Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• keatskeats Member Posts: 412
    99Tj,

Finally a response to the spy photos. I think the new Wrangler is going to be a completely different animal. You know, it's really easy to trace the lineage from CJ to YJ to TJ. The high step in height, the doors, the look of the windshield. I'm glad I have a TJ, but I could see a 4 door Whatever J sitting behind it in a few years...
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Jim:

As always, I enjoyed reading your post.

I love to hear how that Jeep has brought joy to your whole family. Jeeps do that, donn't they? They are truly something that every family member can be proud of and enjoy.

Tomster

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    It was definitely a Jeep weekend for me, but not one where I got to see dirt.

Saturday morning - go visit a friend of my wife and mine. She has for me: a sailcloth top for a 98, complete with mounting hardware, side and rear windows, window roll, rear window bar, and door surrounds. Selling price 250.00. SOLD.

Drive home with all this hanging out the Jeep. :) Too funny. Unload it all and get ready to do the install: 2.5" OME suspension lift, transfer case drop (had to due to vibes), and a Kilby gas tank installation. All of this was done by myself. My helper (son) had classes this weekend. He was bummed about not being able to help, but he was taking scuba lessons! I can post some lessons learned if anybody is interested.

Here is a pic from the job after it was done. Keep in mind, the pics don't really show just how big the lift actually is. Measurements show I gained about 3.5". I'm sure it will go down a bit as the suspension settles in and more when I add my winch.

-Paul
    Randy:

Got mine from Quadratec for about $20 for the pair. The doors did NOT have to be shimmed, and the guards work just fine. The type I got are not even visible from the outside when the doors are closed. I like it that they cannot be seen when the doors are closed.

Tomster

Nice, Paul!

Guess those 30's are gonna have to go in favor of some 33's????

Tomster

Yep, I have the Best Top guards from Quadratec and they required no shims, either. You should go ahead and order some Husky liners at the same time. You'll love them.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I've no experience with the RTS, but it looks to be heavy duty road/rain tire. If you're unlikely to go seriously off road it's probably a good deal which will give you the size of 31's at minimal cost.
    No 33's for me. Not with a D35. I'll probably go up to a 32x11.5 max as I don't want to push it with 33's and have to consider regearing and such. For what I'm wanting to do, 31's would probably work just as well, but the 32's would fill it SO much nicer. :)

I'm considering the BFG MT's or perhaps the Interco TrXuS MT's I've been reading about.

I can't call Kermit my little jeep anymore. :) Almost got a tear in my eye thinking that he'd grown up on me! :) hehehe

Just so y'all can see, take a look at the difference in the springs between stock and the new OME springs. Much tighter wind and longer to boot...

My wife saw this pic and about freaked out (she wasn't there while I did this work. :)

-Paul
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    .and if anyone is wondering...yes...I HAVE seen a shrink about my little quirks!

I understand that the Jeep wave is great therapy and it's painless. It does have some expensive side effects however (31's, lifts, winches...)

Steve, Host
  • randyacerandyace Member Posts: 96
    Great...just what I needed...an accessory site for the Wrangler.....my wife's gonna kill me....

Okay....another accessory question....the first item I noticed was the "Watershield Quick Cover" for those "sudden, unexpected showers" when the top is down.

This seems a good purchase to me, as I raised my top last night in anticipation of rain here today...and there's not a cloud in the sky and clear radar. Would seem to save the hassle (and wear and tear?) of constantly raising/lowering the top.

Any advice from anyone who has one is these would be appreciated; i.e., easy on/off?

And..no...more...accessory....websites!!!! :cry:

Thanks...Randy
    I have my safari top on for the summer (got some serious sunburn in just a couple of hours driving this weekend, prior to my lift install and after my lift install).

Instead of worrying about rain, I use that safari top in conjunction with a Jeepcovers.com cover that will even cover the opening left when the doors are removed. This way, I don't have to worry about raising or lowering the top or worrying about whether I have the doors on or off.

-Paul
    Paul:

Thanks....another Jeep site I'll have to look into now!

Appreciate the reply.

Randy
    Are you going to use wheel spacers or get new wheels when you go to an 11" wide tire? Just curious.

I would be afaid to trust wheel spacers, but I know some designs are supposed to be OK. Still, I don't think I would ever use them.

Tomster

Paul:

I should have asked...does the rain cover you have from jeepcovers.com serve the intended purpose; i.e., easy on if it rains unexpectedly (and waterproof!?).

Thanks..

Randy
    Tom, not sure yet. Since the spacers are about as expensive as wheels, I MIGHT be able to justify new wheels to the wife and sell the Canyons, as much as I like em... I guess it depends on which tires I end up with. 31's and I wil keep the Canyons and just run 31x10.5 MT's. If I can go to 32's, then I'll probably decide then. :)

Randy, yeah it sure does. It is on my jeep right now out in the parking lot. I put it on this morning knowing it was going to rain today. But yesterday, I just finished washing the car and I saw the clouds and heard the thunder. I had the safari top AND the jeepcover on in less that 10 minutes. The safari took about 8 minutes, the jeep cover, 2 minutes. That includes securing it down with the straps. if you just want it on quickly, you can do it in less than that. I ALWAYS use the footman loop on the hood at a minimum in case the wind picks up.

As far as waterproof, YEP. We had some rains last week and I didn't have the safari on underneath, so the jeepcover had some play. Checked on it. There was a puddle of over 6" ON TOP of the cover. I got a bucket and bailed it out before I tried to remove it and get in. There is a rubberized layer in the cover that does well. If you have the doors off, you MIGHT get a little moisture in from a blowing rain, but it would be minimal.

-Paul
    Paul:

Thanks very much...just the answer I was looking for. Good move to bail the water off before removing the cover. The very short time I had a boat, I forgot to do that when I removed the cover. Loosened the bow strap, and the weight of the water caused the cover to collapse inside the boat...nice mess I had even before I launched it.

Thanks again.

Randy
    So erickpl,

Was the install easy? Did you go with the HD shocks as well?
    Randy,

Those covers are great to have. I found the Mopar one from a dealer on Ebay for $100 shipped. This cover goes for $150 at the dealer. The advantage of the Mopar cover vs. Bestop is that it will go on with the soft top or bikini top attached. With the Bestop model the top has to be completely down.
  • gsyoung1960gsyoung1960 Member Posts: 52
    Anyone got the Hard Top Storage Dolly? I've got an Unlimited w/dual tops coming in tomorrow, and was wandering which is the best way to store the hard top... dolly, or hoist?

The dolly would be nice since it's standing up, but I don't know how many folks it'll take to get it off. Anyone have experiences here? REALLY, how many would it take to get off the hard top, and put it on this dolly?

I like to hoist, as I think one person could do this, but I'll have to walk under it every time I go thru the garage... could be a bummer!

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated!

Scott
    Well, I did the whole thing by myself, if that is any indication.

Here is more of a detailed writeup...
    Well, after losing about what seems like 50 pounds in sweat this weekend (hot and humid!), everything is DONE! My helper (son) had some classes this weekend, so I did all of this solo.

What was expected to be about a 2.5" lift ended up being closer to 3.5" over what I had before! The rear springs are the OME's for an Unlimited (HD) and the front are the HD for the regular Wrangler. I'm sure it will settle a bit and end up around 3" until I add my winch. The lift doesn't really show up too well in any pics, but a couple of measurements on the rear showed nearly a 4" lift using the method described in OME's documentation vs what I had before I started. I think my stock stuff was definitely worn!

I'm not going to a writeup as there are LOTS of posts on how to do an OME writeup, but I'll add my experiences for those doing this same thing.

First, jack stands, a good floor jack, and the proper tools are a MUST!!! Before I started this, I went to Harbor Freight for their sidewalk sale and got a new set of open-ended wrenches REAL cheap when I was buying my right angle drill attachment. A rental spring compressor from Autozone is great too, esp with taller springs. A breaker bar really helped in SEVERAL instances.

Second, do the bar pin installation BEFORE you do the actual tear down and install. This saved me a LOT of sweat and frustration!

Third, take digital photos if you can of how everything goes together BEFORE you take it apart. I referred back to mine a couple of times to make sure I was doing it right. While the OME instructions are EXCELLENT, having photos helps me greatly.

Fourth, the rear suspension is a TON easier with that gas tank out of the way! I am SO glad I waited to do the Kilby at the same time. Once I finished the front, I realized this was NOT a 2.5" lift over what I previously had! So I started on the rear by doing the first part of the Kilby install and relieving fuel pressure, and dropping the tank. Setting it outside the garage and my work 'zone' while doing the work gave me a lot of room to get to the rear shocks and to do the trackbar relocation.

Fifth, that trackbar relocation bracket is a PITA to install, even with the gas tank out! I did the front in about 1.5-2 hours. The rear took probably twice that! The instructions have you put the rear springs back on before doing it, but you have to remove the driver rear spring to be able to drill the holes you need for the relo bracket. No biggie because once you unhook the trackbar, the rear sags down JUST fine to fit the springs in there. Hooking it back up, well, that is a little more challenging!

Sixth, the Kilby installed just fine, once the hoses are all routed properly. One thing I did NOT see in the instructions is the stuff about the ground strap for the gas tank. I tore mine when I dropped the tank and realized that when I was about to put the new one on and saw a piece of something hanging from my frame... What's THAT? OOPS! Well, creative electrical engineering, electrical tape, and duct tape work wonders to reattach that (for now).

Seventh, the Kilby is a tight fit and it wanted to fit towards the front of its mounting slots. Well, a 6' steel bar took care of that so I could shift it back a bit and give the track bar some more flex room.

Eighth, remember to reconnect your gas tank wiring and hoses before you start the Jeep. Easier to start that way.

Ninth, I had to install the t-case drop. Vibes were not bad, but noticable enough under acceleration that it bugged me and I didn't want to screw anything up. Thank goodness for breaker bars (picked one up at HF Sat morning too)!

Driving impressions:
    WOAH! it rides REAL smooth on road and has no problems with potholes or bumps. I heard a couple of BANGS on the first test drive as everything settled. I stopped to make sure nothing fell off and everything was tight (took tools with me on the drive). I suspect it was just the springs coming into place finally. Alignment is not an issue - Kermit tracks straight and true. But I'll probably verify the alignment and toe-in another evening just to make sure once the suspension has done its settling. The front axle is off a bit side to side, but I'm not going to drill a hole in the factory trackbar. After messing with the rear, I was too tired and worn to care about a little side to side issue. Everything is secure, Kermit tracks straight, so I'll just by an adjustable front bar from Rusty's at some point and call it good. For now it is fine.

If you have any questions, just let me know!

-Paul
    But I'll probably verify the alignment and toe-in another evening just to make sure once the suspension has done its settling.

The toe setting will need resetting. Don't drive too far before doing it.
    would be TOO far? I could probably do it this weekend, but I'm not driving the Jeep every day either. If today's downpours are any indication of the weather this week, I'll be driving the 4door this week. :)

-Paul
    How long is a piece of string? ;)

Just drive it as little as possible to reduce excessive wear on the edges of the front tires.
    Will drive it home tonite and leave it. How long does it normally take to adjust the toe-in on a Jeep? 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 2 hours?...

-Paul
  • embeedueceembeeduece Member Posts: 260
    How about "Spot?" As in X marks the....

Edit: just saw you went with eXcalibur. Nice.

Named mine Silver. As in "Hi ho..."

BTW, I'm very happy with my factory stereo. Sure, there are better systems, but for the acoustics of a Jeep, it's perfectly satisfactory.
    It will probably take you less than an hour to adjust the toe and realign the steering wheel. Of course, you could wait on the steering wheel alignment until you get the adjustable track bar, which will put the steering wheel back to its correct position anyway. It'll just be intensely annoying until then, as you have to look at a misaligned steering wheel every time you drive..

You might also consider an engine mount lift rather than the transfer case drop. It achieves the same thing and you don't lose any ground clearance.
    I'll be interested in what you find out. I've had the same shaking phenomenon exactly 3 times in a year and a half. Haven't had the time to get it investigated properly. Keep us posted.

-Mike
  • mike_cmike_c Member Posts: 8
    It takes 2 people about 5 or 10 minutes to remove the hard top and put it on the dolly. If you don't have a volunteer, you'll need the hoist anyway. Personally, I use the hoist without the dolly.

Mike
    It's a Jeep thing... I understand.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I was able to go offroad today after owning the Rubi Unlimited since December. I came accross a place just northeast of Dallas while i was working that has some very nice creek crossings, hills and mud pits. I just had to head out on the trails after i finished my home inspection. I hit 6 different creek crossings, two of which were very steep coming out. Lots of mud bogs several deep ones which were easily handeled by the jeep. I did come close to getting stuck when exiting a creek when it was steep and muddy but after several trys i came out muddy but happy, lol......i have one good pic coming out of the creek but posting pics is beyond me on this forum.....
    So did you use your air lockers on those steep hills?
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I'll be interested in what you find out. I've had the same shaking phenomenon exactly 3 times in a year and a half. Haven't had the time to get it investigated properly. Keep us posted.

-Mike

it happened to me today too, I hit a series of bumps while I was driving about 55- 60 , and the jeep started shaking.

I stopped to see if something had broke or came loose, nothing found. I drove another 60 miles before getting home and it drove normally.

jeff
    Uh-oh. Hope we aren't headed for a recall.
  • blue_jepp_wrablue_jepp_wra Member Posts: 24
    I just got my mirror today and removed my doors it definetly gives the jeep a new cooler look
  • jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    what mirror did you get??
    Here ya go, Old Buddy.

Now, be careful about wheelin' solo. Jeeps are amazing, but even Jeeps have their limits.

Tomster

P.S.

I'm not sure if that was the hardest crossing that Jeff was talking about or not, but you have to realize that pictures never really show how tough something is. Looks to me like Jeff had already come over the top, but if you look just behind the back of his Jeep, it seems that the creek bank goes just about straight down. That would have been the hard part.
  • durability05durability05 Member Posts: 142
    I agree , the 04 hardtop is lighter, when I bought the Mopar hardtop for my 04 "X" last year, it weighed much less than I thought. Also the newer hardtops do not have the side vents, I think the newer Wranglers vent thru the tailgate
    The summer heat and humidity has set in, and my Best Bud can't take the heat like he used to. I can't either, but it would still be worth it to me to stay topless and doorless. Poor old Ross Allen was miserable, or so it appeared, Sunday.

Does anyone know of a good way to keep RA cool in the back of my Jeep when the Jeep is topless? If there is no good way to do it, I guess the top is going back on, and the air conditioner will be used while we are wheelin'.

Tomster

• por2gesfiremanpor2gesfireman Member Posts: 16
    Anyone know if you can hook up any CD changer to my factory 03 Rubicon CD player or does it only work with the Mopar one? thanks Mike A.
  • blue_jepp_wrablue_jepp_wra Member Posts: 24
    I forgot what mirror i got but it was 50 bucks on quadratic.com or whatever that site is for one. Then tonight me and my brother went off roading and realized i need to get new tires and a better jack because I snagged somthing and was just spinning and then got stuck and took like 45 mins to get unstuck because the jack sucks but it was fun up until we got stuck
  • danamy3danamy3 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I bought this 86 Subaru XT about 3 months ago from a lady
    who had not driven it in 7 years. She said it died on her one day and a puff of black smoke came out the exhaust pipe. Over the last 3 months I have corrected the positioning of the timing belts, installed a new fuel pump because the original one was burnt out. And recently I replaced the Oil pump because the other one had no pressure because one mechanic told me that some vehichles have a safety feature to shut down the engine if oil pressure ever drops. I have also replaced the ignition coil and am getting plenty of fire to all four plugs, but my injectors have always been dry. So, I recently have tried to discover why I have not been getting enough volts to the injectors and they all seem to fall within the correct Ohm range. Plus, I have looked at my Hayne's Manual wiring diagram and the injectors are in a loop with the computer, injector test socket, and fusible link off of the battery. Therefore, I have talked to different mechanics and they tell me that the computer serves as a ground for the injectors and controls the electronic pulse to them. Maybe there is another sensor that is signaling my computer to not send enough voltage to the injectors. Oh, I almost forgot. If I put a little gas straight into the air intake the engine seems to run for a few seconds until the fuel poured in runs out. I appreciate any further assistance that you can give me.

Thanks,

Dan
    Any way you can set up a water misting system for him?

One way is to get a pump-up sprayer that holds at least a gallon. You can either use it 'as is' and just mist him (and yourself) with the wand, or maybe run some ¼" or so flexible tubing that been pierced with pin holes around the roll bar and connect it to the bare end of the wand. Just give it a blast every few minutes or so.

The technology is well recognised and is often used when fixed around fans (the type that blow air!) at football games, or in amusement parks. It's the evaporation of the mist on your skin that gives the cooling effect. It won't hurt the Jeep at all and would be low cost enough to experiment with..................and of course, if you turn it into a commercial system I'd like my cut please. ;)
    I'll be super impressed if Mac can solve this one!

-Mike
    Hi Danamy3, you seem to have dropped into the wrong forum for your problem as this is the Jeep Wrangler section.

Check out the 'Browse by Topic' on the left, drop down to 'Maint and Repair' then select 'Fuel'.

Good luck.
    I'll be super impressed if Mac can solve this one!

I may not know all the answers, but I know where to find the answers! :P

Actually, troubleshooting is pretty much the same for all vehicles, but it's knowing the particular idiosyncrasies for each one that helps get the answers more quickly.

It sounds like the 'computer' isn't firing the fuel injectors in that particular case, but the trick is to know the likeliest component to fail first on a Subaru.
  • spoonpluggerspoonplugger Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like it could be an oxygen sensor also. Subarus popping black smoke many times is the sensor. This is not a problem with just Subarus, the PCV valve is usually plumbed near oxy sensors and if it plugs or pops a piece of carbon and mung on the sensor your toast. The mechanics should have gotten a code off your computer for this problem. No oxy sensor, no fuel. just replacing the sensor could work, but many times the plumbing and PCV must be pulled and cleaned or replaced or particulate will just end up on thje Oxy sensor again. Cost my son about $200 to have it fixed on his Subaru.
    Spencer
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    The only potential downfall to the mister for Tom deals with KY's summer humidity. From my experience in Indiana, running 85-95% RH (guessing it's the same for Tom's part of KY), these misters really only get you wet. I know they do use them at amusement parks and football games, but they're more effective when water (or sweat) on your skin really does want to evaporate. Still, if it leaves you an option to go topless, it's sure worth a try!

A friend of mine here in OK rigged up a similar system for his speedboat. He used the tubing with small pin-holes (maybe even used nozzles intended for a drip irrigation system). Even though we have much higher RH than places like Utah or AZ, we only run 50% for the most part and the cooling effect is much more pronounced.

Not trying to pooh-pooh a good suggestion, but wanted to point out the perils associated with humidity! What do our Alabama and Florida buddies say?

Gary
  • redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    I reviewed a bunch of our postings, and see that many of us have really taken to using the emotorcons. I did notice one thing in our discussion area though.... I don't see any uses of this one - - :lemon:

Hmmmm...... maybe that's because we're all firmly entrenched in this "Wrangler cult" thing.....? I know my wife has accused me and my boys of this! (And Randy needs to be careful, since he's plugging into all these Jeep accessorizing sites - - it's only a matter of time til his wife comes to a similar conclusion!)

Gary
    In high humidity and still air it will do little more than make you wetter as you said. However, with the air turbulance generated while driving with the top down, the wind chill effect (just as relevant in summer as winter) aids evaporation and hence cooling, as you experienced on the speedboat. It's why they use the system combined with fans, rather than just spraying a mist on its own. It works well in the Florida amusement parks and it gets pretty humid there in the summer
    Interesting that the isn't any 'Jeep Wrangler - Problems and Solutions' discussion either.

You should see the Ford F-Series one! :surprise:
    Mac, I appreciate the suggestion about the mister, Mister. :)

But, does anyone on the board know if the only source for cooling that a doggy has is through his tongue, and, if so, does that make the mister ineffective as a solution to the problem?

Sunday, I wet RA's face from time to time with some of the water I carry for him. Also, gave him some ice from the cooler to chew on a few times.

Leaving him home ain't an option. It would break his heart and mine too. You should see how excited he gets when I gather up the cooler and my camera in preparation to go wheelin'.

I often play a little game at Ross Allen's expense before we go. My father in law is usually at our house for his breakfast when I leave to go wheelin'. He is a widower and lives right next door, so the wife includes him at breakfast time.

I will have my stuff gathered up, and Ross Allen knows where I am going. I pretend that he isn't even there and ask my father in law if he wants to go Jeepin' with me. He says no, and I ask him if he knows someone who would like to go. I start suggesting different people and then stating why each one probably would not be able to go. The longer I carry this on this monologue, the more excited RA gets. He whimpers and whines and walks around in circles at my feet. Finally, he yelps and jumps up on me. That puppy sure loves wheelin'!

Tomster