Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Volt

2»

Comments

• highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    hello....

we are thinking about a chevy volt. What do you guys think ?

We were offered a fully loaded Premium package, safety 1 & 2, Navigation, for $39,900.

Before dealer incentives .

This is my first time posting in 5 years...
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,906
    Welcome back after 5 years. What year Volt are you looking at. There are still a lot of 2011 & 2012s left for sale. If you are in CA there is a cutoff date for getting certain incentives. Chevy made some changes in the 2013 model to get CA to accept the Volt for HOV lane access. A loaded one with the features you show has a TMV of $37,248. That includes the current $5000 cash off that started August 1st. Looks like you should be able to get them down another $2700. Before the $7500 tax credit if you can use that this year.
  • Are you saying there are a lot of "brand new" 2011 and 2012 Volt's still out there?

I was not aware of that.

I have a 2012 leased, but would be interested in a "super" deal on another!
    Both Autotrader and Cars.com list several hundred new 2011 & 12s. have no idea what kind of deals. There is over 5000 2013 left out there. Should be dealing according to Edmunds TMV.
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    Well, we were looking at 2013 new. the Newer model.

Best price we got was $ 39,700 with premiumpackage, safety 1 & 2, and Nav. Before the $5000 dealer incentive.

thanks
  • So $34,700 ... now did you include the 7,500 government rebate in that number?

I suppose there are probably still some state rebates also.... but none in Nevada that i know of.
    Looks like GM is slashing another $5000 off the MSRP of the Volt. Wait a while they may be in boxes of Cracker Jacks.

2013 Chevrolet Volt (GM)

General Motors Co. is slashing the price of its plug-in hybrid Chevrolet Volt by $5,000, making it the latest automaker to lower prices of electric vehicles in the face of lagging consumer demand.

The Detroit-based automaker said it will cut the base price 12.5 percent, from $39,995 to $34,995. The price cut comes just weeks after the automaker announced a $5,000 give-back on the 2012 Volt and $4,000 on the 2013 model.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130806/AUTO0103/308060026/1148/rss25
  • hihostevohihostevo Posts: 59
    edited August 2013
    Thank you for that information and link......

The question it brings up in my mind is... does this replace the "give-back" price-cuts or is it in addition to?

In other words if the base car MSRP is now $34,995 is there another $4k give back that brings the price for a 2013 model down to $30,995 before the $7,500 government rebate?

Or did they just replace the $4k give back with the across the board $5k drop in MSRP?

Thanks for your time and info,
  • hihostevohihostevo Posts: 59
    edited August 2013
    Well Chevy is really confusing me now... at a time when there are apparently still Brand New 2012 Volts available (unsure how many but there are a bunch of 2013's still on the lots) they have dropped the MSRP on 2014 Volts by $5k and are also offering a $5k discount on 2013 models.

Now as the new 2014 Volt's are supposedly hitting the dealers lots starting this week... that means the price of either a 2013 Volt or 2014 Volt is the same (except for any year to year price changes).

Which begs the question WHY would GM do that. If you are presented with a 2013 and 2014 model for essentially the same price... who would buy the 2013?

Unless they have all gone off their collective "rockers" I cannot understand why there is not an additional incentive to move the 2013 models?
    If you are serious about the Volt and plan on keeping it a while, I would get the newest one you can. Those batteries are not holding full charge as long as they had hoped for. Better yet just lease for 3 years and give it back or trade for a new one. I have no clue why they are not heavily discounting the 12s and 13s. Maybe they think people are just stupid.
  • I definitely agree with the Lease concept at this time. There is going to be too many price changes as manufacturing ramps up on the various parts of EV automobiles. For that reason I think the lease option is currently the one that makes me the most comfortable. I currently lease a 2012 Volt [which my youngest son has taken control of :-) ], but I am always looking around for a "good deal" on a worthwhile product. My Prius has over 80k on it and doing wonderfully, however if a "deal" popped up I am ready.

Now GM/Chevy have been selling cars longer than I have been around... but their current pricing is completely baffling to me. I keep hoping someone will explain that there is something I am "missing."

There certainly is not enough dealer markup in the Volt to allow them to give a lot of preference to the 2013 models to move them... but that is what it looks like Chevy is doing to me... they are expecting the dealer network to just suck it up and whore out the remaining 2013's and try and hold firm on the pricing of the '14 models until they can empty their lots. That is quite a bit to ask of a dealer network that has been getting squeezed on both ends for the last few years.
  • Hi, can some one help to calculate the deal for buying a 2013 or 2014 Volt? Checked a local dealer in Riverside, CA. The dealer is cutting $4000 from the MSRP and there is another $5000 discount from GM. It is however it is not qualified for any further finance incentive. The dealer said, it is either that $3000 plus 4 years no interest car loan, or that $5000 discount. I found from a different dealer that it will give $2000 discount on 2014 model which can have free interest for 4 years. For a loan at $30K+, the interest will be more than $2000. So at the end, it is the same price for 2013 and 2014 model. Did I miscalculate it? I am wondering it this is case why bother to go with 2013 model. It is not cheaper than 2014. The 2014 model is already $5000 less than the 2013 model. It is appreciated if any one can help with the details.
  • Costco offers special deals on GM products, including Volt. Is anyone familiar with it? After reading several posts, it appears that some dealers give discounts anyway. So, maybe this Costco deal is not as good as it sounds. Thank you.
  • tonbobtonbob Posts: 5

2013 are at blow out prices now. Indiana chevy dealer with just 4 13's left selling at $11,000 off msrp. When combined with $7,500 tax credit, that puts the car at cost including sales tax and OTD at just $24,500. Seems that puts the gas savings of $700-1,200/year firmly into play and better cost than any other reasonably equipped mid to compact size car available. Now... hope there are no issues as reported early with Volt and I'll be happy!

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,860

@tonbob said: 2013 are at blow out prices now. Indiana chevy dealer with just 4 13's left selling at $11,000 off msrp. When combined with $7,500 tax credit, that puts the car at cost including sales tax and OTD at just $24,500. Seems that puts the gas savings of $700-1,200/year firmly into play and better cost than any other reasonably equipped mid to compact size car available. Now... hope there are no issues as reported early with Volt and I'll be happy!

Are you purchasing? I don't know anyone who owns a Volt yet, so it would be interesting to hear your firsthand, real-world experiences!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

2»