifting too much, then go with the auto.

Tom

Man, you guys are awesome. Not only do you like Jeeps, you love sat radio too! Sat radio is the way to go. If anyone of you is in south florida, don't hesitate to get in touch with me if you want some info on that or just want to see cool stuff or get radios at a discounted price.
    3.73 and manual it is. I still would prefer half doors ( your jeep looks good with them erickpl ) but I wouldn't stress on it if the dealer dosent have them. As you all said, I can always take the door off ! Erickpl, I am guessing that stuff on your jeep is aftermarket ( the rear shades and all ) which I can get once I buy my jeep?
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    my girlfriend has an manual in her sport, its fun!! ( she doesn't like me really putting my foot in it though! ) , I don't like starting / stopping / on hills, she lives in Missouri, plenty of hills, but she doesn't have any problems. My unlimited has an automatic. I've always got a soda (thats pop for our friend in KY) in my right hand, having to shift would put an added burden on my driving abilities.

the shifting pattern on the 6 speed manual is really easy to work, it really seems to just drop right into the next gear. I learned in a 72 VW Bug, I think a jeep would be an easy vehicle to learn in.

its just a matter of preference. drive both, see what you like better.

jts
  • 05rubisahara05rubisahara Member Posts: 25
    Nice looking Rubicon. Same color as mine. What kind of steps are those?

Harlan
  • demoneyes33demoneyes33 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Yall'
    I just got a 04 Wrangler Sport! Its freakin awesome!! I will be the first to admit I dont know much about Off Roading. But im willing and wanting to learn all i can!
    What would yall recommend doing to make it sound more "MEAN", I have the inline6 so it doesnt have the kick i had in my camaro I had, How can I make it sound better?
  • oldscout2oldscout2 Member Posts: 9
    Nice Jeep Keats. I like the light khaki color. What year is your Rubi? It looks like it has black fenders, is that an option for 2005? I thought the fenders only came in dark khaki.........as well as the soft top. Anyone know if you can you get black fenders and black soft with the 2005 light khaki color?
    Thanks.
    Scout:

Fortunately, DC listened to their customers and went back to black flares. They made black tops available again also.

This happened sometime in December.

Tom

demoneyes:

Welcome, and congrats on that new Jeep!

Hey, if you live within a reasonable drive, I would be glad to take you out on the trails at Turkey Bay, where I do most of my wheelin'. I love seeing folks learning what incredible things their Jeeps will do. It blew my mind the first time I went off road with my bone stock Jeep (stock except that I had put 31 x 10.50 BFG All Terrain tires on it), when I followed my guide and actually made it through some places that I would have never dreamed a Jeep would negotiate.

You can check out my website about wheelin' at ...

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

Tom

• thejeepthejeep Member Posts: 9
    Is it hard to controll the receiver in that location.
    Great Site you have!
    You gave me some great pointers as well as steered me away from some potential no-no's when Wheelin'...Great site id recommend it to everyone just starting out or living in KY area for some crazy trails.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay49/

I am looking for some good sites to look for some new 31-35'' wheels/tires.
    Any suggestions?
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    Hey there wrangler1, I'm looking into getting my first Jeep, and was thinking about the radio... XM sounds like an interesting option. How cheap could I get into that, and what would the monthly expenses be? Also, how do you secure something like that in a Jeep?
    Looks like the Sport comes standard with two disk/two drum brakes. Most of the Jeeps I'm looking at here in Central FL don't have the 4 wheel disk brakes option. Anybody got thoughts one way, or another, about whether the four wheel disk brakes are a "must" have? I'm thinking that the 4 wheel disk brake would make a big difference.
    demoneyes:

Get yourself a Quadratec catalogue. You can go to their website and request one.

Even if you buy elsewhere, they have a great catalogue to show you what's available.

Where do you live? Is a trip to Turkey Bay out of the question?

Go slow on your mods, now demon. Take time to learn how everything relates to something else, and see what altering one thing means that you have to do somewhere else to compensate.

For example, you can put 31" tires on a stock Jeep, but for tires larger than that, a lift is required. The bigger the tire, the more lift that is needed. Once a Jeep is lifted beyond a couple inches, then you have to worry about driveline angle correction. Also, depending on your current gearing, you will most likely want to regear your front and rear axles for tires bigger than 31". Another consideration is whether you have the Dana 44 or the Dana 35 rear axle. The Dana 35 limits you on tire size and on the use of a locker.

You have a lot to learn, my friend, before you start investing in mods. If you don't do your homework, you can spend a lot of money, only to find that you need to replace some things that you have already done.

You sound like you want to get into " wheelin' ,' and the mods you would want depend on the type of terrain you will be running. Rock crawling requires different set-ups than those that would be optimal for wheelin' where mud and loose soil are the norm.

Feel free to bounce things off of us here in this forum before you buy something.

Do you know which rear axle you have? Dana 35? Dana 44? Do you know your gearing?

You can go to Jeep.com and request a build sheet to see how your Jeep was equipped from the factory. This sheet will give you more details about your Jeep than you could ever need. You simply find your way to "customer service" and "contact Jeep." A form will pop up, and you fill it out. In the top section, where you tell them why you are contacting them, tell them you would like to have a factory build sheet. You will need to know the last eight characters in you VIN. They are VERY good about getting back to you quickly. I have seen a guy get his build sheet in half an hour, but he made his request during normal working hours.

To find out quickly if you have the Dana 44, look at the differential housing, and if it looks like a pumpkin and is symmetrical on the vertical axis, it is the Dana 35. If the housing is taller on the left side, making the housing sort of the shape of a pear laid on its side, with the big end to the left, then you have the Dana 44. Also, the drain plug is rubber on a 35 and is metal on a 44.

Tom

Congrats on all the new Wranglers! I do think you have to be a bit crazy to want one - they aren't exactly practical. But who cares - they are all about FUN!

We first got a Roady after a long trip where we had problems picking up stations. It was installed in a Taco with a cassette deck. When we got the Unlimited (without a cassette deck) I got really tired of getting static from FM stations (Los Angeles has stations on every possible frequency it seems, certainly the ones used by the FM modulator that came with the Roady), so rather than get a PIE adaptor and hooking it into the back of the stock radio, we went the integrated Alpine head route (I couldn't figure out a good place to put the tuner). My Roady is now hooked up to a Bose radio at my office and provides me endless hours of awesome music to work by. If anyone is thinking about it - it's wonderful!

I agree with others that the tranny is a personal choice. Our '98 Sport is a 5 speed and our '04 Unlimited is an auto. While there are times I miss the 5 speed, my back is much happier with the auto. I won't go back to the manual now (though they certainly can be fun). The clutch on the Wrangler is heavy duty and does require a little more effort than sports cars, but it is certainly lighter than a Chevy pickup I once owned (it was a "3 on the tree" configuration - do they still make them?).

If I were driving in town with lots of stop signs and traffic lights or stop and go traffic, I would definitely get an automatic. If I were driving lots of slow-n-go traffic I'd actually like a manual - put it in 2nd gear and creep along without using your brakes. A manual is better going down steep slopes - I find I use the brakes more going downhill with the automatic. We were off-roading once and I ended up using 4 low because I found myself riding the brakes too much, even though I had shifted to 1st gear with the auto. A manual's 1st gear has more engine braking power. So take a look at what type of conditions you'll be facing most of the time when you are making your choice of trannys.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    .......I'm thinking that the 4 wheel disk brake would make a big difference.

Actually they make very little difference. Virtually all the braking load is carried by the front brakes. Discs appear easier to wash mud from, but the shoes for the hand brake, which are inside small drums inside the rear of the discs, are harder to clean than a conventional drum.

Not a 'must have' unless it enables you also have some other option.
  • letdolphinletdolphin Member Posts: 37
    Hey

Has any one been to Camp Jeep on the Road? I have signed up for one and was wondering what to expect.

Thanks
    Laura
    Hi gsyoung1960, sat radio is awesome. Once you hear it , you will never go back to terrestrial. I don't want to advertise it too much here since its a jeep forum and I might have an obvious bias :) but honestly I have yet to meet a person who disliked it after they had it for a while. its like 13 bucks a month and as for security, I dunno because I dont have a jeep ( yet ) but even if someone steals it, its useless for the thief because it has a unique ID. You probably just need to find a way to put that point across to the thief, maybe a note or something near the radio specifying that. But then the thief wouldn't have time to read it anyways. mail me at axp2005 at gmail.com if you need more info.
    mtngal - hard wired is the way to go. FM or cassette dosent let you realise the full potential of the radio. Even better is optical out. Much much more clear sound.
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I notice that the windows are "wrinkled" when I remove them from the bag, but they do not remain that way. They smooth out. There's one little divet/hiccup in the rear window that refuses to go away, but it's hardly noticeable and I can't be sure that the roll up caused it. (I see other Jeeps with horribly marked and discolored windows).

Just to cover all bases, everything I've read says that the windows have to be clean before storing. So I always try to wipe them down with a damp rag -- left to right, not up and down -- before packing.

Then there's the order of storage. Rear window on bottom, quarter windows on top.

There's also a direction on the roll up paper work about whether you roll the rear cross bar into the center of the roll, or the outside (if that makes sense). Gravity would suggest rolling it to the center, but if I read the instructions right it says to place the bar towards the closed end of the felt divider. Then roll the windows and felt from the open end. And do not roll tightly -- the straps could be the problem.

Sorry it's not working out for you, John. I feel bad since I'm one of the guys who championed the clover patch window roll.

-Mike
    Is "Camp Jeep on the Road" the same as "Camp Jeep?" If so, many people have had absolute blasts at them. I've never been to one, but I know some folks who LOVED Camp Jeep.

Tomster

I'm a door locker. Even when the top's down if you can believe that.

My thinking is that a guy slicing my top, or jimmying my glove box, or leaning over the door, is more noticeable than the guy who just has to open to door, or open the glove box. So unless I'm parked in the sticks, I figure the thief doesn't want to go to the extra trouble and run the risk of getting caught.

Put another way, if my locked Jeep is parked next to your unlocked Jeep, guess who's losing their stuff.

:surprise:

-Mike
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Put another way, if my locked Jeep is parked next to your unlocked Jeep, guess who's losing their stuff.

Probably you since an unlocked Jeep likely has nothing of value in it! ;)

tidester, host
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910

Mine's locked when the hardtop is on, but it's still probably you as there's no 'stuff' in mine to take, and the glovebox and console lid are open to demonstrate the fact.

:P
  • por2gesfiremanpor2gesfireman Member Posts: 16
    Hello everyone, wondering what would be best for an 03' rubicon, a fabtech 6" lift or a rubicon express 5.5" lift? both seem to be great and the fabtech will be a little cheaper. so gimme all your opinions thanks Mike A.
    D'oh. I'm getting tag teamed! (And by the Host too!)

I thought everyone was making the case that they left their consoles unlocked so if they got their stuff stolen, at least the Jeep wouldn't be damaged. I'm just making the opposite case that there's an inherent value in being able to use the glove box, console, and add-a-trunk that I paid good money for and take things with me. If I get robbed, well, that's why God made insurance. And really, the odds are against it. More often than not people throw litter in my Wrangler; not steal stuff out of it.

But now I'm getting flamed?! Funny icons don't take away the hurt... :cry:

-Mike ;)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Aw, Mike! Sorry 'bout that but we couldn't resist!

Seriously, though, I keep my vehicle locked even if I'm only going to be just a few feet away from it and only for a few minutes! Old habits are very hard to break.

tidester, host
    Yeah i guess im a little hot on the button for those mods on my jeep.
    I was a little ancy after reading all these blogs so i had to go off road a little before i hit the hay, a stock jeep can handle a WHOLE LOT without any addons or crazy mods!
    Tom: Live in Dallas, Tx area or id come check out your trails in KY, sounds great...but also i am moving in two weeks...To Washinton state!! Get ready for some sweet trails and Wheelin now huh! :D
    Also i requested the Quadratec cataloge...cool! looking forward to that every month.

HAS ANYONE PUT ANY MODS UNDER THE HOOD? INTAKE, AIRFLOW-SNORKEL, EXHAUST EVEN?.......
    Mike:

Sounds like you are planning on running 35" tires?

Just be sure you know what you are getting into. Not saying you shouldn't go that high, but you need to know about all that goes with such a big lift and about the potential problems.

Since it's a Rubi, you won't need the slip yoke eliminator, but you WILL need a new, longer driveshaft. You will need adjustable upper control arms in back in order to point your pinion shaft at the yoke of the transfer case. Trac bar relocation or adjustable trac bars will definitely be needed.

Lots of folks would say that 35" tires are big enough that a steering system upgrade is needed.

You will see a BIG drop in acceleration, unless you re-gear. At least you are starting at 4.10, since you have a Rubi, but even 4.10's are pretty weak with 35" tires. You would want either 4.56 or 4.88 for 35" tires, unless you can live with the loss of power.

A buddy of mine with an 04 Rubi put a lift on it, and it was only about a 4" lift. He has "death wobble" and cannot get rid of it. A lift messes with the steering geometry, and this can cause weird and dangerous things to happen. When my bud hits a bump, death wobble is often the result. This is where the front wheels turn back and forth on their own, and the steering wheel is almost jerked right out of your hands.

Lots to think about, huh? Unless you are a suspension expert, I would definitely take it to a good 4 x 4 shop for the installation.

Good luck.

Tom

• jbonejbone Member Posts: 35
    Hey all, just wondering what people are getting per tank with the 6cyl in daily driving - 250 miles or more?

Still pondering an Unlimited purchase and since it would be my daily driver, now gas consumption has become a consideration for me - would love to get at least 300 miles b/w fill-ups if possible.

My commute is easy as I live in one small town and work in another - max 55mph for about a minute, then its 30 - 45 mph the rest for a total of about 15 miles one way...
    Jbone:

I think you could count on a minimum of 15 or 16 MPG and a maximum of 18 to 19 MPG with the type of driving you described. Driving style has MUCH to do with your MPG. For example, adjusting your speed to avoid having to come to a stop at the next intersection makes your brakes last longer and saves on gas. No sense staying on the gas until the last split second and then jamming on the brakes, like a lot of people do. (One of my pet peeves.)

Tomster

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Wrangler1, yep satellite is the way to go. Most of the stuff on my Jeep is aftermarket. It was in pretty sad shape when I got it, but I knew I could do something with it. I have pics in my Webshots about it (with before, during, and a few recent pics) at http://community.webshots.com/user/skimblz_ Just look for the 97 Wrangler album. If you have any questions about stuff I've done, feel free to ask. :) While I've bought and installed most mods, a few things I've built - hand throttle, rear trunk under the tonneau, things like that..

demon, under the hood, there really isn't TOO much you can do. A snorkel will get you cleaner air from higher up, but if you want to use it for water crossings, you really need to waterproof your electricals. Dry air w/o water won't do a thing if your wiring is soaked under muddy water. :) Air intakes MIGHT provide a little cooler air, but that is about it. K&N filters are generally a bad idea for offroad vehicles unless you really like dirt in your air intakes by your throttle body. Throttle body spacers won't really help a fuel-injected engine too much.

Probably the best thing you can do to get more power to the wheels is to regear, especially if you have 3.07 or 3.73 gearing with larger tires.

As for Camp Jeep on the road, I went to the first Camp Jeep CA last year in 2004. So did mtngal. We finally got to meet! I have some pics at the above link under .... drum roll... Camp Jeep! The On the Road version may be a bit scaled back and may not have the trail rides, but it was a blast. The food, the entertainment, the vendors (loved Warren Miller's tent!), the exhibits and historical Jeeps, the activity stuff, and of course, the TRAIL RIDES! were truly a wonderful experience that brings smiles to my face just thinking about it. Take the family and enjoy it!

-Paul
    It doesn't look like the Camp Jeep on the Road will have as many great things to do as the full Camp Jeep, but if you've never been it sounds like it might be fun. It looks like it will mainly be the Jeep 101 course where you can drive their vehicles on an off-road course they've set up. That did help me decide to go with the Unlimited and got me to seriously consider the Liberty, and I would never have bought the electric green if it hadn't been for one that was parked right by the entrance, and I kept thinking how sharp it looked.

If I lived closer to Penn. I'd love to go to the Camp Jeep they are having there. Because they won't have all the extras there are at the real Camp Jeeps (trail rides, Corporate people to talk to and camping surrounded by other Jeep owners at the event campground) I probably won't go to the one in San Diego. But if someone were to twist my arm...
    05rubisahara,

They are Jeeperman Trail Skidz

I absolutely love them.
    Thanks, Old Scout, mine is an '04. The Rubicon flares are different than the flares on a standard TJ. They are wider. There is a debate about Rubi flares. Are they painted black or just black plastic? I think they're painted black just like the early 05's were painted dark khaki. You probably won't find black tops on the light khaki metallic readily available on a dealer lot, but you can order an 06 when they switch over.
  • por2gesfiremanpor2gesfireman Member Posts: 16
    Ya I may go with just 33' tires and a 4 to 4.5" lift. I'm not looking for a jeep that looks like it could climb boulders on mars just a jeep that will get me through the Rubicon once or twice a year. We only live 1 1/2 hours away and I'll need to be driving this to work (only 10 miles twice a week). Mainly have you heard anything about going with the Fabtech lift or the Rubicon Express lift? I was told that if some parts break on the RE lift that you have to go to RE to get them but not true for the Fabtech lift? and also it would be about $700 cheaper for the Fabtech installed. p.s. are there any of you here near me in the Turlock/Modesto area? thanks again for your time, Mike A.
  • Hey rankinhub - Thanks for the link to the hard top storage hoist product. I just ordered the manual pulley system. Based on the website, looks like a nice system and for the money, seems hard to beat even if I tried home-brewing something myself. Thanks again. Now, if I could just get the Wrangler Unlimited to go with it, I'd be all set!!! ;) Man, waiting for delivery sure is tough!!!
    Hey, where is that link? I'm thinking of getting a sport w/dual tops, and was curious what hoist would cost, and how difficult they would be to install.... Would appreciate if you can post the link again!
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Thanks for the response. I am trying the window roll again. I believe that I did everything correctly but I have said that many times and I have been wrong. I just looked at my windows and the wrinkles on the side windows have disappeared and the rear window has one place that is wrinkled. Will follow your directions and see what happens. The concept is too good to not keep trying. Don't feel bad, its all fun. Go Easy, John
    Maybe heat has something to do with the wrinkling. I stored my windows in the window roll for 6 months during the winter and didn't have a single wrinkle, but the window roll was inside under a bed...
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Very possible. Will let you know how it works out. John
  • Here's the link...

link title

I paid $143 with shipping ($135 manual pulley system hoist + $8 shipping). This system uses seatbelt-material slings to hold the top. I've seen another one from LangeOriginals.com called Hoist-a-Top. They're a metal frame contraption available with free shipping through today 5/18 from JCWhitney.com except for me, they don't carry the model for the larger Unlimited hard top. The Hoist-a-top is closer to $200 and uses a come-along for their basic hoist mechanism with upgrade available to get a winch. Of course, Hoist-a-top says their's is better but I rather liked the simplicity of Removabletops.com...also, figured my wife won't complain as much for spending under $150 versus closer or over $200. :surprise:
    Looks very nice. I'm hoping to buy a jeep within the next month, but was not looking forward to trying to get the hard top off, and possibly only get the soft top just because of that. Now that I've seen this ad, I think I'd be ok with getting the hardtop.

Be sure and how you like when you get it setup, and tried a few times!

Thanks for the info!!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Don't forget tonight's member-to-member chat - it's open mic night, so come and discuss whatever's on your mind.

6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Drop by for live chat with other members. Hope you can join us!

kirstie_h

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• moharamohara Member Posts: 16
    hi all,

i'm new to the forum, and i'm sure these types of topics have been discussed here before, but a search of the forum turned up nothing. i'm wondering if anyone has advice on the best way to patch up a soft top. mine is in pretty good shape, but has a few small holes in it that will be a worry as the summer rains come. the pokes are very small, but i want it to be water tight and durable. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.