Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Subaru Outback

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    Does the car have autostart? Does the problem happen in one place only, or any where?

My first thought is that there is electronic interference on the car's remote starter frequency, and that is telling the car to start. But, if it happens anywhere, that's probably not the case.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hope they add a video review as well.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    They don't seem to notice the vastly improved handling and transmission! I drove a friends 2013 last week and it handled like the world's largest sports car! The lack of lean and clean transition on fast left to right tight curves was totally different from the sloppy handling of the previous model.
  • triumphertriumpher Member Posts: 58
    It might handle better than the previous model, but considering it to handle like a sports car is a little far streched. It handles much clumsier than my 3.6 Liter passat with the sports package, which in turn is not as nimble as my Audi Quattro TT.

I have to admit, it handles much better than my old 2003 Outback and a lot better than my liftet Jeep!
  • jeffm5jeffm5 Member Posts: 123
    I think what CR said is that the 2013 doesn't handle that much better than the 2010 OB, which was the first year of the model redo. I have a 2010 & I'd be interested in what others think. Does the 2013 handle better than the 2010?
  • kmartinkmartin Member Posts: 427
    I'm with xwesx on this one. My sis-in-law had an Outback years ago and the alarm would just go off randomly. They never did figure it out for sure, but seemed to almost always happen at work in an open parking lot area. Must've been radio interference from something nearby, they guessed.
    It handles much clumsier than my 3.6 Liter passat with the sports package

I hope your 3.6 doesn't have the front end plow that my W8 Passat had. I have had Audi Quatros that were better...when they weren't in thje shop.
    I think the W8 Passat was a little front heavy, and more or less a test mule for the W8. This engine was rather short lived and never really utilized by VW. for later V8 uses they went with the Audi developed V8 (VW Touareg, Phaeteon). The 3.6 is a very sweet engine (but now also "dead" and replaced by the Audi 3 liter Turbo), and it could be had with up to 360 hp in Germany. What VW calls the Passat sport package in the USA is the RS36 in Europe

We have the 2nd TT and did not have any problems with either of them.

But back to the topic, the 2013 Outback handles very well for a vehicle with an 8.7" ground clearance, and which is slowly leaving the station wagon arena and becoming a crossover SUV.

My 2003 Outback was clearly a station wagon, and it was smaller and quite a bit lower than the 2013, but did not handle as well!
    My 2003 Outback was clearly a station wagon, and it was smaller and quite a bit lower than the 2013, but did not handle as well!

My 2005 6 cylinder Outback with VDC had very bad manners if I tried any sporty driving.......unlike my 2010 Forester XT which by comparison is a drifter!

Subaru handling is getting close to my old 4000S Quatro and at a better price point.
  • andrewp2andrewp2 Member Posts: 5
    I've asked this a few days ago on this thread, but any comparison to the Maxzda CX-5 in terms of handling? Thanks...
    My 2005 6 cylinder Outback with VDC had very bad manners if I tried any sporty driving.......unlike my 2010 Forester XT which by comparison is a drifter!

That's interesting, Dave. I had a 2007 and 2008 Outback (2.5i), and both handled very well. The steering feedback, in particular, was excellent. In comparison, my 2010 Forester's steering feedback is poor. The handling, while decent, is not anywhere near as good as the 3rd gen Outbacks.

I'm surprised that the 3.0L H6 was so much worse, but I guess that extra weight makes a difference! I'm also not sure whether the XT's suspension is sportier than the N/A versions, but it would make heaps of sense if it were.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I have driven the non-turbo Forester as well as my XT and the XT has a quite different feel.

I think the problem with the 2005 6 was the calibration of VDC. The programming was super nanny versus ok-to-the-limit on the 2010 XT.

The other possibility was slow response of the sensors or actuators on that first stability control for Subaru. Five years is an eternity in electronics.
  • lilicanterlilicanter Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone done any extended highway driving in the 2013 Legacy 3.6R or 3.6R limited?
    It's time to retire my 1998 Subee outback and now that I'm making more road trips -- I'd really like to have something quieter. I still live on a dirt road, so definitely want a Subee, but old enough to want a little oomph and luxury in a car. Ideas?
    You might want to drive the 4 cylinder with CVT also. The 2013 has little relationship to earlier models in terms of noise, smoothness and response. The NEW CVT is transformational.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I had my first test drive of the 2001+ Legacy/Outback this week. I'd driven previous models here and there; I rented an '07 some years back, but never actually planned to buy one until recently. I wrote off used Subies as a ridiculous proposition a decade ago.

The local dealer finally had a stick shift car in stock... a bare-bones Legacy, but since there was no MT Outback, I decided to try it out. It was an amazing experience. In this day of look-alike, feel-alike cars, the Legacy was so different it was almost disorienting.

Basically, I couldn't figure out when to shift. The engine is neither smooth nor rough; "gravelly" might describe it. But there are no resonances as you go through the revs, so the sound and feel is very even. I really liked it, but I had a hard time shifting by ear and kept looking at the tach.

The shifter itself was reasonably crisp; not Honda-precise, but not ropey like my Vibe either. I merged onto the freeway at one point and found myself doing 80-some before I knew it. With the manual at least, there is plenty of power in this car. I really liked the feel of it and I think I'll just have to order a 6MT Outback -- later this year or after the salt is gone in the spring.

Just to be sure, I'll drive a CVT before I commit, but I'm pretty much set on the stick... I also have a feeling that manuals won't be around much longer in bread-and-butter cars, so I should get one while I can.

Cheers -Mathias
    Mathias, what did you actually drive? Was it a 2013 Legacy w/ MT?
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    2013 Legacy base, manual transmission. Lots of car for the money.
  • frenchguy007frenchguy007 Member Posts: 28
  • frenchguy007frenchguy007 Member Posts: 28
    Just took possession of my 2013 Twilight blue 3.6R. First impressions between my 2010 3.6R and this one is that the new one has a stiffer suspension and that the cabin is quieter. I am in Canada and my 2010 did not have the nav. system. The bluetooth on that one was a system that was macguyvered to meet the bilingual requirements. This bluetooth appears to work much better than that system.

The computer picked up my contacts on my phone without any problems. I am impressed at how intuitive the system is, well done Subaru.

This is a company car lease so there was no price negotiations involved. I got the 3.6 with puddle lights, fog lights, sill lights, homelink mirror and the remote starter. The only option that I did not get was the eyesight system, not only would it not have fit into my budget but I am not sure that I want a computer taking control of the car.

First impression is that a good car just got better.
    :)
    Congrats. Nice that it's more quiet yet handles better, usually you have to trade those off.
  • glassblower1glassblower1 Member Posts: 12
    Drove a 2013 Outback 3.6. Really liked it too. My concern is how well it will tow a small boat. Trailer and boat weigh in at 2500 lbs with trailer brakes. I know the outback is rated for 3000 lbs but I really wonder if towing occasionally over the mountains (4000 ft altitude) would tear this car apart. Also am considering a Highlander but like the smaller size of the outback. Appreciate any ideas and opinions!
    It's not going to tear the car apart, but it will butcher your fuel economy!
    I figured it would suck alot of gas to tow. Fortunately, I won't be towing that much. I was just concerned if towing would damage the car as the weight is so close to the maximum per subaru. Just wanted to avoid getting an SUV for the few times I needed a tow rig.
    thanks for your imput
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The Highlander is rated to tow 5K, so if that's your main concern, it would probably be the better choice as it has more reserve towing capability. Having said that, I still prefer the Outback as an all-around daily driver vehicle.

Bob
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    Consider the percentage of time and driving that it will be used to tow the boat versus use as a daily driver. A friend of mine once faced this dilemna regarding towing his (moderately lightweight) sailboat. I advised a Jeep with a 4.0 liter 6 but he bought a Chevy pickup with a V-8. Since it was also used as an occassional daily driver he quickly regretted his choice and 6 months later found a Jeep and used it in that capacity for 5 years.

BTW, I'm in Colorado and smiled at the line; "4,000 foot mountains".

easypa
    Good advice easypar, thanks! Our Cascade Mountain passes here in washington are lower than yours in Colorado. Makes it easier to get to the sunny part of our state but then we don't get the fabulous snow conditions for skiing you get in Colorado, which is the other reason for the Outback.
    Here in the East our 3000 ft mountains probably feel like foothills out West.

One comment on towing - you want the rear axle doing as much work as possible, so I'd pick the 45/55 split of the VTD AWD over the Highlander's 100/0 default mode any day.
    I agree with you on both points, juice!

When I was in WV, I characterized the area as "very hilly." One local incredulously replied with something like, "Hilly? We're in the middle of the mountains!" I held my tongue and responded with commenting on how the winters must make navigating the roads challenging.... :blush:
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited August 2012
    I've crossed mountains higher than those east coast mole hills ... in a motor boat *. :P

* Crossed the Continental Divide on a cruise ship while transiting the Panama Canal.
  • jd_24jd_24 Member Posts: 92
    While I'm a big subie fan, in this case I'd pick the Toyota. I'll make the guess you aren't towing with an empty car and no passangers. Once you start adding cargo and passangers, you need to lower the tow rating by the same amount. That is how most(all?) manufacturers base the tow ratings.
    Are you sure about that? If so, they would state the Gross Combined Vehicle Rating (GCVR), at least that is how it is done with my motorhome. But Subaru states the tow rating only.

That would mean, the max weight the vehicle can tow, regardless is the vehicles interior load (as long as that meets the stated weight limit.
    I'd actually load cargo in the car, since you don't want the tail wagging the dog.
  • jd_24jd_24 Member Posts: 92
    edited August 2012
    That's exactly what I'm getting at. Nearly all manufactures show a GCWR and have some tow rating (example 3000lbs). Most also have a small footnote hidden somewhere that the max tow rating is caluculated with only the driver and no cargo, additional passangers and cargo will reduce towing capacity. Subaru tends to just give a number and nothing more. It is noted as a maximum.

I'm making the assumption the max is calculated like others, your making the assumption its the tow rating dispite cargo and passengers. Either of us could be correct. Subaru doesn't say.

I searched the on-line owners manual and it didn't even reference towing with the car, but only having the car towed.
    My Impreza has a GVWR of 4200 something (bad memory) posted in the door frame next to the PSI suggestions. It doesn't have a GCWR (combined wieght) probably since its not suggested to tow anything.

Does the Outback have a GVCR in the door frame? I can't check my 2001 Outback at the moment and the '12 models are totaly different anyway.
  • grdma2grdma2 Member Posts: 3
    Just recently purchased a 2013 Outback, Limited. I would like to know what type of tire chains are available for this model? Thanks for the help.
  • 2013ob2013ob Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2012
    In all the years I grew up in snow and the mountains, not once have I used tire chains. Chains to the best of my knowledge are only required for commerical vehicles (18 wheelers) and cars that are 2WD when signs are posted for snow conditions---it does not apply to 4WD or AWD. If you have AWD or 4WD, you will never be required to put chains on a vehicle. Every vehicle I own or owned in the past 20 years has been or is either AWD/4WD and not once have I had an issue getting through snow (lots of it) Lake Tahoe or the Northern Utah mountains. This is my 2nd Outback (had a 2012 2.5i Premium) and it had no issues whatsoever getting through the snow. In addition, I have never seen an Outback with chains on it. If anything or added security for peace of mind, put snow tires on in the winter
    Not only would it be difficult to find chains, but Subaru is not recomending them!
    You are correct, an Outback with "real" winter tires on is hardly stoppable!

We live here in winter wonderland (Minnesonwta), and winter tires on my 2003 Outback were all it was needed to get us through!
    Low profile Z-chains used to fit on older Subarus. Clearance is kinda tight.
    I bought a set of four SCC Whitestar (WS1614) chains for my Forester earlier this summer. I test fit them, and they fit great, but I haven't used them yet. Honestly, I may never use them, but I have found the limits of its ability with good winter tires before, and these should push that capability even further should the need arise.
  • vincergvincerg Member Posts: 7
    Hello too all:

In my 2013 Outback I have a Harman/ Kardon Premium Sound w/ navigation. In the center console there is an USB slot. I loaded an MP3 song on the memory card to try it out but it wouldn't play it or recognize the USB memory card. Am I doing something wrong? The manual is quite thick as I am when it comes to making sense of its content. It recognizes the CD's but not the USB card. Perhaps it uses something other than a USB memory card in the console slot? Many thanks to whatever help can be passed on to me & my problem.

Regards, Vince
  • newgreencar13newgreencar13 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2012
    -----We own the 2013 Outback 3.6R Limited, and got the car last Thursday (8/23), and absolutely LOVED it...for about 4 days and <150 miles. On a quick evening jaunt, suddenly the check engine light came on (solid) as well as the cruise control (blinking), brake light (blinking), and traction control (solid). There was no obvious loss of power, but we pulled over and called our sales guy that we bought the car from. He said to have it looked at by the dealership.
    -----As I was driving it "cold" (hadn't been used that day yet) out of my driveway to the dealership the next day, I noticed that the transmission had a higher-pitch "whine" to it when accelerating at low speeds. We intentionally bought the 3.6L (6 cylinder) engine because we wanted to avoid the CVT "whine" from that tranny. I am a mechanical engineer, and so I tend to pay attention to these details.
    ------The first appt at a near-dealership took 2 hours (quoted 20-30 min) and left me frustrated. They pulled code P1843 (transmission pressure sensor malfunction) and said that the transmission wiring harness connection was not fully connected, so they did that, and then cleared the problem codes so that the lights would go off on the dash. The car still whined and I decided to take it in again.
    -----The second service trip (today) to a farther-dealership is still in process&#151;they gave me a loaner car and sent me home. They hadn&#146;t heard the whine (possibly the 30 min drive warmed up the tranny), and so they wanted to keep it overnight.
    -----However, I learned from the service tech that code P1843 has been associated with a Subaru Service Bulletin that involved a buildup of "manufacturing sediment" in the transmission. A first try fix is to flush the transmission, and if that doesn&#146;t work, then a very expensive ($900) part of the transmission (head? I can't remember) would need to be changed. Unfortunately, the near-dealership had cleared the code from memory, and Subaru's policy is that if the code is not currently showing, then they can't perform the Service Bulletin work under warranty.
    -----Has anyone else seen these issues in a brand-new 2013 Subaru Outback 3.6L 6 cylinder? Check engine light on solid, other lights flashing, and a newly whiny/whining transmission sound? This is our first Subaru, and hopefully they can resolve this so that we can have many thousands of happy miles to come!
    Good luck and keep us posted. Let them know an on-line community is following your case to motivate them to get to a resolution.

Can I ask for a few hard returns, white space, to make your posts easier to read?
  • onyxboxonyxbox Member Posts: 1
    Suprised to find this!
    Last night (Aug. 31) we drove off the lot a green 2013 Outback 2.5i and were a mere 2 miles down the road and the exact same warning lights came up on our dash plus we had the AT Oil Temp light (solid). As it was the end of the day, the dealer was closed and we were close to home, we went home for the night.

After talking with the dealer first thing in the morn we drove it "cold" to the dealership where they drew a code P2762 from their dignostics.

They managed to clear all the alerts and we went for a healthy test drive with the tech. and all was ok but Murphy's law - 1/2 a mile from leaving the dealer the dash light up again. Much head scratching back at the dealership.

As there is no immediate service bulletin associated with that dignostic code, and it being the long weekend, we are forced to wait till next tuesday for any information from Subaru.

Talk about killing the euphoria / excitement of buying a new car...
    That end of summer road trip is not the same in a loaner car :(

Will be curious to see how your issues are resolved and if these problems are possibly related.

Cheers
    Sorry...new to the forum and for some reason I wan't able to get the "hard return" working that day.
    I think it's working today.
    Thanks.
    Hi onyxbox,

So, some good news on our saga...the second farther-dealership ended up flushing our transmission for us, based on that Service Bulletin. I know that they DID mention that an "oil light" on the dash was also associated with this Service Bulletin. I'm not sure if your code P2762 was actually related or not (they wouldn't allow me to get a copy of the bulletin), but it may be worth you asking!

Our whining transmission issue seems to be the norm. We did test drive a completely different 2013 Outback 3.6L just yesterday to see what it would sound like, and it had a very similar "whine". (I think ours is slightly louder, but I'm giving up for now.)

Time will tell...we hope this fixes ours for good! We are trying to get past all of this and back to enjoying our new car. Good luck with your issue, and hopefully you can enjoy yours soon too! Thank goodness for this forum, or else I'd feel we were the only ones on the planet with an issue with a new Subaru...
  • yeti123yeti123 Member Posts: 1
    The SD slot is where the navigation SD goes. You can also put you own photos on the system that way. Look in the navigation book and it will walk you through how to do it. I also bought a 2013 Outback 3.6 Premium with every single option and spent an hour playing with the Harman/Kardon system today... Best
  • bbmdbbmd Member Posts: 4
    Heard from person giving the factory tour last week that the Outback was due for a major facelift next year (2014), but in the past these vehicles have usually gone 5 years before a major revision and the last major revision of the Outback was in 2010 so I would not think the next major revision would occur before 2015. Does anyone know? Any idea as to what future modifications might be in the works- I've read rumors about a hybrid. Wish they would add a Blind Spot warning system to the Eye Sight system (I personally think this is a more important safety feature than the lane departure warning) and turn signals in the outside mirrors to all Outbacks, not just those with the Special Appearance package.
  • outbacknumber2outbacknumber2 Member Posts: 1
    Bought might on 8/8/12 2.5 days later and at 250 miles had p0700, p1843. Dealer found nothing, eventually flushed fluid, checked wiring- They bought my car back and replaced with new one- Knock on something... New one now 500+ miles and no issues at one week off lot. check out subaruoutback dot org for more info
  • ljnymdljnymd Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    I also got the 13 outback with eyesight and navi and have trouble believing they are made by the same company. The eyesight is excellent and appears to have thoughtfully addressed many tough challenges in that new technology. I use it s the time.

The navi on the other hand is awful. It is bad enough that it has a clunky interface and takes many more steps to find new destinations. What is worse is that it makes stupid mistakes such as the voice announcing "Exit the highway" when the display clearly indicates you have many miles to go before the next turn. Also, the decision rule for how long before a turn you get the audible warning seems highly inconsistent, ranging from 1000 ft to forgetting altogether; and the speed of the car seems to have nothing to do with it. You can buy an aftermarket model for $100 that is much better than this one.

I dont get it, the company has really done a great job on a brand new and tough technogy, and then failed on something that had been done well bay many companies for 10 years! I am hoping gor and update on the navi software, at least to fix the errors, I can get used to the interface.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    Picked our new unit up on Wednesday and turned 100 miles on the clock yesterday. I was allowed to drive a few of those miles and a couple of things jump out at me:

Smoother ride than my '10 Legacy. Overall length is about 2" more so I'm guessing that enough of that is in the wheelbase that it makes a difference.

The inflatable LUMBAR SUPPORT. OK, I've only ever driven one import that had one that could match the full size Ford/Mercury/Lincoln products that were our company cars, and that was the Infiniti M (older ones). One of my buddies had one and he and I used to take it on golf outings and we would alternate driving. It was really great in that Infiniti.

This new OB lumbar support is right up there with those units. Much better than in the Lexus we traded for this unit. So much so that I won't be taking my little foam pad one with me when we head off on our road trip next week.

Glad we have a real temperature gauge now, although cars overheating is not something that seems to be much of an issue like it was in the 50's and 60's. Better engines now!

The fuel economy gauge was a bit off-putting at first but I'm used to it now.

I should have much more in a couple of weeks when we get back from Cincinnati.

easypar