Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    Is it just me, or do others find it amazing that Tom isn't overcome with an urge to (shudder) get a new Jeep given all these new owners? Actually, I think it speaks volumes for his satisfaction with Thelma Jane - - especially given his previous "fickle" history with vehicles. Has it been 5 years yet, Tom?

Also, I spent part of last week helping my son move home from his first year of college in New Mexico. So I drove my '98 SE (4-banger) a total of some 1600 miles there and back, and all in all it did well. Headwinds through Amarillo are a factor for the 4, as are headwinds and steep hills in southern NM. It just doesn't want to crank along at 75 mph under those conditions. Felt like a tractor-trailer driver with all the required downshifting.....

We did manage to do a few days of backpacking in the Gila Wilderness near Silver City, NM. Eugene (my Jeep; I know - - how original) really prefered driving thru the mountains at much more reasonable speeds. Didn't do much off-road this trip, but we did scout out some awesome areas. For those not familiar, this is also a very impressive part of the USA! Plus we spent time with my wife's aunt and uncle living in Silver. They're both retirees with a newly-fanned burning desire to get their own Jeep. Of course, I did my part to fuel those flames!

If I can re-read old posts and master the picture deal, I'll post a couple. If not, I know my son can!
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Gary:

It won't be five years until December 8th. Still, going this long, almost 4.5 years, without getting trading fever is a testimony to my love for Thelma Jane. Many of the new folks around here probably don't know about my history of car trading.

I used to walk the floor, lose sleep, and worry myself to death wanting to trade for some particular vehicle. I would always figure out some way, it seemed, to get that vehicle. I would be so happy and so proud, once I had that vehicle. I would wash it and wax it, keep it spotless inside and out, and would not even drive it when the roads were wet, if there was any way to avoid it.

Well, that great love would last about six month to one year, and then I thought I would just die if I didn't get the next vehicle that caught my fancy. Once again, I would trade, even though I owed so much on the one I was trading in. The pattern would continue, and I would be tired of that vehicle and dying for something else within a year.

Car dealers LOVED me! They named children after me. Some of them were injured trying to be the first to greet me when I pulled onto the lot.

When I bought Thelma Jane, I was buying my THIRD brand new vehicle in 21 months! I traded in an 8 month old 2000 Grand Prix GT, which I had bought when I traded in a 13 month old 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. I was $8,000 upside down on trade-in on the Grand Prix, despite getting $1000 more than average trade-in value for it!!!! I took out a home equity loan to retire $6000 of that debt, and I carried the other $2000 over into the Jeep loan.

Fortunately, it worked out well for me. I have finally found the vehicle I can grow old with. Thelma Jane was what I had been looking for and didn't know it.

I have absolutely no desire to trade her in for anything, not even for a brand new Jeep. I have added my mods to her, and I still have more to go. She already has her dings and scratches from the trails, so I don't have to go through seeing a new Jeep get beat up again.

Jeeps are THE COOLEST VEHICLES IN THE WORLD!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nice place to have relatives to go visit! My wife and I hiked up the Middle Fork of the Gila River one fall and wound up having one of the hot springs (Jordan?) to ourselves for 2 nights.

Thelma Jane is almost 5? That's amazing Tomster. You'll have to buy her a new roll of paper towels come Christmas!

Steve, Host
    Steve-
    We agree! My son and actually hiked the Middle Fork of the Gila as well, along with Little Bear Canyon. We had to share Jordan hot springs, but met some nice people as a consequence. We didn't camp right at the springs, but that would have been very enjoyable! Next time......

Gary
    Will-

I've also got an SE ('98) and actually have been pleased with just adding larger tires. If you just want to give it a more aggressive stance, that might also work for you. The old standard tires and wheels that came on mine looked WW2-like; changing wheels and upgrading to 30 or 31" tires (which shouldn't cause you any problems; check into a plethora of old posts regarding this topic) will have a noticeble effect. My ride improved with the larger tires, and gas mileage was actually the same or perhaps slightly better. Have fun regardless of your decision!

Gary
    The Old Tomster is going to be going to Turkey Bay Saturday, Sunday, and Monday this nice long weekend.

Got a good buddy from the Chicago area coming down for a couple of those days. I took him out on the trails at Turkey Bay for his first time to go wheelin', and the boy was hooked on it BIG TIME. He had those stinkin' 3.07 gears and a Dana 35 rear axle when we hit the trails that day. He got back up there to the Windy City and took that Jeep somewhere for an axle upgrade, new gears, and lockers! He also has a Warn 9.5 Ti winch. (see what I did?) :)

It will be really fun to see David again and his family, and it will be cool to see the vast improvement in the capabilities of that Jeep.

I need to get him to post in here again. He was posting as dchristo. I think he has abandoned us here, but he posts in another Jeep site that I go to. Can't let him get away with dropping out of Edmunds!

Tomster

• keatskeats Member Posts: 412
  • yellowfinyellowfin Member Posts: 8
    Not sure if the 05 Unlimited has the same factory ground clearance, I assume it does. My 31's have plenty of clearance, the tires look semi-aggressive and their is a noticable improvement in handling and road noise.
  • oldscout2oldscout2 Member Posts: 9
    Okay Board I need some advise,

I went into the dealer today and got pricing for a 2005 khaki Unlimited, Standard E package, soft top, 6 -speed with only option of 7 speakers. The gave me a price of 23400 and told me that their invoice was 23200. After some research online It appears to me that the unlimited with the above options has an invoice of around 22700 incl/destination charge. Am I wrong, Anyone know the invoice of for sure?
    Thanks for the help, I hope to join the family soon if I can determine if this price is fair.
    Thanks for any advise.......
    Where did you find the invoice price? Here in Edmunds? If so, Edmunds does not include advertising fees in their invoice price. These are legitimate fees that the dealer has to pay, but they vary from region to region. I guess that's why Edmunds doesn't include them.

There are two line items on the true invoice for ad fees. One is a national ad fee and the other is a regional ad fee. With advertising costing so much more in large market areas, the regional ad fee will be higher there. The total of $500 that we are looking for sounds a little higher than I had to pay, but I am not in a large market area.

If you can buy at $200 over the true factory invoice price, then you are not getting a bad deal at all. That's the deal I got on my Thelma Jane almost five years ago. At that time, $200 over invoice was not being beaten very often at all, and then not by much.

Good luck.

Tomster

• normisnormis Member Posts: 9
    Oldscout,

Your number appears to be correct, but remember that there's a $2,000 incentive out there now ($1,000 of which you get only if you finance through Chrysler).

To give you an idea, I just bought an '05 Unlimited, E Package, 7 Speakers, Side Steps, Leather wrapped steering wheel, floor mats and dual tops, and was out the door (including taxes and tags of roughly $1,500) for $24,200. This is with a "friends and family" type discount (which is 1% below invoice). I think I may have even paid a few hundred too much.

If you use the "TMV" calculator on Edmunds.com, you can get the invoice for the E package and each option. I'd go into the dealer armed with that next time.
  • oldscout2oldscout2 Member Posts: 9
    The dealer is going to review there pricing and give me a call. Lets see where they land. Thanks for your help.

Also they would not take any new orders for 2005, only 2006 model year. They did not know anything about changes for 2006 like new colors etc....
  • norcalwhlrnorcalwhlr Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, I actually haven't decided if I want to do the swap. Right now I'm thinking I'll just keep it as is and like you say trade it in for a 6 sometime in the future
  • koolbreeze2koolbreeze2 Member Posts: 252
    Tom, it sounds like love to me. John
    I just tallied up my overall mileage numbers from the trip to NM. Going there, I averaged 19 mpg. Return trip (more tailwinds), I averaged just over 21 mpg. Combined distance was about 1800 miles. I've got roughly 80k miles, and the BFG 31x10.5 tires. Can't complain, plus gas prices here in OK are typically as low as almost anywhere in the country.">
  • mtgeepmtgeep Member Posts: 1
    Dear forum member,
    I am considering purchasing the Bestop Sunrider, noticed you had a few things to say about it. Do you have any regrets or any advise. I am purching a top this coming week and like to do my homework first.

Thanks,

Michael
  • fatkatfatkat Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks,

I've ordered an 05 Unlimited which is due in sometime this weekend. I'm planning to take the $1000 financing incentive from Chrysler and then pay off the note. This incentive expires in a couple of days (May 31) and I'm thinking it will increase after that to get the 05's off the lot. Has anyone watched how DC has historically handled the incentives to know if this might be true... or should I just take the current rebate and be happy with it.

thanks
    Fatkat:

As soon as I say this, they will make a liar out of me, I guess, but DC has NOT historically done much of anything to move left over Wranglers from previous model years, even when the current model year Wranglers have been on the lots for a long time.

Tomster

P.S.

Welcome! Congrats on the Unlimited!
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I just purchased a 97 TJ with 124k on it with the 2.5.... I knew the girl who owned it and basically didn't change the oil very often... Finally after all the miles, she started having a knock, sounding like a collapsed lifter.. I purchased it anyhow since it was only 500 bucks

Yup, she really saved big time by skipping those oil changes!

ANYHOW, I'm having an oil pressure problem which is probably going to lead me to pulling the oil pan and checking/replacing the pump....

You might want to check the actual pressure with a mechanical gauge as you may have a sender problem (if you're lucky). However, you'll often find with a badly sludged engine that you're forever chasing oil related problems. Considering the mileage, and the low purchase price, I think you could fully justify fitting a remanufactured 'long block'.
  • ravagerravager Member Posts: 20
    I just scored a silver '04 Unlimited with 144 miles for around 18 grand. I don't think I could be happier with any other vehicle!

Right off the bat, my daughter and I are geeking off the other Jeepers waving to us when the top is down. The day I drove it off the lot I read the "Rules of the Jeep Wave" from some website and had kiddingly warned my daughter that since we were driving a cherry jeep that we'd have to show all the other jeepers respect first. Next thing we know, we're getting waves left and right and we're giggling like kindergartners. Jeepers are dorks.

I was kinda worried about the "rough" ride, but I can assure anyone that the ride is smoother than even in my '95 S-10. I love the power of the I-6 and am digging that when the a/c is on the jeep doesn't notice even while on the long grade near my home.

I like how customizable this vehicle is. I haven't really started yet but I sold my stock tires for $500 and bought some rubicon 31's for $500 so my net price was $26 for installation. The 31's look MUCH bigger but there is no rub. I do plan a budget 2.5" lift to increase the wow factor.

I use this idea for my hardtop Rachet strap hoist

Anyway this forum rocks, it's great to see so many fans of the jeep here
  • ap70ap70 Member Posts: 2
    Picking up our new Wrangler X tomorrow! I'm interested in testing it's off-road capabilities. How do I find out where I can drive off-road or hook up with a local club?

We have a dealer-installed lift and tire upgrade package and the factory tow hooks. Do I need anything else to get started?
    Thanks!
    a.
  • blue_jepp_wrablue_jepp_wra Member Posts: 24
    here is my beauty
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com
  • barnz_69barnz_69 Member Posts: 75
    Hello everyone! I bought my first jeep about a month ago, and couldn't be happier! I'm just about to turn just 24, but I've always wanted a jeep, as it is my dream car, as it seems to be for everyone here as well! I got a great deal on it ($8500 here in Ontario, perfect body and only 90 000 kms), and I'm pumped for a summer of cruisin' and even perhaps some off-roading!

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself, and say that I am extremely grateful for some of the tips/hints I have already found on this forum (getting those doors off for the first time on a used jeep was quite the adventure!), and with any luck, I will be able to provide my own to fellow jeepers for many years to come! Happy Jeepin', to everyone, and I'm thrilled to finally become part of this awesome community!

PS: tsjay, i've read many of your tips and posts, and it seems you know you're jeep stuff...looking forward to 'absorbing' some of your knowledge! ;)

1997 TJ 4cyl
    5 speed
    black
    NAKED
  • scott919scott919 Member Posts: 17
    Removed the hard top for the summer off my 05 unlimited and this is the first time putting on the soft top. I watched the video knowing that this top is much different than my 95 yj. My problem is that I believe that the door frames that came with it are not correct, I think they are for a standard wrangler. The part of the latch just behind the door that holds the top in place when using the sunrider option is not there, but the upper half of the latch is on the top itself. Am I missing something??? Any help would be appreciated and Ill call the dealer tuesday.
    You should be able to find a local club via the internet.

You don't need much else to get started, but I'd take a strap to fit those tow hooks (one with loops), a first aid kit, a gallon of drinking water (I doubt you'd starve to death, but it's not that hard to get dehydrated), and a cell phone.

Other than that, don't do as I do, do as I say, and go with a buddy! ;)
  • justjoe1justjoe1 Member Posts: 3
    OK everone after lurking here for awhile (and not really knowing why) I find myself at 50 buying a '94 Wrangler, 4.0l auto softop 1/2 door 95000miles,must be a special model as its a blue/green (kinda like moms old bathroom aauquamarinf only a bit darker). Anyway its all preetied up with chrome nose and is in very nice shape. First I want to thank you all for showing me the error of my ways and starting me on the path to Wrangler fandom!
    So the first question (of many I am sure) the only real glitch on this baby is the paint on the windshield frame is getting bubbly, I assume the window was replaced at one time and probably not sealed properly which has cause moisture under the paint and thus some rust. my question then is I have heard horror storys about dropping the windshield, do You recomend I pull the frame completely to sand prime and paint or try it on the truck?
    Thanks and P.S. my wife probably curses you guys right about now ;)
    Tom,

thanks for the info. Last month DC increased the incentive from $750 to $1000 so it looked like they were trying to clear the lots of 05's. The sales manager today said that he doubted there would be any increase, more likely stay the same or a decrease next month. But what does he know :)

And by the way, I wish I could have hugged my Jeep today but it still
    isn't here yet. Maybe tomorrow????
    You picked a good one for your first question. Normally I'd say pull the frame to do it, but if it's only minor bubbling and there are no leaks from under the frame I think I'd leave it in place. When it's that old the hinges will probably be seized and disturbing the seal between the frame and the cowl will probably damage it.

However, the frame is hollow, and if it's rusting through from the inside out then replacement is the only realistic solution unless the damage is very localized.
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    I'm hesitant to say anything cuz I don't want to screw you up, but going back to 2003, I noticed that the "limited time only" incentives lasted pretty much all year, beginning to end, holidays and non-holidays. For Wranglers that year they offered 0.9/1.9/2.9 percent financing or $1500.00 cash back. Dealers always told me, "Well, you better buy now 'cause you don't know how long you'll be getting that deal..." Hogwash. But that was then....

-Mike
  • will_sebergerwill_seberger Member Posts: 6
    I hate to post with a problem, but I have a question for all you Jeep owners. I have a brand-new SE 4-cyl. 6sp. with 264 miles on it. The last few days, I've noticed that there's a ringing (think disc brake wear warning ringing, but more muffled) in all gears and neutral from 0-2000 rpms. I can make the ringing stop by very lightly putting pressure on the clutch pedal OR by revving the transmission over 2000-2200 rpms. The vehicle shifts fine, does not stall, or otherwise misbehave with regard to the mechanics.

Is this a break-in thing that I shouldn't worry about, or should I really worry?

The vehicle is going to the dealer this week to get the locking center console installed, so perhaps I'll ask then. I just don't want to 'borrow any trouble' so to speak.

Thanks
    Ravager:

Welcome to this forum, and CONGRATS on that Unlimited! It sure seems like most folks who have just bought Jeeps and come to this board have bought the Unlimited rather than the short wheel base Wranglers. Must be that extra cargo room is all that was needed for some folks to pull the trigger. I would definitely have to consider the Unlimited, if I were in the market right now.

Stick around and keep us posted on how you and that new Jeep are getting along.

Once again, congratulations.

Tomster

AP:

Congratulations on your new Jeep! Welcome to this forum.

I'm glad to hear that you are interested in off roading that Jeep, and if you happen to live close enough to come to Turkey Bay with me, I would be happy to take you out on the trails and help you get started in the wonderful sport of off roading. Turkey Bay is in Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area in western Kentucky.

Check out my website for some advice on how to get started with your off roading. Feel free to contact me with any questions, or just post 'em here. My email is public in my profile, if you need to communicate with me off the board.

Here's a link to my website. This link takes you to the section of the website that pertains to newbies getting started in their off roading, but please check out the whole thing.

http://home.earthlink.net/~tsjay50/id6.html

Tomster

• denmasterdenmaster Member Posts: 8
    Well guys, Steve told me I can count on you motor heads to point me in the right direction. I purchased this Jeep for $500 bucks with what I thought was a single valve train tap. (by the way, other than that, it's in excellent shape - new top wouldn't hurt.) SO ANYHOW, she told me before i purchased it, the oil changes had beed skipped from time to time...... I pulled the valve cover off to begin the journey and I found just what I thought.....massive coking / sludge. Ran her at idle, possibly one push rod - I was trying to isolate possibly which lifter may have been collapsed- couldn't pin point it down. SO, pulled the rockers out, push-rods out, removed all lifters for replacement, and last while I had all that apart - went ahead and replaced the valve guide stem seals......... cleaned everything up, installed the above in reverse and basically have the same noise but not quite as loud... Now i have a oil pressure problem as well which may have been the original problem even though it displayed good pressure at the time. IF i'm pointed upward on a sloped drive, the JEEP maintains 40-50 psi. Take her down the road for two miles and first mile plus, good pressure.... I return home with zero indication, yet pull up in to the drive way and shortly i have normal oil pressure....... let the JEEP COOL DOWN "on level ground" oil quantity is right at the top hash mark................HELP............. HELP................HELP.............. thanks for any help, DENMASTER
    That's a beautiful Jeep, blue_jepp_wrangler! Congratulations!

Be sure and post about your first impressions.

Tom

Denmaster:

This is Mac24's area, not mine, but one thought is that maybe you have the wrong type of oil filter on that Jeep??? Probably not the case, but it is something easy to check out. The wrong filter or an improperly functioning filter could cause pressure fluctuations.

I guess someting in the oil pan that intermittently blocks the oil inlet screen for the suction side of the oil pump might be the culprit. Maybe some of that sludge broke loose and a chunk of it blocks the oil flow until the Jeep is parked headed uphill?

Tom

Ryan:

Welcome to Edmunds Jeep Wrangler! Congrats on your first Jeep!!!

Thanks for the kind words, and you are very welcome for any help I might have been. I'll accept your thanks on behalf of Mac24 and others here who post good, reliable information also. We are all proud that this place is a source of ACCURATE info, unlike so many places you might find on the Net.

It's good to have you with us, Ryan, and I am very happy that you got your "dream vehicle." Wish I had realized the extreme coolness of Jeeps at your age. :(

Stick with us and be an active member. Let us hear about your good times with that Jeep.

Tom

Joe:

Welcome!

Hey, I didn't get Wrangler Fever until age 51, so you are actually ahead of me there.

I am certainly not the one to answer your question on body work or painting. I have no experience in that area. Bet you'll get a good answer from someone here, though.

Congratulations on finally "seeing the light." Keep us posted on how things are going. It's good to have you with us, Joe.

Tomster

P.S.

I see that Good Ole Mac came through for ya with a good answer to your question. I had somehow missed his post when I wrote the above.
    Will:

Hopefully, someone will have an answer for ya.

I have no experience with the new 6 speed manual tranny, but the old NV3550 five speed had a quirky noise when the engine was at idle and the tranny was in neutral with the clutch out. It sounded like marbles rolling around in a tin can. You could push the clutch in, and the noise would go away instantly. This noise was just a quirk of the NV3550, and it did not indicate a problem.

Maybe there is some particular noise associated with the new six speed tranny?

Tomster

Where did you sell your "slightly used" stock tires? Did the dealership buy them back or you just sold them locally?
    Maybe I didn't make it clear enough in my answer to you yesterday mac24, "Jeep Wrangler" #17590, 29 May 2005 10:39 am, but a high mileage heavily sludged engine is going to be an ongoing source of problems.

Without hot tanking and pressure cleaning the oil galleries, you'll always have intermittent pressure problems as the sludge moves around. It's likely that the knocking you have is either a main or rod end bearing. If you strip the engine to try to clean it you'll probably find that at 124K the crank needs regrinding, the bores need honing (at least), the camshaft and followers need replacing, and on, and on, and on.

Which is why I recommended yesterday that you just install a 'long block' and save yourself a lot of grief. Having paid $500 for the Jeep you can easily justify the cost of fixing the engine properly. So, the answer is still the same today as it was then (unless you have skills and tools to strip, clean, machine, and rebuild the existing engine with the appropriate new parts).

Edit: A 'long block' is a completely assembled block and head without any ancilliary items like starter or alternator. A 'short block' is an assembled block only. Finally a 'crate motor' is a new fully assembled complete engine ready to drop right in.
    i truly appreciate your input and to be honest as well, i totally agree it's time for a long block.... DO YOU THINK THAT IT WOULD BE BETTER GOING THE LONG BLOCK ROUTE OR OVERHAUL THIS ONE? you're probably going to tell me with the way it was taken care of, a long block would most likely be a better choice....????
    ANYHOW- i'm new to this forum and didn't pull up the first response until I finally found the second. I believe i am getting it, but for those who read this- I am new - new and any help is appreciated. !!!!
    THANK YOU (MAC24)....... Is there anyway we can email each other- directly??????
    ********* guess what, ran her for 20 miles today, no problem........ But what the hell, i'm already in the mood with pulling lifters, changing valve stem seals of which i never did either one before.... I guess being an A&P MECHANIC for united airlines kind of helped except I quit after 17 years... TAKE CARE GUYS, (DEN MASTER) :)
    How can you tell the difference between lifter, main or rod knock -- Just thought I would ask.. DEN MASTER
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is there anyway we can email each other- directly??????

And deprive everyone else of valuable knowledge? :)

tidester, host
    It's a bit like trying to describe a color, you just get to recognise it by experience.

However, in your case it's I'm guessing that it's most likely to have been a rod bearing as the soft metal bearings usually fail first when deprived of oil, especially the ones under a reciprocating load.

You can email me directly if it's absolutely necessary, but the whole idea of the forum is to share the questions and answers among the participants (and the lurkers!).

If you had a well maintained engine with 124K that had suffered a single component failure I'd say go ahead and fix the problem. However, you have a poorly maintained 124K engine that could expire at any moment. If it was mine I'd fit a long block, be back on the road in a day, and be happy that I'd got a warranty as well.
    MR. (MAC24) -- Since a long block is the solution to the 2.5, How hard would it be to install the 4.0...
    I realize the core price might be different and fan shroud probably a change, along with many other minor details???? I since you have impressed me with your knowledge right from the git-go, who has the absolute best LONG BLOCK or even a couple other recommendations.
    ******* THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP AS WITHOUT A DOUBT, YOU HAVE THAT MECHANICAL TOUCH, ( the midas touch) +++++ DENMASTER :) :P
    Check this recent post for an answer to the 4.0 question: mac24, "Jeep Wrangler" #17570, 26 May 2005 9:31 pm

For the best engine supplier you need to check around locally. It's no good getting a great deal thousands of miles away, then paying freight, then paying it again if you're unlucky enough to have to use the warranty. Ask the guys at some local shops who they'd use for an engine for their own vehicle.
    I was going to suggest that you just go ahead and put a 4.0 in there. You will need to change the tranny, though, as the one they use for the four banger will not handle the torque of the 4.0 L engine.

Not sure how expensive the transmission would be.

Tom

• wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Did I mis-understand? I thought you had a three day wheelin thing going this weekend.

Terry
    A quick internet search indicates you'll pay around $1000 for a re-manufactured long block.

Mmmmm..........mystery sixteen year old engine (maybe rebuilt, maybe just a coat of paint), just to save $500 against a basically new engine with a warranty? :confuse:

Can you guess which I'd choose? ;)
    I thought ALL YJ's (87-95 Wranglers) with the four bangers were fuel injected?? The sixes got fuel injection starting in 91, but the four bangers were always fuel injected in the YJ years, as I understand it.

Be careful, Den. And, in my opinion, paying $500 for a used 2.5L is NOT a great deal.

Mac???

Tomster