Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• keatskeats Posts: 412
    Hi, John,

The rear mat works fine with the rear seat down or up. To give you an idea of the dimensions, to install it, fold and tumble rear seat. The liner extends all the way to the folded seat. Then you can simply put the seat back down. The rear liner also has a raised lip around the hole for the seat belts. The only downside to the rear liner is that it covers up the footman loops. So you're not able to "dog" down cargo.

I know what you mean about be worried about crinks in the window. I keep telling myself, hey it's a Jeep...but I like it to be perfect, still.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Just buy a Bestop Replace-A-Top and DIY. Under $600 easy. The dealer is REALLY trying to gouge you...
  • lion220lion220 Posts: 3
    is it hard to replace the top yourself?
  • jpk257jpk257 Posts: 43
    1) The revo's get much better traction on wet pavement, are quieter and definitely look better.

2) I traded them in. The tire store gave me $50 each for the GSA's. It was pretty expensive to replace 5 new tires, but to me it was worth it.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Replacing a soft top is as easy as:
    1. Unscrewing the cloth from the header over the windshield bow
    2. Unsnapping a few snaps
    3. Undoing the velcro around the rear bows.
    4. Install new

You do NOT need to replace the hardware, just the fabric. Go with a Bestop Sailcloth Replace-a-top. It will fit the factory hardware with no problems at all and you have the thicker fabrics found on late model Wranglers.

You can get Bestop from a variety of sources like JC Whitney, 4wd, or Quadratec, who has an instant rebate going right now. Here is a link to the black replacement top.Blakc Bestop Replacement Top.

If you shop around you can find em probably a bit cheaper still. But, IMO, Bestop is the only brand I'd go with.

If you want to patch it, according to Bestop manuals... they can be repaired with Bondex iron on patches. Patch it from the inside and follow the instructions in the Bondex packaging.

Hope this helps,
    -Paul
    Matt,

All the major Jeep parts places carry a wide range of tops, but I think either Acme or 4 Wheel Drive Parts offers those extended charge plans, you know, where they charge your credit card of an installment period. That might absorb the blow. I have heard time and time again that the Mopar top is much better than any other top. It is made by Bestop, but it is made to Mopar specs. It fits betters, operates easier and is not as loud. I have a couple of buddies that recently replaced their tops with Best Tops, one went with the cheapest Best Top replacement top and the other went with the Bestop Sail Cloth. The sail cloth is much quieter, but it still flaps more than my Mopar factory top and doesn't seem to fit around the doors as well. You can usally find new Mopar tops on Ebay in the 6 to 700 dollar range or you can try jeepsareus.com. They have the cheapest prices on factory equipment that I've found on the net...good luck!
  • lion220lion220 Posts: 3
    Is the sunrider not a good top? Thanks for all of your help i will begin looking immediately
    For all the folks buying new Wranglers, I want to alert you to the best addition I never remember I have: seat risers. Starting in '03, Wrangler seats changed and were lowered an inch. I'm about 5'10 and I could barely see the end of the hood. When I was in a buddy's 1999 Wrangler I loved how much better the visibility was. So I ordered a set of Buchanann Seat Risers. He offers them in several sizess. I went with the 1", which I found to be perfect. Here is the link if anyone is interested. Randy is a great guy to deal with.

Seat Risers
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Posts: 52
    jpk257, thanks for the info...

I too am looking to change out my tires, but didn't want to get anything that would cause the ride to get rougher, or cause more noise.

And, as I was expecting, the cost may be expensive, so I didn't want to spend money to get better looks, but degrade the ride.

Anyone else have experience changing out their factory 30" tires, for 31"'s? If so, what make model tire did you get, and how did you get rid of your factory tires?
    At one time I heard that the Sun Rider was actually designed for folks who had hard tops only...a buddy of mine ordered one and sent it back because it requires some drilling of holes for the Sun Rider feature to work. In principal, though, I think it is a really cool top.
    does not use the thicker cloth, I think. I'm not 100% on that, but I'm pretty sure it is the case. The feature is really nice, according to mtngal, but I'd prefer to just drop the top entirely. :)

-Paul
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Posts: 310
    I sold mine via a different jeep forum that has 4 sale section.

there are alot of tires and tire wheel combinations that sell on EBAY. they sell fairly well.

I got $225 for my five tires / 4 with 6500 miles.

I've got BFG AT's on now, they are quiet and ride well ( now that I lowered the inflation from 40 to 30, as I learned on this forum)

jeff
  • so what does everyone use for a gps system i am looking at some but i dontwant to spend a fortune
    thanks
    Dan
    I use a Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS (handheld) for trail riding and geocaching. I can take it out and secure it. I mount it using a RAM mount I got from gpscity.com.

Here's a pic of it mounted on my dash (w/o the GPS in it).image

The GPS I got is this one.Meridian Platinum GPS.
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Posts: 52
    jeff62301,
    Good trick to remember about the tire inflation. Do you think the new tires ride better than the factory?
  • c2kmanc2kman Posts: 3
    I am a relative Jeep novice. I am trying to decide between a new 2005 Wrangler Rubicon and a 2005 Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition. Big difference in price but can anyone please spell out the other major differences and why I should not consider the "X' over the Rubicon for the money? Not planning on doing a lot of off roading or rock climbing.

Thanks
    my new tires are 33x10.5x15 BFG ATs, that were installed 2 hours after picking the jeep up from having a 3.5 SF Rubicon Express Lift put on, so I don't know how they ride compared to the stock tires since I changed so much at the same time. the jeep overall has a stiffer ride than stock, but I'd say its the lift and not the tires.

jeff
  • laura0808laura0808 Posts: 2
    My sister just got a soft top for her 05 Jeep Wrangler and I'm looking for specific direction to putting it down in nice weather in order to keep the top in good condition. I had a 97 Wrangler in high school and through the course of constantly putting it up and down the plastic got cloudy and scratched and it never seemed to "fit" in the back. I'm assuming it's because I didn't know the proper way to do it. I was hoping to help my sister avoid the same fate on her new top.

Any help/directions would be wonderful.
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    C2kman:

If you are not going to off road, or if you are going to off road only on moderate terrain, then that Rocky Mountain is just your ticket.

Rubicons look pretty cool and all, but they have WAY more capability than you need for the use you have described. Why pay several thousand dollars more for things you don't need?

Rubicons have lots of goodies for the folks who rock crawl or wheel their Jeeps hard. They have heavy duty axles front and back with selectable lockers. The transfer case low range is geared at 4:1 vs. the standard 2.72:1 for other Wranglers. They have 4.11 gearing and come from the factory with 31" tires.

Either way, you are gonna LOVE that Jeep! Good luck.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    there is a video that comes with new jeeps, it has great directions on how to raise and lower the top.

its important to take the windows out before dropping the top, roll them in towels or buy a special bag to keep them in when the top is down.

jeff