Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Ford Escape

Comments

• tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Whatever that means, your statement does not make any sense to me. All I can go by for now is what the Avg MPG reading states. Sometime next week I'll do my second fill up and I'll know then if the calculated and actual mpg numbers are similar.
  • rollsplatrollsplat Member Posts: 12
    Problem 2 resolve (Blackberry Bold phone contact photos)

Resolution:
    1. delete Blackberry from sync.
    2. delete sync from blackberry
    3. Re-pair (enter code from car on blackberry)

Cheers, Rollsplat
  • jberezojberezo Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for all the useful discussion. Just ordered a White, Tricoat Platinum, SEL and hope to get delivery in about 6-8 weeks (depending on the recall delay). Kind of happy they stopped production until they get this fixed. A bit concerned about the tech issues as my wife loves navigation but is not technically savvy. Was a challenge to find a vehicle to test drive. Have been a Ford customer in the past (1997 Taurus) and wanted to buy American and love Ford's new designs. Check out the new Fusion.

Will be checking this Forum on a regular basis.
    I think overall you'll be pretty happy with the Escape SEL. For me it's "feels" like a leap-forward in style, functionality & technology - a direction all cars are moving toward. Enjoy!
    Cheers, Rollsplat
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    And a leap-backward for hybrids.....
    Unless you looking at the C-Max, Fusion or Focus electric and that's just Ford's lineup.
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    The SEL 1.6 looks desirable to me. On Ford's site "Build Your Own" I come up with a tad over $30k for one for me. The reviewers like the 1.6 and it uses 87 octane.

We have three Fords presently. '06 Mariner Hybrid 4x4, '10 Fusion Hybrid, and '10 Muskrat GT Premium. I like them all.

The '06 Mariner is my favorite driver because it delivers 30mpg Average, high ground clearance, great visibility, good utility, ez CVT to drive, and low technology inside. Hope to keep it a while longer until this new Escape has it's bugs worked out. Then shall give it a try.

The Fusion Hybrid is our loaded luxury car w/CVT has long term AVERAGE MPG's = 41.2.

The 'Stag GT Convertible is automatic. I do not check mileage because I know it is no where near the others....but it sounds good and handles very well. Great top down rides.
    Both the 1.6L and 2.0L EcoBoost engines use 87 octane fuel. For increased HP, trailer towing and extreme conditions premium fuel can be used.
    I'm running BP 87 octane in my 2.0L and it runs just fine.
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    Be interested to see recent mpg if you have driven enough to report. Also if you drive highway, hilly, flat, stop and go all the stuff that affects mpg.
    I have a 2.0 Titanium on order and sometimes waver if I should have stayed with the 1.6. I suspect it might a small improvement with the 1.6 and at the end of a year of driving a small saving. MPG O Matic web site has a neat little spread sheet to plug in numbers and calculate costs of driving vehicles with varying mpg.

Thanks
    My Fuelly stats are 25.6. My hand calculation is 438 miles and 16.93 gal = 25.8 mpg.
    Thanks for the mpg update. I can live with 25 mpg on a 2.0. My current car a 2012 VW Passat shows 27.7 as a cumulative figure for 15,000 miles. I love the VW but never should have left the small SUV world as I need the convenience of hauling a bicycle and other things in a secure locked up area. I highly recommend the Passat though it is a great, great vehicle and flawless over the 15,000 miles. Thought a bike rack would work on the VW but having that hanging off the trunk and not locked up on a long trip just does not work for me. Ordered Titanium Escape at dealer invoice and a number of dealers offered me great trade in on the VW so trading so soon was possible. Some dealers were over 2000 higher than others but had 3 dealers that lived in the real world and they were all very close. Never even haggled with the over priced ones except one dealer and he came down 1900.00. Some just try to get all they can but when they do that I usually do not even bother to pursue it with them. I live in a big enough suburban area and we must have 12 Ford dealers in driving distance for me.
  • southtxsouthtx Member Posts: 14
    My cruise control is out again, for the second time. When it was in the first time (a week ago), the dealer also had to 'retrain' the up/down windows which had also lost the 'one-touch' feature. They suggested this may have been the result of the battery being unhooked during the fuel line replacement, but the problems didn't manifest immediately, and they were intermittent. Also, the MyTouch and SYNC retained all their settings with the battery removed.

The memory seats don't always remember where they're supposed to be. My wife's key is setting#1, and if I'm driving the vehicle 50 miles away from her and her fob, the seats will frequently move to her position and not stay at mine (#2). The Entertainment system is now turning itself on and off, and hung up yesterday (in USB mode). It's also changed between modes all by itself, and frequently won't power off until the vehicle shuts down.

SYNC will NOT pair up my Samsung phone (one that I can pair in my sleep on 2 vehicles with SYNC but no MyTouch). My wife's Iphone paired up immediately and worked as advertised for about two weeks. Now an incoming call will ring in the car, but she can't answer it with SYNC... but she can still call out with SYNC.

I kind of thought the automatic lift gate was 'gimmicky'... but it's really neat when it works. Which in our case, is about half the time. I don't even try anymore.

Apparently all these things tie in to an body/chassis Electronic Control Module... but they can go bad one at a time while other things still work. I'm going in for the second time to get the cruise control 'fixed'... but am fairly confident that it won't REALLY be fixed until that ECM is replaced. And they're not going to want to replace it for intermittent problems that they're not able to duplicate with some regularity. Dealer has already told me to expect to 'leave it for a few days' And that worries me because I've been caught in Ford service/Customer Care hell before...
    Sorry to hear about all the difficulties - let us know how things turn out. Rebooting the MFT fixed my problems. Also, un-pairing and deleting my Blackberry fixed phone issues. You may want to try that.
    Thanks for confirming the memory seats are supposed to move depending upon the key used - you're the first to confirm this. I'll get that fixed when I bring the car in for the brake/gas pedal recall.

Also, I've been posting MFT bug here: http://outofmytouch.com/

Cheers, Rollsplat
  • slacker02slacker02 Member Posts: 5
    SouthTX, sorry to hear about your car. Best advice I can offer is to document everything with the dealership, and verify they documented it correctly (I had to make the repair center rewrite their summary bc they left some issues out).

Also look up the lemon laws for your state, and follow them to the letter (if you want to go that route). Most will allow the dealer 3 or 4 chances OR a total of 30 days in the shop before it is considered a lemon.

Finally, most of these issues were known by Ford when they sold it to you. And I bet they failed to mention it before you bought their product. If you get a lawyer and start a class action lawsuit, let me know, bc I'm in. Stick to your guns, and don't acquiesce because the product you paid for was a car; you are still a consumer who was sold a faulty product, known to be faulty by the seller!
    I would have never bought MyFordTouch if you could get the SEL without it. The SYNC in my '10 Taurus was buggy from day one, and we never knew whether it would work at all from day to day, let alone whether it work right... so I was wary of even more 'technology'... but my wife had to have it. ;)
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    It is not ready for prime or any other time.
    Ford is more interested in useless distracting gimmicks that
    only work intermittently instead of more useful SUV features.

This is the first year that they came up with 4 wheel disc brakes
    this is totally unacceptable.
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    I think you're off by about 7 years on the rear disc brake statement.
  • fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    I said four (4) wheels not rear wheels.
    This is the first year for the Escape all four wheel disc brakes.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2012
    I still prefer rear drums. Work as good and the shoes seem to last a lot longer than rear disc pads.

Brakes: Drum vs. Disc
    I seem to remember that when Ford finally added stability control they had to go to disc brakes on the rear as well as the front.
    Rear drum brakes can't be used to simulate an LSD nor would they work well with the type of brake modulation required today.
    Makes sense and I wish my older cars had stability control and traction control.

So how come the Silverado has 4 wheel ABS, stability control and traction control, and rear drum brakes?
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    No it isn't. I had a 2007 Limited Escape AWD with four wheel disc brakes. Certain models had front and rear disc brakes over the years. Our 2009 Limited Escape had reverted to rear drum brakes. A cost cutting measure I assume.
    RWD can use half-xxfast stability and TC control system.

Unlike FWD when those rear wheel slip/spin you still have directional control. Also much more prone to overstearing and stability control for that is done primarily with front brake modulation.

Whereas with FWD or F/awd TC must act INSTANTLY, FULL dethrottling and braking of the driven wheels, since loss of directional represents a pretty dire threat.. TC on a RWD often delays the dethrottling of the engine fro a few hundred milliseconds to give an experienced driver an opportunity to react and feather the throttle.

Final answer.....wait for it....

CHEAP AXX GM!
    And now for the follow-up. :)

What about the 2012 Jetta sedan? FWD, ABS, Stability control, Traction control and...drumroll...rear drum brakes. (link)

I don't think I've touched the rear brakes on my van, going on 13 years and 178,000 miles.
    That's maybe because they're "used" so little that they may be worn out and you haven't noticed.
    edited August 2012
    It's an older rig, but it's got brake equalization technology just like most of the newer cars, including those I linked to. So some of the braking beyond the typical ~30% should be shifted to the rear.

Lots of new Escape reviews out there now, like this one from Fox:

Crossover Comparo: Ford Escape Vs. Honda CR-V
  • escapeismescapeism Member Posts: 39
    Hello All, Just ordered my Titanium yesterday! I'm stoked!! BTW I still have my 2001 toyota Rav4 5speed manual(203,000 miles) with the original drum brakes. They have about 4 millimeters left. Not too shabby! I'm keeping it cause my son is getting his learners soon and guess which car he gets ;-)
    Good choice. It sounds like you had good luck with the Rav. Let us know what you think about the difference in the two. I looked at a Rav a few years ago and was not impressed, at least back then. What options did you order with your Titanium?
    Oh I will be comparing the two, you bet! My Rav has been great. Its a manual, and I have always driven manuals. This will be the first time ever I drive an automatic. The choices out there for us manual drivers suck!! I would of bought the CX-5 manual but they give you NO options on it. even considered buying the Mazda CX-5 in Canada because up there at least you can get blue tooth and fog lights. Too much paperwork though to do that. :cry:

I ordered the straight up Titaniun 4WD, Ginger Ale, Panoramic Roof and Tow Package. That's it!
    I don't know about you, but apparently I'm always resting my foot while driving. My last suv with 100K miles, that had a rubber over carpet foot rest, I completely wore out. So I've found a perfectly fitting footrest on ebay. I've posted a photo in my album. It was very inexpensive, as long as you don't mine waiting 3-4 weeks for delivery. http://bit.ly/2013fordescapephotos

Next? I've order the matching accelerator/brake pedals.
    Cheers, Rollsplat
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Just picked up my new Escape today, came out of the old one, night and day difference, this new one just drives SO much better. Only thing I don't like in the new Escape is there isn't the same amount of nooks & crannies to put stuff on/in the middle console. Clearly wasn't a deal breaker. Came with the 201A package + MFT, 27,065msrp, 25,225invoice, bought it at invoice minus 1,000rebate + 750private cash offer. Also got around 2,000 more for my trade than anticipated, it was a deal to good to pass up (knock on wood). Will post mpg's when I get some miles on it. In the owner's manual they say not to track mpg during the 1st 1,000miles so everyone who isn't getting the mpg's they thought should wait until it breaks in a bit before thinking you got a lemon. I consistantly got 27-28mpg hwy in my old Escape doing 70-75mph which was right there with the 28mpg rating.
  • brianjames4brianjames4 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    Finally got the two recalls taken care of. Took way too long to get the parts in. Now, the climate control fan does not work. The A/C does work but the cold air is not being pushed out by the fan. The MAX A/C doesn't do anything. I have to drop it off on Friday for Service to take apart the dash to get to the mechanisms. The only other problem, which happened once, was that there was no sound coming from the radio/Sirius/or iPod, nor could I hear the voice commands. A day later, everything was fine. Regardless, the Escape drives like a dream. I get 29-30 mpg on my 18 mile commute to work which is both city streets and highway. Hopefully there won't be any more issues.
    Well we are now waiting for 'parts' to fix the cruise control that's still not working. And the MFT is doing whatever the hell it wants, whenever it wants to do it. The display changes, it powers the entertainment on and off by istelf, and oftentimes won't power off at all until you shut down and exit the vehicle. In Sirius mode, we now have the information 'block' in the middle of the screen on all the time with the message 'No Signal'. Even though Sirius is playing just fine. The message goes away when another status message pops up... but then comes back. Pull into the garage and actually lose the signal, and it goes to 'Acquring Signal', then disappears, then to 'No Signal'. And cycles like that until we either shut down or back out where we DO have a signal, then it's constant 'No Signal'. When we picked the vehicle up (delivery), in 'home display' mode, the Navigation would display the street and other info in the big box on the right. One day that disappeared and I couldn't make it come back. Then one day it was back... and now it's gone again. We still get the street info in the 'Navigation' box at the top right corner while in other modes... but only the compass shows in the big box in 'home' mode. When my wife took in it Monday and started describing the problems, the service advisior just started rubbing his forehead. I suspect that's not a good sign.
  • dlw2001dlw2001 Member Posts: 1
    Interesting to read these comments. Sucks the joy way out of new car purchase when you immediately have annoying issues. First I had to wait far too long on a part for recall. Then later had air bag malfunction light staying on... still in shop today for this, day 3. Gave me a loaner car, then wanted that particular one back, and made me swap for another loaner, pain! I was told that the airbag area had been worked on before by a different dealership (they had brought this car in for me btw), No one had disclosed this information prior to my purchase! I am irate about that! My dealer says they just didn't know until they got inside and found faulty workmanship and a part "taped" together!! What is my recourse? It remains to be seen now if my dealer can fix the problem, "should" know today.
    I am only seeing about up to 22mpg. mixed with a total of 750 miles on it, most not by me. Now I'm wondering if I have another problem, and should be seeing much better mileage based on reports of others? I'm trying to stay all zen about this, but I am way disappointed in this vehicle. I agree with others on the little things as well, such as lack of storage.. really ford not one cubby for small items in the dash area? A really big sticker is the fact that those clunky buttons on the steering wheel completely block the sightline to the ignition, I have to lean way over to see where to stick the key. If i could "do-over" i would get a different vehicle, and check this one out in another couple of years for improvements!
    dlw2001 - Sounds like you've had some real problem with the airbag issue, sorry to hear that. But don't be discouraged - I have 1500 miles now and I know I complained about a lot of little things, but in general, I am happy with my decision and ride and don't have any "deal-killers". Once you get your car back and had some time to spend with it, I think you'll be happy about your decision. Hang in there! Cheers, Rollsplat
  • davesnedegardavesnedegar Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012
    My wife needs a new car and she wants an all wheel drive. I told her only if it gets good gas mileage. At the moment, we're considering the 2012 Honda CRV and the 2013 Escape. This car is for her and she is technology challenged. From my perspective, I'm interested in what people are getting for MPG with the 1.6L all wheel drive escape. Also, it seems like the "My ford" without the "Touch" may be a lot more reliable than the Touch version. The last thing I want to hear is about issues with technology (I wish Ford had used someone other than Microsoft). My view is the Honda CRV is the safe and boring choice, and the Escape is really what I want... but I'm not going to be driving it that much.

Input is appreciated!
    Toyota Venza, I4, F/awd, same rear drive system as the Escape but well beyond "birthing pains".
  • wnukwnuk Member Posts: 40
    edited August 2012
    I just this week leased a 2013 Escape. I compared it to the CRV just like you have. Though the CRV is a very solid choice, it felt too "car like" for me. Seating had you very low to the ground when getting in where as the Escape was more SUV like in that you felt higher up while driving. The second area I noticed was the CRV engine/tranny combo seemed to be geard more to staying in 6th gear to help on fuel. This left the engine feeling very "flat" in response, especially whne climbing a gentle grade. The Eco Boost in the Escape felt much more responsive to me. There were some nice features of the CRV , don't get me wrong. For me, the feel of the Escape was more of what I was looking for.

I compared the CRV EX AWD to the SEL AWD.

Enjoy your shopping experience. I would suggest test driving the two back to back (I did) and that may help you figure out which is right for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Google for:

ecoboost condensation

Apparently only happening to EcoBoost F150's at the moment and clearly can put one in a dangerous situation.
    Compared 6-8 SUV's and decided on Escape. I liked the looks, 2.0 engine, Technology it offers, and reasonable gas mileage. Looked at Mazda C-5 under powered reviews say, Venza too Camry like, CRV, CrossTour double boring, Tiguan-over priced, RAV4 dated styling--- 2013 coming soon restyled, Highlander too pricey with options I wanted . Drove Honda's for years--- bought passenger car but found need SUV type so traded 2012 VW Passat gas engine. Delivery late next week. VW is and was flawless and better driving experience than all the Honda's I drove for years. Think I know what German driving experience is now having owned 2 VW recently. Honda was all trouble free but boring. Soooo if I was influencing the buying decision for my wife I would put her in the Honda just to avoid the uncertainty. If she likes the Escape then good call maybe to avoid the My Ford Touch (MFT). Seems to be the most issues that you hear about. I suspect they have sold 20,000 Escapes by now and suspect they are not all having problems but you don't need that possible phone call about My Ford Touch. McMahon Ford is offering 2000.00 off over their Internet web site on 2013 Escapes. No other area dealer was pricing them like they are. I have seen bigger discounts than that a few hours away from St. Louis area.
  • novascotiaguynovascotiaguy Member Posts: 7
    Just had our new 2013 Escape for 11 days. Was loving it, but just noticed that water has been coming in through somewhere and soaking the headliner. Reason I know is because of a water stain on the headliner around the top of the frame on the driver's side. I notice from previous comments on this forum about the same issue. Seems like the new escape is prone to this problem.
    Be interesting to see how many people have had this issue.
    We don't have a sun roof on ours so that can't be blamed.
    A previous poster is correct when they say that it sucks the joy out of new car ownership.
    I have been in contact with Ford and awaiting a response from them and will talk to my dealer tomorrow.
    I will post when I find out more. I certainly don't want a brand new car in for repairs for days and a new headliner to hide other damage caused by the water getting in.
    Do you have roof rails? I can't imagine it could be anything but either the roof rails or front windshield, both of which seem highly unlikely. I wait for your findings.
  • shark_divershark_diver Member Posts: 11
    -novascotiaguy
    We had ours for 2 days before we realized that we had growing water stains in the headliner (see my other posts). We immediately demanded a new vehicle or a refund. We didn't get any argument from Ford or the dealership, only their sincere apologies. According to the dealership, this was the first instance of this problem that Ford has seen. I really have no idea if that's true, and I have not heard if they have determined the root cause. In your case I would certainly demand a replacement vehicle. A leaking roof can cause all kinds of problems that creep up over time. Maybe you won't have any problems, or maybe you will have numerous issues that require multiple trips to the dealership for repair. You have no idea how long its been leaking, how far the water has spread and what has been affected. Its like buying a flood car. Its too big of an issue to have worry about on a brand new car. In our case they are building us a new car and gave us a rental (Ford Explorer XLT) until the new one arrives in early September. They are also doing a "show car build" on the new one, which means that it goes through more inspections during the build process.
    I started a thread for this specific issue on Blue Oval Forums. I would appreciate it if you would add your story to that thread so that it is clear that this is not just a one case freak occurrence. I have the panoramic roof, but as you said, you do not. This is obviously not just a case of some [non-permissible content removed] leaving the sunroof open. There is some other kind of problem going on with this car, and it should be documented. Just Google "2013 Ford Escape Leaking Roof" to find the thread. Thanks. I hope it all works out for you.
  • annointed3annointed3 Member Posts: 3
    shark_driver - I have reviewed your post related to your 2013 Escape on this forum and blueovalforums. Thanks for sharing. I live in Hampton, VA and would like to know what dealership you purchased your vehicle. They are providing you with great customer service.
  • shark_divershark_diver Member Posts: 11
    We bought it from Freedom Ford through NFCU's buying service. So far we've been happy with them. They were very responsive, and the problems we had are Fords issues anyway. The dealers are unfortunately caught in the middle. We still love the car and I think that the issues people are having are the exception not the rule.
  • flbentflbent Member Posts: 5
    Picked a new escape SEL loaded. 2.0,, park assist, touch, etc; and I have A real problem.
    When hard accelerating the car looses power, rpm drops to idle speed and the car will only slow down. Makes Passing and merging a dangerous proposition.
    The car is 1 month (3000miles)old and in the shop for the first time. This is my 5th new ford and the first in-warranty shop visit ive ever had to make. Makes me a little unsure when my service mgr
    Says. "hmmm. New trans, new engine, new computer, can you leave it with us for a few days?"
  • annointed3annointed3 Member Posts: 3
    shark_diver. tks again for info.
    It's now 8 days since we took the Escape to the dealer (last Monday). They kept it overnight, then told us we could come get it Tuesday because they couldn't do anything until they heard from Ford. I understood this to mean they were waiting for guidance on WHAT to do... but also think I heard that they now need approval before doing ANY kind of warranty work on these vehicles. When we checked yesterday evening, they still hadn't heard back from Ford. This didn't seem resonable to me. It's been 8 days. So I subjected myself to the frustration of Ford Customer Care this morning and opened a case for 'elevation'. What I learned was that they see nothing associated with our VIN other than the recall work. So nothing from when dealer #1 worked on the cruise control, windows, memory seats and MFT bugs... and nothing from dealer #2, who is waiting over a week now on a call back from Ford. Which probably isn't a surprise because Ford doesn't know there's a problem!
    So now I wait for 'up to' 48 hours for someone from Customer Care to contact the people that were supposed to be talking to each other all along and find out what's going on. Sigh.
    What was the humidity..?

Sounds like the intercooler condensation problem Ford is having with the F150.