Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    does not use the thicker cloth, I think. I'm not 100% on that, but I'm pretty sure it is the case. The feature is really nice, according to mtngal, but I'd prefer to just drop the top entirely. :)

-Paul
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I sold mine via a different jeep forum that has 4 sale section.

there are alot of tires and tire wheel combinations that sell on EBAY. they sell fairly well.

I got $225 for my five tires / 4 with 6500 miles.

I've got BFG AT's on now, they are quiet and ride well ( now that I lowered the inflation from 40 to 30, as I learned on this forum)

jeff
  • blue_jepp_wrablue_jepp_wra Member Posts: 24
    so what does everyone use for a gps system i am looking at some but i dontwant to spend a fortune
    thanks
    Dan
    I use a Magellan Meridian Platinum GPS (handheld) for trail riding and geocaching. I can take it out and secure it. I mount it using a RAM mount I got from gpscity.com.

Here's a pic of it mounted on my dash (w/o the GPS in it).image

The GPS I got is this one.Meridian Platinum GPS.
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    jeff62301,
    Good trick to remember about the tire inflation. Do you think the new tires ride better than the factory?
  • c2kmanc2kman Member Posts: 3
    I am a relative Jeep novice. I am trying to decide between a new 2005 Wrangler Rubicon and a 2005 Wrangler X Rocky Mountain Edition. Big difference in price but can anyone please spell out the other major differences and why I should not consider the "X' over the Rubicon for the money? Not planning on doing a lot of off roading or rock climbing.

Thanks
    my new tires are 33x10.5x15 BFG ATs, that were installed 2 hours after picking the jeep up from having a 3.5 SF Rubicon Express Lift put on, so I don't know how they ride compared to the stock tires since I changed so much at the same time. the jeep overall has a stiffer ride than stock, but I'd say its the lift and not the tires.

jeff
  • laura0808laura0808 Member Posts: 2
    My sister just got a soft top for her 05 Jeep Wrangler and I'm looking for specific direction to putting it down in nice weather in order to keep the top in good condition. I had a 97 Wrangler in high school and through the course of constantly putting it up and down the plastic got cloudy and scratched and it never seemed to "fit" in the back. I'm assuming it's because I didn't know the proper way to do it. I was hoping to help my sister avoid the same fate on her new top.

Any help/directions would be wonderful.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    C2kman:

If you are not going to off road, or if you are going to off road only on moderate terrain, then that Rocky Mountain is just your ticket.

Rubicons look pretty cool and all, but they have WAY more capability than you need for the use you have described. Why pay several thousand dollars more for things you don't need?

Rubicons have lots of goodies for the folks who rock crawl or wheel their Jeeps hard. They have heavy duty axles front and back with selectable lockers. The transfer case low range is geared at 4:1 vs. the standard 2.72:1 for other Wranglers. They have 4.11 gearing and come from the factory with 31" tires.

Either way, you are gonna LOVE that Jeep! Good luck.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    there is a video that comes with new jeeps, it has great directions on how to raise and lower the top.

its important to take the windows out before dropping the top, roll them in towels or buy a special bag to keep them in when the top is down.

jeff
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    >dude 2.60 is wicked expensive in vermont it is like 2.17

It's been so long since I've heard anyone use the word "wicked." Ahh, memories.

-Mike
    >have you ever thought you live on the wrong side of the hill?

Often. In fact, I think sometimes I live on the wrong side of the country.

>I don't even bother looking at the prices of gas in West L.A. around work any more.

Me neither. I love how on local radio, they track down the alleged best deals on gas. "The Arco at Lincoln and Ocean Park is practically giving away gas for $2.45." Please....

-Mike
    Sorry to hear what happenend, Matt.

When my top got sliced, insurance actually picked up the tab. Didn't pay a cent out of pocket.

Also, I recall being able to deduct loss & damage expenses for similar occurrences from my taxes. Might want to check into that if you do end up paying.

Good luck.

-Mike
  • laura0808laura0808 Member Posts: 2
    thanks so much Jeff...My sister and I both appreciate the help.
    Here is a quick outline of the process.

1. Remove rear window.
    2. Remove rear side windows.
    3. Store all three windows in one of those window rolls or lie flat somewhere safe. Be sure if they rub anything, you clean them with soap/water prior to storage.
    4. Undo the 2 clips above each door that clip into door surrounds.
    5. Undo latches over windshield.
    6. Loosen rear corners and tuck inside tub.
    7. Lift up front part of top (near windshield).
    8. Move to rear of Jeep and draw it in, tucking into tub as you go.
    9. When you get to the last bit of the top that has the clips from the door surrounds, when they fold over themselves (between them), point them INWARD towards the seat. If they stick out, the stitching will come loose a LOT faster.

When putting the top up:
    1. Move the header part to the windshield and insert the hooks into the windshield header, but to not totally secure. Just have them attached.
    2. Move to the back of the Jeep and press/pull down on the rear bow and tuck the corners in.
    3. Reattach the rear window.
    4. Do the side windows. Since the plastic clips over the doors are not inserted yet, you have a more room to get your fingers in there to attach the zipper for the side windows. Using the velcro on the rear part of the windows to hold the end up makes life a lot easier.
    4a. Once the zipper is started about an inch or two, hook in the front part of the side windows that connects to the edges of the door surround. If you do that last, you will have a devil of a time getting them in place.
    4b. Repeat process for other side.
    5. Once the windows are all on, reattach the side clips above the doors and secure the front latches.
    6. DONE.

I actually store my upper doors in back of my jeep (seat removed) under my tonneau/duster cover. My rear and side windows I keep stored in a Jeep bag made for this and keep that in my garage on some shelving up and out of the way. This way, I don't lose them, they are covered and clean, and nothing will get set on them since I have them high enough my wife and kids cannot reach them.

Hope this helps.
    -Paul
    The Rocky Mountain Edition has the Dana 44 in the back, so that is a plus! The Rubi has D44 front AND rear, as Tom mentioned and it has lockers front/rear. This is good for rock crawling and being in the mud since if one wheel is in the air or free spinning, the one with traction will still move (which isn't the case w/o lockers).

The Rocky Mtn Edition (RME) has some nice appearance packages, and honestly gives it a unique look. The Rubicon has the tougher transmission, sits a bit higher due to the 31" wheels vs the 30" on the RME (the suspension might be a bit higher too). You'll probably save some money by doing the RME.

The 4:1 transfer case on the Rubi makes it real easy to leave your foot off the gas when ascending/descending steep obstacles like rocks or a steep hill. Makes it safer so that you don't have to use the brakes.

Either way, if you think you'll want both tops down the road, go ahead and opt for the dual top option - hard and soft tops. Makes better sense to do it when you buy vs aftermarket for this one. Speaking of aftermarket, with either choice you have a LOT of options for accessorizing or modifying your Jeep. Have Fun!

-Paul
    Thanks very much for the advice. This was just the kind of information I was looking for.
    Your response was also very helpful.

Thanks again.
    yeah i picked it up when i was in school this past year
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    My particular corner of the SoCal mountains has multiple hazards, all of which could require me to evacuate quickly. While Paul mentioned the primary one, brush fires, our house is located about a mile away from the San Andreas Fault zone (and we've had a couple of shakers in the 4-5 range recently). It is entirely possible that I'd have to evacuate when there would be no electricity to power the gas pumps, so it makes sense to keep enough gas in the tank to get me to a larger urban area.

I like having the option of the sunroof on the Unlimited and have used it more than I've dropped the top. It partly has to do with the weather - I can go from 70 degrees and perfect topless weather to 100 degrees and too hot for no A/C in a half an hour's drive.

I agree with everyone else's comment about the Rocky Mountain Edition vs. the Rubicon. If you are going to do lots of tough off-roading then get the lockers in the Rubicon - it is cheaper to get them that way than to add them later. Otherwise get the Rocky Mountain Edition - they look great, have excellent features and it is amazing what the Wrangler can do on the trails in its stock condition.
    In your reply to c2kman you said the Rubicon has a tougher transmission. This is news to me. I never heard this before.

When did they start doing this? Always been that way? What tranny does the Rubi get? You mean the auto is tougher in the Rubi than what you would get in regular Wranglers, or the six speed is tougher in the Rubi than in other Wranglers? Both trannies are tougher in the Rubicons?

Tomster

• normisnormis Member Posts: 9
    Hey All -

I've been a lurker here for a while, and I've wanted a Wrangler for as long as I can remember. Finally started making some bucks a few years ago, and started saving with my eye on the prize. I finally put down a deposit today on a 6 speed '05 Unlimited, E package, Black with dual tops, side steps, 7 speakers, floor mats. Had to look for about a week and a half before my local dealer located a dealer who would send one up. It's being driven up tomorrow morning (about 50 miles away - which scares me to death!). Anyway, I pick it up at 6:30 tomorrow night - I'm so psyched that I don't think I'm going to be able to work tomorrow :D:blush: . I'll try to post a few pics tomorrow evening.

Norm
    Norm:

That is SUPER! Congrats on the new Unlimited!!! I'm really happy for ya, guy. Be sure and post to tell us your first impressions of that puppy.

I'm glad your dream is coming true, and I'm glad you came here to share your joy with us. Please stick around and become part of the family here.

Where do you live? Wanna do a little wheelin'???? :)

Tom

• normisnormis Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Tom - I'm in Rockville, MD. Lookin to go wheelin' any time...
    Norm:

I guess that would be a pretty long haul for ya, but if you ever want to come over here to western KY, I would be glad to trail guide for you at Turkey Bay.

Tom

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I'll take a guess that he's talking about the transfer case Tom.
    Must be, Mac, cause I sure have never heard anything about the Rubicons having any different trannies than other Wranglers.

Tomster

Way to go! I also had the dealer get mine from a different dealer, but the one he got it from was over 100 miles away. It arrived without any problem. Do make sure you do an extra careful inspection - the other dealer tried to pass off some junk that the other dealer hadn't picked up on (I think their only prep was to wash it). The carpet in the back was too short (they took the carpet out of another Unlimited on the lot and put it in almost instantly), the ash tray was missing (it had the smokers package - by the time I had signed the financial papers it had been replaced), the second key had probably been lost because the second key was cut but hadn't been programmed (we didn't discover that until the next morning - the dealership found someone to program the key even though it was Saturday and the service department was closed). The previous dealer had put a chrome insert on the front that outlines the grille that I didn't pay for (the dealership I bought from didn't know about it either). So make sure that everything is right before you drive off.
  • por2gesfiremanpor2gesfireman Member Posts: 16
    Well everyone I finally brought my baby home today, my jeep is a 2003 Rubicon in Inca Gold, with all the fixins like dual top, sentry key, auto dim rear view, 7 speaker CD sterio, leather steering with cruise, I'd been looking 4 about 3 months 4 the one I wanted & was going back & forth about new or used & found this one basically in mint condition in San Francisco about 1.5 hours west, so I went & checked it out & two weeks later it's finally sitting in my garage :) as you can tell I'm pretty excited about it. Well be expecting many many more ?'s from me and thanks again for all the help this site has provided me, Mike A. (p.s. I'll get pics up ASAP)
    Mike:

Congratulations! Man, A RUBICON! Yeeeeeeeehawwwwwwww!!!!!!!

You live 1.5 hrs east of Frisco? Man, you must live very near the Rubicon Trail, right??? You must have gorgeous scenery all around you.

Sounds like you are definitely in a great place to drive a Jeep.

Tom

What I meant by tougher tranny was the 44's front/rear vs the standard 30. I consider the diffs, driveshaft, transmission box, etc all part of the transmission from a generic point of view... I probably should have worded it a bit different.

I would like to THINK that they would offer heavier duty components in the drivetrain (driveshaft, U-joints, transmission box and t-case). Instead of the axle (D30/35) being the weak spot, the weak spot just shifts to another component in the system. That is one thing I would LOVE to see DC do with the Rubi to differentiate it a bit more. Maybe contract with some of these aftermarket makers of driveshafts and U-joints to sell stronger components as part of the Rubicon package...

Sorry for any confusion. :) I've been doing presentations at work and the tie is cutting circulation to the brain

-Paul
    Besides being a good read by Clive Cussler, that color is very striking on a Jeep. Congrats to the new owners out there! 1.5 hours east of Frisco puts you pretty close to Sacramento doesn't it? Getting to the Rubicon wouldn't be too much effort and DEFINITELY worth a trip if you can manage it and want to take that challenge.

-Paul
    Well, Paul, in the future, let's be careful not to let work interfere with Jeep stuff. :)

Tomster

I really like that Inca Gold color - good choice. You certainly live in an area with lots of great trails. Do I hear a trip coming up soon to Lake Tahoe? Even if you don't try the Rubicon Trail right away, there's so many other beautiful trails to choose from. I'm envious - I still haven't figured out a way to see Yosemite this spring where the waterfalls are just incredible this year.
  • por2gesfiremanpor2gesfireman Member Posts: 16
    Yosemite is beautiful especially this time of year, my wife & I actually got married there last October, yes the Rubicon is about 2.5 hours away and can't wait for my first trip there with some other new wrangler friends, you should visit Yosemite if you ever get a chance you'd be amazed how many people live this close and have never been, we try to go at least twice a year. Ya Inca gold is definitly a unique color which caught my eye very fast. Just to let you know I was 2 for 3 on jeep waves (the 3rd guy was on a cell phone haha) well you all have a good day
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    The Rubi does have stronger U-Joints than other Wranglers. I forget the measurements, but they are larger or thicker...sorry, I'm not a mechanic.
  • keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    I've got an inca gold rubicon sitting on my desk...1:18 scale. I have never seen that color on a real Jeep, I think they only used it in 2003. Congrats.

Congrats to Norm on the new Wrangler as well!
    Too bad EVERYBODY seems to go in the spring. We were there a few years ago in early May to catch the falls... *sigh* did some great hiking around there. That's one of the things I miss about Cali - the incredible scenery!

-Paul
  • karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    ... picked her up last night. 05 Unlimited, Auto, bright silver, Pkg H, Dual Tops, pretty much has all the bells and whistles. Still need get used to it... almost fell getting out of it this morning.. and I have to use these things called "keys" to lock/unlock my doors... but it's all good! I have many many questions but I suppose I'll go and read the owner's manual first and watch the video tape ;)

Also, I have to say that the ride on pavement is at least as smooth (if not better) than my 00 Montero Sport SUV... so all those silly reviews that say the ride is still rough, I say HAH!

Right now the hard top is on, and I have a rather "crowded" garage, so I can't take the hard top off til I get the storage dolly.. which of course is back-ordered now until mid-June at all the places I checked... grrr!! :mad: Guess I'll have to wait til July before I can go "topless".
    Karl:

Hey, CONGRATS on that brand new Unlimited. She sounds like a real beauty!

Keep us posted on how you are enjoying that Jeep.

Tom

Congrats on the Unlimited. The longer wheel base does help provide a nicer ride and the extra sound insulation I imagine does help significantly in noise over the SWB version.

Does your garage have storage space or height above the Jeep? You might want to consider one of the hard top hoists and store it above your jeep. Doesn't take up any floor space. :)

-Paul
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    Yeah, that silver is a great color... saw one on the road last week. I'm hoping to get mine within two weeks, and was all for the "Patriot Blue" until I saw the silver with the tops down... looks hot!
  • norcalwhlrnorcalwhlr Member Posts: 3
    Hey all, I'm fairly new to the Jeep scene. I recently bought a '97 Wrangler w/ a 4 cylinder. My question is... How difficult would it be to swap out the 4 cylinder for a 6? Thanks
    Welcome to Edmunds and congrats on the Jeep! Even the 'older' Jeeps are a lot of fun. I'm thinking of mine sitting out in the parking lot and wishing I could go for a drive.

You need to consider transmission replacement as well, as well as all wiring for it, possibly the computer for it, etc. I have a 97 4 popper too and while it isn't like my other cars on the highway, it does okay. It does a LOT better out here in Alabama, Tennessee, and Kentucky than it did at the 4000+ foot elevations I lived in back in soCal.

Probably cost more than it would be worth to do it right. If you are concerned about offroad performance, the 4 does VERY well and actually has good gearing for it. If you want to go with larger tires, the 4 is only part of the problem. The real problem is the strength of a Dana 35 in the rear turning huge tires. The likelihood of snapping the axle is higher with larger tires, and goes up even more if you lock it.

If you are concerned about highway performance, the 4 doesn't really have it unless it is flat and/or you have a tailwind. Uphill or otherwise windy... forget it. :)

I spent less on my used 97, but that allowed me to do probably more modifications than my wife otherwise would have let me get away with. :) When it is all said and done, my mods probably cost as much as the vehicle itself. So consider that as well.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but the engine swap IS an involved process and unless you are doing all the labor yourself (and know what you are doing), it may be more of a headache and wallet-breaker than you realize.

-Paul
    Karl - Congrats on the new Unlimited! I suppose not only do you have to get used to using keys to open it, you'll also have to get used to the crank windows. Of course, you could have gotten a SWB model with half doors and then you'd be having to get used to the zippers (crank windows are so much better than zippers).

The Unlimited's ride isn't bad at all - but if you are comparing it to a Lexus, then it IS rough. Compared to a 2 1/2 ton military truck, it's absolute luxury. So it's all perspective and the reviewers have to say something to warn the unsuspecting buyer that it isn't a sports or luxury car.
    it is funny at different peoples reactions to riding in a jeep.

my boss ( who is a farm boy at heart ) hated the jump up to get in. I don't think he'll ask me to drive next time, or he will suggest we take the boring volvo.

today, I needed to run out and look at a new house under construction with another lender. he really seemed to enjoy the top down; wind in the hair ride.

jeff
    I picked up my jeep today at 2 pm and It is so nice I will probley load pictures tomorrow. 60 miles on the odometer and it has already been off road and it handled it nicely. Oh if you guys forgot it is a 2005 Wrangler X 6-speed with the inline 6
    Dan
    Dan:

CONGRATULATIONS!

Yeah, let's see some pics!

Happy for ya, dude. All you new Jeep owners are brightening my life. I get just about as excited over someone else getting a Jeep as I do over my own Jeep.

Yeeeeeehawwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!

Tom

• norcalwhlrnorcalwhlr Member Posts: 3
    Thanks alot Paul! the reason for my considering the swap is: I live in Sacramento, CA and do alot of trips up to Tahoe. I haven't taken the Jeep up there yet, but, there are some pretty steep grades and I'm doubtful that the 4 banger will perform well. I traded in my 2000 F350 turbo diesel for the Wrangler, so as you might imagine I'm used to zippin on up the mountains without a problem.

I've owned my own shop for quite a while so I'm fairly confident on doing the job myself. Thanks again
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    As you seem intent on doing this swap your best bet is to have a complete (maybe an accident write off) donor vehicle alongside.

Many minor items are involved, but the major ones include the PCM and associated wiring, radiator and shroud, engine mounts, exhaust, transmission, transfer case (or the input shaft), front and rear propeller shafts...........all I can think of for now.

It's normally cheaper (and much easier) to sell the SE and buy a Sport or similar.

Either way, you should enjoy the 4.0 in the mountains.