Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Escape

Comments

• johnnyumajohnnyuma Member Posts: 54
    Ordered a 2013 Escape Titanium (with a moon roof and park assist on 9/26), dealer received the vehicle on 10/27 and we picked up the vehicle on 10/30. First couple of days we had some heavy rain and no sign of water inleakage. My Ford Touch System is working fine. So far so good... :)
  • hmoranhmoran Member Posts: 1
    I have had terrible problems with the clock, gas mileage (it's nothing like they claimed it would be) and the sync system. It's been serviced four times and they claim that an engineer was sent out to look at it, shortly there after I received a letter from Ford telling me that my car worked fine and that they could not find anything wrong with it. It's obvious Ford won't own up to the problems with the the 2013 Escape or fix them. I will never buy another Ford again and I'm not planning on letting this problem go until they give me a properly working car or my money back.
  • southtxsouthtx Member Posts: 14
    Our fuel economy isn't close to advertised, either. For what it's worth, I was told by the regional customer service manager that Ford WILL NOT be buying back any vehicles due to radio/clock/MyFordTouch problems (since it's not a safety thing!). When I suggested we escalate my case, she said there was nowhere else to go... she was the end of the line. So it'll be interesting to track your beef with them.
  • jlrahnjlrahn Member Posts: 7
    I don't understand. My car was getting 44.5 miles to the gallon the other day going to work for over 10 miles. I'm rarely below 30 miles to the gallon and I have the AWD. Maybe when you get some miles on it to break in it will improve. My clock was off for about a month but that has resolved itself also. I love my escape and feel it is the best car I have owned. I have owned Honda Nissan Toyota dodge Hyundai and chevy
  • fortherockfortherock Member Posts: 6
    Regarding your fuel economy, there is a place to go - the EPA. If enough people complain about poor fuel economy, Ford may be forced to respond.
    I have a Titanium 2.0 Ecoboost AWD. I am getting 17/20/23 after 3000 miles, rather than 21/24/28 as stated on the window - 20% less. My other concern is the huge drop in range because it's only a 15 gallon tank.

Take a look at a recent article this week regarding Hyundai/Kia...

Hyundai, Kia Overstate MPG, Will Compensate Owners...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hyundai-kia-overstate-mpg-compensate-220411168.htm- l
  • fortherockfortherock Member Posts: 6
    There is no "Eco" in my Ecoboost Engine!!!
    I purchased a 2013 Ford Escape Titanium AWD 2.0 Liter Ecoboost in August 2012.
    Estimated MPG 21 City / 24 Combined / 28 Hwy
    After 3,000 Miles: MPG 17 City / 20 Combined / 23 Hwy

This is 20% lower than the EPA on the Sticker with only a 15 gallon tank, the range is horrible!!!
    Note: in the manual it states "Did you know you can get 15% better fuel economy if you drive 55 instead of 65 on the highway?" It would be quite upsetting if the car was tuned to drive far below the speed limit, putting drivers at risk in higher speed traffic as they try to achieve better fuel economy!!!

The first week I drove the car on a flat highway at 75 mph nonstop for a full tank of gas, and only calculated 23 mpg. Its never improved. I drive conservatively and never get close to 28 mpg on the highway. Watching the average mpg on the dash drop has caused me to tame my driving habits, but still no improvement. I believe I was getting 25mpg on the highway with Premium fuel. Many have said it's because ethanol in the gas drops mpg, but premium usually doesn't have ethanol. Will test again.

I purchased the Escape for an SUV with power, but also good fuel economy. I love everything else about the car - the looks, the technology, the seat comfort. However, if I knew this was the mileage I would be getting, I would have never purchased the Escape. There are plenty of SUV's available with more comfort, power, bigger gas tank, and for less money at 17/20/23.

Hyundai, Kia to pay 900,000 owners for overstating mileage on window stickers
    http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/hyundai-kia-pay-900-000-owners-overstatin- - - g-mileage-125024437.html
  • pam70pam70 Member Posts: 3
    I know what you mean. They wouldn't even look at mine in service because Ford didn't want to pay for warranty work when they knew there was a problem and had no fix. I do have to wonder if air bag malfunction would be considered a safety issue! My adult son was in the passenger seat and the PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF light came on and stayed on.
  • dw1973dw1973 Member Posts: 1
    In response to your exhaust smell, my escape has 17000km after 3 months of driving and started noticing a bad engine / exhaust smell upon startup and would get really bad at idle especially on hot days... brought it to dealer and not much help...its colder now up here in the north so not as bad but I really think this is an issue and will inform my dealer about your situation as I am sure there are others out there.....if anyone else has this put it out there
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is looking for a recent car buyer whose car's sunroof/moonroof feature was a big factor in their purchase decision. Please send your daytime contact info to smar@edmunds.com no later than Monday, November 5, 2012 at 5 p.m. Pacific.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Driving into work this morning my radio shut off and then my climate system shut off for no reason!!??!!?? It came back on by itself moments later, so I guess this is the beginning of the endless search for an answer?
  • jim_in_germanyjim_in_germany Member Posts: 1
    I too have had the clock problem. I've tried several different settings, but it still seems to change itself every few days. Unfortunately, I am stationed here in Germany and there is absolutely "0" support from Ford USA / Ford Germany for this fix. Additionally, now that someone in here mentions it...I too noticed that my passenger airbag light was OFF although I had an adult passenger. It's done this at least once. Gas mileage: TERRIBLE! I never expected it to actually be this bad. Hopefully Ford will wake up and realize that "we the people" are already getting tired of the quirks we've already encountered with this new model.

2013 Ford Escape Titanium w/ MyFord Touch Sync
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I you follow the various F150 EcoBoost forums as I have been, you will note that not an insignificant number of complaints are being lodged about poor FE, some horribly so. At the same time it is clear that a goodly number of owners are satisfied with the FE, some even claiming FE equal to the EPA estimates.

Strange..

Then there is the issue of Ford, seemingly, not having a clue as to how to go about fixing the CAC condensation poblem.
  • pzampzam Member Posts: 19
    FWIW, the differing fuel economy figures make sense to me. I have a Titanium AWD 2.0. I can actually exceed 30 MPG if I drive carefully on the highway and stay at 60-65 MPH. This is truly best case -- windows up, AC off, cruise on, etc. But if I drive around town and accelerate a lot (using the turbo) then I'm down around 16-17 MPG. While I'd like better overall mileage, I'm happy to at least have the choice. I can either go easy and get high mileage, or have fun and pay the price for lower mileage. YMMV.
  • reh999reh999 Member Posts: 3
    Dealer could not find the problem for the smell, but is replacing it with a new Escape by next week! It was making me feel sick!
  • bigmclargehugebigmclargehuge Member Posts: 377
    The fuel mileage of the 3.7 and 5.0 F-150s is reported to vary by equivalent or even greater amounts.

F-150s are extraordinarily heavy vehicles, nearly 3 tons of curb weigh for a fully optioned 4WD version.

You really can't drive a 3 ton vehicle even remotely assertively and expect to get anything but terrible mileage.

On the other hand, I've driven 2 different EB F-150s and far EXCEEDED the EPA figures. This verifies what pzam is saying. Mileage varies greatly by driver inputs. :shades:
  • mdal82mdal82 Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my 2013 Escape SEL just over a week ago, and the reported Fuel consumption is no where near what is advertised. The car reports fuel usage at an average of 12L/100KM or 19 miles/gallon, and I have been doing 90% highway driving. When I spoke to the dealer, they advised that this is normal for new vehicles, and that I should see better results, and in some cases better than advertised, once I drive about 6,000-10,000 KMs. I find this to be very odd.
    There is also a strong smell of gas when the car idles.
    Just want to know if others have experieced the same, and if the fuel ratings do in fact improve over time.

Thanks
  • ghostpepperguyghostpepperguy Member Posts: 6
    Just wondering if anyone has any information on the recommended mileage for doing the first oil change. The manual seems to be silent on this. With the kind of driving I do I'll probably go about 5,000 miles or so between changes. But was thinking that it might be prudent to do the first one sooner. Any thoughts on this. Thanks.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited November 2012
    The need for early first oil changes and the such no longer apply. Today's engines no longer need to have this done.

I presume it has an oil life monitor? Follow that and you should be fine.
  • clk5clk5 Member Posts: 3
    Great news! After that many kms, that's service! It must have been as bad if not worse than our first one. No problems yet with ours. Fingers crossed.
  • escapeti2013escapeti2013 Member Posts: 9
    I've got a 2013 Escape Titanium with about 1000 miles on it, and have been very pleased with it so far -- none of the problems that others have reported (fingers crossed!).

The dealer transferred my license plates from my old truck over to the Escape when I bought it and I didn't see them do it. I just removed the front license plate (as it's not required in my state) and was somewhat surprised to find that there's no real license plate "mount" for the front license plate. It looks like there's just a couple of holes in the plastic on the front bumper, almost like they were just drilled there and the screws for the front license plate were just screwed into those holes. Needless to say, it looks pretty unprofessional with the front license plate off. Can anyone else confirm whether this is the way that it's supposed to be, or (as I'm wondering) did my vehicle not come with a front license plate mount and my dealer did some kind of makeshift job of installing the front license plate?
  • escapeismescapeism Member Posts: 39
    Yes that is standard. No front license plate mount so they just drill two holes and screw it on. I know it looks like crap. If you don't require a front plate and already have the holes, then I would get two decorative pan head or truss head bolts and fill in the holes. Could even be nylon bolts or screws if you could find them in black.
  • clwalker3clwalker3 Member Posts: 7
    At the moment, I would have to agree with the MyFord Touch being buggy. I recently purchased a 2013 Titanium Ford Escape, which I love! The MyFord Touch, not so much! I have an iPhone 4S (I am an IT Admin BTW) and I listen to audiobooks almost exclusively. I bought the Escape because of the MyFord Touch and phone pairing, but have found the sync process to be erratic, buggy and unreliable. The Touch system has already been replaced once (I bought the car in October) because the clock quit keeping time. My problems have been - sometimes it works seamlessly with my phone several times in a row (even if i'm out of the car for hours), indexes, my device to show the titles and autoplays my books. Sometimes the screen shows symbols instead of titles. Sometimes I can get out of the car for 10 minutes and it can't reconnect with my phone when I get back in. Frequently, it says "no Bluetooth audio device can be found" though my phone is right there. When it can't find Bluetooth, the car radio comes blasting on and deafens me (this is the most annoying thing for both my husband and myself). Sometimes the voice says it has suceeeded to play my device, but I have to push play on the phone for it to actually work. Sometimes it succeeds, but plays through the phone instead of the car. Sometimes it plays fine. Though paired with my phone, sometimes it says it is connected when it is really not and I have to disconnect and reconnect from the phone to get it sync back up. I have called Syncservices three times, reset the master on the MyFord Touch system twice and soft reset and hard reset my iPhone multiple times with the same results. It is very frustrating! My Jabra and Motorola Bluetooth devices are way more reliable than MyTouch and link with my phone seamlessly every time. Ford is trying to point the finger at my phone Bluetooth, but if that were the case I think I would be having problems with my other Bluetooth devices as well. Because I love my iPhone, my expectations of the system were high. I am very disappointed and frustrated with the MyFord Touch on my 2013 Escape!
    These days as a general rule there are 2 "dimples" in the plastic facing of the front (bumper?). Nutplates are already mounted behind those dimples so all that is left to do is DRILL!
  • mbb21mbb21 Member Posts: 7
    I am afraid that you are not the only one having that problem. I have a 2013 Titanium AWD that I love but hate the Touch/Sync system for its bugginess and inconsistency. I have an iphone 5 which is paired via bluetooth to the system. The phone connection works fine. However, I like to stream Pandora to the system and listen to music. This is a hit and miss proposition. To the point that it got so frustrating that I have given it up for the time. Also, the voice response system and I don't get along. My dealer called me to see how things were going and I told him all is fine with a couple of exceptions, one being that the "lady" and I are no longer in speaking terms.

The car is great to drive and a lot of fun. The touch system is not there yet as well as the gas mileage. Although mine has been improving (up to 19 mpg on the last fill combined mileage). Also, the small fuel tank limits the range quite a bit and is a small pain.

Lets hope that Ford does a software update to the system and things get better. Otherwise it will continue to be an unreliable and inconsistent system.
  • robdog1robdog1 Member Posts: 2
    I am driving in Los Angeles and getting an average of 23.9 miles per gallon. This average includes highway miles to Phoenix and Fresno.
  • robdog1robdog1 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 1.6-liter Ford Escape SEL automatic for about 2 months. So far it has been in the shop for a total of 14 days. Engine light keeps turning on and sometimes the car won't shift up to third gear leaving me stuck at a maximum speed of 30 MPH (dangerous!). I also have the clock reset issue. Ford has decided to replace the high pressure fuel pump and inlet line (maybe a guess). I hope this solves the problem. I really thought the Ford Escape was great until I started having all these issues. I now have talked two people out of purchasing the Escape. It is too bad because I really wanted to believe in this car.
  • pzampzam Member Posts: 19
    Seems to be a general theme...
    We were all sold on this vehicle for a great set of features.
    An on those rare occasions where it works as designed, we love it.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the majority of the time.
    This is my first domestic car purchase in the last 25 years after a bad experience with a Chevy. I won't be in a hurry to try that again!
  • john4023john4023 Member Posts: 1
    So, I was pretty much ready to buy a 2013 Escape SEL with the 2.0 engine, panorama roof, towing package and parking package. With all the current incentives it comes out to $31,220 here in Seattle. My alternative is a 2012 Rav4 Limited for the Costco price of $29,500 (after $750 cash back). I figured it was a no-brainer to get the Escape because its seems like a better value given all the additional technology that comes with it.

Now having gone through this forum, it seems as if this model year of the Escape is loaded with problems. Can anyone please advise me whether or not we think the issues on this forum are typical of new cars, or do you guys think that the 2013 Escape has a higher than average problem rate and I should wait for a later model year to see if quality improves.

Unfortunately, I am dealing with an insurance total loss and need to make up my mind this weekend.

Thanks
  • jlrahnjlrahn Member Posts: 7
    I have the titanium and I love it. It is the best car I have owned and I have had a lot. It drives like a sport car yet I have gotten 44.5 miles to the gallon for over 25 miles at a time. I have had no issues wih my escape. I say get it you will love it
  • escapedrescapedr Member Posts: 7
    I love my escape. It's a fantastic car.
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    edited November 2012
    I have Titanium and no problems. Trip today 90% hiway 27mpg. I would be thinking about what car to buy also after reading this forum. My car was built about 6 months after they first came out so think they are getting better. They are not great on gas in the city, one poster from San Francisco is unhappy as he drives in the city a bunch and some hills. If I had it to do over again I would buy a BMW X1 that just came out. Not that I do not like the car but about the same price and 5 years of free maint.. Plus I came out of a German car and there is just something about them they seem only to have.. So my reason for a do over are not quality related but just the driving experience. I also found the Titanium about same price as SEL if I added 2.0 engine. The first year can have some problems and these forums are most often used by people with problems as few people post to say how much they love their car. I appreciate all the posters as they have helped me so much.
    I think saying that 44 mpg is possible is doing a disservice to anyone interested in purchasing this vehicle. That is not real world mpg. Not even close.
  • ppellppell Member Posts: 1
    You are right! I've had my 2013 Escape since July, and I'm getting around 28 mpg. Nowhere near what is being touted about this vehicle by Ford. I've contacted them and they are telling me to take it to my dealership to have it tested.
    I've also been reading that premium gas is recomenned for this vehicle. I wish I'd know all this before I purchased it. I would have kept on looking.....
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    edited November 2012
    I'm not singling out anyone here, so don't reply like I'm talking about you, I'm making a general statement based on my experience with my FWD, 2.0L Titanium. It's all about driving style. Folks who accelerate aggressively will obviously see lower mpg's. You have to drive these turbos with some finesse and stay out of turbo boost until you need it. At stop lights a very light foot on the accelerator helps, and on the freeway, stay at a constant moderate speed. When you pass on the freeway, you don't need to floor it, this car will take off with a slight push of the accelerator. Use the deceleration fuel cut off when ever possible, coasting to stop lights and on exit ramps will improve your mpg's. I know that in different regions of the Country, people drive differently, but the car behind you can only go as fast as you're going. Here in the Upper Midwest, we tend to drive more slowly and you won't get harassed or threatened if you take off from stops gently or drive the speed limit.
    I drive the same route to work every weekday, 1 mile city to a semi crowded freeway, 7 miles at 50-60 mph, with slow downs for slow and merging traffic and then 1 mile to my office, under those conditions my average is currently 25.5 to 26.3 mpg's and it was a little higher when temps were warmer. I took a road trip this summer from Minnesota to Louisiana, mostly on 2 lane highways, but some interstate and 4-lane bypass. I drove between 55 and 65 on the way down and I got as high as 38 mpg's, but generally got 34-36 mpg's. I'd say 75% of the time I was traveling 60-62 mph. I was told by the service manager at my dealership that the sweet spot for the 2.0L and the 6 speed transmission is 63 mph. On the way home from Baton Rouge to Minneapolis I drove Interstate the entire way and depending on the weather (it rained for the stretch through LA and MS), at the speed limit of 70 or 2 mph above, I got 33 mpg and as much as 36 mpg at slightly slower speeds. Whenever I drive the Interstate I use the cruise control, except in hilly terrain and drive 2 mph above the posted, I anticipate when I'll need to pass slower traffic and pass well in advance of the cars traveling fast in the left lane. I accelerate slowly and evenly and try to never go below what my cruise is set at. When I have to cancel the cruise and resume, I accelerate evenly to speed and then resume the cruise rather than hitting resume and having the engine rev to speed.
    I enjoy a good road trip and have traveled coast to coast and border to border multiple times and over the years I have developed a good driving style. Unless there is something obviously wrong with your car, decent mpg's are attainable with a consistent and conservative driving style.
    I would agree that around 24mpg is real world mileage, at least here in the DC suburbs. Most folks don't fill up next to the interstate, then get on the interstate and drive till its empty, then exit and fill up, then repeat that process. I have yet to go on a long road trip to really test out those highway mpg, but right now I'm at 23 to 24 mpg.
    I would think 23-24 would be pretty good combined mpg's for the DC area. Lots of stop and go, heavy traffic and fast freeway speeds. I have been to the DC area a couple of times and my experience was that they'll run you off the road if you're only driving 60-65 on the highway. You are right on with your fill up analogy. My guess is people most often fill up in the city or burbs driving home or to work and on surface streets. With idling, stop and go, slower speeds and errands, it's most likely you're never going to go above 18 or so until you log some constant speed highway miles.
    You're implying that special effort, attention, is required of the driver in order to attain FE in/near the EPA range.

But that is NOT what the EPA intends nor do they test for.

I will probably never own an EcoBoost for numerous reasons but if I did the first thing I would do is change the "gain" of the gas pedal position as it relates to throttle plate position. I suspect, strongly so, that the throttle plate reaches the WOT position with about 1/2 gas pedal depression. From that point on the turbo speed is regulated and thereby used to provide the engine throttling (un-throttling??) function.

I think I would begin by "wiring" the wastegate fully open and drive that way for a reasonably long period. Long enough to determine just how good the FE might be even with a detuned (10:1 compression ratio vs the DFI standard of 12-14:1) DFI engine and no turbo boost. Also get an idea of the level (enough?) of HP/torque with no boost.
  • usa1fanusa1fan Member Posts: 68
    You're absolutely right that that is not what the EPA intends or test for- it has *nothing* really to do with what FE *any* driver will achieve with *their* driving. It's all about comparison- being able to compare Car A to Car B and Car C when shopping on the lot. NONE of them is really rated for *my* driving, *your* driving, or *anyone else's* driving. Just a simple comparison. It might help some of those that can't understand what it's really about to say that maybe they should have a flat ratings sheet- this car is ranked number 1 for highway, number 6 for city, and number 4 for combined mileage among all it's peers. That way, nobody misunderstands and really thinks that the numbers are what they 'should' be getting. Only that, driving Car A will return better fuel economy than Car B, in most situations.
    edited November 2012
    Amen. Some situations are going to make it hard to get near the EPA numbers, but those numbers aren't really there to tell you what you're going to get, they're to tell us how this or that car ranks compared to the others on a 'standard' test loop (city / highway / combined being merely labels, and not really our city, our highway, or our combined). Nonetheless, many of us will equal or exceed the EPA numbers with little effort. Some don't drive in a way that will- and there are a LOT of those people out there- I see them on the roads with me all the time, whether in Prius or Camaro SS. And some traffic, road conditions, etc. make it hard for even those that *do* drive conservatively (which I doubt most people complaining of FE in their cars really *do*, but that doesn't mean none do).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2012
    "You can stick with the EPA rating if you consider yourself an efficient driver."

Here's Why Real-World MPG Doesn't Match EPA Ratings

"If you are currently an aggressive driver (cruising speeds from 75-85 mph, constantly accelerating and changing lanes and braking sharply) and you decided to calm down (driving with the cruise control set to 65 mph), your fuel economy would improve an average of 35 percent."

Save Gas with Smart Driving and Slick Aerodynamics
    Thanks Steve. Those are great articles, illustrating exactly what we're saying- it's actually very rare nowadays for the cars to be at fault. Most of the time poor fuel economy, especially when people start comparing what they're getting to the window sticker, comes down to one of the items in that first article, and pretty much in the same order they list- conditions, driver style, etc.
    Those are good articles and excellent advice.

People who complain that they are getting bad fuel economy never want to blame themselves, so there must be something wrong with the car.
    I'm on a road trip and only got ~21 on my last tank in my van (all time highest hit 29.9).

But I live in the deer infested two lane boonies and only get to drive 80 once every few months and it's kind of fun to bomb down the Interstate sometimes. :D
    Special effort and attention is required to operate a motor vehicle and to maximize fuel economy. In real world driving situations, it takes some effort to reach or exceed EPA estimates. I always end up behind the car in front of me that races from light to light and all I had to do is, granted it took some thought and effort, accelerate gradually for a half a block, coast for a quarter block and brake for a quarter block and sometimes I don't even have to brake, damn, that was easy.
    edited November 2012
    As I'm sure you know, two lane driving isn't always the best for fuel economy. Also, vans have never been known for good mpg's. Older US highways weren't built under the same regulations as the Interstate system. Twists and turns, grades, slowing for traffic and slowing or stopping for towns affects mpg's. On my last 2-lane road trip I got my best mpg's traveling through Southern Minnesota and across Iowa where it's flat, straight and desolate.
    The biggest factor is likely still how you drive - the old egg under the gas pedal idea. Sometimes you just have to deal with crowded commutes though and traffic can really hammer you.
  • clwalker3clwalker3 Member Posts: 7
    Well maybe they have! I called Syncservices for the third time and gave them my whole list of problems and asked that they escalate it. I got a call from someone on the design team. According to her, there has been a problem with the iPhone 4S (maybe the 5 too) corrupting the MyTouch software - hence the bugs. Apparently they have released a new version of the software last Monday that is supposed to fix the problem. I am supposed to take the car back to the dealer tomorrow and have the sysytem flashed with the new software. I am keeping my fingers crossed, as this is the only real complaint I have about the car - I love it otherwise. The milage on mine fluctuates considerably. I am waiting for a long highway trip to really test that out.
  • bigmclargehugebigmclargehuge Member Posts: 377
    The biggest factor is likely still how you drive - the old egg under the gas pedal idea. Sometimes you just have to deal with crowded commutes though and traffic can really hammer you.

Agreed. Just because modern vehicles have the ability to go faster when you mash the accel pedal, doesn't mean everyone has to actually drive faster.

If we looked at an old Ford similar in size, like a Bronco ii, it got horrible mileage by comparison, and did not have the capability of being as fast.

If a person used the same amount of speed in the Escape that was available in the Bronco ii, then the Escape will obviously get better mileage.

If the Escape user gives the car the same accelerator application, it will a) go faster than its predecessors and b) get unsatisfactory mileage.

The downside to more powerful engines is that YES, one does have to baby the accelerator to get better mileage.

On older automatic trans vehicles, you had to basically mash the accelerator to even start moving. Not so anymore, so it takes a gentler touch than many may be used to.

The way I drove my 1978 F-150 is vastly different from how I drive my 2011 F-150. It is literally difficult to accelerate as slowly as my 78 Ford could at full throttle in a modern truck.
  • mbb21mbb21 Member Posts: 7
    Agree with the observation that the driver determines the vehicles' mgp by the way he/she drives. However, each vehicle has its own personality in a way. For instance, I also own an Infinity M35 which is quite fast and accelerates incredibly well once you smash down on the accelerator. I also own an Escape Titanium 2.0 AWD and compared to the M35, it is much easier to accelerate quickly on the Escape than on the M35.

How so? Well, the pedal pressure that I have to apply to the M35 to get to a certain speed feels much harder than on the Escape. In other words and this might be totally subjective, I feel I have to press the accelerator pedal much harder in the M35 than on the Escape in order to reach the same level of acceleration.

Based on my experience then I would have to say that Ford has made it much easier to accelerate on the Escape by setting a lower pedal pressure calibration on this car versus my M35. Consequently, given the spirited performance of this car, it is much easier to waste gas by accelerating faster than normal compared my other car.

As said before, this is my observation based on the performance of the two cars I own. So for what its worth, it is easier to waste gas and mpg's on the Escape than on my M35.
  • izedamanizedaman Member Posts: 16
    I have a [non-permissible content removed] 2.0t 2x4 a lil over 1000 miles. average city mpg 19 using cheap Walmart 87 octane gas. I am also at sea level in Houston, and pretty much flat around here
    freeway 24mpg, I would say i am a hair aggressive, puts me where I thought I would be, im glad i didnt need the premium unleaded to get it. And yes I hit the turbo quite often... No reason to drive like a turtle to get those specs. If you do and are getting bad mpg, the easiest thing to check esp in the cooler weather is the PSI in your tires, make sure they match the door, you wont hurt anything buy adding 2 psi, your mpg will improve, i have never balded the center of my tires by doing this.
    The my touch works well for me, a hair sluggish, but it is a PC, and thats expected.
    Someone asked about the oil life, I didnt see an answer.. we have an oil life monitor, but I dont see where to check the life percentage.. im sure a light comes on when its close, but I would still like to monitor.
    Overall love the car MPG are close to what I expected, radio/mytouch was too
    i do not like the 19" tires, the ride is fine, but look up prices on new shoes, I am not looking forward to that :(